• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Grandeza

Smash Master
2 words in the hint kill that...

"Too slow".

"but is still too slow to do anything to a fast character".

If there is anything sonic is NOT it's "too slow".
It didn't specify running speed. It could easily be referring to attack speed. Not that im endorsing sonic or anything.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I edited it a bit since the first time I posted it

People rant on about how 'slow' Sonic's attacks are all the time. Granted, I don't feel it much, maybe out of being accustomed to it, but you rack up damage on someone and now you're stuck trying to hit them with B-air, F-smash, D-smash, Homing Attack - all moves that either have long startup or keep Sonic in a state for too long if you miss the move.

PS, if SBR is being vague and going all "SURPRISE! WRONG CHARACTER!" on people, "Too slow" is such a good throw-off. Not to mention it's Sonic's most effective weapo- err taunt.
Yes, but those are just his kill moves, not everything in his arsenal.

If it's sonic, this is just a bad hint, because it totally doesn't match up with the character, it needed something along the lines of "but is too slow to finish off fast characters", because his finishers are the issue, not the fact that "he can't do anything", because it's just not an accurate representation of sonic's gameplay.

didnt specify running speed, couldve been attack speed, with which sonics best kill move is way "too slow" (his f-smash)
But the hint didn't say "kill moves", it said "to slow to do anything".

Sonic has quite a few attacks that aren't in the category of kill moves which are extremely fast, and can catch up with the fastest of characters.

He lacks fast kill moves, but he certainly can do quite a bit against fast characters.

Plus, we might want to look at sonic's disadvantages... Donkey Kong, Kirby, Ike, Lucas, Lucario... generally he's better off against fast characters.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
when I read this I honestly though of either Charizard or Bowser. I consider Charizard because flamethrower, rocksmash, and his fair work as great distance moves that punish campers. Plus he has to really space out his attacks to get the maximum amount of potential from them Like fair which doesn't have any knockback unless you hit the opponent with the tip of the flames or dair which really has a small hitbox.. He's also kinda slow and really works great against other slow characters. However I don't see the Zard as a character with any glaring disadvantages besides him being slow and poke rotation (which I don't see as a disadvantage) though Bowser who also owns campers with flamethrower does.

Still I'll decide on Charizard on this one, I just pictured him when I read this.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
when I read this I honestly though of either Charizard or Bowser. I consider Charizard because flamethrower, rocksmash, and his fair work as great distance moves that punish campers. He's also kinda slow and really works great against other slow characters. However I don't see the Zard as a character with any glaring disadvantages besides him being slow though Bowser who also owns campers with flamethrower does.

Still I'll decide on Charizard on this one, I just pictured him when I read this.
I think it's more likely Bowser than Charizard, due to the hints that spacing is essential (Bowser definitely needs spacing more than Charizard) and that he is underplayed.

Spams all over slow characters? Bowser can probably do that with his Fire Breath and possibly his DSmash. Maybe tilts that I don't know about (I don't play Bowser much myself).

Can stop campers? He practically has an aerial grab, and again Fire Breath, as well as that infinite jump to help him jump over projectiles.

I can be wrong, but I think signs may point to Bowser on this one.

Smash Ace
I'm with the "It's Link" folks. I could see Ness too, and maybe IC's (I dunno, can they stop campers exceptionally well? They were pretty good in SSBM against laser-camping Falcos).

Bowser? No way. He's terrible against projectile campers. Gimpy even said so in the last SMYN episode, and my experience (which is admittedly limited) is in agreement with him.

Adapt

Smash Lord
This is a really tough clue...

I may just stick with my previous guess Luigi (from before the hint was up)
Since I am gonna get it wrong anyway I might as well (and I can claim clairvoyance if I'm right)

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Most of the hint does sound incredibly Linky, but I'm very wary about the "stops campers from camping" bit. Against characters with fast, simple projectiles, Link's projectile game is usually the one that gets shut down in my experience. Pulling out a bomb, throwing the boomerang, and charging up a proper arrow each take a fair amount of time when they're not all covering each other, and it's impossible to keep your rhythm going with Pit's arrows or Falco's blaster interrupting you with minor hitstun all the time.

Of course, "camping" isn't always synonymous with "accurate projectile spamming", and anyone who thinks they can convince Link to approach without constantly inflicting actual damage on him over a very long distance is going to be sorely disappointed, so it could go either way.

Falcon...Puuunch!

Smash Cadet
I LOVE how we're discussing more about who the next character will be than the character currently up for discussion.

Uh oh, here comes one 'o' them posts now.

Anyway, I think Gannondorf is a much better character than people make him out to be. People are turned off by him immediately by his speed, or lack thereof. They never actually train with them to look at his good points. He is obviously a powerhouse. I don't know if you've noticed, but a Gannondorf spamming short hop down a's is always a *****. He can KO at extremely low percentages if utilized correctly.

That's not to say he doesn't have his weaknesses, of course. A speedy character like meta-knight will run circles around Gannondorf no matter what you do. Snake is also a nearly impossible beast to defeat. Then again, who is a good challenger for snake.
All in all, I think Gannondorf is a slow powerhouse who is ready to take on any challenge provided the player is smart enough to utilize his advantages. And I will say it now that Gannondorf deserves better then the bottom of the lowes tier.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
No one on this page has said Samus yet... she definitely is quite slow, her running speed and slow falling speed make her slow overall. Her missiles and charge shot can generally out spam or clank with other projectile spammers, and homing missiles got buffed. Her zair is a beast, freakish range, and with no lag.

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like Olimar, though he isn't slow as the hint suggests.

Hmm we'll have to wait and see then.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Holy crap lol at update 8. Love it. Had no idea they would do him so soon.

Update #9: ????

This character has a difficult learning curve as spacing is essential. This character can stop most campy characters from camping, spams all over slow characters, but is still too slow to do anything to a fast character. There is no doubt this underplayed character can become amazing in the future, but a few glaring weaknesses will probably prevent this character from ever reaching some of the higher tiers.

Can you guess who next week's character is?
I need to thank Kyari for half of this hint, as I took something Kyari posted and made it ambiguous ^_^
I say Zelda.

Spacing is everything, especially landing F-airs.

Naryu's love stops campers

Din's Fire spam, uh yeah.

Also she does really badly against people who can quickly pressure her.

I'd also guess Olimar, who is played less than Zelda, but who knows. The hints have gotten harder lol.

kamogawa

Smash Rookie
olimar comes straight to mind...i really bet it's him as he does have a steep learning curve, spams, and also stops spammers by throwing pikmin in front. spacing is also a big portion of his game with his disjointed hitboxes

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I think DK fits the hint criteria as well, as with this line:

There is no doubt this underplayed character can become amazing in the future,
People are actually beginning to look at DK seriously, and people don't seem to doubt him.

Let's not forget that DK was brought up as a counter to Snake. His moves also require spacing and have a learning curve, and of course, his Down + B can likely spam heavy characters quite a bit. At the same time, it's obvious that he will have trouble with faster characters and has a few glaring weaknesses.

I could be wrong about some of the things I said, since I am by no means a DK expert, and just judging by what I remember, but it seems like DK can fit every single detail of the hint.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
It's Ness or Lucas, but I'm going to say Ness. Ness can stop most campers with down B. It says most because he can't absorb all projectiles like the Links' arrows, boomerangs, and bombs. PK fire is very spammable vs the slower characters and it's easy to juggle with PK thunder even if they try to dodge. His big weaknesses are his recovery and the infinite grab thingy.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I dont really see DK's down B being that useful against heavy characters, its a lot more useful than against lighter characters, but it defintiely doesnt trap anyone with half a brain. One hit with it and then they back off. Its also good against slower characters, but mostly because it takes them longer to get out of the initial jumping animation and their roll dodges are more susceptible to DK's down B.

DK fits pretty well, but I think thats more due to how vague the hint is rather than it actually being directed at him. If it was DK there would be a lot more mention of his aerial game, since his b-air and u-air are absolutely amazing.

By the way, I think the most useful part of this weeks hint is the too slow to do anything to a fast character. In other words this character has trouble with fast characters, most likely to to a moveset full of slow standard/aerial attacks.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I think link when I read into it, but at a first glance it screamed DeDeDe, I do not know why, and it seems less likely now that I read into it.

Http

Smash Cadet
Nobody suggested Samus yet? She was the first thing that screamed at me when I read it. But what do I know? Link and Ness also seem plausible, but again I don't really know. I've gotten almost every single one wrong so far except G&W which wasn't too hard.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I dont see Samus having too much trouble with faster characters. Bombs and seeker missiles shut down most speed characters pretty well. Plus her attacks have very little lag and I think every one of her aerials auto cancels so you can take advantage of that to stop faster characters from dominating as well.

Http

Smash Cadet
But Samus in general is just clunky. The same type of clunky that makes me not like the space animals (although they're completely different). Of course, this is merely my experience (which never says much in my case), but none of Samus' attacks seem to flow together, and generally I'm stuck with using the grapple. If Samus didn't have her grapple, I don't think there'd be any contest about who the bottom character would be.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
But her grapple is amazing in the hands of someone who is good with it. Her moves may not flow quite as well as some chracters, but she definitely doesnt have any problems with faster characters simply because her bombs and seeker missiles tend to shut down her opponents movement and prevent them from using their speed as an advantage.

Http

Smash Cadet
But the bombs and missiles aren't much different from most other projectiles, and if that's any indication, than fast characters shouldn't have the slightest (well, a slight) problem dealing with Samus' subpar projectiles. Unfortunately, Samus projectiles are more a minor hindrance as opposed to an actual threat.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
But the entire purpose of them is to force her opponents to slow down their game. Seeker missiles are definitely great at this since they tend to follow you a little bit and when you lay a couple bombs down as well, it forces faster chracters into the air where they are not quite as nimble.

Top Bottom