• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slide-canceled Pivot Grab?

Joe_Musashi

Smash Rookie
I've been playing around with the "Up-smash slide" AT for a bit with Snake (i.e the "snakeslide") and it seems that you can pull off a semi-slide pivot grab by using the same trick. I'm referring to the AT where you tap the analog stick, press down on the c-stick to activate a dash attack, then slam up on the analog stick and hold the z button-creating a sort of "slide"

To do the pivot grab version, just tap the analog stick in the opposite direction your character is facing while pressing the z button intead of tapping up and holding z. That should do it.

What seems to be happening is an "instant pivot dash-grab". Basically the same animation as if you were to begin running across the stage and perform a pivot grab. However, because the running animation is cut out of the picture, the character appears to slide across the stage in the same animation.

It has a effect similar to a wavedash, albeit with a bit of lag time afterward depending upon the character. I tried this out with fox and he went (roughly) about a third of the way across Final Destination when I did it perfectly. It can be done out of a foxtrot as well. This seems to significantly increase it's usefulness, at least with fox. It's pretty easy to do back to back once you get the hang of it.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Hmmm, depending on the distance involved this may or may not be useful. It could certainly see application if it's fast and lengthy like a wavedash, I'll have to experiment with this. Nice find!

Joe_Musashi

Smash Rookie
It seems that some characters got the short end of the stick, just like the "up-smash slide" AT.
The space animals can use this "Instant Pivot Dash-Grab" thing wonderfully from my tests. Ike's is great.Pikachu's goes a nice distance as well, but it is somewhat hard to do.

Mario and Luigi have pretty solid ones, though Dedede, bowser, ganon, etc are screwed. Some other characters just go a very short distance. Still usable for some mindgames though

Remember, the input for the pivot grab has to be done around the same time you would input the up-smash for the "slide" AT. Fool with it for a bit, and you'll get it-but it has to be done in the opening frames (before you even see the dash attack).

Do it right and the character will go sliding in the direction they were facing while flipping around in a pivot dash-grab (the animation is different from the regular dash grab, and the lag is about the same as a regular grab depending on the character). You should see no running animation unless you did this out of a foxtrot/regular dash/etc.

This is all coming off of some very quickly done checks around the roster, so continue to play with this and form your own opinions about this thing's usefulness. I feel like I'm on to something...something that will definitely become a nice addition to the game of a few characters at least.

Joe_Musashi

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the thread/vid to back this up. I think that the "slide" style input might be a little easier than yours though. Also, it seems as though every character CAN do this, just that there are a few where it's simply not worth it.

I think that Pivot Wave Grab is an excellent name for this, by the way.

???????

Smash Journeyman
This little pivot trick is already known and I think was even named the exact same thing about four times; still, very useful. It seems a bit similar to my Capedashing technique by the way you described the cancel (Mine cancels the running animation rather than the initial dash which also result in a slide but is more based on momentum than the actual movement of the dash/run), in which technically works on every character but gives Mario the most distance with his cape.

*Cool find nevertheless and I hope you find out more techniques like this*

*Maybe try my little trick sometime too*

Top Bottom