• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Has anybody tried using Forward+B to prevent a gimp? lol.
Nope, can't say I have. Not a bad idea though, but you have to time that pretty well because it does have some lag.

Edit: lol

crifer

Smash Lord
I use side B often when recovering >.<
I mean it´s so great!!! I meteored a few times people with it,
like sheiks and mk´s (even though mk survived it :/,
but it looks flashy :)
mixing it up with fair and bair (sideB to turn around and the recovering with bair),
is so great!

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Yo, here's a question:

Can anyone give me the properties of the Headbutt as a spike?

- at what percentage does it become effective?
- is there a difference between ground and air headbutts (against an airbourne enemy, of course)?

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
air headbutt does more damage and therefore has more priority.

headbutt spike has little knockback and little hitstun, so its only good as a surprise, % doesn't matter. usually you should go for fairs because they kill no matter what if they hit

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
dead serious, praxis told me he was in jail atm, hope he gets out soon
Really, I thought you were kidding. D=

Yo, here's a question:

Can anyone give me the properties of the Headbutt as a spike?

- at what percentage does it become effective?
- is there a difference between ground and air headbutts (against an airbourne enemy, of course)?
DK Headbutt Spike isn't a really powerful spike, so percents aren't much of a factor here.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Bump (just incase we need this)

Question: Should we completely forget about DK's N-Air, or does it have some uses? I sometimes use it as a mix-up or if I keep getting hit and I can't turn around to use B-Air.

Edit: Oh Crap, didn't know i had the last post, sorry =/

Veggi

Smash Champion
Use nair whenever you don't want to use fair to hit someoene in front of you. You can also jump and nair to knock people off platforms as well as when you need a faster edgeguard.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
K, thanks Veggi, i usually only use N-Air to block when someone is attacking me in the way I can't use B-Air. Yeah, I guess it could be a good Edge guard too.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know what good things to do in a DK ditto? Or any ideas on the matchup?
Just try not clashing with tilts. Angled Ftilt would stop a Dtilt, reverse Utilts will stop bair approach. And GIMP

Cheapless Jared

Smash Apprentice
I have a two question mega ultra combo.

1:What is the meaning of this brawl waiting?
2:The luigi forward smash... Why does it go much faster doing it pointed up?

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
idk if this would go in our Secondary thread or in the Q&A thread so I'll ask it here lol.

Is Pikachu a good second for a DK main, or is there a better choice to use as a second? Please don't say Metaknight, I was thinking maybe Kirby or Pikachu, but I don't know. So, if anyone could help me out with that I'd appreciate it.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
idk if this would go in our Secondary thread or in the Q&A thread so I'll ask it here lol.

Is Pikachu a good second for a DK main, or is there a better choice to use as a second? Please don't say Metaknight, I was thinking maybe Kirby or Pikachu, but I don't know. So, if anyone could help me out with that I'd appreciate it.
Pikachu can take Falco IMO. They say the matchup is kinda in his favor, but crawling under lasers destroys his main approach, and Pikachu can approach fairly easy. Wario and Diddy are even matchups, and stage pick is key. Olimar goes even which I don't agree with at all. Dsmash wrecks him, and it's hard for him to camp Pikachu. The only thing that makes him look good as a secondary is he matchup against Snake and Luigi. Which my DK personally has no problem with. O yeah Phox gets destroyed. CG to 80% and Thunder equals GAME!

Kirby can go toe to toe with MK, which is nice since after you cp a MK on Brinstar you can go Kirby for a RC cp. Advantage over Diddy, Falco, D3, and Oli is also nice. But GW and IC are still left to give him the beatdown.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Pikachu can take Falco IMO. They say the matchup is kinda in his favor, but crawling under lasers destroys his main approach, and Pikachu can approach fairly easy. Wario and Diddy are even matchups, and stage pick is key. Olimar goes even which I don't agree with at all. Dsmash wrecks him, and it's hard for him to camp Pikachu. The only thing that makes him look good as a secondary is he matchup against Snake and Luigi. Which my DK personally has no problem with. O yeah Phox gets destroyed. CG to 80% and Thunder equals GAME!

Kirby can go toe to toe with MK, which is nice since after you cp a MK on Brinstar you can go Kirby for a RC cp. Advantage over Diddy, Falco, D3, and Oli is also nice. But GW and IC are still left to give him the beatdown.
Thanks for the info, it was greatly appreciated. I'll use DK against the Ice Climbers usually and I usually use Snake for Game and Watches anyway. So would you suggest just using Pikachu, or would you suggest learning Kirby too? Again, thanks for the info, it helped.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info, it was greatly appreciated. I'll use DK against the Ice Climbers usually and I usually use Snake for Game and Watches anyway. So would you suggest just using Pikachu, or would you suggest learning Kirby too? Again, thanks for the info, it helped.
O I didn't know you played Snake.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Hinoarashi gets ***** by DeDeDe.

DeDeDe > DK & Snake

But Pikachu & Kirby > DeDeDe

I can't even approach those little gay *******s.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu is a fine choice for a DK secondary. He may not be the absolutely ideal pick (who I still believe to be Falco), but he still handles our bad matchups fairly well.

crifer

Smash Lord
Pikachu is a fine choice for a DK secondary. He may not be the absolutely ideal pick (who I still believe to be Falco), but he still handles our bad matchups fairly well.
since falco has no bad match-up except maybe kirby, falco is a good choice,
marth handles a good amount of DK´s bad match-ups as well....

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Hinoarashi gets ***** by DeDeDe.

DeDeDe > DK & Snake

But Pikachu & Kirby > DeDeDe

I can't even approach those little gay *******s.
If wifi will ever let us play, just for that I'll only use Kirby and Pika on you lol.

BTW thanks everyone for your help.

Edit: I have another question lol. I'm having trouble with the GFSC. I'm having trouble landing the headbutt. It's the momentum after the jump where you go forward or backward and than headbutt that's messing me up. So if anyone could help me out with that I'd appreciate it, but it's probably just the lack of practice I've put into the GFSC.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
You forgot I have secondaries Hinoarashi... bad mistake... ZSS > Kirby & Pika :)

For GFSC... after you get the footstool start pressing back and forward really fast it feels like SDI but you'll hit your enemy with the Headbut.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
You forgot I have secondaries Hinoarashi... bad mistake... ZSS > Kirby & Pika :)

For GFSC... after you get the footstool start pressing back and forward really fast it feels like SDI but you'll hit your enemy with the Headbut.
When does the GFSC work. I find it very difficult to land, only after I break their shield. And even then the footstool becomes pointless. I never really liked footstool combos, except for Tink's auto spike, and Luigi's Nair footstool combo.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
You forgot Marth's auto-spike and DeDeDe auto-Dair.

GFSC takes a lot of technical skill just like Melee.

I can already perform this decently but my problems stands in getting the footstool.... Help?

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
You forgot Marth's auto-spike and DeDeDe auto-Dair.

GFSC takes a lot of technical skill just like Melee.

I can already perform this decently but my problems stands in getting the footstool.... Help?
Same.. Dedede's auto Dair is sexy, can go into another Dair of Fair

Marth's auto isn't as nice IMO and its also very hard to do. Is the GFSC really necessary for DK's metagame.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Its not necessary but it does help a lot in getting kills because the opponent can't stop the Headbut.

But its way hard doing this when your opponent its at a high percentage because you can't rely on the Dtilt trip so it'll be hard setting this up.

GFSC is best used for racking up damage.

Dtilt trip to GFSC Headbut into Spinning Kong does 46%ish and its even better with Down B.

And it can setup for combo's decently

So in summary GFSC = Free Headbut = Free damage.

It also adds more options to DK.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Its not necessary but it does help a lot in getting kills because the opponent can't stop the Headbut.

But its way hard doing this when your opponent its at a high percentage because you can't rely on the Dtilt trip so it'll be hard setting this up.

GFSC is best used for racking up damage.

Dtilt trip to GFSC Headbut into Spinning Kong does 46%ish and its even better with Down B.

And it can setup for combo's decently

So in summary GFSC = Free Headbut = Free damage.

It also adds more options to DK.
I'm actually going to practice this. Another move to add to my pool.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
I have another question regarding DK's matchups.

I understand that DK is just generally useful to learn because he has favourable matchups with both MK and Snake, the two characters highest on the tier list, but I have no idea why.

Could you briefly explain to me what he has over these characters, especially if it's something highly abusable? :)

crifer

Smash Lord
Matchup related things should be asked in the matchup thread

MK: DK has range, power, priority against him, only tornado of MK is a problem
Snake: downB ***** his camping game (abuse it!), grounded upb is also good, cargo dthrow to spike

Top Bottom