• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social *sigh* oh the life of a Zelda main [A new zelda discussion zone]

Upke

Smash Journeyman
Ouch, but true.

I play with a Falcon main that's kicking my ass. I'm about even with him on my Ganon, but my Zelda feels so hopeless. He tends to dash dance and wait for me to approach, but I'm Zelda! I don't want to approach unless I really have to, but he's more patient than I am. I guess if there was money on the line, I'd be more willing to camp, but camping's so boring and anti-hype. What can I do that isn't just standing there longer than him?

TheLake

Smash Master
You can bait stuff. Like retreat a kick so he comes in then just kick him :D

Or be a real man

and use falling nair to upsmash

Do upsmash alot

especially out of shield

you can do it i believe in your soul

Impp

Smash Ace
Falcon is probably my least favorite match up. I generally dash dance and close in and try to kick his approach on reaction, with limited success.

Zelda out-ranges falcon if both are in the air. If you can bait him into doing an aerial, things will be good. The Falcon will generally stay grounded however. It seems Zelda's kind of at the mercy of his DD camping. A lot of time I dash attack and get punished. You can try jabs. They make for good bait some times, but I think even these can be punished. I guess a good strategy would be close in with a dash dancing, and then use a retreating b-air like, The Lake said, when you get kind of close. I'm gonna try the n-air approach.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
I do like to throw out kicks, but he's really smart about it. If I kick right out of SH, he knows I can fit a second one in before I hit the ground so he waits for that, and he grabs me before I can jump back into the air and do another kick, becuase Zelda's jump is pretty slow. And he's so fast!

And I've seen you and Cosmo use upsmash OoS a good amount, so I definitely do that. :) The only problem is if one hits, he'll start approaching with full hop stomps. If he does that while I'm dash dancing, I can easily avoid it and punish with a bair, but if I'm in the shield, he goes from stomp to gentleman, and I can't seem to get a grab in. I usually roll away, but he either grabs me or it goes back to neutral.

Do you think I'd be able to fit in a downsmash instead of trying to jump and do another kick? I know it comes out pretty fast, but it wouldn't really be helpful if he's at low percents. I'll totally check out the nair approach though.:bee:

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Zelda does not outrange Falcon in the air.

Zelda doesn't outrange falcon ever

Getting caught in the air the Zelda's #1 bane vs Falcon

Use the Marth rule, stay grounded as much as possible

Upke

Smash Journeyman
Well, I know I've kicked through his nair a couple of times, which seems to be a very long ranged attack, but I know it has two different hits, so it could've been between those.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
You could've hit it

Falcon's nair has less priority than most expect. In fact, most of his aerials don't have amazing priority, they're just fast coming out, hit hard, and have low lag

Upke

Smash Journeyman
Alright, cool. That's good to know.

And for anyone who's been struggling against Falcon like me, I learned something I should have known a long time ago and I feel stupid for having not realised it. Falcons approach with nair a lot, and the one I fight also does a lot of tomahawks, and dash attacks will disrupt both of those approaches. Just a small tip, in case you were as forgetful as I.

Bing

Smash Master
Saturday someone wanted to play seriously with me... so I used Zelda to troll, scored a few Zero to deaths.. Gotta love Falco. Also, Uair is too good if they keep Di-ing into it...

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
What does everyone think of U-tilt? When I played Zelda in some friendlies I thought it was actually pretty good.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
I don't find a lot of situations to use it in. When I'm chaingrabbing spacies, or throwing other characters up at low percents, I use it at the end for extra damage and try to follow up with a bair or fair.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
Is it necessary though? At those percents, I usually just fsmash or more commonly lightning kick after a dtilt. I guess style is never a bad thing. :cool:

Oh, and on characters with bad recovery, I like to dsmash and watch them squirm.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Learn the more for sure stuff first things like up-throw chain throws, d-smash/edge hog recovery and then fit in fancy stuff that is harder to land in the same cases.

My buddy plays watch and has aweful edge guard and i've told him if he were only drop fair, d-tilt and edge guard or nair them when they land he would nearly always and easily get the edge guard then he can try and be fancy with bacon and etc.

SamusPoop

Banned via Warnings
Found out if You're running and turn around You can turn around jump really fast as zedla. Good for faster edge hog like marth's full hop bair.

Also got side-b jab reset dash attack->dash attack-> fair

Impp

Smash Ace
I think I know what he's talking about. If you're running with Zelda and go into her full dash, past the point of dash dance range, and then press the opposite direction to turn around, during her turn around animation if you jump Zelda will be facing the opposite direction in the air and still carry her momentum toward the direction she was initially facing. It can make for good edge hogs.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
It's decent. If I'm pretty far away and I want to edgehog, I'll do what he's describing. Most of the time though, I'll just do a moonwalk or wavedash since I'm close enough.

Impp

Smash Ace
Yeah, it also works if you run to the edge then turnaround and then wavedash back during the animation to grab the ledge directly. I've caught some shino stalling Sheiks by doing that.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it also works if you run to the edge then turnaround and then wavedash back during the animation to grab the ledge directly. I've caught some shino stalling Sheiks by doing that.
The dash to turnaround wavedash edgehog is smooth as ****. I was just trying it out today and of course no one sees it coming because hardly anyone plays Zelda.

Impp

Smash Ace
By turnaround, do you mean the animation that occurs if you don't dash dance properly?
Yeah. As Zelda, if you interrupt the animation with a jump she will be facing in the opposite direction that she was running. I'm not sure if this is exclusive to Zelda, but I know with some of the other characters I've tried it with, they stay facing the same direction they were running if you jump during the turn around animation.

Top Bottom