• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Situational Tricks Thread

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Here's a really nice trick that can **** unsuspecting Snakes. If you grab them on the edge you pummel them until they get released and fall down. Now most Snakes will try to jump back to the ledge where you can dtilt them removing their 2nd jump. they then have to try to come up from below the stage on the cypher where you can easily run off and dair them. It only works once but can get you a very low percent kill.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Here's a really nice trick that can **** unsuspecting Snakes. If you grab them on the edge you pummel them until they get released and fall down. Now most Snakes will try to jump back to the ledge where you can dtilt them removing their 2nd jump. they then have to try to come up from below the stage on the cypher where you can easily run off and dair them. It only works once but can get you a very low percent kill.
snakes caught on to that and just immediately cypher up and away o.o but still it forces them to recover far away and chance of c4'n themselves.

hmm a situational trick?

when opponent is near the edge of a platform (which is often) force them to shield and just keep spamming any fast attack and they will go down the platform with a tumbling animation (make sure not to hit them in this animation) and do whatever u like to them once they hit the ground (they can tech the ground btw to get back up) i mostly fair them but once in a while (rarely) i can land a banana lock if the bananas are nearby and or in my hand.

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
A trick against characters with tether recoveries is to wait for them to get fairly close to the edge, then run off and charge your barrels. When they use the tether to try to get up you'll have an easy rocket barrel spike. This seems to work best against Toon Link, Link, and Samus. Ivysuar and Shiek are pretty difficult to pull this off on and it just doesn't work against Olimar because of his pikmin. I haven't tried this on ZSS yet but it'd probably work.
I do this, but sometimes with the variation of predicting their recovery and just edgehogging, I do this alot against links, works alot of the time when they dont expect it.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
lol double post.

Updates finished. Keep posting with more situational tricks, they're all nice lol. And they help Diddy's as a whole become a lot more unpredictable.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I have a trick I was talking to ADHD about a month or so ago:

You can do aerials with a banana in your hand, without doing stuff like Z dropping them and using an aerial to recatch them.

First obviously, you need a banana in your hand. Next, you need to be in the air.

Basically, you use Down B (Smash or Tilt, doesn't matter) in the air. It DOES NOT MATTER if a banana comes out or not (meaning even if you have two banana's out already, this trick will work). Now, before the animation ends, start buffering whatever aerial you want. What will happen is that Diddy will do his Down B animation, and then right after do an aerial. What's neat about this is that you can KEEP ON DOING MORE AERIALS by buffering consecutive aerials.

So say you do this, and buffer a Fair. If you are still in the air, you can buffer another Fair, an Uair, Dair, etc. So say you use Fair, and your opponent airdodges. No biggie, you can then try to Bair him/her as they move through you. You can also be silly and Dair over and over or Uair over and over for ****s and giggles.

Now, this may seem a bit useless/novel at first, BUT I haven't even gotten into the mindgames you can pull with this. Let's say you do this and first aerial you use an Uair. They airdodge/you miss, and you want to punish them or put pressure on them with a banana. Well, no need to worry. All you have to do to toss the banana instead of do the aerial is not buffer an aerial. If you wait a brief bit after the aerial/down b is over, and then input a command, Diddy will toss the banana instead of doing an aerial. So you can mix it up between a fast Banana toss or a fast aerial without giving your opponent time to guess before hand which one will happen.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
I like the banana inhand aerial installing!

Thanks for finally explaining that DMG, I always end up doing aerials instead of throwing the naner after the down b.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I like the banana inhand aerial installing!

Thanks for finally explaining that DMG, I always end up doing aerials instead of throwing the naner after the down b.
Yeah I noticed it earlier before, but I never thought of testing it until like, 1-2 months ago. I mentioned it to ADHD then but forgot to post anything about it here.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Yeah I would always be like "oh that thing again"
but yeah, didn't think of all this buffering.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I think you can do two aerials after you z catch a banana too?

DMG GET OFF THESE BOARDS! Diddy can't air plank anyone.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'm on these boards because I play as Diddy, because I like to fight Diddy :), and because I need to get better at Diddy dittos LOL. ADHD wrecked me at those, BUT I did get a nice edgeguard/gimp on him. He still JV2 stocked me, including his SD's lol.

I got him back with Wario though. 16 minute timer isn't enough ADHD... just isn't enough. :)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
And I can just pick Wario and run out the timer.

My method takes longer, but I'm proud to say it's gayer. :)

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Oh, wait, so if I pick up a banana with like say instant shbair, can I bair again via aerial installing?

BTW I like calling it aerial installing because that name is ridiculously amazing and Guilty Gear like

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well, if you catch a banana with a Bair, for some reson, youre already able to do a second aerial. Its different from what DMG posted though because you CAN NOT throw the banana. You either land first or aerial.

I dont know why it happens. It just does :ohwell:

DUB

Smash Lord
We all know it just didn't see it on the list:

If King Dedede is using his Up+B to return to the stage and you hold your Rocket Barrels out underneath him when he lands with the attack portion of his Up+B, he will take the blast from the Rocket Barrels and you will only take minimal percent and the regular knock back of Barrel Canceling.

I'm sure AZ could give you some stage tricks. He's a rocket barrel fiend on PS 1.

Player-1

Smash Legend
We all know it just didn't see it on the list:

If King Dedede is using his Up+B to return to the stage and you hold your Rocket Barrels out underneath him when he lands with the attack portion of his Up+B, he will take the blast from the Rocket Barrels and you will only take minimal percent and the regular knock back of Barrel Canceling.

I'm sure AZ could give you some stage tricks. He's a rocket barrel fiend on PS 1.
This happens rarely. I've tried it a few times and never once have gotten it to work. AZ is the one who I first found out the idea from, then after watching a video, he himself went back on what he said

DUB

Smash Lord
This happens rarely. I've tried it a few times and never once have gotten it to work. AZ is the one who I first found out the idea from, then after watching a video, he himself went back on what he said
This is not 100% guranteed? Because the only time it hasnt worked is when I haven't been directly under DDD. Has worked every single other time.

Player-1

Smash Legend
This is not 100% guranteed? Because the only time it hasnt worked is when I haven't been directly under DDD. Has worked every single other time.
yeah, it's not guaranteed. I've never gotten it to work the few times I've gotten it. IMO, it's better to just position a Fsmash afterward because an Fsmash out ranges the stars after he lands

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
instead of using the dash attack to the ledge, then using a banana to fall and re-catch, you can use a glidetoss to do it if you're opponent is off the ledge, so you have a reliable edgeguard. You can either run to the ledge, glide toss down, and then fall off the stage with a banana (to prevent your opponent from getting on the stage easily), or you could throw it directly at them. Either way, you don't always have to dash attack or run depending on the situation.

^ that probably made little to no sense, hahaha.

TreK

Is "that guy"
instead of using the dash attack to the ledge, then using a banana to fall and re-catch, you can use a glidetoss to do it if you're opponent is off the ledge, so you have a reliable edgeguard. You can either run to the ledge, glide toss down, and then fall off the stage with a banana (to prevent your opponent from getting on the stage easily), or you could throw it directly at them. Either way, you don't always have to dash attack or run depending on the situation.

^ that probably made little to no sense, hahaha.
yup, you can even crawl to do the falling banana thingy.

Staco

Smash Champion
Pseudo-Frametrap 1: At low to mid percents, if you connect with a Diddy Hump (monkey flip grab) and do the attacking grab release, you’ll often be able to follow up with a FF Fair. The opponent often thinks you’re vulnerable after that grab release, and because of the low distance they traveled, they often try to attack you in your “lag”, and the FF Fair punishes their aggression. An aerial with less lag on landing (N-air, B-air maybe) would be safer. Don't do this too often; with any frametrap, your opponent can catch on.
Never thought about this:

What about turning around with B-Reversal/Reversal Peanut Gun Cancel after Diddy Hump Attack.
Then using bair for attack, which gives a saver land than fair.

What do you think?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Never thought about this:

What about turning around with B-Reversal/Reversal Peanut Gun Cancel after Diddy Hump Attack.
Then using bair for attack, which gives a saver land than fair.

What do you think?
I think that'd be cool, if it's what I'm thinking about below:

You mean you do the grab then press A? or fair after a REAL grab release?
Grab and A. Like this chain, if I'm interpreting you correctly Staco:
Diddy Hump > Slap > Wavebounce Popgun Cancel > FF B-Air

If that works, it'd look absolutely crazy in practice. It might be able to chase those who don't immediately attack after you slap them if it works!

EDIT: Wait. Doesn't the slap remove your ability to use B moves? :|

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
You can only do that if you jump instead of slap, you can't get high enough to probably even wave bounce to anything.

Top Bottom