• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Mmac

Smash Lord
Just how underplayed is Pit?

And I dunno about you guys, but I've never thought it was particularly hard for Pit to land kill moves. His Smashes come out fast and are fairly hard to punish.
He used to be overplayed to hell, just like Ike, but has fallen significantly over the months. However what I don't know is that if they counted those Months.

And Pit does have problems killing. His smashes are good, but they don't kill until 120%, and that if they're fresh

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
Pit's back air can kill at 100% but it's difficult to land unless the opponent is in the air. And it needs to be hit during the first few frames or else it won't be that good.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I think it's pit.

At's, edgeguarding, getting gimped, hard to KO, i know he can deal with D3, not sure about snake though. All signs seem to point to him. The only good pit i've played wasn't annoying though... (then again, i was using G&W, you can't exactly spam arrows against him...)

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
The Captain himself, Olimar.
I might go with Olimar too except for the whole "underrated and underplayed" thing. As far as I know, Olimar is relatively popular and everyone has the understanding that if it wasn't for his terribly gimptastic recovery, he would be much higher tier-wise.

As far as any other guesses, I have no idea. I definitely don't think it's Pit btw. Underrated and underplayed? Yeah right, between the number of young kids who are like "OMGZ PIT HAZ A TOP TIER" and the good players who can actually do stuff with Pit, I don't think that he could be considered underrated.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I might go with Olimar too except for the whole "underrated and underplayed" thing. As far as I know, Olimar is relatively popular and everyone has the understanding that if it wasn't for his terribly gimptastic recovery, he would be much higher tier-wise.

As far as any other guesses, I have no idea. I definitely don't think it's Pit btw. Underrated and underplayed? Yeah right, between the number of young kids who are like "OMGZ PIT HAZ A TOP TIER" and the good players who can actually do stuff with Pit, I don't think that he could be considered underrated.
I dunno what region you're in but in MD/VA Oli is very rare at high level. He definitely counters DDD and I dunno about Snake. He's very gimmicky, and underrated based entirely on his recovery (which actually isn't that bad if you know how to work around it and force people off the ledge). The only part of the hint that makes me unsure is the part about not being able to get KOs, as a good Oli has no trouble KOing.

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
It's Lucas for sure, lots of "gimmicky" ATs, "can be annoying to fight" cause of PKF, " can destroy some characters recovery" with PKT used correctly, hard to get the KO, and underused. Too easy with the "gimmicky" ATs hint.
everyone says Pit but I bet you it's Lucas.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Sounds like Pit. Gimmicky AT's; loop arrow and arrow rain. Easily gimped recovery; tap him in blue wings and he falls to his doom. Arrows give high edgeguarding capabilities and allows for projectile walling better than Snake.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
It's not Yoshi.

Update #21: ?????

8/26/08
Severely underplayed and underrated(That could go for Yoshi, I guess), this character can prove to be one of the more annoying characters to fight against(True). With some interesting strategies that can possibly even counter characters like D3 and Snake(This is where it starts getting wrong. Snake and Dedede are two of Yoshi's disadvantages, and there is no universe in which he can counter them in this stage of the game.), and an edgeguarding game that can destroy quite a few characters(Yoshi's edgeguarding is slightly above average, probably not worth mentioning in a hint though.), people may be missing out by overlooking this character. However, it may be that only those with patience will be able to handle this character well, as getting the KO can sometimes prove to be an arduous process(True). And with a recovery that can be stopped quite easily(See this sentence? Yoshi is not a gimpable character, period. His double jump covers a good distance and, besides the whole super armor thing, he can airdodge at the beginning to allow him to slide the distance of his entire DJ while retaining invincibility frames. Not to mention that you can get an egg toss boost BEFORE you use your double jump.), this character has a few holes that keep the character from being too powerful. Although the character has impressive, yet gimmicky, ATs to add to the character's game, it seems that this character is overall quite solid but not quite outstanding.
It can't be Yoshi if that part of the hint is just blatantly wrong.

The Star King

Smash Hero
i was thiniking jiggz, but pits sounds like a better choice, it's way more annoying
Jiggs has like, one of the best recoveries in the game. It's not easily stopped.

M2 broke my 4 correct guess streak! Nooo!

My choices:
1.Lucas
2.Yoshi
3.Pit, though I wouldn't say he is underplayed.

A lot of gimmicky AT's really does sound like Lucas.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Severely underplayed and underrated, this character can prove to be one of the more annoying characters to fight against. With some interesting strategies that can possibly even counter characters like D3 and Snake, and an edgeguarding game that can destroy quite a few characters, people may be missing out by overlooking this character. However, it may be that only those with patience will be able to handle this character well, as getting the KO can sometimes prove to be an arduous process. And with a recovery that can be stopped quite easily, this character has a few holes that keep the character from being too powerful. Although the character has impressive, yet gimmicky, ATs to add to the character's game, it seems that this character is overall quite solid but not quite outstanding

Hmm, well first lets see who's left

IC's
Yoshi
Pit
DK
Peach
Ness
Lucas
Mario
Luigi
Sheik
PT
Zero Suit Samus
Fox
Wario
Ike
Olimar
Jigglypuff
Sonic(Wow, theres still alot left >.>)
Ok, now who might have a good matchup with D3 and Snake

IC's
Pit
Ness
Lucas
Wario
Zamus
Fox
Olimar
Sonic?
{Mario, Luigi and DK get infinite grabbed, Jiggs, Peach and Sheik get owned by both of them, Yoshi also is at a DA}

Who's underplayed (and has a decent edguarding game)

IC's
Ness
Lucas
Fox
Zamus
Sonic?
And maybe Pit....
{Oli is played alot, and Wario has not shortages either}

Who cant KO easily

Ness & Lucas(Questionable)
Zamus
Pit?
Fox(Another questionable one...)
Sonic
{IC's, grab can equal KO, and theyre very powerful, Ness, Lucas, Pit and Fox can KO easily,but with hard to hit moves i guess}

Gimpable recovery

Ness
Pit
Zamus
{Lucas has lotsa options, Sonic does too,and Fox recovers quick}

Gimmicky AT's

Ness
Pit(Still questionable placement....)
{ZSS has no AT's i know of}

NxC

Smash Apprentice
Ok, NOW if it isn't Pit, I will eat my jacket... unless the hint randomly changes again.

Pit is rather underplayed when it comes to the competitive scene, and all of the other statements are very, very true.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
There's no way it's Lucas. The gimmicky AT thing fits him, but it's definitely not difficult to get a KO.

It also can't be Jiggs. Does she even have any ATs, honestly?

Yoshi, what kiwikomix said. There's no way his recovery can be considered easily gimpable by anyone.

It has to be Pit. He can keep characters like Snake and DDD (big, slow characters) at bay with Arrow spam. Good Pits are very annoying to fight. His ATs, like arrow looping and wingdashing, are all very cool, but ultimately fairly gimmicky. It's hard to get a KO. He can edgeguard the crap out of some characters, but so much as touch him during his UpB and he's gone. Has to be Pit.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Aah, hmm, is Pit really underplayed and underrated? I thought he was overrated...

Top Bottom