• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Announced at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Discuss the new Smash game here.

All we know so far is that it will be for the 3DS and the Wii-U.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
Smashboards didn't waste any time, as expected :p

But, if Sak's at the helm, I don't think we should hold our breath for a more competitive game. They are focusing more on the hardcore market with this system, but it's still quirky Nintendo we're talkin about here.

It will definitely be the tons of fun, though.

Sariku

Smash Master
I don't think they're focusing on the hardcore at all with this system. If anything, it just looks like a jab at Apple and the graphics update that the Wii should have had six years ago.

I'll buy both Smash games regardless.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I have low hopes after Brawl, but I'll still give it a whirl.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
They didn't say much about it, so I'm expecting to see more next year. Hopefully they make the game more fun to play/remove tripping.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I love how they mentioned it, but didn't have it on their big picture at the end with all the titles on it.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I don't think they're focusing on the hardcore at all with this system. If anything, it just looks like a jab at Apple and the graphics update that the Wii should have had six years ago.
Batman Arkham City, Tekken, Assassins Creed, heavy EA involvement, etc.

Those 3 games alone are already more hardcore than the majority of the crap that's been released on the Wii.

Give the console some time please people. Sheesh.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think their mention was just soft-committing to do the title. I doubt they even have a team together yet to develop it. Maybe they've had 2-3 meetings at executive design level just to say "what do we want to do with the next game? I know, launch on handheld and wii-U simultaneously. I agree, let's get lunch and play golf now!"

AuraStUrm

Smash Journeyman
The lack of corded controllers (thus far) worries me - wireless interference at large events may become a much greater issue.

Super stoked either way.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
The lack of corded controllers (thus far) worries me - wireless interference at large events may become a much greater issue.

Super stoked either way.
Competitive gaming is moving away from physical location-bound tournaments towards more online competitive events. Fighting gamers are slower to respond to this movements since we require timing to be accurate down to 1-2 frames. As the capabilities of online gaming improve over time with infrastructure changes that allow faster data transfer and lower ping, we may see our tournaments be almost exclusively online events with less motivation to travel and show up at a tournament.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
They'd need to implement GGPO's rollback-style netcode before fighting gamers would accept online play as tournament standard.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Sad, but somewhat true.

Online gaming is slowly taking over any physical funfest tourney that one might attend to, personally though, going to them is much more amusing.

I'm also looking to see what Sakurai's approach will be this time around, competative? or casual?

We can't say anything for sure as we have to little to go on, for now it will be fun speculation.

:phone:

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wouldn't say that Smash 4 is announced, but it is definitely getting considered for both platforms.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I thought there was some comment made that the 3DS and Wii U games would be able to connect somehow or something. If that's the case then I'm really wary as to what this Smash game could be like. I don't see such a feature fitting into gameplay in any sort of positive way.

It was either that or there was going to be a way to implement the new controller. I don't quite remember. I'm pretty sure it was the former though.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm pretty sure Iwata was talking about being able to use the controller while playing, that part also left me confused.

I'd say that the 3DS and Wii-U will somehow syncronize and exchange data like records and such, I'm not really sure though.

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom