• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Skullgirls Twitter account implies Melee not an "actual" fighting game

Crispy4001

Smash Ace

Just passed Melee as well as of this post. Figure that this thread can be a renewed call to arms. If they're willing to go this lowbrow, it may as well serve as a reminder and motivating force for us.

Keep it classy, smashboards. Let's go for a dignified win instead of demeaning them like poor sports.

BrandX

Smash Ace
I don't really believe that is what they meant, I think they meant by "the REAL fighter is coming for you" as in SkullGirls is the BEST fighter, not that Smash isn't a fighter.

Just my two cents really.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
"An actual fighter" doesn't sound anything remotely like "the BEST fighter."

Nevertheless, what's said has been said. No johns. ;)

Scar

#HarveyDent
yeah they said that it was all in good fun but the implication is certainly that SSBM is not an actual fighting game

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
yea don't take it too seriously imo. its a bit snide but its just a friendly jab if anything. lol

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
Trash talk can backfire. It seems to be uniting all the Smash communities. From what I've seen we've mostly done a pretty good job of turning it into a positive and rallying our efforts.

Also just because something is just friendly trash talk, does not mean it can not be in poor taste.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
i wrote this on /r/smashbros but i thought it would be relevant as to why it's in bad taste
It's irksome because the topic of Smash not being a real fighting game is a common dismissive attitude that many people have about the game, plus it's the go-to argument for traditional fighters to demonstrate their superiority over competitive Smash. The argument itself is rather silly and meaningless, but the fact that game devs themselves reinforced this idea is somewhat upsetting, and slightly in bad taste. It reinforces the barrier between the Smash community and the FGC, one that has already been imposed out of misconception and lack of interest from either side towards one another - optimistically, we should be trying to build bridges between the two instead.
but still, we shouldn't be taking it too seriously :bee:

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
i wrote this on /r/smashbros but i thought it would be relevant as to why it's in bad taste

but still, we shouldn't be taking it too seriously :bee:
I just find it interesting how plans were being made for Skullgirls at Genesis 3 if they faltered, and then a member of high standing in their group dismiss our game (and by proxy our community).

J.D

Smash Rookie
Arguments like this usually happens because people think Smashers are easily teased.
Stop enforcing that conduct (bringing attention to it) and the practice will surely be gone :)

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
well smash does lack certain mixups that other fighting games have and certain mindgames such as "doing something wrong/unsafe several times in a row in order to get into the opponents head" will generally get you killed rather than make the opponent second guess himself.

but melee IS a fighting game, just one that heavily focuses footsies and other movement for fundimentals such as zoning, and a good degree of technicality in most of the higher tiered characters (fox and falco are kind of BS tho)

long story short, the tweet is nothing to get upset over imo

:phone:

BrandX

Smash Ace
I just find it interesting how plans were being made for Skullgirls at Genesis 3 if they faltered, and then a member of high standing in their group dismiss our game (and by proxy our community).
The thing is, I don't think most of the SG's community knew about you guys getting a SG tournament at Genesis 3.

zmx

Smash Lord
It's silly to take this too seriously. If you are offended or shocked by this...I bet you don't visit many places besides Smashboards. Do you realize how many people on other forums say this in earnest? They don't even mean it as a joke, they legitimately believe it.

Heck go to any casual Smash board on the net and ask if it is a real fighting game. I bet anything more than half the responses will say it's a casual beat em up or party brawler only.

It's just the popular opinion of Smash as a game. First impressions are extremely hard to change.

Mahie

Smash Lord
well smash does lack certain mixups that other fighting games have and certain mindgames such as "doing something wrong/unsafe several times in a row in order to get into the opponents head" will generally get you killed rather than make the opponent second guess himself.
You ever seen Mango play?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
They are aware we are regrouping and are hash tagging the fighting game community to help them out. We got a lot to prepare for if we are going to win this but I have no doubt in my mind Melee can come out on top.

BrandX

Smash Ace
Im taking this twitter thing pretty hard...I guess skullgirls looks like enemy number 1 to smash...

Was everything i worked for to try to bond the communitys for naught..?

Gea

Smash Master
Im taking this twitter thing pretty hard...I guess skullgirls looks like enemy number 1 to smash...

Was everything i worked for to try to bond the communitys for naught..?
No one really cares, they just want to see Melee win. Are you going to attend any smash events in person? That's where the magic happens.

BrandX

Smash Ace
No one really cares, they just want to see Melee win. Are you going to attend any smash events in person? That's where the magic happens.
I did want to go to genesis 3,only because I would be able to support yours and ny community. But as far as I know, the people who run gensis 3 no longer want skullgirls because of the tweet...

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
How is this different from, say, UMvC3 where "doing something wrong/unsafe several times in a row in order to get into the opponents head" WILL get you killed and possibly even perfected?

but melee IS a fighting game, just one that heavily focuses footsies and other movement for fundimentals such as zoning, and a good degree of technicality in most of the higher tiered characters (fox and falco are kind of BS tho)
Not disagreeing with you, but how is this different from, say, SSFIV: AE or SFxT where entire games can end up being nothing but footsies and zoning?

Gea

Smash Master
Let the dust settle. People have kneejerk reactions to stuff. If you really want the truth, go to the Melee forum where there is a topic discussing Genesis 3 and post in support of Skullgirls and how you, aka the actual community and not the devs, respect Melee and want to see Skullgirls at G3

BrandX

Smash Ace
Let the dust settle. People have kneejerk reactions to stuff. If you really want the truth, go to the Melee forum where there is a topic discussing Genesis 3 and post in support of Skullgirls and how you, aka the actual community and not the devs, respect Melee and want to see Skullgirls at G3
Done...not sure how much they'll listen to me.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
SG at G3 was and is just an idea that had been tossed out there. We never committed to it in any way or ruled it out.

I have to say I think smashers being so petulant about this is a little disappointing.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
^ it's a very sensitive subject for a lot of smashers so what did you expect ~_~ not many people outside of the smash community understand how sensitive the subject is to many of our own members, so it's easy to joke about it for them. which is part of why i dont think we should take it so seriously

zmx

Smash Lord
Like I said. A lot of you need to stop being so sheltered.

Go to any other forum and this sort of thing is casually said ALL THE TIME. Don't be so shocked.

Just the other day I jokingly said on another forum that Smash 4 being on the Wii U would probably mean they'd remove much of the depth. People were like in all seriousness "Smash? Depth? Lol u troll" and "Mashes buttons and wins. Nope this is still the same smash I remember".

Violence

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure we all expected it from stupid flamers and trolls.

We didn't really expect it from the developers.

Top Bottom