• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smash 64, better than brawl?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Well melee and ssb64 are pretty close in my opinion... I love melee but I love 64 more, the gigantic combos just appeal to me..

Melee is by far the best competitive game since it has incredible offensive AND defensive options allowing more people to be at a competitive level where who wins is decided in a more suprising way

I find in ssb64 the defensive options are practically 0 aside from camping strategies (which almost any good player can get around) so the best techskill (isai, boom, etc) will destroy almost anyone...

Brawl just isnt competitive there are too many defensive options which promots excessive spamming and chipping from range, its a fun game if you just play it with friends but tourney wise? Its so boring... sheesh.

for fun... (for me) 64>melee>brawl

Competitive depth...

Melee > 64 > brawl

or possibly Melee = 64 < brawl, depending on who you ask. 64 is awesome though.

Superstar

Smash Champion
64 > Brawl. Of course if you asked this in the Brawl boards you'd get that Brawl is better, so ha. Once I'm 18 and my parents are less restrictive, and I buy a controller I'm getting back into SSB64, I have a wish to play it. Now if only my computer was better.

I remember when you used to dislike 64. You got into it long ago, but eh. Going to need to learn some CF, as those are my initials and it'd just be too much win.

I found several ways to get past the spamming in Brawl, but of course...I play Fox.

Amon Amarth

Smash Journeyman
I love all three. But to be honest, I am now loving 64 more than melee and brawl. Something about the combo formula in 64 seems, near perfect.

Hey, wouldn't it be nice to get the 64 scene back? Make it as big as melee was? I think that would be great.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I love all three. But to be honest, I am now loving 64 more than melee and brawl. Something about the combo formula in 64 seems, near perfect.

Hey, wouldn't it be nice to get the 64 scene back? Make it as big as melee was? I think that would be great.
Hell yeah it would, Im hoping to get montreal 64 smashers together again and hopefull invite superboomfan down and have him stay at my house (again) Last year we did that but only a few smash 64 players showed it was mostly melee, and a tourney got cancelled (booo)

BTW amon, if you like amon amarth (they f***in slay) Check out this cover I did of em on piano... I learned that song to cover with my metal band and wrote some keyboard / synth parts for it, but then made a video of me playing the main melodies on piano! Enjoy if you're into that kind of stuff :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtcSUcTtLbY

Best101

Smash Ace
I agree all the way. Smash64 is better than Brawl, nad Melee is better than both of them. I just hope Brawl will die out and Melee will rise again (I can't say the same for Smash64, it pretty much dissappeared even before Brawl showed up)

SuperDanny

Smash Rookie
Well melee and ssb64 are pretty close in my opinion... I love melee but I love 64 more, the gigantic combos just appeal to me..

Melee is by far the best competitive game since it has incredible offensive AND defensive options allowing more people to be at a competitive level where who wins is decided in a more suprising way

I find in ssb64 the defensive options are practically 0 aside from camping strategies (which almost any good player can get around) so the best techskill (isai, boom, etc) will destroy almost anyone...

Brawl just isnt competitive there are too many defensive options which promots excessive spamming and chipping from range, its a fun game if you just play it with friends but tourney wise? Its so boring... sheesh.

Competitive depth...

Melee > 64 > brawl

Everything said in this post is exactly how I feel too, couldn't have said it better myself.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I can't say if I like melee or 64 better. They both are very different and it depends on what mood I'm in.

I like melee because of its technical part. It keeps my fingers real busy and there constantly moving at a fast pace and I like that.

I like 64 because I really have to focus on the combos and I have to think constantly. It's also very VERY easy to predict moves by the newer players. I remember at a halo fest I went to one time, some other guy saw me playing ssb64 and he said he's played it before. He wasn't to great so I kind of knew a lot of things he was going to do. I just called out the moves right as he was going to do them. It was hilarious.

Brawl, on the other hand is what Sakurai wanted melee to be. He just turned brawl into the party game he wanted smash to be which I find fine. Like Dylan said, brawl is a good game to just play with your friends and such but to turn it into a competitive game?It's not going to get much more competitive (even if i should call it competitive) then it already is. Like many people have mentioned before, Street Fighter 3 was broken very soon after its released and it had 1000's of people trying to break it. Melee took so long because they didn't have anyone wanting to break it when it first came out. Brawl, on the other hand, has many people trying to break it and the only think we have found that is pretty useful is the reverse aerials and morter sliding.

So yeah. Melee and 64 > Brawl

Amon Amarth

Smash Journeyman
Hell yeah it would, Im hoping to get montreal 64 smashers together again and hopefull invite superboomfan down and have him stay at my house (again) Last year we did that but only a few smash 64 players showed it was mostly melee, and a tourney got cancelled (booo)

BTW amon, if you like amon amarth (they f***in slay) Check out this cover I did of em on piano... I learned that song to cover with my metal band and wrote some keyboard / synth parts for it, but then made a video of me playing the main melodies on piano! Enjoy if you're into that kind of stuff :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtcSUcTtLbY

Heh, too bad I live all the way down here in SoCal. Would be a hell of a trip just to go for a 64 tourney. =\

And of course, AA is my favorite band. Very nice cover song. ;)

Steck

Smash Journeyman
I think they are about equal

They are complete opposites lol- One is SO combo heavy and the other has so few. I really like them both and I find them both quite competitive.
Melee is a balance between the two. Some like melee more because of that. I don't. I like focusing on one aspect of play (combos in 64 and spacing/approach in brawl)- maybe that seems scrubish/ n00bish to some but trying to get that good combo and then messing up in the actual course of battle or thinking "how can I hit him" and then only getting in a few hits before getting pwned seems tedious to me (but I suck at melee)

Metà

Smash Master

Competitive depth...

Melee > 64 > brawl

I couldn't agree with you more, man. I go between 64 and Melee all the time, because they're both awesome games, and they're awesome in their own regards. I play 64 when I'm at school, and Melee when I'm at home smashing with some friends. Occasionally we take a break and play Brawl, but we always just lose our patience for it and go back to Melee. >_>

And yeah, SSB is pretty unbalanced in terms of offense/defence. What I've found is that Melee is simply the most balanced; maybe not in terms of characters, but in general high level gameplay. In SSB, the most aggressive players with the strongest offense would win, because of the few defensive options. In Brawl, the best camper (Snake lol) wins, and it's really hard to pressure your opponent. In Melee, a near-prefect balance was struck between offense and defense--push and pull. Some characters excelled at pressuring their opponents (ie: Falcon and Falco), others could play it safe and hold a strong defensive or evasive game (ie: Samus and Young Link), and some characters...well, they had everything, lol (ie: Fox and Marth).

It was because of this balance that, when played at a high level of competition, Melee evolved from a quick, fun, party game, to a deep and complex competitive fighter. There really weren't any strategies that couldn't be beaten, and nothing that really broke the game in any way. It didn't have a guaranteed zero-to-death combos that controlled SSB (not that it was a bad thing, lol), and it doesn't have the ******** camping (well, not nearly as bad) and infinites that Brawl does. Everyone had their own playstyle, and each character had many different strategies that they could employ.

I was about to write another paragraph about how much they f*cked up Brawl, but at this point, I don't even care. XD So, instead, I'll condense it to two words:

Brawl

SUCKS

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
Agreed with most people here. The only thing is: one thing that's fun about melee and ssb, is that you keep discovering new things even as a pro. Whether it's a technique, a combo or a strategy against a different player, you're never done with the game. So although I agree that Brawl has a lot of downsides: we should still give it more time, many things are to be discovered. I can't believe I'm saying this while Brawl isn't even out here yet lol.

Best101

Smash Ace
Agreed with most people here. The only thing is: one thing that's fun about melee and ssb, is that you keep discovering new things even as a pro. Whether it's a technique, a combo or a strategy against a different player, you're never done with the game. So although I agree that Brawl has a lot of downsides: we should still give it more time, many things are to be discovered. I can't believe I'm saying this while Brawl isn't even out here yet lol.
Play Brawl first then give your opinion

Superstar

Smash Champion
Played Brawl. More stuff than RAR and Mortar slide works for me, like FSmashing in the initial dash to increase Fox's FSmash range and then powershield for approaching, among a few other stuff, but its still not that good competitively. If the game had more hitstun then it'd work better in a competitive environment despite the buffed shield and all that crap. It was really the hitstun that killed it.

I have a wish to play SSB64 again. Sucks that I'm banned from all PC online games in my house.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
they should remake 64 for the wii....invent a compatiable 64 controller, have the EXACT same physics and programming, just improoved graphics and sound.

I enjoy all 3 games, Brawl appeals to me b/c of the graphics, but 64 is definitly still in my favs. It will never get boreing =)

Superstar

Smash Champion
I should've known you would ask such a stupid question Dylan. If you compare every aspect, Brawl is better than 64. The only two ways 64 is better is in stages and ease with combos.
This made me lol [not in a 'you are stupid way']. Normally in this board you'd get 64.

Of course, lack of combos are pretty much the main reason why Brawl sucks. Everything else is fine, you can get around camping if you are good enough, the overpowered shield/roll can be tolerated, ease of recovery is not that big a deal. However, if there were combos in Brawl you could punish the camping, punish the rolls, and people would die quicker. No combos kills Brawl, and gives 64 the advantage.

I know there are some combos, don't get me with that,. Fox's drill combos to almost every move in his repertoire for example and he also has shine to dash attack [sometimes] and nair to reverse utilt. However, they are all 1-2 hit except for the utilt semi-juggle and too easy to perform.

Tripping is one disadvantage Brawl has over 64, but I hate tripping more for the symbolism of casualfying the game rather than actually making me lose.

Jester, online too, but Kaillera = better for that.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
they should remake 64 for the wii....invent a compatiable 64 controller, have the EXACT same physics and programming, just improoved graphics and sound.

I enjoy all 3 games, Brawl appeals to me b/c of the graphics, but 64 is definitly still in my favs. It will never get boreing =)
Old graphics > New graphics.

infernovia

Smash Ace
I find 64 addicting in a way brawl never has been. The only thing is that 64 would be more fun with two new characters, but this is not really a complaint because all characters in the roster are fun to use.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
For me is melee > 64 > brawl being melee and 64 very close.

I like a LOT all the three games and i think all them can be played competitively, but melee and 64 are better than brawl.

Anyways, brawl can make his gameplay evolve as happened to melee. The time will say

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
Well, I may get rocks hucked at me, but my favorite so far is Brawl. If I wanted to go logical in what is "better" as it stands right now? In order I'd go like this.

Melee>Brawl>64

A good reason for Brawl being where it is on my views of what's good in my opinion is because, quite frankly, Brawl is a baby. 3 and a half months old. So a lot of people really should be nicer to it. Either that or don't bother and let the kid get adopted by others. And I see Brawl having a lot of room to grow. To each his own though, and I'll respect that. Even if 64 is on the bottom in my list, that doesn't make the game bad. In fact, all THREE kick so much serious @$$. I'm mesmerized by the instant death combos and frightened by them at the same time.

I'll never pursue 64 competitively though, and I've lost my touch in Melee because of my current devotion to Brawl's new style of gameplay. But that won't stop me from playing all three games. It's really, how long I can last against Superboom (lol XD) before he 5-stocks me. Tis' a fun game sometimes while I run like hell. *snerk*

wangston

Smash Lord
SSB 64 is a joke. Hit stun last way to **** long. There are so many 0 to death combos and you can't do much about it, your screwed once you get hit. How do you defend against Ness? He comes at you with a dair. You can't do anything, his hit box is huge it even hits with his head. If you try to shield grab you're screwed because you can't move when it hits your shield and ness grabs you. If ness lands the dair, you bounce off the ground, fly up a little, you get grabbed, he throws you off the edge, then dair for the KO. There isn't one **** thing you can do about that. 0-ko isn't fun. Also you get juggled like you are the other guys *****ed because the hit stun is a joke on this game.

JaimeHR

Smash Ace
SSB 64 is a joke. Hit stun last way to **** long. There are so many 0 to death combos and you can't do much about it, your screwed once you get hit. How do you defend against Ness? He comes at you with a dair. You can't do anything, his hit box is huge it even hits with his head. If you try to shield grab you're screwed because you can't move when it hits your shield and ness grabs you. If ness lands the dair, you bounce off the ground, fly up a little, you get grabbed, he throws you off the edge, then dair for the KO. There isn't one **** thing you can do about that. 0-ko isn't fun. Also you get juggled like you are the other guys *****ed because the hit stun is a joke on this game.
that's you, not the game.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I'm guessing this is a joke thread, it's too many joke threads in these forms about Brawl, (a game rated higher than SSB64 & SSBM).

Superstar

Smash Champion
Not a joke thread. Ratings don't take competitive value into account, which is one of the things people use to judge.

Also, wangston, please tell me you are joking. The hitstun is one of the greatest parts. If you are good enough you can do it back. But its more about less DI I believe than anything.

wangston

Smash Lord
Well with so much hit stun it just turns into he gets the first hit in because after the first hit, if you're good, you should kill the other person.

Superstar

Smash Champion
That's not just hitstun, that's lack of DI, but I hear there is still some.

About the 0-death, I assume that's why there are 5 stocks. But from what I've seen, not everything leads to a 0-death, they just have a good chance of happening. Of course, I suck so I can't perform them. However, I've never had a 0-death done on me or only a few times but out of memory. Usually its close, but not quite there. Those that get it close appear to be a VERY small percentage online though, those matches are always awesome even though I'm at the other end of a 5-stock. I really want to get back in.

I mean 0-death COMBO. I have been 0-deathed many times, but usually not by a straight running combo.

Top Bottom