• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

XACE-K

Smash Master
"Lost all doubt" means "there is no doubt" which means "there definitely is" (at least in the character's opinion) a chemical romance. Chemical romance apparently means drug habit, so it seems the character may be addicted to drugs, or medicine of some kind.
That part is definetly either Mario or Sonic.

Mario=mushrooms
Sonic=nuff said

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I tried to separate myself from this situation.
I can't seem to get out of my own head. I'm trapped inside myself.
I have lost all of my doubts while being in a chemical romance.
****. This is why I hate analyzing poetry. There's always so many possibilities for the meaning of one line, that the bigger picture can sometimes be two completely different things, depending on how you analyze them. I suppose that's a good thing, but in situations like this, it sucks major balls.

The first two seem quite possible as alternative/additional meanings (the second may have been the one that I forgot o_O) but the 3rd one...I'm not too sure. :/ It can go either way, but it changes the hint drastically.

EDIT: I think we should listen to the songs that the lyrics come from. Based on how the words are sung, we may be able to get a better handle on their meaning. I'll find them and put up a list.

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
I am going to say PT.

Pokemon series "therapeutic chain of events" (becoming the best)
He's overall not good at fighting
"We" refers to more then one character.
"chemical romance" doesn't really relate.
"washing hands" = no real relevance
Doors and stuff means probably that all his potential hasn't been reached yet.

I say a 4 out of 6 on the amount that are relevant warrants PT as a good early guess.

/10 PTs

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
i think its PT, the "we" part, the fact he uses "drugs" or posiond on his pokemon, he doesnt fight("im not of the fighting class), hes potential is untapped, everything makes sense!!!

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord

Tenki

Smash Hero
Devil's advocate.

Let the conspiracy theories begin!

Conspiracy #1

Songs titles:

Camisado - A surprise attack while enemies are asleep
A Bad Dream - Nightmare.
Rooftops - rooftops at night are nice. [aka, I don't know how to twist this into anything]
Take it away - Regain, take back
The Freshmen - Noobs
Shadow on the Sun - Sunspot?

What is with all these sleep references?
hm...

Conspiracy #2

Red = Samurai
Blue = Tenki

This was a therapeutic chain of events......This is the scent of dead skin on a linoleum floor
Guess I’m not the fighting kind......I was fighting but I just feel too tired to be fighting
Will we make a mark,this time......Will we always say we tried?
And I’ve lost all doubt in a chemical romance......I can't stop itching at the thoughts of tarnished hope
We tried to wash our hands of all of this......We never talk of our lack in relationships
Doors inside my head, bolted from within... ...every drop of flame lights a candle in memory of the one who lived inside my skin

Assuming the ellipses mean something, I pieced them together.

Reading these lyrics, I keep thinking
"Dead metagame"
"No hope"

and

"I fight for my friends"

Have fun! :bee:

I actually have 3 character guesses in light of this, and one of them is not one I want.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Uhh, what part of chemical romance automatically makes you think of drugs? I can see why it can be an instant link to PT (uses potions and stat ups on Pokemon to make them better, but you can't exceed a certain amount)

FBM

Smash Apprentice
Ok, having played Earthbound several times through, the song lines sound STRONGLY like the game.

Here's my examination: (the lines would be read by Ness)

This was a therapeutic chain of events...

That's the story of Earthbound in a nutshell: the main characters all grow and overcome their own psychological conflicts, many evil characters get reformed, towns are rid of ghosts, mines are rid of giant moles and in the end, it is prayer (a therapeutic process) that rids the world of it's chaotic enemy (who is a being that is almost in a tortured state).

Guess I’m not the fighting kind...

Ness is NOT the fighting kind. He's a kid! He's adventurous, sure, but he's not a warrior.

...Will we always say we tried?

This ties into the previous line a little, as Ness and his friends are forced to sort of reluctantly accept the mantle of Earth's champions. And the overall them of the game has a lot to do with self-doubt, self-discovery, and fighting in the face of overwhelming odds.

And I’ve lost all doubt in a chemical romance...

In Saturn Valley, Ness drinks some strong-a** tea that begins a monologue by the Mr. Saturns (accompanied by trippy music and LSD-like visuals - the narcotic implications are strong) about how Ness and his friends are destined to do what they are doing and must remain strong - ie. it removes their doubt!

We tried to wash our hands of all of this...

I assuming this refers to the denouement of game, wherein the typical RPG ending of going back to each character's home and tying up all the loose ends occurs BUT the very last scene of the game has a letter from Pokey (Ness' kid neighbour, rival, and accomplice to the last boss) that taunts him with the usual "I'll get you next time!" So Ness TRIED to wash his hands of his adventure, but it didn't quite work b/c Pokey is still out there!

Doors inside my head, bolted from within..

Ness' journey into Magicent Land is the climax of his internal conflict where he is trapped in his own mind until he battles his way out, releasing his ultimate powers. Magicent is the locked space that is "bolted from within" - it is the source of all his untapped potential that he has only seen into up until that point in the game.

And finally, Ness is a

(using the band names)

Panic! At The Disco
Keane
Lost Prophets
Used
Verve Pipe
Audioslave

(he loves PK spells!)

So it's either Ness or I just BS'd that really hard.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Panic! At The Disco
Keane
Lost Prophets
Used
Verve Pipe
Audioslave

(he loves PK spells!)

So it's either Ness or I just BS'd that really hard.
Awe, I left out the names of the bands. I was thinking of doing something like this (list names of artists/see if there's a pattern), but I got caught up with lyrics.

lol, it's okay, we both BS'd really hard.

But your BS is more solid than mine.

edit:
Oh actually,
Songs titles:

Camisado - A surprise attack while enemies are asleep
A Bad Dream - Nightmare.
Rooftops - rooftops at night are nice. [aka, I don't know how to twist this into anything]
Take it away - Regain, take back
The Freshmen - Noobs
Shadow on the Sun - Sunspot?

hm...
CARTTS!

MARIO KARTS!

lolsillies.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think its Ike as well. He fights for his friends but loses. Doors bolted in his head means his Metagame has been reached a long time ago

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Each line is a reference to a song.

This was a therapeutic chain of events...- "Camisado", by Panic at the Disco
Guess I’m not the fighting kind...- "A Bad Dream", by Keane
...Will we always say we tried?- "4 Rooftops", by the Lost Prophets
And I’ve lost all doubt in a chemical romance... "Take it away", by The Used
We tried to wash our hands of all of this... "The Freshman", by The Verve
Doors inside my head, bolted from within...- "Shadow on the Sun", by Audioslave

Edit: CRUD. Someone beat me to it.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Let the conspiracy theories begin!

Conspiracy #1

hm...

Guess I’m not the fighting kind......I was fighting but I just feel too tired to be fighting
Pokemon trainer. Stamina.
As for sleep and nightmares? Luigi final smash. (also emo, also trapped in his head, also not a fighter.)

Uhh, what part of chemical romance automatically makes you think of drugs? I can see why it can be an instant link to PT (uses potions and stat ups on Pokemon to make them better, but you can't exceed a certain amount)
I looked it up, and common usage of the phrase "chemical romance" seems to be a euphemism for a drug habit.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_chemical_romance

as for the hint? There are too many drugs for it not to be dr mario.

It's way too emo and obviously earthbound for it not to be Lucas.

Therefore I guess luigi. And I think I might just bow out until they give us more to use.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
lolsillies
We've gone all through that in this thread before. :laugh:

I'm now 99% sure that my previous post was a complete waste and we need to look at those god darn dots. The lyrics before and after them is the real hint, as many other people have posted. It wouldn't make sense to put dots like that (especially when one is before while all the others are after) unless it was a mindgame.

So I guess I have to redo my lyrics analysis.

:mad:

EDIT: Oh, and the Earthbound reasoning is win. Though doubtful. :(

FBM

Smash Apprentice
It's way too emo and obviously earthbound for it not to be Lucas.
It's obviously Earthbound, but it's obviously Ness! I'm convinced now. Unless there is some crazy anagram **** with the 18th letter of every song or something, then I don't see how this couldn't be Ness!

Read my post people!!

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero

GASP! IT'S JIGGLYPUFF!

Ok, having played Earthbound several times through, the song lines sound STRONGLY like the game.
Neat theory but Panda didn't play much of EarthBound IIRC. So if HE made the hint it's very unlikely he based it off of that. Ness' and Lucas hints will/do have more to do with how they are in Brawl.

Then again with Wiki who knows. Why the hell would he know all that emo music anyway?

I'll wait to come up with a theory untill I think about it some more.

Chaco

Never Logs In
if you guys keep spamming ******** nonsense this thread i'm going to warn everyone and then this thread will be closed by yours truly

please chill out and stop +1ing your post counts for no reason.
Sorry Gimpy. I'm killing everything. You won't hear anymore Magikarp related things at all. Deleting the club in a few.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
Neat theory but Panda didn't play much of EarthBound IIRC. So if HE made the hint it's very unlikely he based it off of that. Ness' and Lucas hints will/do have more to do with how they are in Brawl.

Then again with Wiki who knows. Why the hell would he know all that emo music anyway?
Blah, you're probably right. I just checked the Wiki page and it's a skeleton of the story w/o the kind of detail that would help you think up those hints. Rats.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Ness, at the end of earthbound, he transferred his brain into a robot in order to time travel to fight Giygas. That's why doors are bolted inside his head XD.

I'd say the rest of FBM's theory is pretty solid though.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
Ness, at the end of earthbound, he transferred his brain into a robot in order to time travel to fight Giygas. That's why doors are bolted inside his head XD.

I'd say the rest of FBM's theory is pretty solid though.
I was thinking of that part regarding the "chemical romance" line before I remember the trip-out-tea bit. Good call on the bolting though lol.

The PKLUVA thing is WAY too much of a stretch but that's my favorite theory so far.
Someone brought that up earlier and I was like "ZOMGITSLUCAS"

It sticks with me just b/c you get to name your main Psi attack in Earthbound at the start, by answering "what is your favourite thing" - "Love" is one of the defaults they give you (so you get to use PSI Love for the rest of the game.. lol).

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
This is the scent of dead skin on a linoleum floor
I'll get back to this. >_>

I was fighting but I just feel too tired to be fighting
In reference to tournaments, this could mean that this character was frequently placing, not necessarily well, but a lot. Or that they were placing somewhat, but now the character never places at all. Could also be a reference to the character's history in their games, if they decided to stop fighting.

Will we make a mark, this time
Could mean make a mark on the tournament scene, and combined with the previous line, means that the character is starting to gain use in tournaments after previously placing lowly/non-existantly. Can indicate potential.

I can't stop itching at the thoughts of tarnished hope
The character had some sort of tech or potential use, but that is now ruined either by the fact that it doesn't work properly/as it was intended, or it is not as useful as was thought. May also mean that the character seemed to have lots of potential ("hope") but was later found out it doesn't (which would definitely mean its Ike. Maybe)

We never talk of our lacking relationships
No one talks about this character's...lacking relationships? This is probably about the character's background, not their Brawl counterpart.

Every drop of flame lights a candle in memory of the one who lived inside my skin
I LOVE THIS LINE. This line is the thing that will tell us who the character is! The line means that the character has an "alter-ego" of sorts that used to live in his body. In other words, it is the past version of this character. In other other words, most likely, this character was in Melee! "Every drop of flame lights a candle in memory" indicates that the previous skin inhabitor was praised for whatever reason.

In other words, its Mario, Fox, Peach, or Jiggly, focusing only on the last line. It can't be Luigi or Ness because neither of them had incredibly significant changes made to them from Melee. It CAN be Mario because it could be a reference to Dr. Mario, who people always whine about for not being in Brawl (and thus praise him). Fox Peach and Jiggs were all nerfed from Melee, and thus, they are inhabiting the skin of their once glorious alter-egos.

I'll narrow this down even further in a bit.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Based on Sir Bedevere analysis, I say it's Peach.

Alright, let's start to analyze these lyrics with logic:

Therapeutic means healing or soothing (though according to a google edfinition search, it means treating a disease), and chain of events probably means exactly what is said, a chain of events, a storyline. So, the first line means something along the line of a story about helping something or someone get better.
Dsmash nerf. They totally fixed this move for Brawl. No more Dsmash suffering from Peach to others.

Can mean that the person (most likely the character the hint is referring to) is not good at fighting, does not like fighting, or does not fight often.
Peach. Nuff said. She's not the fighting type.

"Will" seems to imply that there might be doubts about them saying that they tried. In other words, the character might not really be trying their hardest, for whatever reason and for whatever subject. Also...we? That either means Panda could not find lyrics that used only I, or that the character is more than one charcter in one.
Peach players are trying hard to get to the top with her without the strats she had in Melee. It isn't as easy as before.

"Lost all doubt" means "there is no doubt" which means "there definitely is" (at least in the character's opinion) a chemical romance. Chemical romance apparently means drug habit, so it seems the character may be addicted to drugs, or medicine of some kind.
Addicted to help the other? Or...Peach was addicted to Dsmash, now she's not.

"Washing our hands" is a metaphor for "forgetting", so they tried to forget about something, whatever that something may be. This isn't too clear. :/
Forgetting how Melee Peach was played, learning a new fighting style.

Doors inside my head, bolted from within...
This can mean that the person is stupid (the knowledge is locked away from them) they have memories that they can't remember, or...something else I was going to say. >_> Darn it,it would have been a nice trifecta of reasons...
"Memories they can't remember": the nerfs.
"The person is stupid": she is blond.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Ness can't DJC. THAT'S not a significant change?......
But he wasn't all that "glorious" is Melee either. <_> I suppose I should have put difference in tier list placement. Luigi went from Mid to Mid...no change there. And Ness went from Bottom to Low, which is an improvement.

While Fox went to top to Mid, Peach from High to Mid, and Jiggs from Mid to Low. I suppose Jiggs isn't that relevent, though. :/

Ignore, Jiggs went from High to Low.

emb1234

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon Trainer

Doors inside my head, bolted from within...
I dunno, just a guess.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Oh dear, its probably not Olimar at least...

unless its refering to Ai no Uta, but still, I think we can cross him off. Where is the remaining charcter pic?

Top Bottom