• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Small talk with paOol

saberhof

Smash Master
a lil talk i had with paOol and too see his view on things at the moment and the state of brawl.

Joelui89: Saberhof
Misterpkim: PaOol

joelui89 (9:01:37 PM): ah ready? =D

misterpkim (9:01:54 PM): ya
joelui89 (9:01:43 PM): ok

joelui89 (9:02:22 PM): so first of all, this mini interview, if we can call it
that, is for my benefit and for all diddy players i would be sending this too,
i love diddy btw...

misterpkim (9:02:33 PM): same

joelui89 (9:02:52 PM): so when you started the game you just picked diddy? or did you have him in mind?

misterpkim (9:04:57 PM): Way before smash dojo was out. around when the E3 brawl trailer was first shown. like anyone else, i was hyped for the game. so i went over to ign.com and i checked the message boards. i noticed a thread called "who would you like to see in brawl?" inside was a poll. i remember seeing Ridley, Diddy Kong, Sonic, and a few others (i think K. Rool). It was then that i decided that if Diddy Kong was put in brawl, i would main him no matter what

joelui89 (9:05:37 PM): truly i would think the same...were you part of smashboards at the time?

misterpkim (9:08:22 PM): I had been lurking smashboards since around 2004 i believe. I was at anime expo and i was playing some melee in the game room. There was a pretty good ness player there and a luigi player as well. I remember the luigi player asking the ness if he was on smashboards. I knew about smashboards before this, so i thought it was pretty cool that he brought it up. but i did not make an account until pretty recently

joelui89 (9:09:11 PM): interesting, lurking lol....

joelui89 (9:09:41 PM): were you part of the competitive scene of melee?, just a random player going to tourneys? or hanging out?

misterpkim (9:12:19 PM): After playing lots of friendlies with people in brawl, i get asked that a lot. Believe it or not, i was pretty scrub-like back then. I was in high school and i was one of the best in my school (thats not saying much). I beat all my friends who talked crap and that was enough for me at the time. I knew how to tech and wave dash and all that, but i never really thought about the competitive scene until it was too late. By then brawl was already so big especially after the E for All demo.

joelui89 (9:13:43 PM): so that said, do you feel happy about the removal of the advance techniques? you don't care? or any thoughts?

misterpkim (9:18:15 PM): Mmmm, I think it was both a good and bad move. Whether or not wavedashing / L canceling was removed or kept, some people would have been upset either way. I think that Nintendo realized this, but appealed more to the casual crowd since there are obviously way more of them. Personally, I don't really care that wavedashing is gone. And i also wouldn't care if wavedashing was still in. Either way i would play competitively. However, i do think Brawl is an overall more "fun" experience because of the removal of wavedashing.

joelui89 (9:19:19 PM): awesome, i really didnt care for the advance ****, but it did make you look good and it gave that competitive level to the game.

joelui89 (9:19:36 PM): do you think brawl will reach that kind of competitiveness in some years?

misterpkim (9:24:35 PM): As much as i would like brawl to retain that "hardcore" competitive style of play that melee had, I just don't think it will be the same. It is like with Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii. You had snaking in the DS version which people used to gain an advantage. the Wii version removes snaking from the game, but Mario Kart Wii will still be a great game and still have competitive players, but they are 2 different games. I do think that brawl will bring a wider audience to the whole tournament scene though.

joelui89 (9:26:09 PM): i too think this will be a **** good game and that hating players will start playing it at some point <:p
joelui89 (9:26:54 PM): now going a lil deeper into this brawl game

misterpkim (9:27:01 PM): kk

joelui89 (9:27:20 PM): a brief explanation of diddy and what hes capable of...

misterpkim (9:28:07 PM): oo

misterpkim (9:28:08 PM): u want one

joelui89 (9:28:13 PM): please

misterpkim (9:28:16 PM): haha

joelui89 (9:28:39 PM): not his moves

joelui89 (9:28:41 PM): just like

joelui89 (9:28:44 PM): what he is lol

misterpkim (9:28:57 PM): ?_?

misterpkim (9:28:59 PM): a monkey? lol

joelui89 (9:29:07 PM): lol

joelui89 (9:29:58 PM): well maybe you could explain the speed, what he is more experienced in

joelui89 (9:31:16 PM): like what to expect from using the monkey with naners...

joelui89 (9:33:28 PM): >o>

misterpkim (9:33:39 PM): Diddy is in the medium weight class and he's pretty fast. His KO moves aren't the greatest, but his aerial game and bananas are pretty godlike. Diddy is not a character that you can spam Smash moves and expect to win. His range is his biggest weakness so you have to be able to approach players carefully. Also, edguarding is a MUST with diddy. Otherwise you're gimping yourself.

joelui89 (9:34:06 PM): would you consider diddy a good starter character?

misterpkim (9:38:57 PM): Hmm...Yes and No. A friend of mine told me that Diddy was pretty easy to use. But that was after he had watched my video guide so he at least had an idea on how to play Diddy. It might be easy to rack up damage with Diddy, but he's kind of like Metaknight (in the sense that its easy to deal damage, but not finish) except he's a little slower/stronger. And I don't think that a beginner will be able to use bananas properly. You can win by getting them over 130% and using Dsmash or Fsmash but this isn't the best way to play as diddy.

joelui89 (9:40:39 PM): so its more of a "learn everything he does and use it well" kind of thing?

misterpkim (9:40:56 PM): Yea

joelui89 (9:42:07 PM): concerning the "god" item...

joelui89 (9:42:09 PM): the banana

joelui89 (9:42:57 PM): how is this mostly used as? to actually cause the opponent to fall? or just a map filler? throwing? mindgames?

joelui89 (9:43:01 PM): or all of the above?

misterpkim (9:47:36 PM): I haven't seen many other diddy players who have been taking advantage of the bananas so i can't really comment on how people are using it, but i can explain how i do. its absolutely essential that you learn how to glide toss in order to use bananas effectively. It helps so much it's ridiculous. I use the bananas in order to get a free hit or smash attack off my opponent. and it can also be used for mindgames. If you are throwing bananas right after picking them up throughout the whole game, eventually your opponent will catch on and shield when they see you pick one up. So what you can do is pick one up, and follow up with a Diddy Hump (side->B) to catch them offguard. Then proceed to throw the banana and get another hit off of them.

joelui89 (9:50:24 PM): nice, so this glide tossing...

joelui89 (9:50:45 PM): ive seen it in videos

joelui89 (9:50:56 PM): and i didnt catch it in your how to be pro at diddy video...

misterpkim (9:52:03 PM): o i mentioned it in there

misterpkim (9:52:06 PM): near the end

joelui89 (9:52:46 PM): *watches again*
joelui89 (9:54:51 PM): hmm
joelui89 (9:56:16 PM): aah
joelui89 (9:56:17 PM): ok
joelui89 (9:56:23 PM): didnt see that
joelui89 (9:56:41 PM): amazing
joelui89 (9:57:54 PM): moving deeper now
joelui89 (9:58:05 PM): diddy's moves
joelui89 (9:58:16 PM): you mention the KO moves
joelui89 (9:58:22 PM): even a tilt can kill

misterpkim (9:58:34 PM): yea

joelui89 (9:59:01 PM): what about his combo ability?, do you find it vast? or pretty low at the moment?

misterpkim (10:03:51 PM): Im not too sure at this point in time. It's still pretty early, but i do believe that overall, the combos in brawl won't be as crazy as they were in melee. Part of this is because everyone is "floaty". He does have a few easy combos but they are pretty basic and almost all characters have similar ones. I do hope to discover some sick combos for my second combo video though. I feel like i can make MAJOR improvements from first one.

joelui89 (10:07:37 PM): yeah i guees its all about time

joelui89 (10:07:42 PM): and what it tells

joelui89 (10:09:50 PM): i have 5 minutes so any new info you wish to give other diddy players, with you, not being such a represented player, but you are truly starting fresh from now and your showing what is capable at the moment, and i respect you for it, even though i don't have brawl, i am still trying to get good, id just really like any point from your view...

misterpkim (10:13:54 PM): mmm, with Diddy, i want to emphasize again that you HAVE to edgeguard. Throw them off the stage and jump over to where they are and finish them with a Fair or something. making it back on the stage is not a problem for diddy. He has one of the best recoveries in the game. Be sure to use your Dair to spike whenever they are above 45% and you get the chance. Also experiment with banana mindgames.

joelui89 (10:14:26 PM): banana mindgames = instant win...

joelui89 (10:14:42 PM): thnx paOol, i appreciate the time man...

misterpkim (10:14:48 PM): ya np

squarez

Smash Apprentice
GJ interview looks like you're the TOP diddy player, no competition in sight.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
The review was far too casual for my tastes, and it had some bias from the author, which doesn't make good reporting. Interviews are about the one being interviewed and interjecting that you don't care fore "advanced ****" isn't very professional at all.

Also, your questions are very vague, and with a topic as big as "How do you play Diddy Kong?" it was easy to see that Masterpkim was daunted by that very vague topic. The questions asked are pretty bad and that only gives so much for Masterpkim to talk about. You, as the interviewer, have to be like a key; open the doors for discussion in topics that are intuitive and informative.

You have a lot to learn about interviews, and while I'm not expert, people would likely benefit from an in-depth Diddy interview. The overall information I saw just glided over the importance of bananas and that he's a lighter character who can easily rack damage but his weaker attacks lend to a harder time to finishing off opponents. That's very basic information on Diddy and doesn't teach people many things.

saberhof

Smash Master
lol dude, i made it up at the moment i was IM'ing with him, i wasn't gonna even post it in the first place, but i guess i will learn to interview better, i knew it wasn't a good interview, but it worked for me as a better understanding of what i should do with the character...

pesticide

Smash Lord
good interview. pa0ol says that he doesnt see many diddys out there using nanners like they should be used.

guess i need to upload a few vids of how i use them :)

riddlenzomg

Smash Rookie
The review was far too casual for my tastes, and it had some bias from the author, which doesn't make good reporting. Interviews are about the one being interviewed and interjecting that you don't care fore "advanced ****" isn't very professional at all.

Also, your questions are very vague, and with a topic as big as "How do you play Diddy Kong?" it was easy to see that Masterpkim was daunted by that very vague topic. The questions asked are pretty bad and that only gives so much for Masterpkim to talk about. You, as the interviewer, have to be like a key; open the doors for discussion in topics that are intuitive and informative.

You have a lot to learn about interviews, and while I'm not expert, people would likely benefit from an in-depth Diddy interview. The overall information I saw just glided over the importance of bananas and that he's a lighter character who can easily rack damage but his weaker attacks lend to a harder time to finishing off opponents. That's very basic information on Diddy and doesn't teach people many things.
what is this?
nbc?

Looper

Smash Journeyman

i'm going to have to agree with this

Top Bottom