• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SINGLES Lucario Match-Ups and Directory! Mario will brb saving a princess

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
What country are you living in which has 'a **** ton of lucarios'
that would be MW. at C4 Galore MWC even there were 4 lucarios in my pool of 7....i only lost to Fizzleboy, but i suicided on my CP on frigate cause i couldnt hear the level changing and dair'ed. other than that, i 2-0'd the rest of them.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
*sits back and waits for RK joker to say DT is good against pikmin throw*

Stop picking on the poor guy :laugh: he left the Lucario boards already.
Wait, he did?
I think he finally got it tho.
I still get the occasional temptation to sig his "That's why I'll be better than all of you" phrase, but I'm too nice.
Oli is a bunch of who-ey. Unfortunately, Lucario has to play with all the ticks in the bag, and even then, will get some nasty retribution here and there. pivot grab is just nasty, WAC is wacko (although I think it can be punished if predicted), and usmash is pretty beefy with purple pikmin in particular. Now I don't know who said this, but didn't someone in the Olimar boards who was an Oli say that he got hit by tipped fsmash when trying to grab/pivot grab with a blue pikmin? That sounds nice, but doesn't sound right. I think should get smarter to the matchup (especially the stage pick) so that it should go a little more smoothly, although AS is so nullified to me.
I'm still struggling between 60:40 and 55:45 disadvantage, it has too much to do with stage/gimp option, especially since some of Oli's more better stages vs. us (Corneria, Luigi's) are pretty much banned in most places (including mine). That, and Frigate seems so mean as a CP.
Oli will really need to use shield in this matchup, but lucario will hopefully be able to pull some crossover stuff if the Oli isn't doing things right (but still answerable nonetheless).

jog

Smash Journeyman
what about characters attack strength? any opinions on that? i know we get our aura and such but initially who do you guy thinks got more power on the ground? ive sent some olimars flying before, also one thing thats happened while ive been playing is id be fighting and olimar and they grabbed the ledge and chilled there well i thre aura sphere to force them into the air well it him him while he was holding the ledge. olimars head to big or did i luck out? i thought it was his fat head that caused it XD
Who hasn't sent anyone flying before on the ground? Oli is stronger on the ground period, save for a high aura f-smash, but then again who really is as strong as Lucario at high aura. The point is Lucario usually won't live long to abuse his aura, and with the whole "hitting the Oli on the ledge" it just sounds like he lost his invincibility frames and you had a good sized AS that dragged the ground as it went by.

@ phi1ny3

Most people think "oh lets take Oli to Frigate since he can't grab the right side of the first stage" (which is true) but after thinking it over Olimar really relies on up-smash kills, and with the increased purple and yellow pluck rate of Frigate I would suggest Japes. The water kills all his pikmin except for the lucky blue ones and up-smash kills won't be an option until Lucario has plenty of aura.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well at any moderate percent Lucario's FCAS will hit the ledge enough that if you were careless and lost your invincibility frames you will get hit, and if you do make that mistake it is quite devastating for Olimar, f-smash also reaches there and would work too, but that one is easier to predict.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
If Olimar doesn't ban Japes you should definitely go there.

If he does Frigate is still a legit choice.
japes is not THAT bad of a level for olimar, theres really only one down side to it, and ofc, its the water, but any respective olimar should be able to controle the middle of that stage and be campy if need be. i have not lost a match there against a lucario yet.

i do see the logic in it tho, huge ceiling and far sides (from the middle) but i wouldnt be too worried about that because of the ability to just spam pikmin from a safe spot. the damage doesnt seem to be too much of a problem when i know that lucario is one hit away from death. sure that allows him to have his super power, but like i said, i have not lost a match on japes to a lucario.

EDIT: i might need to take that back and Fizzle if youre reading this correct me if im wrong, i might have lost to you on it. but i dont think i did, im pretty sure....but correct me if im wrong, in which case my statement will go to, "ive only lost to one incredibly lucky lucario on japes" :D

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
I suppose you have a better CP in mind, then?
lets just say if the olimar doesnt ban rainbow cruise......

and quite frankly, its a good choice, i never said it was wrong, i never implied i was right, i was stating my previous experience so you, as a lucario community, can come up with something that might better the match up

also, as stated, frigate is a nice choice, but i hope you like yellows and purples.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
I know Rainbow Cruise screws Olimar, but it's pretty bad for Lucario too. And not at all a safe counterpick considering all the potential characters your opponent could switch to to gay you there.

Japes and Frigate on the other hand are both well-established good Lucario stages.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
I know Rainbow Cruise screws Olimar, but it's pretty bad for Lucario too. And not at all a safe counterpick considering all the potential characters your opponent could switch to to gay you there.

Japes and Frigate on the other hand are both well-established good Lucario stages.
indeed they are, but both of them arent terrible olimar stages. now maybe against lucario, they might be worse than others, but the 60-40 match up is that way because olimars have learned to control the middle ground. and both of those stages provide that opportunity for him, just with one feature on both that happens to make it a "slightly bad stage" for olimar.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
Olimar is going to be controlling the stage anywhere. I really don't see why you're arguing against me here.
because, i dont think frigate is the best of your choices against an olimar and tbh, japes isnt that great either.

and im in noo means trying to arque, im trying to contribute information ive gathered by playing a lot of lucarios that vary in skill and play styles

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Okay.... outside of Rainbow Cruise, which I've already said is a bad Lucario stage and a massively unsafe counterpick, tell me what IS the "best of choices."

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
Okay.... outside of Rainbow Cruise, which I've already said is a bad Lucario stage and a massively unsafe counterpick, tell me what IS the "best of choices."
if i really had to say one level i would almost go for Castle Siege. but i know that level, especially during its second phase, can cause problems for lucario.

id like to think that PKS 1 wouldnt be a bad choice either. but i am not the lucario main here.

i can see why japes and frigate are "solid" choices, but, once again, from the information ive gathered, those levels are just as hazardous for lucario as they are for olimar in the some ways the same and some ways that are different.

tbh, i ban off RC, its just not a safe level in general, and i smile everytime i get told that their CP was frigate cause purples and yellows are just the right tools.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I liek Japes.
Could pokestadum2 be good? I'm juggling it around, and while it is banned here and there, I'd think that the whole "electric" stage would be constantly threatening olimar towards the edge, the ceiling seems high, the wind part is not so great for Oli, but I don't like the Ice.

jog

Smash Journeyman
CP stages aren't really a matter of "Olimar is bad here" but more of "Lucario is good here." Just because Japes and Frigate aren't as bad as RC for Olimar doesn't mean you shouldn't take him there. Lucario is good there and Olimar has trouble, that's enough reason to go to either Japes or Frigate, now for the reasons Oli does some good things on these stages doesn't out shine the bad things that can happen. Getting gimped. Its the bain of any Olimar mainer (I main him and Luc btw) and Japes and Frigate increase these possibilities. Every Lucario player just need to keep in mind what Olimar can do on Japes and Frigate but both are still very viable CP stages for Lucario against Oli.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I just got done playing xxPatgxx for a good long while and I'd say that this match-up is 55-45 in Olimar's favor.

Just to knock this whole stage discussion in the right direction, I'm going to agree with the person before me who said that counterpicking is more about emphasising your strengths in the match-up while closing off opportunity to strike your weakness, not where Olimar is worst at.

With that being said, I'm going to say that Lucario would probably do best on Orpheon Frigate. The reason why I say this is because the key to Lucario winning is actually being aggressive on Olimar. On the first part of frigate, you have that platform to camp under. Even though it's not the greatest, it does off your some cover from Olimar's Side B and a possible landing zone for recovery should Olimar choose to instant ledgehog you with his tether (he does NOT have to be offstage to do this and it is completely lagless). The other side of Frigate allows you to continually push Olimar offstage because it has no ledge for him to grab on to. The fact that it rises and falls is only going to make things worse for an Olimar trying to recover.

The second part of Frigates offers both of you platforms when trying to recover but neither of you should really be getting too much use out of them because of your knockback angles. The downward slope makes it harder for Olimar to land smash attacks and since Olimar will most likely camp from the center, you shouldn't have too much trouble exploiting that with your smash attacks or massive Aura Spheres.

As far as the match-up goes, Lucario cannot try to outcamp Olimar because it will never work. Olimar's Side B not only consumes your attack but it comes out a lot quicker and can be used in a manner that allows Olimar to hop over your Aura Spheres while still hitting Lucario. What you'll want to do is get a fully charged Aura Sphere to pressure Olimar so that you have an easier time getting him to change his position.

From approaching, I would reccomend Lucario using his Forward Air shorthopped because he should be able to retreat or launch an Aura Sphere if Olimar is trying to Pivot Grab or Forward Smash him in return. Be aware that if you get near Olimar, your roll is incredibly fast and can allow you to escape his attack before grabbing him and tossing him off the stage. Try not to get predictable with this approach. Remember that Lucario also has a good N-Air to knock off incoming pikmin as well as push any of Olimar's aerials out of the way.

For Olimar it's easiest for him to rack up damaging by using his Side B. Any other damage usually comes from punishing or early grabs in the grab. It is very difficult for Olimar to approach Lucario and even more difficult for him to punish one that stays in the air, but when he does its going to hurt. The main reason this match-up is in Olimar's favor is because of how quickly he can rack up damage and kill Lucario without putting himself at too much risk using long-ranged and powerful Smash Attacks. Its also very difficult for Lucario to KO Olimar.

I helped. :p

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
I just got done playing xxPatgxx for a good long while and I'd say that this match-up is 55-45 in Olimar's favor.

Just to knock this whole stage discussion in the right direction, I'm going to agree with the person before me who said that counterpicking is more about emphasising your strengths in the match-up while closing off opportunity to strike your weakness, not where Olimar is worst at.

With that being said, I'm going to say that Lucario would probably do best on Orpheon Frigate. The reason why I say this is because the key to Lucario winning is actually being aggressive on Olimar. On the first part of frigate, you have that platform to camp under. Even though it's not the greatest, it does off your some cover from Olimar's Side B and a possible landing zone for recovery should Olimar choose to instant ledgehog you with his tether (he does NOT have to be offstage to do this and it is completely lagless). The other side of Frigate allows you to continually push Olimar offstage because it has no ledge for him to grab on to. The fact that it rises and falls is only going to make things worse for an Olimar trying to recover.

The second part of Frigates offers both of you platforms when trying to recover but neither of you should really be getting too much use out of them because of your knockback angles. The downward slope makes it harder for Olimar to land smash attacks and since Olimar will most likely camp from the center, you shouldn't have too much trouble exploiting that with your smash attacks or massive Aura Spheres.

As far as the match-up goes, Lucario cannot try to outcamp Olimar because it will never work. Olimar's Side B not only consumes your attack but it comes out a lot quicker and can be used in a manner that allows Olimar to hop over your Aura Spheres while still hitting Lucario. What you'll want to do is get a fully charged Aura Sphere to pressure Olimar so that you have an easier time getting him to change his position.

From approaching, I would reccomend Lucario using his Forward Air shorthopped because he should be able to retreat or launch an Aura Sphere if Olimar is trying to Pivot Grab or Forward Smash him in return. Be aware that if you get near Olimar, your roll is incredibly fast and can allow you to escape his attack before grabbing him and tossing him off the stage. Try not to get predictable with this approach. Remember that Lucario also has a good N-Air to knock off incoming pikmin as well as push any of Olimar's aerials out of the way.

For Olimar it's easiest for him to rack up damaging by using his Side B. Any other damage usually comes from punishing or early grabs in the grab. It is very difficult for Olimar to approach Lucario and even more difficult for him to punish one that stays in the air, but when he does its going to hurt. The main reason this match-up is in Olimar's favor is because of how quickly he can rack up damage and kill Lucario without putting himself at too much risk using long-ranged and powerful Smash Attacks. Its also very difficult for Lucario to KO Olimar.

I helped. :p
i agree with most of what you said, but i would not want to be above olimar on a platform, especially on frigate bc many options are at hand the for olimar, the first and foremost being his U-air, powerfull, good damge, and decent knock back. Second, his U-tilt beats D-air....so obvious reason is obvious. Third, his UP-B is quite powerfull and you can expect it to come from most U-airs that knock you out of another U-air range and on frigate it is almost always gonna be a yellow or purple on the end, so heaven forbid youre at 110+ and get hit by it.

granted, almost everything said there is situational, but youd be suprised at how "situational" things become very fast against lucario when you own the ground game.

also, very well put on the CP stages, it makes much more sense to CP where YOU are good at and can maneuver better than your opponent. it could be that bc i have had sooo much experience with those two levels that i find that they arent good levels to CP "ME" at. However, i do know japes is tough because of UP-B trixies sometimes get screwed by nearby ledges

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Oli's usmash and uair are good reasons to have an aversion to platforms.

Despite what you guys keep saying however I really don't think it's in your best interest to be challenging Lucci's dair with utilt... >>

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
Oli's usmash and uair are good reasons to have an aversion to platforms.

Despite what you guys keep saying however I really don't think it's in your best interest to be challenging Lucci's dair with utilt... >>
its not, cause if its off by any means in timing its gonna get punished, i try to avoid it, but sometimes you just cant.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Above Olimar is the worst place Lucario can be regardless of Down Air. Olimar's Up Aerial will destroy Lucario's D-Air but you shouldn't get the chance to do that very often.

As for the Frigate counter pick. Lucario isn't supposed to stand on the platform, he's supposed to fight from the sides and try to get Olimar on the platform where he'll be vulnerable to aerial abuse.

Timbers

check me out
usmash is offset by dair....so its actually not a bad place to be, but deff not the best
you keep speaking on theory lol.

Two moves with startup lag so quick that it's impossible to humanly react to, you're going to be trading hits.

and Oli's "hit" is going to be killing 60% earlier than Lucario's.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
don't forget u-tilt either since it goes through lucario's dair. also u-air and u-smash clank with luc's dair.

but i mean oli's u-smash comes out in 8 frames? it could be 11, i can't remember but its at least 11 and 8 max, either way its really fast and kills early esp. with a purple (even when stale its scary). in other words, don't jump into olimar, people do it to me and i just smile every time because an u-smash is on its way.

btw timbers could i get that sticky on my thread now please :) this is jog, (just wanted a new name)

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Why are we bothering to discuss this? Copy, paste, and edit from the Olimars. We've already agreed that it's 60:40 Olimar's favor.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
don't forget u-tilt either since it goes through lucario's dair. also u-air and u-smash clank with luc's dair.

but i mean oli's u-smash comes out in 8 frames? it could be 11, i can't remember but its at least 11 and 8 max, either way its really fast and kills early esp. with a purple (even when stale its scary). in other words, don't jump into olimar, people do it to me and i just smile every time because an u-smash is on its way.

btw timbers could i get that sticky on my thread now please :) this is jog, (just wanted a new name)
lol aerials don't clank.

Timbers

check me out
lol aerials don't clank.
play an olimar, his aerials do.

I'd be lying if I said I knew the specifics of his aerials though, outside of them being able to "clank" (very implied, as the aerial finishes completely but you still get the clank animation, much like Pit or MK's glide attacks)

Excellence

Smash Champion
play an olimar, his aerials do.

I'd be lying if I said I knew the specifics of his aerials though, outside of them being able to "clank" (very implied, as the aerial finishes completely but you still get the clank animation, much like Pit or MK's glide attacks)
Olimar's Aerial's don't really "clank". What happens is when Olimar's aerial hitboxes hits another aerial's hitbox that does not also touch his [Olimar's] hurtbox, you get the clank animation (that bubble looking thing) but his hitbox stays active until they attack would normally finish (disregarding the slight delay that comes from the two hits hitting each other). If anyone wants to replicate it, it's easiest to do with Shiek's falling N-Air and Olimar's F-Air.

Seriously, get over D-Air versus Olimar's Up Smash, Up Aerial, and Up Tilt because you shouldn't be getting punished when you use it correctly. Olimar's Up Smash will not trade hits IF Lucario's D-Air hits his Pikmin before the attack can reach Lucario, Olimar's Up Aerial will always beat Lucario's D-Air when used correctly, Olimar's Up Tilt will only go through Lucario's D-Air between kicks, before it starts, or immediately after it finishes.

Next topic! How does Lucario deal with vertical KO moves? Does D-Air work for that or is it like not really effective?

Player-4

See you in 25 years
either way oli's u-air and luc's dair don't trade hits and cancel each other out so a "clank" none the less.

as far as lucario's vertical survivability, it's the bane of lucario mains. where is he on the list of characters that die over the top? i know he's pretty lite over the top.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol... lucario just has below average vertical survivability (16th I think) But hes still above middle-weight, he shouldnt be getting KO'd off the top any earlier than a middle weight character would

Rayku

Smash Lord
lol aerials don't clank.
Metaknight's glide attack clanks with the first hit of Dair, and he gets hit by the second hit.

I think that's what he's referring to, and that's a specific example I -know- for a fact, is true.

Timbers

check me out
Olimar's Aerial's don't really "clank". What happens is when Olimar's aerial hitboxes hits another aerial's hitbox that does not also touch his [Olimar's] hurtbox, you get the clank animation (that bubble looking thing) but his hitbox stays active until they attack would normally finish (disregarding the slight delay that comes from the two hits hitting each other). If anyone wants to replicate it, it's easiest to do with Shiek's falling N-Air and Olimar's F-Air.

Seriously, get over D-Air versus Olimar's Up Smash, Up Aerial, and Up Tilt because you shouldn't be getting punished when you use it correctly. Olimar's Up Smash will not trade hits IF Lucario's D-Air hits his Pikmin before the attack can reach Lucario, Olimar's Up Aerial will always beat Lucario's D-Air when used correctly, Olimar's Up Tilt will only go through Lucario's D-Air between kicks, before it starts, or immediately after it finishes.

Next topic! How does Lucario deal with vertical KO moves? Does D-Air work for that or is it like not really effective?
whatever you want to call it, it has hitlag, and it's worth noting. Also Oli's active frames go dead for some amount of time, As I've faired through his own fair and hit him, without taking damage. Luc's fair has silly range on it too.

When I said trade I meant you guys will be switching off hitting each other. Unless you're in a position where you can dair and Olimar is in no position to usmash, you shouldn't be going for it (i.e. landing on top of him)

Top Bottom