• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

TidusAni

Smash Apprentice
Nido I don't understand your "fixed" would you care to explain
Please give me a list of your thoroughly though out reasoning and intense knowledge of these games, to explain to me how you came upon your perspective.
billy2g, where you been son?

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Shoutouts
Jawma: we lost because you have no beard
Nicks: double beard was too good for us
Dekar: King of Brawl right here
Rebound: such a manly Ganon
Mozart: ggs in dubs
Ledge: ggs in dubs, Melbourne uni represent
Toshi: still too good for me
SD and Leisha: ggs
Tibs: thanks for that one friendly, I hope to never have to play you again
Khoa: nice tournament-that-actually-wasn't match
Attila: you got better
Jei: sif you'll quit, then who'd be my eternal rival?
Tommy: you're so good now man
Joey: please stop punching me
ViVa: stop bailing plz

:phone:

SL.Chris

Smash Cadet
ShadowLogic and Smash in 2013

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the late post I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who made it out to the Smash Tournament on the 1st, hopefully you all had an awesome time and got lots of games in. =)

I got a chance to have a chat Attila at the meet and we went over some really interesting topics, including future Smash events at ShadowLogicHQ, having a dedicated space for regular meets and the potential of having Smash featured at Shadowloo Showdown 2013.

All of which we both had very positive reponses for, so I thought I would give you guys a brief run down of what we have planned for Smash at ShadowLogicHQ in 2013:

Monthly Tournaments.
We'll be aiming to have the one big tournament a month, at this stage it is looking very likely that it will be on a Saturday.
I know we were looking at the idea of maybe having fortnightly tournaments, but in the end we decided that it might not be in the best interest of the community at this time.

Instead however, we want to focus on more regular casual meets, which brings me to my next point:

Fortnightly Smash Meets
As some of you may be aware we currently have every second Friday Night at ShadowLogicHQ dedicated to 2D/3D Fighting game casuals.
We might have small team tournaments, exhibition matches and what have you, but the goal is really to just game it up till the early hours of the morning. =P

Attila mentioned that in recent times it has been harder and harder to organize casual meets due to the difficulties of having a space to accomodate the sheer size of the community.

If possible I would like to get the Smash scene more involved in these fortnightly "Fighter" nights that we have at ShadowLogicHQ.
I've mentioned it on many occasions but ultimately it is our goal to be able to provide the community with all the neccessary resources where the only thing you will need to bring with you to participate is yourself and your controller.

You can just rock up to either the Monthly Tournament or Casual Meet without having to worry about bringing a TV, a console or a copy of the game, just your controller.

Hopefully, by the time 2013 rolls around we would have been able to achieve this. =)

So the monthly calendar will include the one main tournament and 2 fornightly casual meets. What do you guys think about this?
I feel it is a good number of events throughout the month to give players the necessary tournament experience and practice time in lead up to potential majors, which bring me to the last point:

Smash at Shadowloo Showdown 2013.
One of the things that Attila was interested to know was whether or not Smash would be considered for Shadowloo Showdown in 2013 and in short the answer I gave him was, Yes. =)
With the prospects of Smash Melee making it into the Evo Championship Series next year, I have no reason to see why Smash would not be featured at Shadowloo Showdown.

We went over many topics including:

International presence - Traditionally we aim to bring down high profile players from overseas who specialize in certain games, not only give our local players a chance to face off against them but also to add a degree of prestige to our event.

Nintendo Sponsorship - We plan to be a lot more active in 2013 with our approach towards sponsors and Nintendo is one of the big ones.
If there is the prospect of bringing Nintendo onboard to support our event then you can bet that Smash at SS2K13 will reach a level of unprecedented awesomeness.

Smash WiiU - We still don't know much about this game and when it is due out, but one thing I am interested to see is when this game lands how will it shift the balance of the Smash Scene?
Will it be a game that everyone from both Melee and Brawl jump onto essentially unifying the scene? Or will it have its own place as a 3rd title in the Smash Series along side Melee and Brawl.

+ much, much more.

So yea, lots of big things to look forward to in Melbourne for Smash 2013 and I can assure you that ShadowLogic will be there to support and grow the scene every step of the way.

Thanks ya'll =)

SL.Chris.

P.S - @Leisha - I found your black jumper, I'll put it away for you untill the next smash event or feel free to swing past and pick it up whenever you want. =)

Splice

Smash Hero
Smash WiiU - We still don't know much about this game and when it is due out, but one thing I am interested to see is when this game lands how will it shift the balance of the Smash Scene?
Will it be a game that everyone from both Melee and Brawl jump onto essentially unifying the scene? Or will it have its own place as a 3rd title in the Smash Series along side Melee and Brawl.
Or it will it go too far down Brawl's path (or do something hyper gimmicky) rendering it totally unfit for competitive play? Just looking out for everyone and reminding them of the possibility, don't want too much filthy optimism ;)

In regards to these fortnightly fighter meets and whatnot, is there a possibility of a serious tournament being organised at these events and if so who can do this and is it possible/acceptable to turn it into a proper tournament with $$$ or some other type of motivation? Speaking for myself, I would prefer more tournament situations seeing as a lot of us have a satisfying amount of casual get togethers for practice anyway. And to be honest, the best smash meets in my experience are the ones with just 2 closely matched and incredibly handsome people. If no-one feels the same don't mind me, just proposing using the opportunity for more serious tournaments with hype fakt0r (even if they don't all have a lot of people) rather than more muck-around situations.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
2 paths with new smash game
melee, brawl and new smash tournaments
or the likelier
melee and new smash game tournaments (brawl obsoleted)

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Okay thanks Chris =). I'm in no rush for the jumper, but I'm glad to hear that its in safe keeping!

Next year I should have my licence, so ill have a ton more flexibility. Although unfortunately with my new job managing a KFC store, I might have less weekends off :/. We'll see.

That's great to hear about the fortnightly meetups aswell :0! This has been an ongoing problem for a while. No one could really host (or at least not a ton of people) and n2c got much too expensive.

Splice

Smash Hero
That's great to hear about the fortnightly meetups aswell :0! This has been an ongoing problem for a while. No one could really host (or at least not a ton of people) and n2c got much too expensive.
The biggest problem was that uh N2C now has no TV's and also it sucks mad hard on the D

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Even if it had the TVs still, I don't think many people would wanna go. I mean it got expensive paying 4 bucks an hour, then getting food and the train ticket.

Too costly and I probably wouldn't go even if there were TVs.

S.D

Smash Master
Saturday tournamentssssssss **** yeah.

I think the Australian community, in general, suffers for a lack of competitive meets. This is exacerbated by the fact that our community is so widespread that the 'top' player group only gets together once a year maximum. More competition would breed better players, but it's a matter of balancing this with regular attendance. Ideally we could have MORE competitions and EVERYONE still turn up, but I don't think that is realistic..

New smash game? Not getting my hopes up. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Probably will have to lug a wii u gamepad, nintendo DS and pro controller everyone you go......

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Even if it had the TVs still, I don't think many people would wanna go. I mean it got expensive paying 4 bucks an hour, then getting food and the train ticket.

Too costly and I probably wouldn't go even if there were TVs.

S.D

Smash Master
Also what is the status with the Nintendo affiliation? As far as I was aware Nintendo has always been extremely reluctant to endorsing their "party" games as a competitive title... At least that is my understanding of previous attempts to collaborate with them.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
I'm happy to go to anything during the holidays, but during school it will be difficult with y12 :(

but more meetups yay

Dekar289

Smash Hero
Also what is the status with the Nintendo affiliation? As far as I was aware Nintendo has always been extremely reluctant to endorsing their "party" games as a competitive title... At least that is my understanding of previous attempts to collaborate with them.
yep good luck slhq

SL.Chris

Smash Cadet
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses and interest, to answer some of the questions that you guys have:

Smash WiiU - I guess we will have to see how things unfold. If you have seen the recent news it looks like the next game won't be due out any time soon =(
Link - http://www.smashboards.com/misc.php?do=news&id=330894

More Tournaments - We would be more than happy to organize more Tournaments if there is the community interest for them.

As S.D mentioned, it comes down to making sure that there is a balance between competitive and casuals events. We want to make sure that there are not only enough casual meets to keep the scene growing and to promote socializing but also enough tournaments to keep the competitive spirits high within the community.

We just want to make sure that we don't overdo things too quickly. The last thing we want is for everyone to burn out or for events to have small turnouts because there is too much going on every month.

So I think to kick off 2013, we will start with the Monthly Schedule of 1 Tournament + 2 Fortnightly Casuals meetups. If need be we can always arrange to have some side Tournaments during the fortnightly casual events or even add a separate Tournament day to the Monthly Schedule if peeps are really keen for more competition.

This will all be much easier to accomplish next year when we have all of our own equipment in the venue. We won't need to worry about having enough consoles or TV's, so at a moments notice we could organize to have another tournament, casual meet or special event just like that.

Hopefully that is something for you guys to look forward to in 2013. =)

Nintendo Sponsorship - This is something that we will be working very hard towards in the coming year.
We hope that as the ShadowLogic name continues to grow and we acquire more sponsors, we will get to the point where we can approach Nintendo as well. =)

Thanks Guys.

P.S. - On a side note, we will be having our last Casual Fighter's Meetup next Friday, the 21st of December.

Seeing as there is some interest in the Meetups Thread, what do you guys think about joining in? I can arrange to have the CRT's and Wii Consoles setup for you guys, but I will probably need to ask the community again to bring some extra gear along to make up for what we're missing. So some extra copies of the game, data saves, consoles etc.etc.

On the plus side we will be having food and drink so it should make for a pretty entertaining night if you guys decide to come around.

It's kind of our end of year Celebration before we take 2 weeks break over Christmas and New Year's to do some major renovations.

Let me know if you guys are interested and I'll make the arrangements. =)

Edit - Forgot to mention we'll be closing up late for those that are interested in coming down for the Casual Night, like 4AM late. =P

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
A couple of us were interested in a meetup on the 21st which sounds awesome. What time were you planning to hold this btw? I have work 12-6pm that day, so I probably wont turn up until 7ish 8pm.

SL.Chris

Smash Cadet
@Leisha - We'll be there all night =).
People will probably start rocking up at around 4PM and we'll probably close up at around 4AM latest if peeps are still around. =P

S.D

Smash Master
QLD always has Summersmash early in the year (January I think) and that's usually their big one. Then its up to Sydney to host something else... Unless Nova returns for another Reloaded.

Bu$

HoC
Anyone going tonight for melee? Someone needs to teach me how to play and can someone tell me the address for "shadow logic HQ" ceeebs looking for it through the thread. Fankssss guuuuyyyysssss!

MR_Scribble

Smash Cadet
Hey im fairly new to the smash community but would love to get going in some tournaments :) I play some competitive with some friends but would still love to get on a bit more with the community anyway I was wondering if I could maybe have some details about this whole thing and join you sometime for some smash, thanks
p.s. btw I play mostly melee and I suck @ brawl :L and from what I understand this is a mostly brawl get together thing?
p.s.s. Just because I play mostly melee doesn't actually mean im any good :L

Splice

Smash Hero
melee is probably more active than brawl to be honest.
There are no meets organised but if they do pop up you can find out by checking back here
Usually 2 days notice though

Dekar289

Smash Hero
melee da bess
the important question, whereabouts in vic are you at? any east melbourne suburb is a win

Top Bottom