• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Vaul

Smash Apprentice
Hey mirai, couldn't help but notice you didn't reply to my post back on 158. I'm sure you dont give a sh*t, but if you do, do it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
This thread has virtually no momentum at all; the next page will be completely void of anything referenced here and will go back to the innocent guessing game.
This speaks well enough for Mirai. We cannot do the "guessing game" when you are trying to agitate someone because they didn't respond to you.

On Topic: I really think it isn't gonna be Ike. The hint says that it CAN be easy to gimp the characters recovery, not it IS easy to gimp the recovery. Ike doesn't really have much of a variety when it comes to recovery. Someone like Dedede, who's recovery is more flexible and still vulnerable at times, fits the bill better IMO.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Vaul, I 'appreciate' attempting to hook me into an inflammatory debate about how your post came off arrogant and condescending towards Zelda players, but god, I don't care. You de-railed it enough by throwing out wide, sweeping generalizations. I already fell for it by asking you why you felt that way. I'm not doing it twice, and I think it speaks volumes of your attitude in baiting me back to the same god**** debate yet again. This thread is not the place and I don't care enough to follow you into whatever "Vaul's Special Zelda Player Bash-A-Thon" debate and refute you. Your statement on Zelda players was a trolling post and I don't feed trolls.

TL;DR version:
I'm sure you dont give a sh*t, but if you do, do it.
No.

On Topic: I really think it isn't gonna be Ike. The hint says that it CAN be easy to gimp the characters recovery, not it IS easy to gimp the recovery. Ike doesn't really have much of a variety when it comes to recovery. Someone like Dedede, who's recovery is more flexible and still vulnerable at times, fits the bill better IMO.
Mmmyeah, Dedede is very floaty in the latter parts of his recovery if he's not close enough to land on the platform, and stalling him out of it just begs for a setup. He's big and his secondary jumps aren't nearly as mobile as Kirby or MK.

I think Ike and D3 are equally likely.

ElectroBlooper

Smash Cadet
Sounds like DDD to me.

DDD can have a lot of trouble with characters that can out spam him. Small characters are also a pain for DDD - play against a pikachu or something as DDD and it'll become obvious pretty quickly. Also, he has a lot of options for turning around a match out of nowhere - I've seen a lot of DDD vids where he takes like 90% at the beginning but then catches up very quickly, though I guess this happens a lot with heavyweights in general (they take a good beating but catch up with a few of their powerful moves). His CG and edgeguarding can lead to an unexpected comeback and if he ever pulls off his fsmash it KO's at like 20%. His recovery was a big deal at the beginning of brawl because it was leagues better than any other heavyweight's (or most characters for that matter) making him pretty much the hardest to kill character in the game. His up b is pretty exposed once the opponent gets used to it though. If you don't think so, try playing as DDD and use that to recover against someone who knows how to edgeguard - it can be pretty scary, even if it isn't that easy to punish. DDD is also fun as hell to use. Fighting him, however, means putting up with his CG, edgeguarding, waddles, etc. which can be very frustrating.

I can see this being Ike too, but no one ever thought Ike's recovery was particularly steller, let alone "intimidating." QD and aether were overestimated at first (mostly by nubs) but not as amazing recovery moves.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Well the crippling flaws of Aether and QD are the fact that neither recovers diagonally very well, something that gets exploited on a regular basis. You have to be DIRECTLY below or horizontal from the ledge to be able to recover as Ike, and that's something that's very easily exploited with a quick ledgehog.

It was intimidating because, oh wow, he hits the area he's going to be LONG before he gets there.

It was easy as hell to cripple because you just have to know the timing of when he's about to use Aether or QD, which any decent player can figure out after a while.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Really? Jump->Airdodge->Aerial doesn't work most times?
DDD's Up-B right?

The landing attack has stars that have very good range to DDD's side. Personally me I don't think his Up-B is all that punishable, or at least I have not seen his Up-B punished very much. The only reason you ever want to cancel it is to grab the ledge. Canceling it can leave DDD more open than not canceling it. By the time the stars are gone, most of the lag of the Up-B seems to be gone. *shrug*

Besides, if he lands on the stage with this Up-B, he gets his many many midair jumps back, which is one more opportunity for him to midair jump aerial his way back to the ledge IF by any chance he was punished for using his Up-B.

I dunno about Ike's Up-B actually. Maybe I heard some high level players found a way around it or something...Or maybe it's easy to counter with Marth's Down-B or with Mario's FLUDD and stuff like that.

Browny

Smash Hater
dedede's recovery has to be one of the most punishable in the game lol. the idea isnt to sit on the ground and shield his stars. theres more than enough landing lag for a snake to jump, airdodge and put C4 on him. or a yoshi could just d-air him for a free 40% or something hehehe

Nodrak

Smash Ace
dedede's recovery has to be one of the most punishable in the game lol.
I bed to differ. One easy punish to Ike's sideB and he dies. One edgehog to his upB and he dies. DDD can land and maybe get punished, if the opponent screws up it's an instant punish against them, or he can cancel and grab the edge. Besides, what about Ness' recovery? Jump on top of him and he cant upB and dies, or a good projectile will cancel it out.

Has anyone thought it might be Yoshi? I'm not a big user but it's always fun to play as him, his recovery seemed 1000 times better before brawl was released and they said his upB helps his recovery and now it seems just as ****ty as before, possibly worse with footstool jumping in. I don't know how he fares with projectiles or quick characters though.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
DDD's Up-B right?

The landing attack has stars that have very good range to DDD's side. Personally me I don't think his Up-B is all that punishable, or at least I have not seen his Up-B punished very much. The only reason you ever want to cancel it is to grab the ledge. Canceling it can leave DDD more open than not canceling it. By the time the stars are gone, most of the lag of the Up-B seems to be gone. *shrug*
Yeah, that's why I said "jump." You don't wait on the ground for it. It's easy to airdodge through him and then attack from above, or the side (from the air.) The stars don't revolve about him; they just stay on the ground. Thus, it's hard not to punish him from the air.

Has anyone thought it might be Yoshi? I'm not a big user but it's always fun to play as him, his recovery seemed 1000 times better before brawl was released and they said his upB helps his recovery and now it seems just as ****ty as before, possibly worse with footstool jumping in. I don't know how he fares with projectiles or quick characters though.
I'm not so sure. His projectile has way too much lag to effectively counter others' camping, true. However, I don't think he fits anything else. His recovery is decent, and I think it has always been seen as such; it was certainly never intimidating. I haven't found considerably more trouble with faster characters than slow with my Yoshi (his ftilt comes out pretty quickly, for instance). Also, he certainly can't turn the game around in an instant. His Uair is his most powerful, I think, but not enough so to warrant such a statement. And a spike seems to be stretching it.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I find DDD recovery pretty punishable. Hes a massive target and if you are using a character with a good jump, then you can actually hit him right at he peaks his jump, and send him flying back. If you fail to do that, you can hit him as he is coming back down using just about any attack with either very high priority in the region above your character, or a disjointed hitbox. Pretty much DDD is vulnerable as hell for pretty much the entire time from when his jump peaks, to right before he hands, and then vulnerable again shortly after he has finished his landing.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Sort of a negligible detail, but I think a lot of people are confusing "punishable" with "gimpable"...
o.O?

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Not negligible.

Gimpable and punishable recovery is the difference between losing a stock or just getting comboed/hit.

Adapt

Smash Lord
When does this topic get updated now? I know it used to be tuesday, but in the last couple weeks things have slowed down. Is there a set schedule anymore, or is it whenever?

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
My guesses for next week (in order): Ike, D3, Yoshi.

And even if you counter the beginning of Aether, Ike gets hit when he still has armor frames. He goes nowhere. I have personally seen this happen in an Ike ditto.

Adapt

Smash Lord
patience is for the lazy!

too bad I can't repeat my overswarm joke this time, I need some sort of joke for lee

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
My guesses for next week (in order): Ike, D3, Yoshi.

And even if you counter the beginning of Aether, Ike gets hit when he still has armor frames. He goes nowhere. I have personally seen this happen in an Ike ditto.
Read my reasoning as to why it's not Yoshi, and tell me what you think.

I'm not so sure. His projectile has way too much lag to effectively counter others' camping, true. However, I don't think he fits anything else. His recovery is decent, and I think it has always been seen as such; it was certainly never intimidating. I haven't found considerably more trouble with faster characters than slow with my Yoshi (his ftilt comes out pretty quickly, for instance). Also, he certainly can't turn the game around in an instant. His Uair is his most powerful, I think, but not enough so to warrant such a statement. And a spike seems to be stretching it.

Popertop

Smash Champion
patience is for the lazy!

too bad I can't repeat my overswarm joke this time, I need some sort of joke for lee
That's actually kinda true. If I'm trying to get something done I'm way more impatient.

You could make a joke about how Ganon crushed everyone with his MASSIVE BALLZ after he murder stomped and murder punched them.
Ganon has ENORMOUS BALLZ.
Something to that effect, only replace with Lee Harris. See here:
Lee Harris's BALLZ are approximately twice the size of Jupiter.

M.K

Level 55
#10 is JIGGLZpuFF I tell ya!

I know that it says a projectile, but I think this is to mislead us. Her body is quite large compared to other fighters, and she uses her body as a projectile in Rollout. Whoever takes this post seriously is moronic!

Laugh.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
#10 is JIGGLZpuFF I tell ya!

I know that it says a projectile, but I think this is to mislead us. Her body is quite large compared to other fighters, and she uses her body as a projectile in Rollout. Whoever takes this post seriously is moronic!

Laugh.
OMG, it IS jiggly

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Where is the update?
In the last place you look =P

Bio: Yoshi had probably the worst recovery in Melee (debatable i know, but it wasn't great either way). Not many people had to worry about Yoshi as a threat in Melee because very few people ever played him. The idea of a better recovery for Yoshi in brawl was intimidating in the sense that people had another character to worry about. But now it seems Yoshi users are few and far between. I personally don't play Yoshi, I guess taking a look around the Yoshi board or matchup chart post would tell me more about Yoshi vs faster characters. I also haven't seen too many matches, so I'll take your word for the turning the game around, but I still think it can be done with any match, people getting cocky ect.

thisismatt

Smash Cadet
I would say Ike or Dedede.

However, because it's always someone that I'm LEAST expecting, I'm going to make a third guess as a wild guess: Jigglypuff.

Think about it...

"This character has some difficulty with some of the faster characters"
On the ground, Jigglypuff is very slow.

"as well as characters with strong projectile spamming games."
The stronger characters will just whip him/her/it (w/e, I call it him) around, and he has little to defend himself against spammed projectiles.

"This character's recovery seems great, and was quite intimidating when the game was first released, but now that the game has been out for longer we've come to realize just how easy this character's recovery can be to punish sometimes."
Self-explanitory.

"Always be careful when you're playing against this character; even if you're winning, the game can turn around instant if you don't react fast enough."
Depending on if you're using Smash Balls, if Jiggz gets one, it's pretty much a free life, especially on most of the Neutral stages.

"When all is said and done, this character can be fun to play with, but is rarely fun to play against."
Because NOBODY wants to have the **** flower on their head.

The only reason that I would think it is NOT Jigglypuff is because they didn't mention his incredible air game.

So, there are my three guesses. Dedede, President Eisenhower, and Jigglypuff.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
DDD has little issue with projectiles due to Waddles. Jiggs's recovery isn't that intimidating. Ike never had good recovery. Yoshi never had great recovery.

It's either Pit, Lucario or Luigi methinks.

thisismatt

Smash Cadet
DDD has little issue with projectiles due to Waddles. Jiggs's recovery isn't that intimidating. Ike never had good recovery. Yoshi never had great recovery.

It's either Pit, Lucario or Luigi methinks.
Lucario is an interesting choice, and I can see Pit, but I don't see where you're coming from with Luigi. Could you explain that one please?

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Lucario is an interesting choice, and I can see Pit, but I don't see where you're coming from with Luigi. Could you explain that one please?
Mostly the recovery issue. His recovery is good, but easy to intercept. It's a longshot, I admit. I'm banking on Luc or Pit. I put Luigi in thinking there might be something the SBR knows about him that we don't hehe.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Lucario, Pit and especially Luigi really don't have any problems with faster characters. Luigi, however, may get out-projectiled. Lucario feeds on projectiles and Pit can reflect just about anything with 2 different attacks.

Top Bottom