• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Signature of the Week [Hiatus]

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
SIGNATURE OF THE WEEK

Welcome to Signature of the Week, an ongoing periodical contest for signature artists! Each contest will have its own theme, and participants will compete to determine who can create a signature that matches the theme while exhibiting style, innovation, and technical prowess.

Voting will be done once the submission period has ended. A thread will be created for each contest with all of the entries for public voting, arranged in a poll. All submissions should be sent to me in a private message by the deadline so that they can be included in the poll. This thread will serve as a hub containing guidelines, hall of fame, and to answer questions about the contest. The title will reflect the current prompt and deadline.

All Global Rules apply for submissions.

Voting for yourself is not allowed, of course.

Asking friends to vote for your submission is also forbidden.

Use your own work! You can use renders and stocks as subject matter, but stealing entire signatures is forbidden. It's also your responsibility to be cautious about using copyrighted images as renders/stocks. Make sure the work is your own in some way. If you're unsure about whether something is theft or not, just ask here. It's generally better to err on the safe side.

The submission also needs to be new work made specifically for the contest. Don't recycle entries for multiple contests.

If anyone is found cheating in any way, shape or form, they'll have to be disqualified, plain and simple, and forbidden from entering future contests. It's really not worth it. The purpose of the contest is to have fun and sharpen your skills amongst other artists.

Size requirements: Maximum of 550 x 250 pixels (or 250 x 550 for verticals). Minimum of 250 x 75 (or 75 x 250 for verticals). Horizontal or vertical submissions are allowed. Animated signatures are allowed as well.

Good luck to all entrants! Use this thread to ask questions or discuss any concerns about the contest.

Snuc

Smash Apprentice
IT LIVES! *EVIL SCIENTIST LAUGH* MUAHAHAHA :3

Lets get to it everyone! I am so pumped for this!

Neon Ness

are animated sig accepted ?
Sure, why not. If you feel you're able to pull it off well, then by all means.

Sooo by freestyle does that mean anything goes? :o
Within Global Rules of course. :cool:

But yeah, it kind of depends on how you interpret the word. For some it might mean doing something you're comfortable with, while others might want to express a form of rapping. It's a simple enough prompt that I thought most people would be able to work in their comfort zone, but you also want to be creative/innovative. Don't feel like you necessarily have to stick to the first definition that comes to mind. If you do something too random it might not attract a lot of votes, so it's tricky.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Animated images? How can you usually do that if your just using images? I think Photoshop CS5 can do it but I'm still rather new to it and the signatures and avatars I make are still experiments and test.

Neon Ness

Yeah, you could even do animation in Photoshop CS3.

There are other ways to do it though, you can export an animation from Flash, or technically even make a really small canvas in AfterEffects and use that for animation. I'm sure people have found a bunch of other better animation methods as well.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Thanks for the help on that. I've been wanting to try an animated signature with the images I have saved but never understood how to go about it. I'll have to look around Photoshop when I get the chance! Thanks again! =)

Neon Ness

Four more days! We've got a few submissions already, but hopefully I'll see some more closer to the deadline.

As a side note about the deadline, I'll be graduating from college this Saturday; as result, in all likelihood I won't be posting the poll vote thread (or even on SWF period) until Monday once all of the chaos has died down. To be clear though, submissions still have to be in my inbox by 11:59 PM EST April 29.

Thanks for your patience, and I hope more siggy goodness is in the works for Friday.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Oh, this is cool! For sure entering next time.

What is with this wack max proportions though. 400 x 250? The SWF max sig limits are wider then that I'm sure.

Neon Ness

Oh, this is cool! For sure entering next time.

What is with this wack max proportions though. 400 x 250? The SWF max sig limits are wider then that I'm sure.
You wanna discuss changing the limit? I just tossed out something that didn't seem big to the extent of being awkward/bordering on 'large art' lol. We can increase the size restrictions if other people have an issue with it.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
It doesn't look like SWF has sig length restrictions anymore, but it used to be 550 x 125.

A max of 550 x 250 sounds perfect.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Your's actually crushes your postbit, but that's in the ancient days of Revolution. With the Vibrant update, sig length doesn't really matter as much.

Neon Ness

Well, now that the first run of SOTW has ended, anyone have any thoughts on improvement? Besides the lack of voters that is.

I know some people wanted to change the size restrictions so that can be fixed. Are people still interested in doing another? If so, I'll try to have a new prompt up Monday. I guess I should probably also change the title of the contest since this lasts longer than a week lol.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Same to you, Odin : )
You're insanely good, dude. Might be coming to you for some help or critiques sometime, if you don't mind.

Also, we both have Norse myth names. That is legit.

Neon Ness

New prompt is up.

Anyone who plans on entering for the first time, make sure to read all of the rules outlined on the first page, and ask any questions if you're confused about something.

Top Bottom