• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I have no problem with dlc per se but when it's done like this no way. The commercial was funny and all but it just wasn't Nintendo to me. So no nintendo please no more dlc like this
Dude, it's free DLC. What's the problem here?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I really want the GLA. It's going to be so awesome racing in it online!

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I can't wait to get the GLA. And I hope there's DLC amnounced at E3. Not just for characters, but car parts and tracks too. I'd pay for it, no questions asked.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I can't wait to get the GLA. And I hope there's DLC amnounced at E3. Not just for characters, but car parts and tracks too. I'd pay for it, no questions asked.
I'd be down for some F-Zero tracks as DLC. They would work really well with the anti-gravity now in Mario Kart.
I'd also like to see a decent GBA track, like Cheese Land.

Last edited:

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Please Nintendo, yes more because I want King Boo.
I love free dlc and no doubt I'll probably pick this up out of curiosity but, It's what the dlc itself represents that bothers me I hate product placement in games it's just a pet peeve of mine. It's like if I'm playing any game and see a bag of Doritos it kinda kills the immersion for me. however, I don't speak for everyone in this regard but I personally would've preferred something a bit better.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I love free dlc and no doubt I'll probably pick this up out of curiosity but, It's what the dlc itself represents that bothers me I hate product placement in games it's just a pet peeve of mine. It's like if I'm playing any game and see a bag of Doritos it kinda kills the immersion for me. however, I don't speak for everyone in this regard but I personally would've preferred something a bit better.
You bring up a good point. Games need more Doritos, a single bag isn't enough :troll:

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Pikmin 2 says hello.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It represents the fact Mario Kart 8 will have DLC. Even possibly free.

Who cares if it's product placement if it opens the way for something awesome. I say let it come in.

And we've had regular cars with Wario's main vehicle in Double Dash, a corvette if I remember correctly. This isn't even odd looking compared to that.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Lovely summer day today; 29 degrees celsius, sun shines like no tomorrow. It was also the last day of work for me before my holiday (which is all of next week). Plus, got my Wii U (finally) delivered in today, along with MK8. My plans: go out and have a drink or two (or more) with friends tonight and enjoy the weather, forecast says it rains the whole weekend so from tomorrow onwards is when I dedicate all my time to Wii U & MK8, and next week will all go on hyping about E3 which I am able to follow live (or try to) for the first time ever. Life is good.
Screw you. I'm jealous.

Who cares if it's product placement if it opens the way for something awesome. I say let it come in.

And we've had regular cars with Wario's main vehicle in Double Dash, a corvette if I remember correctly. This isn't even odd looking compared to that.
There is a difference, that thing was just a car based on real life (what isn't). This is blatant advertising.
EA made me hate this with what they did to The Sims.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I just got extremely offended as a Corvette fan. You certainly rustled my jimmies and I had to search for the answer to prove you wrong, here it is: It is based on a 1958 Cadillac Eldorado.

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445

Bowser jr as dlc! yaaaaaay

Morbi

Scavenger
I thought birdo as a funny character
I loved Birdo's voice, it was great. Added a lot of personality to the game.

There's two. Her and Vivian. And technically Petey Piranha.
Oh, really? So they do not have a problem with removing transgendered characters from Mario Kart. Petey was the beginning and now Birdo has to suffer? That is not right!

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Screw you. I'm jealous.

There is a difference, that thing was just a car based on real life (what isn't). This is blatant advertising.
EA made me hate this with what they did to The Sims.
But this isn't from EA.

Does it really matter if it is advertising? Why is it okay to advertise in every medium but video games just because one cynical b**tard of a company did it too much?

Wait, Petey is transgendered? IIRC he was female in one version of Sunshine but he wasn't transgender.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Oh, really? So they do not have a problem with removing transgendered characters from Mario Kart. Petey was the beginning and now Birdo has to suffer? That is not right!
Well, "trans" in a sense. I think a better word is "gender-confused".
Some say he's a guy (such as America and Great Britain), however others (such as France) say otherwise.

Morbi

Scavenger
But this isn't from EA.

Does it really matter if it is advertising? Why is it okay to advertise in every medium but video games just because one cynical b**tard of a company did it too much?

Wait, Petey is transgendered? IIRC he was female in one version of Sunshine but he wasn't transgender.
How else did Petey change gender? Magic? Well actually, that was probably the case. Or there are two Petey's for some reason.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Well, "trans" in a sense. I think a better word is "gender-confused".
Some say he's a guy (such as America and Great Britain), however others (such as France) say otherwise.
I'm pretty sure some European versions just translated Petey to have a girl's name and be referred to using female pronouns. I'm not sure whether that was intentional or a big mistake.

Copied from Mario Wiki
Similar to Birdo and Vivian, Petey has a different gender depending on the region. In North America and Great Britain, the Piranha Plant is male as his various bios refer to Petey Piranha as a "he" as well as in-game by a Pianta in Super Mario Sunshine, his first appearance. In French, however, Petey is female and her name is "Flora Piranha", derived from "Flora", a female name. In German, the plant is gender-neutral. In Italian, Petey is male, derived from Pipino, an uncommon Italian name. In Spanish, he is male in most games but female in New Play Control: Mario Power Tennis, sharing her French name.

In Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Kersti refers to Petey Piranha as an "it."

Last edited:

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
IMO localization changes don't count. What the original creator intended does.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I sort of get why people might find product placement immersion breaking in a game like Mario Kart that's in a fantasy setting. It doesn't bother me at all, but I get where people are coming from.

What I don't understand is why a whole lot of people find it immersion breaking in games/movies/ect. that are supposed to be set in the real world like the Sims, sports games and even Pikmin(which is heavily implied to take place on earth in the future). Have you been to the real world? There's product placement everywhere! And, you know, actual products. If anything I'd say the product placement adds to the realism. Unless it's really poorly done of course.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Mario kart 8?

I'd rock that mercedes, but I like bikes more than karts.....

Conflicted.

Anyone get the golden glider yet? ;_;

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
The Sims isn't (or wasn't, they pimped the **** out of it in TS3) exactly real world setting, so to speak. The Sims 1 had mostly "references" to the real world, places and products, the most explicit being Hollywood in my opinion, included in the Superstar expansion pack. The Sims 3 has a ****ing Katy Perry pack, literally her name is in the title. Instead of creating their own fantasy products/items based on real stuff (I'm not saying they should plagiarize), they go and sell their integrity to other corporations in exchange of money.

You can tell when a company is being greedy with it.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Mercedes? I wanted a Ferrari....

Anyone get the golden glider yet? ;_;
Unless you're an all-nighter,I don't think most players got to it yet.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Sims isn't (or wasn't, they pimped the **** out of it in TS3) exactly real world setting, so to speak. The Sims 1 had mostly "references" to the real world, places and products, the most explicit being Hollywood in my opinion, included in the Superstar expansion pack. The Sims 3 has a ****ing Katy Perry pack, literally her name is in the title. Instead of creating their own fantasy products/items based on real stuff (I'm not saying they should plagiarize), they go and sell their integrity to other corporations in exchange of money.

You can tell when a company is being greedy with it.
...It's EA. -_-

That said, The Sims is still more of a realistic setting than say, Rollercoaster Typhoon or Sim City. Other than the really weird humanoid choices(like Death himself), it was not an unrealistic place at all. Take away the part about Soul Reapers/Hollow/etc. in Bleach, and you'll notice the town itself is completely realistic. That's a realistic setting, it just has specific fantasy elements in the story, but the place itself is clearly realistic. There's nothing odd about the basic town itself. Normal bars, establishments, etc. Same thing with some Power Rangers seasons. Etc.

The Sims takes place in an overall realistic world. It just has a few fantasy elements added to make it interesting. This isn't like Sonic or Mario either, which are in very unrealistic areas(well, outside of the moments in the real world). It's most the fact that it had tons of "monsters" and animal-based humanoids. Pokemon is pretty much the same thing. Digimon(in the human world) is a fairly normal place, give or take a few bits, where the Digital World adds the fantastical elements(and obviously the Digimon too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom