• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simon or Richter?

Who's the better Belmont and Vampire Hunter?

• Simon, always go with the OG.

Votes: 71 48.0%
  • Richter, ( hell the guy's name means Judge for Christ's sake!)

Votes: 77 52.0%

• Total voters

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
WoW, it took a while but it finally happened, especially given Konami's reputation as of late:rolleyes:. Have to say, I've always wanted some kind of long-range Swiss-army-knive kind of fighter, besides Snake ofc, and the Belmonts certainly fit the bill better than anyone else!

But who do you think is the superior Rep?
Cast your votes and let's hear your reasoning/opinion in this thread as well ;D

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Simon is the rep that deserved to come first. But I prefer Richter.

I will be using Richter.

But if it was JUST Richter I would have been disappointed.

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
As soon as I heard Richter I knew that I would play as him. Also the amount of people who don't know about Richter makes me feel really old.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Gonna go with Richter for sure.

As soon as I heard Richter I knew that I would play as him. Also the amount of people who don't know about Richter makes me feel really old.
Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. But honestly, I didn't really know how long he existed until I snagged DXC, which was around the time I really delved into Castlevania.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Not gonna answer yet because im probably alternating between boths, just like i do with male/female robin.

if SOTN Ritcher is a costume however....

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
If you’re not using Richter you’re doing it wrong. Also, it’d be weird to see Simon doing Richter’s moves.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Simon is by far the superior rep. He IS Castlevania to the point where people still sometimes refer to the main character of any Castlevania game as Simon regardless of who it's supposed to be.

He also has far more games, he hung out with Captain N, there's official Nintendo merchandise with him carrying around Dracula's severed head, and storywise, he not only killed Dracula, he put him back together and ressurected him so he could kill him again.

And he can skateboard. https://youtu.be/vgXabTBhiFs

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Richter's cool, but I'll probably play as good ol' Simon. Really happy they stuck with his original design and not his Judgement one.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Not even a contest for me, Richter. Best Belmont from the Best Classicvania game.

Simon's great, but Richter just has way more personality. Granted, that can be attributed to Richter's game (and by extension SOTN) having the hardware to tell more of a story, but still, Richter has always been my favorite Belmont.

Plus, his Holy Water flame is Blue. That's way more natural to me for some reason.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Richter is my favorite Belmont, and Rondo is my favorite of the Castlevania games. I will probably use him more often than not, but I could use Simon here and there too.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Richter for me, no contest. Was always my most Belmont from my occassional ventures to the series, and I'm more than happy to pick him in this game.

Besides - maan, did they manage to make him look damn hot this game. All while having him still rock his dorky Ryu-wannabe, shonen animu weebiness.

I definitely can't complain.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Definitely Richter for me, Simon's often overrated. Like don't get me wrong he's still cool, he appeared first. But people have a tendency to act as if he's the only Belmont worth a damn. It especially gets annoying when someone isn't even familiar with CV at all.

It also says something when he's using Richter's moves as a crutch for his own moveset. Which makes sense, but still. I don't hate Simon, I'll still use him often. It's more so how Simon's treated that bugs me more than Simon himself. So make no mistake that I'm very excited that both are in the game. And CV4 is still one of my favorites and Simon's still amazing. Even if it was just him.

Last edited by a moderator:

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
It also says something when he's using Richter's moves as a crutch for his own moveset.
Not really, it's obvious they did that so they could have both characters and make sense, I mean that's as silly as saying "It also says something when Richter is using Simon's moves as a crutch for his own moveset".

You can pull an entire moveset from Simon in Castlevania I, let alone Super Castlevania IV where he has like nine aerials built in and a bigger tool belt of items than the moveset even has room for.

They have Holy Water and the Axe and Crosserang, they don't even use the Dagger or the Watch (Witchtime 2.0 anyone?), and they don't have moonwalking

D

Deleted member

Not really, it's obvious they did that so they could have both characters and make sense, I mean that's as silly as saying "It also says something when Richter is using Simon's moves as a crutch for his own moveset".
Well you didn't read what I said after. It does make sense. Trevor did have the some of his moves in SotN afterall, which he didn't have in CV3. But still, as the current games stand, if you showed me the Belmont smash moveset. I'd definitely say that it fits Richard way better than it fits Simon. Because he was able to do those moves ingame. The blade dash, the uppercut, the slide jump. etc. Definitely moves that Richter's known for.

It's not that Richter has moves that Simon does, it's that he has moves that Simon does not have. Which makes sense, he is a later iteration both in canon and in terms of his games' release.

You can pull an entire moveset from Simon in Castlevania I, let alone Super Castlevania IV where he has like nine aerials built in and a bigger tool belt of items than the moveset even has room for.

They have Holy Water and the Axe and Crosserang, they don't even use the Dagger or the Watch (Witchtime 2.0 anyone?), and they don't have moonwalking
I mean, the moveset could have been whatever they could have imagined, not arguing there. But still, there's a reason why they gave him Richter's moves is what I'm saying. I'm saying he's like Simon, but with more to him.

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
While the moveset suits Richter more than Simon, I'll stick with Simon since I'm more attached to him than Richter. Plus Super Castlevania IV was my very first Castlevania game.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So Hard to decide between He-Man and Jonathan Joestar...

Notshane

Smash Ace
Richter for sure. He is the first Belmont I ever played as and is from my favorite Castlevania game.

Based on everything they've shown, Simon is an Echo of Richter, rather than vice versa. And it's simply due to the unfair reason of Richter having more moves available to him. Richter will always be the main character on the screen for me since it doesn't feel right for Simon to be over him, assuming they let you change them individually.

He also gave me my favorite song in the entire series:

Which, unfortunately, did not make it onto Dracula's Castle.

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
I'm partial to Simon since his design is super macho. Richter looks cool, but doesn't stand out as much as Simon next to Smash's many existing prettyboys.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
regarding simon being an echo of richter... Up Smash, Angled fair and bair, up air, and tether are all exclusive to simon.

So let's keep it at both are echoing both in order to make the best posible moveset avaiable?

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Simon's the one I have a personal connection with, growing up with him in Castlevania 2, Super CV 4 and Captain N, so he's my first pick. Though if Richter can do his "Die Monster" phrase as a taunt, he'll be seeing a good amount of use as well.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I was watching these Nintendo DIrect 8.8.18 reactions, and I was annoyed by how many people don't even know who Simon or Richter Belmont are. I knew which game Rathalos came from when he was first shown, and I've never even played Monster Hunter. Anyway, I'll probably use whichever character feels more comfortable to me, or whichever one is better.

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
I don't have any emotional attachment to either of the characters, as I've never played any Castlevania title, but I think I'll stick with Richter since I like his design more than Simon's.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
Probably gonna go with Richter. When I first played the games years ago I started with the metroidvanias, first encountering him in PoR (and eventually beating the game again in Richter mode). But if they play differently I'll pick whoever works better for me (or if Simon has the duck walk from SCIV). :awesome:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Richter for sure. His design's more vibrant, he's got more personality and I love Symphony of the Night. I haven't yet played Rondo of Blood, unfortunately, but I'm going to fix that soon. Looking forward to finally checking it out, I've heard good things about it.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Gonna say richter because of how hot he is. At first I was against richter but now all I can say is "daddy" lolol. He'll be my first male main, I also like his play style so yee

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Simon kind of fills a Barbarian archetype for me. Maybe it's just me playing too much D&D, but Simon Vs. Richter seems like asking which aesthetic you prefer, Barbarian or Fighter? Simon just seems so rugged, so determined, and he looks like a guy of a dreary bloodline who's obligated to do an unpleasant, difficult task. Richter seems kind of like a Shonen anime character to me with his smiles and peace signs, like Dracula is a Saturday morning cartoon villain and not a damnable presence from Hell. I'll probably play Richter for classic mode and All Star mode, but otherwise I'll mainly play Simon.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Probably Richter since he looks cooler and he can also shoot blue flames.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Simon kind of fills a Barbarian archetype for me. Maybe it's just me playing too much D&D, but Simon Vs. Richter seems like asking which aesthetic you prefer, Barbarian or Fighter? Simon just seems so rugged, so determined, and he looks like a guy of a dreary bloodline who's obligated to do an unpleasant, difficult task. Richter seems kind of like a Shonen anime character to me with his smiles and peace signs, like Dracula is a Saturday morning cartoon villain and not a damnable presence from Hell. I'll probably play Richter for classic mode and All Star mode, but otherwise I'll mainly play Simon.

YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT! O_O

Anyway, also nice observation on the knive uppercut, that's prob the best implementation of that Sub weapon, they could have gone for!

Regarding Stopwatch though......unless the (special presumably) move had worked more similair to something, along the lines of what I would have liked, the stasis rune for Botw link to be incorporated, so kinda like a time freeze, rather than the slow time watch item already present in Smash or GOD FORBID.................................................................................WI..WIT..W.WI..ITCH.TIIIIIIIIIMMME!@$*£₩%!

OR EVEN BETTER, WORKING LIKE ZA WARUDO!

WoW the Belmonts really are the video game equivalent of the Joestars ;D

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
More people prefer Richter over Simon? Begone, you don't belong in this world, monsters!

Just kidding. Richter looks good, but I guess I just love that classic, rugged barbarian design that Simon has.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
More people prefer Richter over Simon? Begone, you don't belong in this world, monsters!

Just kidding. Richter looks good, but I guess I just love that classic, rugged barbarian design that Simon has.
I guess that it's a classical case of the Mario/Luigi Sydrome, the guy who got the first and subsequent most apperances and significant roles total is gonna leave more of an impact/impression than the rest obv.

But than there's the ever expanding camp and ship, which is way more loyal partial to a character simply, due to his personality and flair as well as generally being way more developed to better distinguish himself from what came before.

So based on these attributes,strengths and traits, it's easy to guess who newcomers/newbies to the series are gonna gravitate more towards.

Though I have to say, based on how Simon was presented in his games, with the latest being Super castlevania(4) if I am not wrong, it's kinda amazing how iconic/striking his Smash debut ended up looking. Bc let's be honest, aside from the terrible/generic box/cartridge art, there's pretty much nothing to go off. Really the first thing that comes to my mind, in contrast to Richter, who was the first to receive legit cutscenes and voice lines and such which made portraying him the easiest choice, for poor old Simon is the bane, achilles heel of most Belmonts, their knockback and in his case the stupid "hiccup" sound, he made before falling down a Pit!!!

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
From what I'm understanding, more classic Castlevania fans gravitate towards Simon.
While the newer crowd are more interested in Richter. (Which I'm one of them heh)
But honestly I think there's no bad choice between the two, they're both awesome characters
and they both deserved their rightful spot in smash.

Top Bottom