• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

jber4life

Smash Apprentice
Ok,

So I really, really think we need to step away from this hint for awhile.

The SBR is not going to give a hint that can simply be found thru de-coding. Taking the name's of the songs and anagraming the first letters of the titles together is something everybody can do, it takes 2 minutes of work on the internet, if they wanted us to know the name and band they would have told us in the original hint.

Now there has to be a reason that panda chose these six lines and place them into a poem.

Now we all need to remeber highschool poetry.

This hint can be one of two things.

1) It can be describing a character.
OR
2) The character can be the speaker of the poem.

Personally i believe it is the second reason because all the lines are said from the first perspective.

Now, i am going to guess Luigi.

Luigi could easily have written this poem.

This was a therapeutic chain of events...
Guess I’m not the fighting kind...
...Will we always say we tried?
And I’ve lost all doubt in a chemical romance...
We tried to wash our hands of all of this...
Doors inside my head, bolted from within...

So if we look at the poem as a whole, and not try to analyze it line for line.
The poem is obviously depressing, and seems to be about a character who is having mental troubles and is upset.

Its something to think about, but personally, bet Luigi.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
This hint can be one of two things.

1) It can be describing a character.
The player can be the speaker of the poem.

OR
2) The character can be the speaker of the poem.
I like your thinking, but I editted a detail I disagreed with. There must be a speaker of some sort - without a speaker, who is saying the poem?

EDIT: A path of bread crumbs down the yellow brick road to the stairway to heaven...

Seems like a series of if/then statements are implied. I'll need to sleep on it.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I can't believe it took me so long...

This is a description of Super Mario Sunshine!

This week's character is Mario!

chemical romance - the sludge and the beauty of Isle Delfino, bolted from within - FLUDD reference - it's head is two bolts. Wash my hands of this - sunshine. Therapeutic - for Delfino Isle, it is! It even explains all the "I" and "we" usage.

This weeks character is Mario!

Vulcan55

Smash Lord

chemical romance - the sludge and the beauty of Isle Delfino, bolted from within - FLUDD reference - it's head is two bolts. Wash my hands of this - sunshine. Therapeutic - for Delfino Isle, it is! It even explains all the "I" and "we" usage.

o______________O
omgwow

JLynn943

Smash Ace

sounds good, but what about "Guess I'm not the fighting type" and the other lines?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's like...

You guys are looking for a needle in a haystack.

But the needle is in the house under your bed.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
People in the BRoom COULD have helped him come up with the hint but history is telling us so far that he does it by himself for the most part.
For the most part, I've created every hint by myself. If not, I'll usually credit the person either in the hint itself (like when Youko or OS did the hint for the week), or in the thread that gets moved.

As for subtle "additional" hints, look for people with purple or red names. There are only 2 reasons you'll see their posts: 1. They feel like leaving a comment or 2. They want to help steer you guys in the right direction. It is up to you to decide when they are helping and when they are simply playing with you. Whenever more intervention is needed, I'll update the hint itself.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
I think what they're saying is that we should stop the line by line forcing of the hint to fit with a character

We need to look at it another way

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
*is actually going to try*
=)
*thinks*
Peach.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Wow, the back room has given us a lot of hints already! Well I've decoded at least part of the message. Look at these hints from Overswarm and Hylian:

Overswarm: "Follow the bread crumbs."
Overswarm: "I find it hilarious that we give you guys the moon and you look at it with a microscope."
Hylian: "Follow the yellow brick road... And you will find the stairway to heaven."
Hylian: "You guys are looking for a needle in a haystack. But the needle is in the house under your bed."

They're using metaphors to describe what they really mean.

Now look at SP's "poem"; each line is a quote from an emo song, sure. But if you look at the last three lines, they're clearly each a metaphor:

And I've lost all doubt in a chemical romance...: As many here have learned, "chemical romance" is a euphemism for a drug addiction.
We tried to wash our hands of all of this...: "washing one's hands" is a metaphor for absolving one's self of blame or responsibility.
Doors inside my head, bolted from within...: Obviously a metaphor, I'd suppose that he's closing his own mind, as in trying not to think of something I guess. Or maybe he's just saying he's dumb or ignorant.

In any case, where does this take us? It's possible that we'll be lead to Peach; cuz this reminds me of her dumb final smash where you get to eat Peaches. Lawl... but that's not a metaphor, just a double-entendre.

I'll put this out there for now, let's see if someone else can follow it up to the answer :)

OWAIT! LOL maybe it's Sonic! cuz he's named Sonic because he can reach supersonic speeds. Super Sonic -- get it!? (lol I never even realized that joke until now, haha! gg Sega)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Woot =D

I didn't have many reasons but yay.
Hylians needle-haystack thing made be think it was Peach because people were saying Mario.No need to go into explanation on that really. Just think a lil. ^_^
therapeutic means like healing or whatever and thats what Peaches final smash does.
and Peach isn't a fighter.
Peach is optimistic.
Peach is a girl who likes having clean hands. (hence gloves)
Peach for #26! =P

Yay for Sasuke's stupid reasons.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master

You know, it was kinda weird how Hylian AND Samurai immediately commented after this answer. I don't think we should abandon it until we have a better answer than "recited by FLUDD, and clearly hints at Super Mario Sunshine." Besides, the Mario fandom didn't start until my post last page.

I'm sticking with Mario. At least until someone has a more logical explanation.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
You know, it was kinda weird how Hylian AND Samurai immediately commented after this answer. I don't think we should abandon it until we have a better answer than "recited by FLUDD, and clearly hints at Super Mario Sunshine." Besides, the Mario fandom didn't start until my post last page.

I'm sticking with Mario. At least until someone has a more logical explanation.
This is the exact same thing OS did after Infzy got the IC hint. thats why i think yours is right (or in the right ball park)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
There is a small town of a few hundred inhabitants of which the following statements are surprisingly true:

Every man is a perfect logician and is aware that this is true of every other man in the town.
Every man in the town knows all about the behavior of every woman in the town, with the exception, if he is married, of his own wife. It is taboo for anyone to speak about a woman to her husband.
It is an immutable custom (abhorrent to us maybe, but as inevitable as night following day to them) that, when a man discovers that his wife has been unfaithful, he takes her out into the town square that same night, and on the stroke of midnight shoots her.
There are 40 unfaithful wives in town.

Now, life has been continuing its uneventful course for some time when, one fateful summer's day, June 1st actually, the Mayor summons all the townsmen to a meeting in the town hall. 'I am very sorry to have to tell you this,' he says, 'but there is an unfaithful wife in this town.' The meeting ends and the men disperse.

What, if anything, happens, and when?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Riddle 1: The third one is a Glurph, because reguardless of race, the first one would say he was a glurph.

EDIT: Why did you take riddle one down?

And it's a bit late for riddle 2. However, technically midnight of the same day is hours before the meeting began. So nothing would happen, I suppose.

EDIT AGAIN: if this is wrong, I'll look into it again in the morning. But it seems unlikely that any of them would know if their own wife was faithful or not.

Final Edit: Hold on a sec, the mayor is only allowed to talk about his own wife with all the husbands there. He shoots his wife at midnight.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Riddle 1: The third one is a Glurph, because reguardless of race, the first one would say he was a glurph.

EDIT: Why did you take riddle one down?

And it's a bit late for riddle 2. However, technically midnight of the same day is hours before the meeting began. So nothing would happen, I suppose.

EDIT AGAIN: if this is wrong, I'll look into it again in the morning. But it seems unlikely that any of them would know if their own wife was faithful or not.

Final Edit: Hold on a sec, the mayor is only allowed to talk about his own wife with all the husbands there. He shoots his wife at midnight.
All wrong.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I was wrong about the song, the last quote is from the audioslave song Shadow on the Sun, not exploder

so first lines from ?
second lines from A Bad Dream by Keane lyrics here http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/A-Bad-Dream-lyrics-Keane/5321DC3ADC9BDC844825718700453EAB
Third line Rooftops by lost prophets lyrics here http://www.elyrics.net/read/l/lostprophets-lyrics/rooftops-lyrics.html
4th line take it away by the used lyrics here http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Take-It-Away-lyrics-The-Used/EDE866C9299194A848256EFA0008D19D
5th line Pipe the freshmen by the verve lyrics here http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric....e-Verve-Pipe/E3835230432A9B0B4825691500004AE7
6th line Shadow on the sun by audioslave lyrics here http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric....s-Audioslave/FDA8D095F709D15148256C6A000A2D50

if anyone wants to get the first one and look through the lyrics for a clue, go ahead, I'm way to lazy to do that much work

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Hey, I got a great solution.

Wait till next week.

Then the answer will come to us. It's so simple!!

I win. In the meantime, I'll watch the majority of the people here fail at getting the right answers.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Well then, if it is taboo to speak about a woman to her husband, then the mayor can't speak about any of the husbands wives to their husbands, with the exception of his own. Meanwhile, they all know the behavior of all the other women except their own wives, but the mayor in this case is only speaking of his own wife. - I'll finish this thought later.

EDIT: swap is for was, and it would mean the mayor shot his wife the night before. Ah well...

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
June 1st is in Summer?

Maybe I'm confused. P=

I don't think it is.

It's a trap? =)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
No, there was another riddle which Hylian took down when I figured it out in like five minutes. This is probably a real riddle. Can't be completely sure though.
Umm but June 1st isn't part of summer. The 20th is the first day (here at least, other places its later).
It just doesn't make scene to me. Like hes just going with it.
I still don't get it sorry. =P

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
the answer to the riddle is, nothing happens, they all know that anywhere from 39 to 40 (since they might have an unfaithful wife) are unfaithful, but cannot tell the husbands, so the husbands do not know about the unfaithful woman.

it's a misleading hint, sure, its a riddle, but it doesn't have any clues

it would be like me saying "a car with no engine pulls up to a hotel and a dog takes all his money, what happened?" its just a riddle, no hint, its just to get you to think in the right way

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
the answer to the riddle is, nothing happens, they all know that anywhere from 39 to 40 (since they might have an unfaithful wife) are unfaithful, but cannot tell the husbands, so the husbands do not know about the unfaithful woman.

it would be like me saying "a car with no engine pulls up to a hotel and a dog takes all his money, what happened?" its just a riddle, no hint, its just to get you to think in the right way
However, it is taboo for the mayor to talk about anyone's wife to their husband other than his own. The key is that since all the men are at the meeting, the only person's wife he could be talking about is his own.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
There is a small town of a few hundred inhabitants of which the following statements are surprisingly true:

Every man is a perfect logician and is aware that this is true of every other man in the town.
Every man in the town knows all about the behavior of every woman in the town, with the exception, if he is married, of his own wife. It is taboo for anyone to speak about a woman to her husband.
It is an immutable custom (abhorrent to us maybe, but as inevitable as night following day to them) that, when a man discovers that his wife has been unfaithful, he takes her out into the town square that same night, and on the stroke of midnight shoots her.
There are 40 unfaithful wives in town.

Now, life has been continuing its uneventful course for some time when, one fateful summer's day, June 1st actually, the Mayor summons all the townsmen to a meeting in the town hall. 'I am very sorry to have to tell you this,' he says, 'but there is an unfaithful wife in this town.' The meeting ends and the men disperse.

What, if anything, happens, and when?
If the men are perfect logicians, then one who doesn't have a cheating wife or have no wife at all will know of 40 other wives that cheat. Men who have cheating wives will know of 39 women that cheat. A husband cannot be told about his own wife, but he can ask a man without a wife the general question of, "how many women in town are cheating?" (the mayor was allowed to say 1 wife cheats, so I assume this is ok) The answer would be 40. Therefore a man who has 40 by his count as well knows his wife is clear. Any man whose count was 39 shoots his wife in the square at midnight.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

You people really suck at solving clues lol.

That isn't even close to correct.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
If the men are perfect logicians, then one who doesn't have a cheating wife or have no wife at all will know of 40 other wives that cheat. Men who have cheating wives will know of 39 women that cheat. A husband cannot be told about his own wife, but he can ask a man without a wife the general question of, "how many women in town are cheating?" (the mayor was allowed to say 1 wife cheats, so I assume this is ok) The answer would be 40. Therefore a man who has 40 by his count as well knows his wife is clear. Any man whose count was 39 shoots his wife in the square at midnight.
Not exactly right but it's close enough. Here ya go:

In order to understand what's going on in that poor little town, let's play a game with the men in that town. If you recall, they're all perfect logicians so this excercise should be trivial to them. Let's assume we invite 10 of the men in that town to play a game with us--we'll arange them in a circle so that they can each see every other man, then we place a black or white hat on their head so that they can see the hat on every head except their own. We tell them that when the town crier stands in the center of the circle and rings his bell, every man wearing a black hat must take a step forward. We also tell them that at least one man will be wearing a black hat. the town crier then proceeds to ring his bell once every 2 minutes (we have to give our perfect logicians at least a small amount of time to sort their thoughts...)

First let's take a look at the trivial case of only one man of the 10 wearing a black hat. When the town crier rings his bell, the perfect logician realizes that there must be at least one black hat and he doesn't see one on anyone else's head and concludes that his hat is black and takes a step forward. That was simple.

The case with two men wearing black hats gets a bit more confusing. Each of the two men wearing a black hat sees one other man wearing a black hat. The other eight men present see two men wearing hats. The first time the crier rings his bell, each of the two men wearing a black hat expects the other man to step forward based on the argument given in the previous paragraph. Of course, neither of the men steps forward because they are not sure that they have a black hat on. As soon as they realize that the other man must see a black hat somewhere in the crowd, and not seeing two themselves, they realize that they must be wearing the other black hat. When the crier rings his bell the second time, they both step forward. If you think that was confusing to read, just imagine how confused I was writing it.

When there are three men wearing black hats, they each see two others wearing black hats and expect them both to step forward the second time the crier rings his bell. Of course the other two don't, because they each see two other black hats, then after the second bell ringing, they realize there must be three men wearing black hats and because they only see two they conclude that they are wearing the third black hat.

What it boils down to is that each man expects some number of men to step forward equal to the number of black hats they see. If they see 0 black hats, they step forward themself. If they see 1 black hat they expect that man to step forward on the first bell ring. If he doesn't, they conclude that they, too, are wearing a black hat. If they see 2 black hats they expect both those men to step forward on the second bell ringing. If they don't, they conclude that they, too, must be wearing a black hat. This general line of reasoning goes on for as many logicians are wearing black hats.

Now let's see how this works for the unfaithful wives in our little town...

If there had been only one unfaithful wife in town when the mayor made his statement, each other man in town would have known about that one unfaithful wife while the poor man whose wife had been cheating would have been totally surprised to hear the news and taken his wife out that night to shoot her.

If there had been two unfaithful wives, each of the two husbands with the cheating wives would have known about the other's unfaithful wife and expected them to shoot her on that first night. When they woke up the next morning and saw the unfaithful wife going about her business in the town, they would have realized that there were two unfaithful wives in town, and not knowing of any other unfaithful wives would have concluded that theirs was also unfaithful and taken her out that night and shot her.

Again, this line of reasoning grows to fit the total number of unfaithful wives. The 40 men whose wives were unfaithful would have known about the other 39 and expected them to be shot on the 39th night. When they woke up on the morning after the 39th night only to find them going about their business in town, they would have realized that there must have been 40 unfaithful wives and knowing only of 39 would have concluded that theirs was also unfaithful and on the 40th night, taken her out to the town square and shot her along side the other 39 unfaithful wives.

Top Bottom