• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Adapt

Smash Lord
Could be Lucario but he's not too bad against faster characters
Could be Ike, but I'm not sure if his recovery was ever considered good, and he's fun to play against
Could be DDD, but I dunno how easy his recovery is to gimp

I'll stick with DDD for my guess

Snail

Smash Lord
D3 can handle projectile spammers fine...
Marth maybe?
Marth is so overpowered he has no trouble handling anyone at all, and I don't really think his recovery is intimidating... It's pretty much the same as it was in Melee.

And D3 has some trouble with projectile spam because he's a bit sluggish at times and a large target... :dizzy:

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
marth's recovery never was viewed as godly and isn't super gimpable unless you edgehog him and he tries to sweetspot so I don't think its marth.

i thought it was olimar but then i remembered that we've always thought his recovery was terrible because of the edgehog.

so... my guess might go with dedede too.

edit/ WOW a lot of people posted when i was typing this

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Ike is the next character, his Ether was a great recovery and same with side b but now we all know how to beat him, he can change the match around in a instant (just ask forward smash), and can't handle projectiles well

my money's on Ike

Snail

Smash Lord
Ike's recovery is not intimidating. It isn't too bad, but nowhere near the likes of D3, Kirby, Jiggs, ROB, Snake, Pikachu and several other characters. :/

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
to description seems to fit ike: bothered by fast and spammy characters, recovery seems godly when you first play him but then learn to easily punish it, and for having played alot against ike i know that each mistake may cost you your life.

Percon

Smash Lord
My money's on Luigi.

His projectile sucks, so he's easily outcamped. And I remember everyone going crazy for the tornado recovery, but I guess his recovery doesn't seem that good anymore. Up-B changes the outcome of matches quickly.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Ill go with DDD or Luigi. Ill think it out between them a bit later, but they both fit pretty well, though I think that DDD with a decent projectile, probably doesnt have too much trouble with spam, and Luigi I dont see having too much trouble with faster characters.

But Ill give it some harder thought later, especially on DDD and how he deals with projectile spam, but I dont feel like thinking too hard right now.

mirkdddlhppr

Smash Cadet
Actually, Weegee makes much more sense. He has slow running speed and has trouble with fasties.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I don't think it can be luigi. He said "when the game came out we thought the recovery was amazing", well it sounds like it would be a newer character wouldn't it? I'd say D3 or Ike.

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
I actually think it's Snake, even if he has loads of projectiles, he lacks a reflector therefore having trouble against projectile spammers.

And his recovery might seem great, but it's really bad when playing someone who knows how to gimp it.

mirkdddlhppr

Smash Cadet
I actually think it's Snake, even if he has loads of projectiles, he lacks a reflector therefore having trouble against projectile spammers.

And his recovery might seem great, but it's really bad when playing someone who knows how to gimp it.
That'd actually be a good guess, but he's been done already.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
It's Ike
- He is difficult to play against faster characters
- Projectiles shut him down a lot
- Quick Draw was such an awesome, long ranged recovery move before people realized it's easily stopped
- "If you don't react fast enough". That means getting FSmashed in the face or something.

EDIT: Or Dedede, as others suggested

Smash Ace
Ike is a decent guess. My only problem is that we figured out that his recovery was easily gimped way back. People used that trick at E4All.

Might be Ike anyway, but the recovery hint is poorly written if so. Plus, I like fighting Ike.

EDIT: I'm afraid that I don't see it being Mario, but I'm not that educated about him. Why do you think that it could be our Italian plumber?

Dedede is definitely a good guess.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I'm going to guess Dedede. Most of the characters that do well on him are fast or spammy. His recovery goes really far, but many characters can hit him out of it. And he could kill easily, and chaingrab a large portion of the cast, making him able to turn the match around to his favor quickly.

The only reason I wouldn't guess Ike is because his recovery was never so good it can be intimidating...

Falcon...Puuunch!

Smash Cadet
I think Lucario. His aura makes him stronger when he's down, and his wall cling recovery isn't that great(IMO I could be wrong though.) I'm not sure about how he does against projectiles, but it seems he would have trouble against faster characters.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
This is somewhat related, and something I've been wondering.

I know how to gimp Ike's >B, but how does one do so to his ^B?
Or are you just supposed to hit him far horizontally and interrupt >B?

SnatchForFree

Smash Cadet
There's no way it's ike. The last sentence says it's someone who is fun to play with but not to play against. I personally love playing Ikes because of how slow and predictable they are. And I don't find him much fun to play as, of course this is opinionated, but you get my drift.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
I think Lucario. His aura makes him stronger when he's down, and his wall cling recovery isn't that great(IMO I could be wrong though.) I'm not sure about how he does against projectiles, but it seems he would have trouble against faster characters.
Eh, Lucario's recovery neither seems intimidating on first sight, nor did anyone ever think it to be great.

Or am I wrong?

TWK?

Smash Cadet
I'm going to throw my guess into this barrel and say that it's Zelda. I'll break apart the clues and give my answer to each.

1) difficulty with some faster characters and against strong projectile spamming. This fits Zelda because her most often used moves and either multi-hits, have slow wide arcs or insane landing lag. With that she needs to be smart against speed characters. As far as the matchup against characters with strong projectile games, Din's fire is too slow and is easily out spammed by things like lasers from the space animals. Nayru's Love, as nice as it is, has far too much ending lag to be reliable to shut down a large amount of spamming and is easily punished if they bait you into it.

2) recovery seems great, and was quite intimidating when the game was first released but is now realized as easily punished sometimes. This refers quite well to Farore's Wind. When the game first came out, this version of FW was much faster and had different properties than the Melee counterpart. It is far easier to control and has a hitbox on the reappearence, something that drove many people insane out of old habits. Of course, now that we all know how it has changed and it's strength and reliability, most people can just block and punish if it is aimed at them, or if Zelda does not touch the ground with the reappearence the landing lag is just god awful.

3) match can change direction quickly if you don't react quickly. Fresh lightning kicks are devastating. Her U-air is downright beastly. Most of her moves are so packed with power they can kill at very low %'s with multiple options for horizontal or vertical kills. The kicks come out so fast that mistiming a dodge or block could cost you a stock at mid-range damage.

4) fun to play with, but not against. What can I say, it is fun to spam Din's fire all over less skilled players. It's like having Snake's Final Smash ALL THE TIME. Well, maybe not THAT powerful, but it makes you feel good. Honestly though, how many times have you seen a Zelda forced to approach? More often than not the opponent is forced to dodge through a minefield of magic every time there is distance between the two, and I don't know many people who think that is fun.

Hope I'm not just making things up in my head here... (plus, you KNOW they want to finish the Triforce, they just gotta!)

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I'm going to throw my guess into this barrel and say that it's Zelda. I'll break apart the clues and give my answer to each.

1) difficulty with some faster characters and against strong projectile spamming. This fits Zelda because her most often used moves and either multi-hits, have slow wide arcs or insane landing lag. With that she needs to be smart against speed characters. As far as the matchup against characters with strong projectile games, Din's fire is too slow and is easily out spammed by things like lasers from the space animals. Nayru's Love, as nice as it is, has far too much ending lag to be reliable to shut down a large amount of spamming and is easily punished if they bait you into it.

2) recovery seems great, and was quite intimidating when the game was first released but is now realized as easily punished sometimes. This refers quite well to Farore's Wind. When the game first came out, this version of FW was much faster and had different properties than the Melee counterpart. It is far easier to control and has a hitbox on the reappearence, something that drove many people insane out of old habits. Of course, now that we all know how it has changed and it's strength and reliability, most people can just block and punish if it is aimed at them, or if Zelda does not touch the ground with the reappearence the landing lag is just god awful.

3) match can change direction quickly if you don't react quickly. Fresh lightning kicks are devastating. Her U-air is downright beastly. Most of her moves are so packed with power they can kill at very low %'s with multiple options for horizontal or vertical kills. The kicks come out so fast that mistiming a dodge or block could cost you a stock at mid-range damage.

4) fun to play with, but not against. What can I say, it is fun to spam Din's fire all over less skilled players. It's like having Snake's Final Smash ALL THE TIME. Well, maybe not THAT powerful, but it makes you feel good. Honestly though, how many times have you seen a Zelda forced to approach? More often than not the opponent is forced to dodge through a minefield of magic every time there is distance between the two, and I don't know many people who think that is fun.

Hope I'm not just making things up in my head here... (plus, you KNOW they want to finish the Triforce, they just gotta!)
Umm. ****. Good guess.

Rebonack

Smash Apprentice
It isn't Lucario. Against a projectile spammer he can use reverse double team to get a free, safe method of approach. And he hasn't ever been hailed as a great character. Pretty much everyone seems to have thought he was middle of the road material from the beginning (or low if they only looked at his damage).

My guess would be Ike. If you blink on his Fsmash you're dead. You can gimp his quick-draw recovery by simply leaping in front of him. And Aether has such pitiful reach that you're pretty much dead if you're anything more than hardly off the edge. He really has NO good response to projectiles other than blocking. And, of course, Ike was considered amazing by most of the community early on. Since then the perception of his placing on the inevitable tier list has steadily dropped.

isomorphism

Smash Cadet
Sounds a lot like Pit to me, especially the "annoying to play against" part... he hasn't been done yet, right?

Top Bottom