• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sightseeing around Genesis weekend? - Alcatraz anyone?

Browny

Smash Hater
So around the genesis weekend I really wanna see some of the sites of SF and was wondering if anyone else here had a similar idea... Namely, Yosemite national park, Alcatraz and the Golden Gate area. Since it is far cheaper and easier to do things in a group, if other people plan on similar things can they please post about it here? Doing such touristy things based from antioch is apparently a pain because of how far it is from the main city (not to mention Yosemite tour buses dont even service that area) so Im looking at sharing a hotel room if possible in main city area for a few nights to be able to actually see SF after genesis :)

---

On that note, if anyone happens to live near the main city and is willing to provide housing, that would be great :O

Browny

Smash Hater
Oh, cool

bumping for great justice.

Theres a few things I wanna see and do but am limited by the fact that I dont want to hire a car in USA because driving on the opposite side of the road, in big city traffic, is too daunting for me lol. If anyone else plans to go sightseeing in a group and has a car, that would be awesome :o

Browny

Smash Hater
Well, the three places I listed in the OP. I realise a Yosemite tour is quite a hassle (tour buses only depart from San Fran main area at 7.00am, it takes over 1.5 hours to get there from antioch >_>) but alcatraz shouldnt be hard.

I dont actually know any others, those are just what I've been told. If people happen to know of other sites to see while your there, post em lol.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
On July 18th if there wont be any smash to play at the hotel I will probably go to SF. I wanted to go the Exploratorium but apparently it's closed on Mondays...

Browny

Smash Hater
OK so I've pretty much sorted out my itinerary, as in the dates I will be in each city, however still planning the sight seeing.

So bumping this thread to get expressions of interest in going to see alcatraz one one of the days before or after genesis. Personally, I plan on going on the thursday before or tuesday/wednesday after genesis 2nd preference. If anyone here plans on touring alcatraz please post :) Apparently in the summer months you have to book tickets quite early (I've heard 2-3 months prior) to get the best times etc.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Me and the other Frenchies are interested. But I don't know what will be our intinerary so I can't promise anything right now (just like I can't take my bus tickets yet :()

Browny

Smash Hater
Dude thats awesome lol, multi-national tour :p

Like I said, a date isnt necessary, Im just trying to see how many people care enough to actually want to do it. I expect most people will rather stay in the hotel playing smash all day >_> If other people are interested, I'll hold off booking anything and If I have to book, other people can know of the option of sharing cabs etc :)

Browny

Smash Hater
Well I've now decided I will DEFINITELY be booking a hotel/hostel for the monday/tuesday-thursday after the tournament in the san fran main city area, the extra cost is worth it and its so much closer to the city sights. For anyone else who may plan on sightseeing (and in my case, potentially going on a day trip to yosemite national park) I would STRONGLY suggest looking in to doing the same. Could share a hotel and save a lot of money if anyone else wants :)

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I'll see with according to what I'll do (I plan to travel around all of California), and what the other French players plan to do. But since we decided to split if we want to see different things, I'm likely to do just like you. I'm especially interested by a trip to the Yosemite Park, as I already got to do a bit of sightseeing in SF in 2009.

Browny

Smash Hater
Bumping for great justice

I will be booking my flights from vegas-san fran soon and my accommodation in the bay area for the days after genesis as well. Consequently, the days for which I am able to actually go sight-seeing will depend on this.

If anyone else plans on doing some of the above tourist attractions while in san fran and wouldnt mind doing it with another smasher, please let me know asap before I book things. Gotta book 2-3 months in advance to guarantee best times and lowest prices etc.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
There is something you should probably know if you plan on going to all these places.

Yosimite is on the EASTERN side of the state, NOT near the bay area which is on the WEST side.
It will probably take you about 4 1/2-5 hours of driving at the LEAST to get to it.

Now if you can get people who want to go with you, thats all good but I'm letting you know now you'll be going out of your way to do it. That being said I hope you enjoy CA

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
^ Want to visit Alcatraz as well.

I would love to join this group tour. What are the current plans to start it?

Browny

Smash Hater
Well no plans as of yet, but it does look like its mostly likely to go ahead on one of the days prior to genesis.

Personally Ill be getting in to SF earlier, like on the wednesday. so I was thinking thursday/friday? I dont even know what day genesis starts on lol, if its friday or saturday.

Browny

Smash Hater
A few days?

Everything I've read says a few MONTHS

Granted that is for the best times and prices, but I most defninitely wont be waiting any more than a month in advance till I book mine lol.

---
VANS da bess, btw

Browny

Smash Hater
Well I've booked my flights for my stay in San Francisco.

Arriving wednesday 13th afternoon.
Leaving thursday 21st evening.

So considering I still dont know whether genesis is fri-sun or sat-mon, looks like thursday is likely for me. If it is sat-mon i expect most people would be arriving closer to the date so friday would be more likely. Of course I'm still up for anything after genesis for a few days, I'm just not sure how many others will be hanging around after the weekend, as oppose to earlier :o

Browny

Smash Hater
Well as ive now passed the 2 months till I leave I wanna try sort this stuff out asap so i might send a PM out to everyone who responded to this thread soon and see if we can figure out a more likely time this will happen (before or after).

Due to how far antioch is away from everything, physically getting there will be a hassle and somethings gotta be figured out. Not now, but it will be an issue which could potentially keep some from going when others are able to. Since Ill be staying (hopefully) in inner san-fran for some of the days afterwards that would make it considerably easier to base it from there but I know most will stay at antioch.

idk, maybe sharing a taxis from antioch-pittsburgh bart or something and same on return... argh so many things to think about.

Browny

Smash Hater
hmmmmm

This becomes tricky. Getting to san fran from antioch is a royal pain I've heard and I will not be spending 2 hours to and from to get there. Add to this they only do night tours on thurs-monday nights (as in, prep for gen / dying after gen) it really cut down my options.

So for now I'm going to be in SF for the tuesday and wednesday night after genesis as a hotel there with some others im dragging along on an alcatraz tour. Staying at a hotel prior to gen solely for an alcatraz tour isnt worth it and I do rate 4~ hours of transport at a worth of over $100 :( So what all this means, Is basically I will not be doing an alcatraz tour before genesis.

I will be booking my tickets soon, likely for a wednesday morning one so if anyone would want to come along youre welcome.

I honestly thought genesis was on sat-monday which would have made a tour the day before feasible >_< Sorry to anyone who planned on doing this as a group with me beforehand.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
The Bay Area has one of the best public transportation systems in California. I'm sure you could take the Bart from Antioch to SF. That's how I'm getting to Genesis and back.

Seriously. The Bart. ;)

Browny

Smash Hater
yeah, and from pittsburg bart to pier 33 is 1:34 according to google maps, then add time to get from antioch to pittsburg + arriving early to not miss it, its over 2 hours easily :/

:phone:

Walt

Smash Ace
if it makes you feel any better, alcatraz suuucks. it is so boring. the best part about it is lying down on a jail bed and saying "wow this is really uncomfortable". the best part about alcatraz is HURTING YOUR BACK.

Browny

Smash Hater
Hey I could say the same thing about Sydney, but that doesnt stop tourists flocking here and having to pay $27 an hour for parking in the city... lol

Top Bottom