• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Skullgirls Misleading reddit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Cloud

Smash Apprentice
Skull girls is having their stream with voice actors and is approaching our numbers fast. They posted on Reddit very vaguely about it as well.

As we all know Reddit can be very powerful. Lets at least fill this thread with comments about melee and upvote anything of significance. They do not even bother to mention they are doing it for Skullgirls. I put in a comment to at least mention our stream and that both sides were donating and to check both streams out. The stream i referring to is http://www.twitch.tv/trihex . Since this is full of SG players though, I got down-voted to hell.

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueofleg...ue_of_legends_voice_actors_are_raising_money/

Sorry if this is a bit nit picky, but if we can at least try and let these people know there are at least two options, maybe we can sway some our way.

EDIT: I made a post of my own. This is the best I could do. http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/17he4h/trihex_is_speedrunning_yoshis_island_to_raise/

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
lol wow, most of the SG voice actors also do voice for LoL

letting them know what the drive is really about and telling them all the options available is good though.

Lovage

Smash Hero
its too late now, better pull out all the stops or lose your evo spot
big whoop. that's not how that website works lol.

btw: i assume u and that other toolshed were the ones who brought almost all of the comments to -1. absolute chodehood. i brought them back to 0 hopefully someone could go by and bring them back to +1

smashmachine

Smash Lord
big whoop. that's not how that website works lol.

btw: i assume u and that other toolshed were the ones who brought almost all of the comments to -1. absolute chodehood. i brought them back to 0 hopefully someone could go by and bring them back to +1
i don't have an account -_-

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
come on guys let's not go around calling people underhanded. i thought it was a well-executed reddit promotion, although leaving out the information about Evo was a mistake since it got them caught in some complications.

oh well.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Please do not downvote their posts or spam their threads. That's really not cool, and works against the spirit of the drive.

wqqqqwrt

Smash Cadet
They have been doing this for a while, and they are gonna continue to do this and more in the next 3 days

BrandX

Smash Ace
I just wanted to say that, the spam is not appreciated guys. Please don't be spamming :( It's not cool...

This is supposed to be a friendly competition.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Not anymore. The skullgirls community has made it abundantly clear they have no intention of being "friends" with us. There's no honor in this.

:phone:

BrandX

Smash Ace
Not anymore. The skullgirls community has made it abundantly clear they have no intention of being "friends" with us. There's no honor in this.

Where in the hell did you get this idea!? That's an outrageous claim!

EDIT: We have been saying that we should not insult smash and have been saying that no matter who wins, this goes to a great cause. You guys are purposely attacking us with spam and downvoting our post. Please, make a respectful image for your community.

CrownAxe

Smash Cadet

Well when the community purposefully goes to the Skullgirls reddit thread and spam down votes it gives them a reason not to.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord

Yet you don't see them spamming your threads and trying to block out everything smash does to promote itself. Throughout the entire stream fanatiq has shown nothing but props to smash and how everyone there should just stay positive about the whole thing. This smash community is showing such a huge lack of respect right now.

Go ahead though, keep promoting that hatred of yours. It gives a really good false impression of this community.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord

Vocal individuals =/= the community

Telling the League of Legends community what the drive is about is fair game though, randomly downvoting everything is a bit iffy.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Are you telling me that the downvotes on smash's page aren't coming for The SG community? Whatevs. Not to mention the skullgirls page is objectively worse than the melee one because we were honest and explained the entire situation.

Btw I didn't do the down voting.

So hold dat.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Vocal individuals =/= the community
this x 100000000

just because a few schmucks downvote our links/attack us doesn't mean we do it back to them
same thing applies vice versa obviously ~_~ but trying to cover our ***es after a bunch of trolls is like...ugh

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I'm not sure exactly what happened in the streams but I think everyone just needs to calm down lol. Hi-fives for everyone once this damn contest ends.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
To recap:

1. Trihex independently starts his Yoshi Speedrun stream with a separate donation pool.

2. Fanatiq brings in Skullgirls voice actors and later others to help pull in money.

3. Fanatiq has the idea of reaching outside the fighting game community for donations using social media (reddit, appealing to popular game devs on twitter). Justifies it by the desire to gain more breast cancer donations.

4. Smash fans take issue with the lack of transparency with their outreach by not including details about the EVO 8th slot competition.

5. Trolling in reddit threads on both sides by the vocal minority.

6. Skullgirls passes Melee, then Trihex drops the $2,728.45 Spirit Bomb.

7. Fanatiq makes an offhanded remark about the smash community assuming this was planned, then apologizes profusely retracting his statement.

8. Fanatiq criticizes those in the Smash community who trolled or disapproved of his misleading reddit thread. Intends to continue trying to connect with League of Legions community among other sources for donations outside of the fighting scene.

9. Smashboards rolls up its sleaves and prepares to run a counter social media blitz.

So essentially this has transformed from a community fundraiser into a battle over who can go viral. At least for the time being.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
A fund raiser was a bad way to pick the 8th game. Honestly it's really the only way skullgirls could have had a chance which is a good thing, I guess.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I'm a huge fan of smash but I'm not going to upvote any of the melee threads now. I think it's pretty hypocritical to put up at least two of our own threads doing the same exact thing you're accusing skullgirls of (and having done it first), then accusing them of not showing the bigger picture when we haven't done it either.

You can't proclaim you have a moral high ground when you don't have one.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
They did the same thing to us. Neither side has the high ground. This is just less $$$ for breast cancer but with all that we have already put in, Im more or less okay with cheating SG out of a few bucks if it helps melee get to evo.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
They did the same thing to us. Neither side has the high ground. This is just less $$$ for breast cancer but with all that we have already put in, Im more or less okay with cheating SG out of a few bucks if it helps melee get to evo.

The difference being that we made our reddit support threads first and they never made any similar complaints about it. I just feel a little discouraged when I see behavior like this since regardless of whether we get into EVO or not, it's only going to drive away potential new faces.

I was also watching both streams last night, and I have to admit that compared to our stream, Fanatiq's had a much larger number of trollers. Seriously guys? It's not like they're going to stunt our momentum, so keep it classy. We can't earn respect by doing **** like trolling and the like. There are lots of skullgirl players who are also into the smash series, and I don't think disenfranchising them will do us any favors either.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
I was also watching both streams last night, and I have to admit that compared to our stream, Fanatiq's had a much larger number of trollers. Seriously guys? It's not like they're going to stunt our momentum, so keep it classy. We can't earn respect by doing **** like trolling and the like. There are lots of skullgirl players who are also into the smash series, and I don't think disenfranchising them will do us any favors either.
You know, we DO have a lot more Smash players than they have Skullgirls players. By that logic we also have more trolls than they do. Both communities probably have the same ratio of upstanding members:trolls. That being said, the Smash community is so big that our trolls probably outnumber their entire community. :awesome:

Vkrm

Smash Lord
If you go by what was said on the boards, fanatiq and the guests were being mad ignorant about competitive and our boy leffen went after them for it. I don't really know though, I didn't watch the stream. Still was not exactly good sportsmanship on our part.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
You know, we DO have a lot more Smash players than they have Skullgirls players. By that logic we also have more trolls than they do. Both communities probably have the same ratio of upstanding members:trolls. That being said, the Smash community is so big that our trolls probably outnumber their entire community. :awesome:
Yeah, I completely agree. I just think that it would be nicer for our own community as a whole if our trolls could keep themselves in check. Sure it's fun to rail on someone you're beating and taste some salt, but I really, really don't think it will pay off in the long run. I actually feel like the most damage from this whole event won't come from the FGC or the SG community (in particular I actually love the SG community even though they're enemies, they're awesome people and I'm ****ing jealous of how close their devs are to them... SAKURAIIII) but our own trolls instead. Jesus guys, chances are we're gonna be in the spotlight again soon- at least hide the trolling.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Why? They didn't.

I haven't really seen a lot of trash talk on their end aside from that ridiculous tweet (which of course the developers all apologized for and demoted the guy in charge of it)... actually, their forums read like they're criticizing themselves more than anybody else.

On the other hand, I want for their community to see our community in a positive light so that we don't further continue to disenfranchise the FGC. Sure, it's not secret that the FGC in general thinks of melee as some ****-for-brains party game, but I think that only gives us more incentive to bolster our support and allies as much as possible. Last thing I want is for every single community we come into any sort of "competition" with to leave that competition thinking "the FGC was right, smashers are *******s". Let's prove them the **** wrong, people.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Guys, the whole point of getting Melee to Evo (at least as far as I know) is to get our community some attention and respect. If you act like a Nixon, you're just going to give our detractors ammo to use that attention against us, and more reason to do so. THERE'S NO POINT IN WINNING IF WE LOSE OURSELVES ON THE WAY. LITERALLY.
We need to show the world the best of us.

Also note that downvoting comments based on ideas, rather than content is not proper redditiquette (Holy crap what is this word why does it exist I can't believe they did that UGH).

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Guys, the whole point of getting Melee to Evo (at least as far as I know) is to get our community some attention and respect. If you act like a Nixon, you're just going to give our detractors ammo to use that attention against us, and more reason to do so. THERE'S NO POINT IN WINNING IF WE LOSE OURSELVES ON THE WAY. LITERALLY.
We need to show the world the best of us.

Also note that downvoting comments based on ideas, rather than content is not proper redditiquette (Holy crap what is this word why does it exist I can't believe they did that UGH).
I like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom