• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash and Coffee - June 7th Winona Lake, IN

BIG C

Smash Master
Garbage Counterpicks:

Corneria - promotes camping and wall infinites.
Green Greens - promotes camping and wall infinites.
Bridge of Eldin - promotes camping and projectile spamming and walk off kills.
Onett - promotes camping and wall infinites and walk off kills.
Hanenbow - promotes camping and projectile spamming.

When I say camping I mean that the stage is so segmented that the approaching player is extremely disadvantaged when having to chase/approach the character at that portion of the stage. Or in Bridge of Eldin's case there is just too much stage to run to, and the slower, losing character will never catch up.

I favor a generally loose counterpick list, but these stages just lower the integrity of the tournament. Most of these stages if they get picked will involve a stupid tactic and 8 minutes of unhappy players/viewers.

On that note, I may bring myself and two others, I may just choose not to attend.
this posts sums up brawl and why I have decided to bring and play melee

Joshu

BRoomer
BRoomer
On that note, I may bring myself and two others, I may just choose not to attend.
And nothing of value was lost.

Joshu, I'm so excited for our MM, you have no idea. What stage? It needs to be ridiculous. And recorded.
I'm thinking Pirate Ship.
First because we could hear ourselves in the water and try to get back onto the stage. If it was a stage you could fall off of the match would be too short.
Second because the moment we hear cannonballs you know it's going to be awesome.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Garbage Counterpicks:

When I say camping I mean that the stage is so segmented that the approaching player is extremely disadvantaged when having to chase/approach the character at that portion of the stage. Or in Bridge of Eldin's case there is just too much stage to run to, and the slower, losing character will never catch up.

I favor a generally loose counterpick list, but these stages just lower the integrity of the tournament. Most of these stages if they get picked will involve a stupid tactic and 8 minutes of unhappy players/viewers.

Have you played Brawl? :p

You can't camp on Green Greens in this game... Only a few characters can camp on Bridge of Eldin... You can't camp or wall infinite on Onett (Oh, how I wish the Watty strat still worked)... and Hanenbow doesn't allow you to camp either. o_O

The wall infinite thing isn't much of an issue except on Corneria, and that's only because you have the choice of standing in front of the wall or standing in front of a very small blast zone... but still, just don't get infinited.

I wish you could camp on Corneria... that'd be pretty boss. My little brother plays me there EVERY DAY on his counterpick, and I can't camp with anyone except Snake. That's onl when I can lay two mines on the fin and then shoot nikita missiles... and he just blows up the proximity and waits for the nikita to come out and then jumps and air dodges through it anyway.

Now that I think about it... Hanenbow might have some good circle camping for a character like Pikachu. Anther should test that out for me ^_^

Note: I am taking the role of Goku in our money match, Tink.

Drephen, definitely go. Since Jiano left, we have no red haired players in the midwest.

Tink

Smash Hero
cool, then ill be majin vegeta son.

those stages are just mad wack either way you look at it. im sorry that some people like to camp the whole match <_<. not very entertaining to watch or play against heh.

Drephen

Smash Master
cool, then ill be majin vegeta son.

those stages are just mad wack either way you look at it. im sorry that some people like to camp the whole match <_<. not very entertaining to watch or play against heh.
yeahyuzzzzzz majin vegeta was the best character in DBZ

EDIT: wow overswarm, being happy and wishing for stages you can camp on

you a gay *****

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Garbage Counterpicks:

I have to disagree with a these for the most part. Those are fairly broad generalizations.

Corneria I can see. The wall allows for infinites, and it can be camped. I don't really think it's that easy to camp though. Especially with a ledge that can aid your approach at the top of the fin. Like Overswarm said, you either have to camp with your back to the wall, or close to the blast zone.

Green Greens isn't so bad for wall infinites. If you're fighting DDD or someone else with a wall infinite that won't break the blocks, break them yourself. I don't think you're that advantaged by camping the ledges either. You can always break the blocks then come in from the side if you feel it's too risky to go over the top.

Bridge is a little big. The fact that it's flat helps a lot though. If they're going to run the whole time they still have to get past you, and if you can't catch them doing so, I don't think it's as much a stage issue as it is a player being unable to get through a defense. It is risky crossing the gap for some characters, but it's not always there. If someone camps the edges they are at risk to get KO'd as much as you are, you just have to be careful of your approach. Walkoffs are going to occur mainly with Falco and Dedede chainthrows, both of which you have to have the opponent in between you and the edge, fairly close to the side and at low percent. Stay away or on the opposite side of them long enough to where you aren't at risk for a walkoff chain throw. Yoshi's Island is an issue because the edges are slanted and because of the smaller stage size it's easy to catch someone by the slope.

Onett you can't really wall "infinite" because of the cars. You can start an infinite, but it usually gets broken up pretty quick. Again, they have to be in between you and the edge for a walkoff kill, which is aided by the fact that there are walls.

Hanenbow doesn't really promote "camping" as much as it promotes a runaway game. And unless you are playing Sonic vs. Bowser or something that has a similar speed difference it isn't that difficult to catch up to them due to the fact that all the leaves are droppable ledges and you can move through them easily. You can run back and forth between the two trees or whatever the hell they are on both sides, but it's pretty easy to catch up to the opponent on either, and you can always pressure them into the middle as well.

kirkq

Smash Ace
Dude I'm probably going to get owned, i have experience against like 5/35 characters.

This is why we go to tournaments and practice.

At least I don't have a wall of down airs and shines to hide behind now right? :)

Spazmodik

Smash Rookie
Me and a couple of others are interested in this.

We've been looking for a tourny close by..

Just put me as questionable if you wish to.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Me and a couple of others are interested in this.

We've been looking for a tourny close by..

Just put me as questionable if you wish to.
You go or I will put your body in a refridgerator.

The tiny kind that office workers keep under their desk to hold their diet coke.

I don't even know this guy, I just want a big turnout.

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
w00t for threatening people you don't know in the name of claiming moar prize money!

On the topic of the tourney, I feel like Hanenbow could cause problems as a counterpick. I know it's been talked about alot. I'm almost enticed to say leave it so that we can gain knowledge as to its tournament legality. Are there any good videos online that could be used to make a case for it one way or the other?

Zjiin

Smash Master
Putting a bunch of ******** stages on is a good way to deter people from making the drive out to that tourney in the future.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Putting a bunch of ******** stages on is a good way to deter people from making the drive out to that tourney in the future.
Banning stages merely because you don't have any knowledge of the stage in tournament play is a good way to stifle the tournament scene.

Gotta live through the growing pains, even if it does mean doing a warlock kick into an exploding capsule or Overswarm running away and lasering you on Hanenbow all day.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Banning stages merely because you don't have any knowledge of the stage in tournament play is a good way to stifle the tournament scene.

Gotta live through the growing pains, even if it does mean doing a warlock kick into an exploding capsule or Overswarm running away and lasering you on Hanenbow all day.
That's fine, just don't expect people to drive 2+ hours to play on Hanenbow.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Because I'm sure that's what it'll boil down to :p
I'm just saying that yeah, you can spend all this time testing out levels that require more environmental knowledge than actual character knowledge (for some ungodly reason) but a lot more tournaments are popping up every weekend that conflict. (I.e. The 7th of June alone is locally a four tournament weekend) If you and small group of people should agree that norfair should be on neutral or the new IC stage is a good CP etc etc, it's just as easy to attend another tourney that has more agreeable stage lists.

I'm glad you are having fun struggling to find usefulness in ridiculous levels, but you seem to be one of the only ones who are justifying this junk. (Aside from online noob tourneys) I somehow doubt you are one of the few geniuses who are "seeing the truth." Just play the game as neutral as we can make it, and maybe you'll get better at your character, instead of getting better at situations.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm just saying that yeah, you can spend all this time testing out levels that require more environmental knowledge than actual character knowledge (for some ungodly reason) but a lot more tournaments are popping up every weekend that conflict. (I.e. The 7th of June alone is locally a four tournament weekend) If you and small group of people should agree that norfair should be on neutral or the new IC stage is a good CP etc etc, it's just as easy to attend another tourney that has more agreeable stage lists.

I'm glad you are having fun struggling to find usefulness in ridiculous levels, but you seem to be one of the only ones who are justifying this junk. (Aside from online noob tourneys) I somehow doubt you are one of the few geniuses who are "seeing the truth." Just play the game as neutral as we can make it, and maybe you'll get better at your character, instead of getting better at situations.
Just because you and your friends want to play on flat stages with platforms doesn't make it more fair, nor does it mean that other people want to as well. I have a pretty good vantage point from where I am, I know where the game is heading :p

I'd drive 9 hours to play Overswarm's ROB on Hanenbow.
*high five*

Zjiin

Smash Master
Just because you and your friends want to play on flat stages with platforms doesn't make it more fair, nor does it mean that other people want to as well. I have a pretty good vantage point from where I am, I know where the game is heading :p
If you can't understand how a stage like Battlefield or Smashville are more fair than Bridge or Onett, then i'm obviously wasting my time and finger energy.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you can't understand how a stage like Battlefield or Smashville are more fair than Bridge or Onett, then i'm obviously wasting my time and finger energy.
Fair for whom? Snake?

The tier list for Melee was determined by two things. Character attributes and the neutral stage list. Marth got a boost because all of the neutral stages were his best stages. The same would happen if we played only battlefield/fd/smashville again.

"Fair" is a relative term. The starter stages shouldn't be very disruptive and should be playable by as many of the cast as possible. If battlefield does it, it can be a starter. If Halberd does it, it can be a starter.

Onett and Bridge wouldn't make very good starters... but they fit the counterpick bill nicely.

Rat

Smash Lord
I might be able to come to this. (This looks cooler than the cave.) Could I get a ride with anyone coming from Chicagoland? I will pitch in for gas money. (I live in like Oak Lawn.)

BIG C

Smash Master
I might be able to come to this. (This looks cooler than the cave.) Could I get a ride with anyone coming from Chicagoland? I will pitch in for gas money. (I live in like Oak Lawn.)
someone give this man a ride. also if you can get to the east chicago south shore train station you could more than likely hitch a ride in the party car with me and tinkles. ask zjiin how to ride the trains cuz i have no clue.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
Make sure you get off at the EAST CHICAGO station. Don't let that HAMMOND station fool you. You'll end up cold and alone struggling to get a wi-fi signal so that you can post on Smashboards that you're stranded.

:p

BIG C

Smash Master
Make sure you get off at the EAST CHICAGO station. Don't let that HAMMOND station fool you. You'll end up cold and alone struggling to get a wi-fi signal so that you can post on Smashboards that you're stranded.

:p
rofl u better be at this jekyll i wanna see some luigi trixies in brawl.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I find it humorous that most of the old bad characters in melee that became better lost all their old mains.

Except G&W. He's too good to leave behind, it seems.

Sliq

Smash Master
I find it humorous that most of the old bad characters in melee that became better lost all their old mains.

Except G&W. He's too good to leave behind, it seems.
Like who?

I can't think of many Melee characters that got better outside Kirby, but I mean, come on, Kirby was awful.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
Jek tried to play Luigi. Luigi just lost a lot of approaches and maneuverability due to lack of wavedashing. That was what made Luigi appealing to Jek in the first place, or at least that was what he told me anyway. I have to admit though, Lucario vs Luigi was an interesting match.

I haven't gotten the chance to play Jek's Dorf yet. The only Dorf I have played is Sliq's.

Top Bottom