• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Doctor X

Smash Lord
I would say Dedede or Ganon, Dedede more likely due to the recovery bit.

And yes, the SBR would talk about Ganon. Some good players have been using him with surprising results, which fits in with the "underestimated by many" bit.

As for Pit... as a Pit main I say definitely not. The back air is his strongest aerial, and I wouldn't generally describe it as a low-percent kill.

Edit: And Wario has a very strong ground game with his forward smash, plus his aerial game still isn't a "low-percent kill," except maybe his uair on light characters. Plus spamming is bike is stupid since it leads to him being gimped.

gongbomb

Smash Cadet
I believe it is Lucas. He has a decent air game and kill get a low percent kill if he gets his bair spike off. And his ground game consists of spamming mostly pk fire.

A_man13

Smash Master
Has anyone thought about ness being it? Strong aerial game, a strong b move was mentioned (PK fire), and smarter players can negate PK cannonbolt, but deadly recovery if used correctly.

BEES

Smash Lord
My immediate thought was Wario. Wario's air game is great and I've gimp killed quite a few people at low percentages with him. But Wario has absolutely norhing going for him on the ground. Overall he is the slowest ground character. His jab is the only attack that comes out with any speed and even that is slow for a jab. Wario's only option on the ground is his bike. Wario can be knocked off his bike midair. And to top things off Wario is underestimated which Pit and ZSS aren't.

On the subject of ZSS I wouldn't call her air game amazing. Her air game is solid but not exceptional. Maybe if she had a lower short hop and could actually approach by air things would be different.
This was exactly what I thought too. Guessing Wario.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
What could be possible :

-> Bowser. The recovery part makes me doubt.

-> Donkey Kong : Many spikes that could kill at low percents. Undersetimated. On the ground, ican't see any useful moves... There are his tilts, though. But a lot of DK users seem to use B, Down B and side B. This last one is done with a SH though... Hum, no it's not DK.

-> Fox. (Hum... :s)

-> Ganondorf. He has a solid ground game, so...

-> DDD ?

-> Lucario. Great but slow smashes, but good tilts...

-> Olimar.

-> Sonic.

-> Wario

-> Yoshi.
Definitely not Olimar. His recovery isn't even OK if the opponent is being dumb... Plus his ground game is good.

I'm going to go with Wario on this one.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
The next character is Zero Suit Samus. Great airgame, relies heavily on B moves, horrendous recovery. Seems like a perfect fit to me.

Ants

Smash Cadet
zero suit samus is not underestimated and u dont even hav to be a smart opponent to screw over her recovery. ledge hog... done, no effort required

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Its either Sonic or Ganondorf. Extremely underrated, they can kill you in the air at early %, and predictable but hard to hit recovery.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Next week's character will be a fun one to talk about. Underestimated by many, this character has a devastating aerial game that will surprise you when it takes you out at a low percent. But on the ground this character doesn't have very many options other than to use one of their B attacks often. And this character's recovery can be fine sometimes, but against smart opponents this character can be gimped quite easily.
Wow, not many tips this time around.

I'm just going to guess Zelda every week from now on. Heh.

Alright, Wario's a strong guess. "Devastating aerial game" and decent recovery but easily gimpable. Can't be Dedede, he's got a fantastic chaingrab and his recovery is near impossible to gimp. Can't be Ganondorf, he's got more options on ground than in air.

Toon Link probably is a legit answer too - He does have fine recovery that can be gimped, and on ground his attacks are pretty unspectacular, except for the projectile spam.

EDIT: NO WAY is it Sonic. He can NOT kill at low percent with his airgame easily.

DGMavn

Smash Apprentice
Zelda.

Her aerials are beast. uair kills at, like, 60%.
Her ground game is iffy and Din's Fire is beastly.
Her up-B is very linear and has zero DI after she pops out.

Jiggs' recovery is ridiculous and is impossible to gimp - at least not any more than usual.
Toon Link's recovery is just average and unremarkable.
Zelda's has huge distance but very few options.

Easiest hint yet.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Zelda.

Her aerials are beast. uair kills at, like, 60%.
Her ground game is iffy and Din's Fire is beastly.
Her up-B is very linear and has zero DI after she pops out.

Jiggs' recovery is ridiculous and is impossible to gimp - at least not any more than usual.
Toon Link's recovery is just average and unremarkable.
Zelda's has huge distance but very few options.

Easiest hint yet.

1. Her aerials arent the best when it comes to approaches and such. Her Nair is a multihit and can be DIed out of, her Bair and Fair have hard sweetspots and if they hit with a nonsweetpot it'll only cause 4% damage and will have minimal knockback, her Dair is basically useless unless you sweetspot it, her Uair yes is great, however its somewhat easy to dodge with the airdoging and DI system in this game.

2. Her ground game is sort of nice but Zeldas have more than one option when it comes to using special moves on the ground. And in the hint it says this characters ground game somewhat limits it to one B move.

I think the recovery part sort of fits her though.

Amide

Smash Lord
Toon Link makes sense, but since when the heck is he underestimated? Jiggs makes sense too, but no good specials.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Wario...possibly.

He's primarily an aerial fighter (f-air FTW), his "ground game" consists of f-tilt/f-smash/u-tilt, all other attacks are outranged/outprioritized. However, Bite is an amazing B move and makes up for ground awkwardness.

My only issue is that I fail to see how his recovery is gimpable...scratch that. No Bike @ 80%+ = die.

OK, my bet's on Wario.

DGMavn

Smash Apprentice
1. Her aerials arent the best when it comes to approaches and such. Her Nair is a multihit and can be DIed out of, her Bair and Fair have hard sweetspots and if they hit with a nonsweetpot it'll only cause 4% damage and will have minimal knockback, her Dair is basically useless unless you sweetspot it, her Uair yes is great, however its somewhat easy to dodge with the airdoging and DI system in this game.

2. Her ground game is sort of nice but Zeldas have more than one option when it comes to using special moves on the ground. And in the hint it says this characters ground game somewhat limits it to one B move.

I think the recovery part sort of fits her though.
"devastating aerial game that will take you out at low percents" - this fits Zelda perfectly. Her fair, bair and uair all hit like a truck. The clue says nothing about approaching, and the airdodging is why you use mindgames and read your opponent. If you do that, then yes, Zelda does have a devastating aerial game. I feel like the Back Room has enough good players that they can see the effects of properly spaced aerials instead of missing like a scrub. Falcon's knee in Melee == Zelda's Brawl aerials.

Neutral B is a reflector; limited range/usage and laggy.
Up B is recovery, which is gimpable.
Down B is Sheik, which you can't use "often".

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Gannondorf. His aerials are strong and can kill at low percentages. And on the ground he relies on his Toward B. His recovery is alright, but nothing great.

Adapt

Smash Lord
which B move does wario have to resort to on the ground? Warios like to leave the bike for recovery plus his F-smash with SAF is an awesome move, and his tilts are pretty good as well. .I don't think wario is underestimated either... hes considered high tier on several of the lists I've seen

Thats why i thought ZSS was closer.

After looking at some tier lists, i figure that it could be any of the following:
lucas, ness, sonic, zss, link, samus, or jiggs

and I still think sonic and zss are the 2 most likely

Evilpenguin

Smash Cadet
I think that #8 is Olimar.

1. Many people think he's bad because he relies on pikmin.
2. His air game is deadly because he can ken combo and red/purp/yellow are powerful aerial finishers.
3. On the ground he has to use side b; it's really his only feasible B-move attack.
4. His recovery is easily gimped because it's a tether.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
This hint has really got me stumped pretty well. Its very unclear about what it means when it references the character using a single special attack on the ground. Does it mean that their Jabs, Tilts, and Smashes are worthless? Does it just mean that they are best used by spamming that B attack on the ground? There is so much variation produced by just that one line that it makes this one far too variable since we dont know exactly what traits that line actually hints at.

However since there really isnt a character that is best off on the ground only using 1 B attack instead of other attacks (though not necessarily specials) I think that it doesnt mean their other ground moves are bad at all, but that they will rely rather HEAVILY on a single special attack while on the ground. Since pretty much every character has either a good tilt, jab, or smash use alongside their special attacks when grounded.

So what we need to look for are probably characters with no more than 3 or 4 good ground moves, and one B attack that pretty much dominates their ground game. Also we need someone with relatively poor recovery in terms of it being able to be gimped, but it also cant be total crap either, otherwise gimping isnt necessary and thus fighting a skilled or unskilled player wont change their chance much to recover. And yeah, they need a *surprisingly* good aerial game.

Ganondorf fits fairly well, but his recovery is pretty hard to gimp, poor as it may be. The skill of an opponent isnt going to turn gimping him into an easy task.

Peach fits pretty well too. Even though her f-air isnt as great as it was in Melee, its still quite strong, and her n-air is still great as well as u-air. On the ground she relies a lot on turnips, lacking useful tilts due to range issues. She also has a decent recovery, but its definitely gimpable if you know what you are doing.

Wario also fits quite well. Knocking him off his bike as he tries to recover isnt that difficult, you just have to avoid or outprioritize the bike hitbox and be able to hit Wario as well with any aerial with half decent knockback. He really only has one good ground B move that you want to use with any frequency, but I wouldnt really say it dominates his ground play.

Yeah...this hint really sucks...too vague, it leaves too much of what the hint actually means up to those solving it (so its sort of incomplete), it doesnt fit any character well enough.

Plus I dont even think that any of the characters Im coming up with are even worthy of the 8th best in Brawl title.

Thinking about it though, I believe we should work at this hint from the recovery aspect first, then we need to look for a character with a strong aerial game, and from that list use the special attack hint to narrow down the list. If we try it in any order the use of the hint in solving it becomes too subjective, since the person must interpret the hint itself a great deal when it comes to that part.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Number 8 is soooooo hard.

I'm really not sure about any particular character that likes using a single B move often on the ground.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I think that #8 is Olimar.

1. Many people think he's bad because he relies on pikmin.
2. His air game is deadly because he can ken combo and red/purp/yellow are powerful aerial finishers.
3. On the ground he has to use side b; it's really his only feasible B-move attack.
4. His recovery is easily gimped because it's a tether.
This makes the most sense to me. It seems like the logical choice out of what has been mentioned so far.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Good,I was right with Falco.

mirkdddlhppr

Smash Cadet
Who else but the LEADER OF TEH BUNCH?!

Lawl. DK has decent aerials, spams Neutral B, gimped...

Or Wario. Wario often uses the Chomper or Choppa. And he has a great aerial game.

Top Bottom