• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

mirkdddlhppr

Smash Cadet
This definitely seems to point at Toon Link and Zelda, because of their great ability both at long range and short, and also they have an advantage over DeDeDe...

It also seems to point at Pit, but (correct me if I'm wrong)...doesn't he have an even matchup against DeDeDe?

Toon Link is one of the fastest characters in the game, but...hmm... :D

ChaoticSamus

Smash Apprentice
Well seeing as the hint states that its anyone with a good close range game. That could be anyone. But when he says great long range game as well it has to be someone with projectiles. It could be Zelda but then again she has only one projectile meaning she doesnt have the realoly great long range game. TL has 3 projectiles meaning that it could be him. Pit only has his arrows and those are easily defeated. I'm gonna have to say here that its TL.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Well seeing as the hint states that its anyone with a good close range game. That could be anyone. But when he says great long range game as well it has to be someone with projectiles. It could be Zelda but then again she has only one projectile meaning she doesnt have the realoly great long range game. TL has 3 projectiles meaning that it could be him. Pit only has his arrows and those are easily defeated. I'm gonna have to say here that its TL.
To be fair it says a great long range GAME not Great Projectiles. Pit's Mirror Shield and a spammable projectile = great long range game.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's Zelda because of the wording on the character's KO ability. "Surprisingly decent" just doesn't seem to fit with her, as she was always described as having great knockback--especially in comparison to Sheik--even before the game came out. Even in Melee, she was meant to be a powerful hitter (even though the devs ended up gimping out on her).

Was anyone really surprised at her being able to KO at comparitively low percents? The only surprises we had with her knockback wouldn't be called "decent" either--fair/bair/uair/etc killing at some ridiculous percents.

cutter

Smash Champion
Feels like it should be either Pit or Toon Link since they both have good close range game with their swords and have excellent projectiles. They were both hyped up to the max shortly after launch date, but both have been very sparse in tournament play.

Then again, Olimar perfectly fits the bill as well...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm going to guess Olimar or Zelda, although I'm not too sure Olimar's been doing badly in tourneys (Or has he?)

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
It's so obvious that it's Toon Link. Everyone thought he was top tier or at least high tier when the game came out, but from what I've heard, and what Ankoku's ranking show, Toon Link has actually been doing pretty terrible in tournaments for some reason.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
First, it's not Olimar. He's like, 6th in Ankoku's thread.
Second, "great long range game" means what it says. Thus, it doesn't necessarily mean projectiles.

That said, my list (in order of probability) is
1. Toon Link
2. Zelda
3. Zamus
4. Pikachu

All four characters are ranked "E" in Ankoku's thread, and all four have a check in the matchup chart. However, I'm not the best at judging things. So there's my disclaimer. My issues with the bottom three are as follows: I'm not sure if people are surprised that Zelda and Pikachu pack some power. Also, I'm not too sure Pikachu's moveset is as situational as the clue implies. Then, I'm not sure that Zamus has enough K.O. power to be "surprisingly decent." (I'm not familiar.) If she does, though, she would fit that perfectly....

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
There's no way that this is Zelda, that's for sure. Surprisingly good at KOing? Only moves she can't kill with are jab, dtilt, nair, N's love, F's wind, throws and downb (lol). Her Din's fire honestly isn't that amazing due to ease of dodging it.

I think it's either toon link or pit, leaning towards tlink. They both have great projectile game but have been placing surprisingly low

edit: checked ankoku's thread. Pit isn't really doing so bad. >_>

Adapt

Smash Lord
First, it's not Olimar. He's like, 6th in Ankoku's thread.
Second, "great long range game" means what it says. Thus, it doesn't necessarily mean projectiles.

That said, my list (in order of probability) is
1. Toon Link
2. Zelda
3. Zamus
4. Pikachu
The thing I have against it being Zamus is that her game close up isn't all that great... her utilt and dtilt are great, but her ftilt is average, her jab is terrible, and nothing else is really a shortrange attack.

Also, Zelda's KO potential is not surprising at all, and Pikachu has been doing quite well in tourneys (up until the last couple weeks)

What did you have against Pit?

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
It's gotta be Olimar. He fit's everything perfectly. It's not Pit, he's not that situayional, and they would have mentionedhis number of character specific tech's. And his recovery.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
This is way harder than the last one(lol Ike xD).
I guess Toon Link.Im not really sure,but it seems right.Im going to look at Ankokus thread for more information.

Popertop

Smash Champion
I'd say Pikachu.
The only Pika I've seen doing well is Anther, and he has to work hard in a couple different problem matchups.
I won't say olimar because he said, "Only a few flaws" and not a glaring weakness like his recovery problem.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
Strong at close range with a great long range game and a surprisingly decent ability to KO, this character has had a lot of potential since Brawl was first released. But what happened? It seems like this character hasn't been holding up in tournaments, with a few exceptions, despite having only very few faults. Perhaps its because much of this character's strong points are situational, and very match-up dependent. This character has a few strong match-ups (watch out DeDeDe), but has to work hard to keep up with some other characters.
close range strength immediatly made me think of pit (because he has **** range with his fsmash) and zelda. There are of course others, but those seem to fit the best for that part of the clue.

surprising ko ability? Ok, this doesn't necesarily get rid of zelda, some would say that her ability to KO sub 100% in itself surprising. But it does open it up to many more characters.

the developers of SSBB initially said someting on the lines of "MK is good now, but in depth Pit is better." I remember that being said constantly post E4All. But Olimar and TL fit really well into that too.

ok, now we need a character that does poorly, but has a "few" wins. Pit is a B rank in both of ankoku's rankings so he's out. Olimar is a C and A rank in Ankoku's old/new rankings respectively, so he's also out. TL and zelda also used to be in the C rank, but are now in the E rank, so I believe they are both still possible.

This is where i think it fits zelda all the way, bigger characters like DDD, bowser, and DK just keep getting kicked in the face, while smaller characters like G&W, kirby, and olimar are a pain in the ***. My second choice for this would be Pikachu followed by TL.

Top Bottom