• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sig Wars Part two***dead line reached6/20

Frate

Smash Journeyman
TWO sigs on FOUR days? kidding me? ;X

most other competitions have like, one or two weeks for ONE sig. It's especially hard for those who are in a slump.

Why not just one? There's no reason for two until the next round in the tournament...

Frate

Smash Journeyman
TWO sigs on FOUR days? kidding me? ;X

most other competitions have like, one or two weeks for ONE sig. It's especially hard for those who are in a slump.

Why not just one? There's no reason for two until the next round in the tournament...
I'm quoting this since it was in a horrible position in the thread. Hopefully it'll be easier to read now! ^__^

Naybewon

Smash Ace
I'm quoting this since it was in a horrible position in the thread. Hopefully it'll be easier to read now! ^__^
I think that's what makes it such a great competition! You have to work quickly and efficiently (besides, if you were given two sig requests, wouldn't you make them in LESS than 4 days apart from one another?)

I think it's pretty fair.

Frate

Smash Journeyman
I think that's what makes it such a great competition! You have to work quickly and efficiently (besides, if you were given two sig requests, wouldn't you make them in LESS than 4 days apart from one another?)

I think it's pretty fair.
Before you read this post, I want you to know I do not mean ANYTHING offensive at all and I like you, I have no feelings of dislike or anything,
but...

When you get better in the world of graphics, you'll know that you don't simply pump out sigs in the same rate, and it's easier to get so called "slumps".
When I was a novice, I could easily create like 3 tags a day. Now I make like one every three days if I'm LUCKY (can be due to school work also, but...)

Most competitions have two weeks for ONE tag, but here he has 4 days for TWO.
If it's a competition, why make two? One tag on 4 days seems DECENTLY fair enough (barely) but two is just close to unjust

--------

here's a tag I stressed with... all selfmade c4ds
just a quickie

edit : uploading new version

Roller

Smash Legend
Before you read this post, I want you to know I do not mean ANYTHING offensive at all and I like you, I have no feelings of dislike or anything,
but...

When you get better in the world of graphics, you'll know that you don't simply pump out sigs in the same rate, and it's easier to get so called "slumps".
When I was a novice, I could easily create like 3 tags a day. Now I make like one every three days if I'm LUCKY (can be due to school work also, but...)

If it's a competition, why make two? One tag on 4 days seems DECENTLY fair enough (barely) but two is just close to unjust

--------

just a quickie

edit : uploading new version
I have got to agree with Frate. I've been working on the same animation from a request for a little over 2 days now. And I looked around on other forums (not all SSB ones) and their competitions do usually have like 2 weeks.
And no offense but I am putting my requests above this in priority because that is the point of making sigs here.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
but...

I don't have any ill-feelings toward you either, but to defend my position:

"When you get better in the world of graphics, you'll know that you don't simply pump out sigs in the same rate, and it's easier to get so called 'slumps'."

I'm a Junior, almost Senior, at the Savannah College of Art and Design. It's been declared and celebrated as one of the best, top art schools in the U.S. and not an easy school to get into, much less one to get out of.

My major is Advertising, a major with a heavy influence from graphic design AND a heavy influence on time and how, in the real-world, there is usually little time to get into "slumps". When a client gives you a 10 hour deadline for a full CAMPAIGN (3 to 5 print ads or 1 fully developed, with storyboarding TV spot), you're not allowed to tell them "it isn't fair" and that you "need more time". What the client wants, the client gets.

As far as this competition goes, the "client" wants 2 top-level sigs in 4 days. While it's true that I could probably make something better given a week, a month, a YEAR, I and everyone else have been given 4 days. That's what makes it a challenge.

If you happen to be in a slump right now and feel that NOTHING can inspire you, then what can I say? Just do your best! It's not like anything you make for a sig contest on SWF can be used in a portfolio to get you a job. It's just for fun.

You could also drop out of this, if the workload is too annoying or time-consuming for you OR hold your own contest if you're unhappy with the rules in this one. I'd join that one too (if you'd let me...again, nothing I'm saying here is being said with malice or ill-will)

Also: on my current sig thread, I pump 2 or 3 sigs out per day because of the sheer volume of people requesting, in addition to the fact that I'm not going to treat each sig like it's a rebranding request from Bank of America. Nobody's paying me to make them, so I'm going to do a good job with a short amount of time and give them away. People are still happy if not blown away by the sigs they receive from myself and most other sig makers on this board. I'm sure they'd be EXTRA blown away if they could see what I can make given a week or a month, but they don't know the difference and to be honest...MOST people don't care THAT much how much time you've spent on it and WOULD be just has happy with a 1 hour sig as a 1 week sig.

It's more "cost-effective" to do it quickly, ESPECIALLY since it's charity work and I have paying clients (for advertising) to get to as well.

just a quickie
Your "slump" is better than most "active" sig artists' work. So don't sweat it! (the one with the unblurred background is the best of the bunch)

Edit:

Rollerking540 said "I have got to agree with Frate. I've been working on the same animation from a request for a little over 2 days now."

Animation requests are entirely different from graphic design requests. I DO think that those doing an animation should only have to submit one, but I hold firm on the time limit. Animation majors who have to make a full scene, DRAWN, or 3D oftentimes get just 24 hours to do so, IF that much. Again, that's why this is a competition!

Frate

Smash Journeyman
I don't have any ill-feelings toward you either, but to defend my position:

"When you get better in the world of graphics, you'll know that you don't simply pump out sigs in the same rate, and it's easier to get so called 'slumps'."

I'm a Junior, almost Senior, at the Savannah College of Art and Design. It's been declared and celebrated as one of the best, top art schools in the U.S. and not an easy school to get into, much less one to get out of.

My major is Advertising, a major with a heavy influence from graphic design AND a heavy influence on time and how, in the real-world, there is usually little time to get into "slumps". When a client gives you a 10 hour deadline for a full CAMPAIGN (3 to 5 print ads or 1 fully developed, with storyboarding TV spot), you're not allowed to tell them "it isn't fair" and that you "need more time". What the client wants, the client gets.

As far as this competition goes, the "client" wants 2 top-level sigs in 4 days. While it's true that I could probably make something better given a week, a month, a YEAR, I and everyone else have been given 4 days. That's what makes it a challenge.

If you happen to be in a slump right now and feel that NOTHING can inspire you, then what can I say? Just do your best! It's not like anything you make for a sig contest on SWF can be used in a portfolio to get you a job. It's just for fun.

You could also drop out of this, if the workload is too annoying or time-consuming for you OR hold your own contest if you're unhappy with the rules in this one. I'd join that one too (if you'd let me...again, nothing I'm saying here is being said with malice or ill-will)

Also: on my current sig thread, I pump 2 or 3 sigs out per day because of the sheer volume of people requesting, in addition to the fact that I'm not going to treat each sig like it's a rebranding request from Bank of America. Nobody's paying me to make them, so I'm going to do a good job with a short amount of time and give them away. People are still happy if not blown away by the sigs they receive from myself and most other sig makers on this board. I'm sure they'd be EXTRA blown away if they could see what I can make given a week or a month, but they don't know the difference and to be honest...MOST people don't care THAT much how much time you've spent on it and WOULD be just has happy with a 1 hour sig as a 1 week sig.

It's more "cost-effective" to do it quickly, ESPECIALLY since it's charity work and I have paying clients (for advertising) to get to as well.

Your "slump" is better than most "active" sig artists' work. So don't sweat it! (the one with the unblurred background is the best of the bunch)

Edit:

Rollerking540 said "I have got to agree with Frate. I've been working on the same animation from a request for a little over 2 days now."

Animation requests are entirely different from graphic design requests. I DO think that those doing an animation should only have to submit one, but I hold firm on the time limit. Animation majors who have to make a full scene, DRAWN, or 3D oftentimes get just 24 hours to do so, IF that much. Again, that's why this is a competition!
Sorry, I was extremely quick in my post. When I meant "in world of graphics", I meant "the signature world". Now that I read through my post again, I noticed it was offending in the way I put it. Sorry :(

Naybewon

Smash Ace
Sorry, I was extremely quick in my post. When I meant "in world of graphics", I meant "the signature world". Now that I read through my post again, I noticed it was offending in the way I put it. Sorry :(
No worries :) Like I said, I'm not upset with you or anything. Just wanted to post my take on the issue.

Edit:

And I DON'T by any means claim to be the best or even a good signature artist. I'm an advertising design person, first and foremost.

Chaco

Never Logs In

Yeah, I've seen the animation, and advise him on it for the Ice Climbers, well sonce I requested someone to make an IC chain grabbing gif., and he was the only one I saw fit to complete it with the skill, and precision for this thing to look great, it's been like 2 days now, and he is getting close to done. We had like two pages talking about options on how to coorelate the chains to the sprites, and how to do an ice Block lock from a chain in a gif.

So with that being done, I'm going to have to say that one animation can take the time from two sigs easily.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
Lol I was wondering what that word was supposed to be ^-^

EDIT:

I have a question, doom. Are you going to make a new thread for the final posting and judging of the sigs on Saturday? And I'm assuming we'll be able to post them any time during Saturday and judging would therefore be on Sunday?

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Lol I was wondering what that word was supposed to be ^-^

EDIT:

I have a question, doom. Are you going to make a new thread for the final posting and judging of the sigs on Saturday? And I'm assuming we'll be able to post them any time during Saturday and judging would therefore be on Sunday?
whats gonna happen is by the 14 Saturday all your sigs must be summited here then i will make a judging thread where we judge. ( i will have everyones entries on that post the ill give a couple of days to judge **due to people not spending their lives on the boards. )

Frate

Smash Journeyman
the amount of time i gave is not insouciant.
Eh, believe me, it IS
How come all other sites have like 10 days for 1 sig?
That's because they know what they are doing and don't spam signatures (right here, it's different, since most people here are low level... not to mean anything offensive, what I mean is that most here has gfx-ed a month)

I'll try my best though.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Eh, believe me, it IS
That's because they know what they are doing and don't spam signatures (right here, it's different, since most people here are low level... not to mean anything offensive, what I mean is that most here has gfx-ed a month)

I'll try my best though.
Rules - dead line 6/14/08 (can be extended) Regestration is still open
look 10 char

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Eh, believe me, it IS

I'll try my best though.
He does say in the first post
(can be extended)
Just ask for it. ;)

EDIT: He beat me to it.

Also, when you enter any graphics competition, be prepared to deal with this kind of stuff.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
fuks, i just realized that the deadline was saturday, lol. i thought that saturday was the deadline for registration.

A_man13

Smash Master
Man, this wont be fun. I got slamed with sig requests (Somerwhere in the 14 range) and I haven't even started this yet.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Man, this wont be fun. I got slamed with sig requests (Somerwhere in the 14 range) and I haven't even started this yet.
They used to sound like me. ;)

I have a sig shop open at another forum though, so I feel ya. Besides, its always good to step away from requests and make stuff for yourself. I'm surprised how much I learn when I just make a sig for the heck of it.

A_man13

Smash Master
Alright. This will come first. And besides, I need a break from sig requests anyways. It's tough since I opened a new shop and within 1 hour of opening I had 7 sigs, 1 banner, and was the official graphics person of the sight.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright. This will come first. And besides, I need a break from sig requests anyways. It's tough since I opened a new shop and within 1 hour of opening I had 7 sigs, 1 banner, and was the official graphics person of the sight.
For me, its more like 12. I had to close here permanently because there was too much demand.

A_man13

Smash Master
Oh. Well, it could be worse: I get no requests and have to close. At least I'm in demand. I closed both of my shops and this will be top priority. I'll get schooled, but at least I want to be better than all the gimp users (-Marthmaster, + DoomDragon).

Chaco

Never Logs In
I'm surprised that there are no FMA, Deathnote, or Advent Children sigs.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Oh. Well, it could be worse: I get no requests and have to close. At least I'm in demand. I closed both of my shops and this will be top priority. I'll get schooled, but at least I want to be better than all the gimp users (-Marthmaster, + DoomDragon).
i dont use gimp. i use photoshop elements. bet no one uses that lol

Frate

Smash Journeyman
how about this:

extend it to between a week to 10 days

then I promise I won't whine and I think there's be much less complaints too! ^__^

Top Bottom