• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
ok, process of elimination time

characters who haven't been picked, and since it said that the character has a bad approach, i'll cross out all the characters i know have a good approach (to my knowledge, some of the characters i don't know well enough to judge)

Fox
Marth
Pit
IC's
Olimar
Zamus
Pikachu
Mario
Lucario
Kirby
Sheik
Lucas
Luigi (Weegee)
Wario
Ike
Bowser
Zelda
DK
Ness
Peach
Samus
Sonic
C. Falcon
Jiggs
PT
Yoshi

which leaves these guys, now ill cross out anyone without great kill moves/problems killing, because it says he has no problems killing

C. Falcon
Jiggs
PT
Yoshi
Samus
Ike
Bowser
Zelda
Pikachu
Mario
Lucario
Kirby
Sheik
Lucas
Luigi
Pit
IC's
Olimar
Fox

which leaves, another hint is its doomed to Mid tier, so i'll cross out a few that have been doing really bad in tournaments

IC's
Olimar
Fox
Lucas
Luigi
Kirby
Ike
Bowser
Zelda
Jiggs
PT

That leaves (a few of these might have a good approaches, i'm not sure, i know Ike and zelda don't, and i think the IC's and Kirby might, but i haven't played enough IC's/Kirby/Luigi/Fox mains to tell, if they do have good approaches, mentally check them off)

Fox
IC's
Ike
Kirby
Luigi
Olimar
Zelda

now, weird trick thats hard to pull off in tournament is probably talking about olimars WAC, but i don't know for sure

My guess is Olimar

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
It automatically struck me as Bowser.

There is so much potential in his ability to ISJR, but I've never seen any Bowser realistically do it in a battle despite how useful it's applications could be.

And he has a crappy approach game but could still KO at beastly low %s. His air game also looks great, but is limited like crazy because of his lack of anything auto-cancelable except fair(which you must jump close'ish to the opponent to actually get the autocancel off).

Kishsquared and Warriorknight have been shaping the way Bowser will be played, but if they learned to incorporate more ISJR, I think they'd be doing even better.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Zelda's my guess. Bad approach, aerials look good on paper (hard to sweetspot with, and is punishable), has no problem KO~ing, has a possibly good chance of going up the tier listings.

Or it may be Bowser, due to ISJR + his aerials.

Snail

Smash Lord
It can't be Olimar, his approach game is fine. He doesn't even need to approach. And Olimar has a fantastic aerial game, not just good-looking.

I think it might be Zelda :D

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I thought it was Zelda until that secret strategy part. If there is something people aren't telling me about my main I will destroy them!

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Pikachu has great kill moves...his F-Smash is very strong, sure its not incredible like Mr. Game and Watch's, but its **** strong if you get it to sweetspot, which isnt too difficult. Thunder is INCREDIBLY powerful as well if you are right next you your opponent when it strikes you, it has power comparable to some of the strongest smash attacks in the game then. His up smash is not really a laughing matter either, it definitely kills well enough, and combined with Thunder (the bolt has great KO potential on an aerial opponent (as they are closer to the death zone above the stage) and lasts longer than an air dodge so its not hard to hit with. Plus he has a chain grab on a number of characters to help him rack up damage and I think it might actually turn into a 0-death string on some opponents if they screw up.

Pikachu fits all the criteria very well aside from the supposed tier placement, which is rather subjective anyways.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why it isn't Olimar:
This character may be doomed to mid tier
no, just no. He's at least high tier.

because despite all the incredible strengths and abilities that this character possesses, the character is lacking any sort of approach game,
He has great approaching even if he ever needs to approach anyways.

and the character's air game, which seems great on the surface, is actually severely lacking.
Olimar has a VERY good aerial game. All have disjointed hitboxes(except nair), great priority, and combo ability. this can't be oimar.

Although, if the player can use this character well, these flaws may not actually be too much of a disadvantage because this character can KO without much of a problem.
true

In the future, this character could very easily rise in the tiers and tournament rankings if more players learn how to use the character well.
He already does great in tourneys despite the fact that Olimar mains are rarer than dinosaurs.

Also, there is an unusual strategy that is not often used that can be taken to balance this character's weaknesses,
maybe WAC. It could be whistle sliding, or desynching pikmin to perform two smashes at the same time-as well. They don't really help his weaknesses any though.

although very few people who use this character use the strategy as it is difficult to do in a real match, and require quite a bit of skill.
maybe, though WAC isn't difficult to use.(imo at least, maybe to others?)

Evilpenguin

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised that Pikachu's QAC isn't being discussed (at least not in the recent pages). That seems to fit pretty well for the last part of the hint. It's difficult to use effectively, but when it is used well, it gives Pikachu a great approach, which he doesn't normally.

It could also be Olimar... The whistle isn't exactly a technique, but it's difficult to use well, but very helpful when it is used well.

I'll go with Pikachu, though.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Sheik is out of the equation, she has mediocre KO ability.

About Pikachu vs ICs...

QAC is easy to use... much easier than the IC desynchs at least.

Also very easy KOs with ICs come only when you know how to chaingrab (''when you know how to use them well'') In that case ICs KO alot easier than Pika.

Their aerial game looks good at first glance because of the disjointed hitboxes. Pika's air game has crappy range.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
My guesses are either IC, Pikachu or Zelda. : /

I was inclined on choosing Ike at first though. These hints are way to general.

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
The only really hint that could be limited to one character was that unusual trick to cover up that character's weaknesses. The other hints were just really general. All I could think of is Pit's WoI Cancel, Bowsers infinite jump, and IC's desynching.

But i'm really limited in knowledge of other character's specific AT's outside of diddy.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Doomed to mid tier. Obviously Mario. Nintendo always makes him balanced. So he'll never suck and he will never be the best. Well, when it comes to killing w/o a problem is sounds more like Luigi.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I was thinking Mario up until I saw "because this character can KO without much of a problem." Mario can't really KO that well however, Luigi can usually kill around 100% and on top of that his Up-B can kill around 60%.

also for unusual strategies...I mean...come on...he's Luigi...

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Thinking pika or lucario.
Luc's aerials are the shizz, and his approaches are devastating, and he has no TRUE weaknesses that can be really taken advantage of. :\

It's Yoshi! boom! a winrar is me.
Bad Aerials? Wtf?

it's not IC, i'm going to say Fox
Lack of approaches? Wtf?

Doomed to mid tier. Obviously Mario. Nintendo always makes him balanced. So he'll never suck and he will never be the best. Well, when it comes to killing w/o a problem is sounds more like Luigi.
wtf?

It's the Ice Climbers. D:

Top Bottom