• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Zamus. I was quietly right about the last three, so i guess ill say Zamus.

(im not reading from the hint, im just verbally spewing my thoughts because i'm tired for once *shockhorror*)

She has what's generaly viewed as a not-so-good jab, the basic form of close-range attack in her case, although it used properly it's as great way to wittle up the damage meter in places.

Her long range game , whether it be her paralyser, plasma wire or whip (ber her f-smash, its only great when the enemies damage meter is high, and on the rare occasion to cover your back a little) is very good.

Her arials combo excellently, since zamus is one of the fastest movers around the battlefield, it gives some time to work around the opponent and chain a few attacks together. To me shes the basic 'go-to character' if you're going for combos at least.

endofverbalspew/

Browny

Smash Hater
This character is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible. But in reality, with enough persistance, this character can become a force to reckon with in the future. With a strong long range game and an awesome aerial game that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it right, this character can keep up with the rest. This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be the character's weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well. Although, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.
time for this again...

characters done... MK, snake, rob, link, gdorf, zelda, TL, dedede, G&W, wolf, diddy, falco

characters with no long range game... wario, bowser, cf, ike, jiggs, kirby, marth, PT, Sonic, ZSS

therefore characters left... Fox, IC, Lucario, Lucas, Luigi, Mario, Ness, Olimar, peach, pikachu, pit, samus, shiek, yoshi

Who here is seemed horrible on the surface... Lucario, Mario, Peach, Samus, shiek and Yoshi

samus and shiek have meh aerial games this time round, so I really cant decide between Lucario, Mario, Peach and Yoshi.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
Zamus. I was quietly right about the last three, so i guess ill say Zamus.

(im not reading from the hint, im just verbally spewing my thoughts because i'm tired for once *shockhorror*)

She has what's generaly viewed as a not-so-good jab, the basic form of close-range attack in her case, although it used properly it's as great way to wittle up the damage meter in places.

Her long range game , whether it be her paralyser, plasma wire or whip (ber her f-smash, its only great when the enemies damage meter is high, and on the rare occasion to cover your back a little) is very good.

Her arials combo excellently, since zamus is one of the fastest movers around the battlefield, it gives some time to work around the opponent and chain a few attacks together. To me shes the basic 'go-to character' if you're going for combos at least.

endofverbalspew/
Does Zamus look horrible on the surface? She never has to me, at least.

time for this again...

characters done... MK, snake, rob, link, gdorf, zelda, TL, dedede, G&W, wolf, diddy, falco

characters with no long range game... wario, bowser, cf, ike, jiggs, kirby, marth, PT, Sonic, ZSS

therefore characters left... Fox, IC, Lucario, Lucas, Luigi, Mario, Ness, Olimar, peach, pikachu, pit, samus, shiek, yoshi

Who here is seemed horrible on the surface... Lucario, Mario, Peach, Samus, shiek and Yoshi

samus and shiek have meh aerial games this time round, so I really cant decide between Lucario, Mario, Peach and Yoshi.
Lucario doesn't strike me as looking "horrible." Then again, he was the "Mewtwo replacement," who was seen as terrible. Meh.

Also, do some people think Mario's short game is his worst aspect? I can't imagine that being the case, as he doesn't have much in the long range (his fireball has uses, and that's what gets him by that "long range game" requirement for my liberal list.).

Yoshi, Shiek and Samus are my guesses.

I'm really not sure among them, but it's better to be wrong with your main than to miss your main. ;-)

BBQ°

Smash Champion
7/08/08

This character is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible. But in reality, with enough persistance, this character can become a force to reckon with in the future. With a strong long range game and an awesome aerial game that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it right, this character can keep up with the rest. This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be the character's weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well. Although, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.

Can you guess who next weeks character will be?
I think it is Sonic.

Underestimated? Yes, a lot of people view him as a low tier character.

Strong long range game? Maybe, his specials give him the range and can be spammed all across the stage. Although it isn't "strong" as in power, it's "strong" as in priority and spammability

Awesome aerial game? Yes, and you can combo with his aerials

Weak short range game? If short range can be interpreted as his ground game, then yes, it's pretty horrible. A lot of his smashes and tilts don't have range or power.

"Know how to use short range game well"? Pivot forward smash has increased range, so that's using it well.

Struggles to KO? YES. His smashes are hard to KO with. He relies a lot on his aerial game to KO.

thisismatt

Smash Cadet

My immediate thought was Sonic.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I'm thinking its Samus, here's why

This character is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible. Samus is considered low or bottom tier by most, and her poor power and floatiness makes her seem pretty badBut in reality, with enough persistance, this character can become a force to reckon with in the future. With a strong long range game Missiles, charge shot, bomb, and Zair are good for racking damage, and keeping others at bayand an awesome aerial game that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it rightHer aerials have non-existant post lag and knockback, so you can easily combo them into each other, this character can keep up with the rest. This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be the character's weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well. U-smash, tilts, zair, jab and grabs are good for close rangeAlthough, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.Samus only has d-tilt, f-smash, bair , dair spike for 100-130 is % KOs, u-tilt, charge shot,d-smash for 150% and up

Tenki

Smash Hero
Strangely enough, I thought of Sonic at first, too (lol, long range ==> camp mode?). But like I said before, I don't want it to be, because then it'll bring an influx of attention to the Sonic boards (hi mods lol), which means people might start looking at our haxtricks and then more people are gonna start maining Sonic and creating "lol guys i found a new tech" threads and it'll be the Ike boards all over again. He's also one of the few characters with multiple true-combos, as unbelievable as it might seem.

I'm thinking Samus.

For the reasons stated by the last post :/

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
This character is yet another underestimated one (Yoshi), who on the surface seems to be horrible (That's Yoshi... tourney standings especially help feed this impression). But in reality, with enough persistance, this character can become a force to reckon with in the future.(Meh, could be any lower character) With a strong long range game (eggspam) and an awesome aerial game (absolutely) that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it right (bair leads into bair or to a ground move like ftilt, which leads back into bair), this character can keep up with the rest. This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be the character's weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well. (It seems to be terrible because of Yoshi's poor out-of-shield options, but since he has enough range to stop most incoming attacks with any one of his tilts, he'll rarely end up shielding anyway. Jab and tilts basically just knock the opponent away into the zones where he functions better) Although, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh. (Yoshi's only kill moves are fsmash, utilt, and usmash, which get used somewhat often. At higher percentages (150%) dsmash and downB from the ground work just fine.)
I don't know that it's definitely Yoshi, but the post seems to fit it.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be the character's weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well. U-smash, tilts, zair, jab and grabs are good for close rangeAlthough, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.Samus only has d-tilt, f-smash, bair , dair spike for 100-130 is % KOs, u-tilt, charge shot,d-smash for 150% and up
Samus's close range game is better than her aerial game. Forward smash, down smash, up tilt, f-tilt, d-tilt, zair grabs >>> bair, up-air, dair, nair. I wouldn't say she has trouble KOing. She is a beast edgeguarder with charged shot, super missles, dair, and nair.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
yoshi ir Sonic.

This character is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible.
Captain Falcon.
Samus
Ganondorf
Sonic
yoshi
Jigglypuff.
These are characters who are not only underestimated but are considered horrible especially on the surface.
But in reality, with enough persistance, this character can become a force to reckon with in the future. With a strong long range game and an awesome aerial game that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it right, this character can keep up with the rest.
Yoshi has a good aerial game and good long range game.
Sonic has a good aerial game and his long range capabilities are pretty good with spinshotting and al his other moves.
Nothing catches a peson off guard than Sonic dashing toards you from long range then just stopping short of your smash or jab and then rushing into to punish you.
But I guess I am stretching things a bit.

I would say Samus but she doens't really combo with her aerial game and her long range game is not as strong as it used to be.

jigglypuff doesn't appear to have much ofa long range game either since she can't do much at long range.

This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be the character's weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well. Although, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.
Few doubt his close range game, that is where Yoshi wants the opponent to be and the purpose of his long range game. To force them in close.
Fast jabs and tilts and powerful smashes (though the Dsmash is poor) means his close range game is pretty good.

Sonic is considered horrible with the lack of priority, but his ability to punish, to combo show his close range game is really quite good despite hat people think.
His Fsmash can have its range increased and his Usmash has disjointed hitboxes,

However I would have to say it is Yoshi. Why?
His aerial game is a bit stronger than Sonic's and his close range game is pretty good.
He also has a good long range game.
The only reason I would lean to sonic is how people think his close range game sucks and how he lacks more KO moves and has difficulty in landing them.
Something yoshi does not struggle with such an issue as greatly.

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
I'm have to say Yoshi even though most of the first stuff can fit a few I must say I am always having trouble KOing on the ground or in the air if I haven't used enough different moves to keep atleast 1 or 2 moves strong enough to get the KO

kal2000

Smash Rookie
My first thought was lucario, although I'm not sure how good his close range game is as I don't play him much.
Yoshi looks promising too.

I don't see why when the hint clearly states that the character has a good "long range game," people still think it could be ike or sonic who have no long range moves whatsoever

I think that long range game does mean projectiles because if you're talking about spinshotting etc that just means that you might have good approaches whcih enables you to use your close range game

Jing)

Smash Apprentice
Samus's close range game is better than her aerial game. Forward smash, down smash, up tilt, f-tilt, d-tilt, zair grabs >>> bair, up-air, dair, nair. I wouldn't say she has trouble KOing. She is a beast edgeguarder with charged shot, super missles, dair, and nair.
you have never used or played someone that uses samus.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
yoshi ir Sonic.

Captain Falcon.
Samus
Ganondorf
Sonic
yoshi
Jigglypuff.
These are characters who are not only underestimated but are considered horrible especially on the surface.

Yoshi has a good aerial game and good long range game.
Sonic has a good aerial game and his long range capabilities are pretty good with spinshotting and al his other moves.
Nothing catches a peson off guard than Sonic dashing toards you from long range then just stopping short of your smash or jab and then rushing into to punish you.
But I guess I am stretching things a bit.

I would say Samus but she doens't really combo with her aerial game and her long range game is not as strong as it used to be.

jigglypuff doesn't appear to have much ofa long range game either since she can't do much at long range.

Few doubt his close range game, that is where Yoshi wants the opponent to be and the purpose of his long range game. To force them in close.
Fast jabs and tilts and powerful smashes (though the Dsmash is poor) means his close range game is pretty good.

Sonic is considered horrible with the lack of priority, but his ability to punish, to combo show his close range game is really quite good despite hat people think.
His Fsmash can have its range increased and his Usmash has disjointed hitboxes,

However I would have to say it is Yoshi. Why?
His aerial game is a bit stronger than Sonic's and his close range game is pretty good.
He also has a good long range game.
The only reason I would lean to sonic is how people think his close range game sucks and how he lacks more KO moves and has difficulty in landing them.
Something yoshi does not struggle with such an issue as greatly.

Sonic doesn't have a projectile, but your evidence leads me to believe that this one will be Yoshi, with a slight chance that it is samus.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I would consider "long range game" to mean projectiles.

Sonic has a good "approach game."

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
This character is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible.
Peach. Everyone thinks she blows now (except Peach fans like me :D) They see her lack of Float Cancelling and crazy nerfed D-Smash and just walk away.
But in reality, with enough persistance, this character can become a force to reckon with in the future. With a strong long range game and an awesome aerial game that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it right, this character can keep up with the rest.
Peach's aerial game has to be one best. Despite the lack of Float Cancelling, there are huge auto-cancel windows for all of her aerials that allow her to combo quickly from air to ground. Also, all of her aerials have relatively short start-up lag or non (like the N-Air). Spaced float-approaches with F-Air and D-Air supplement her approach game well. Her long range game translates into her Turnip use, F-Tilt, and U-Tilt.
This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be the character's weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well.
Short range game is quite nice given Peach's fast jab, F-Tilt's range, U-Tilts disjointed hitbox, speed, and crazy priority. D-Smash was weakened, but it still works well as a shield stab and roll/spot dodge punish. D-Throw and F-Throw have short knockback allowing for easier follow ups.
Although, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.
F-Air, B-Air, and N-Air will get used so often in the match that they'll be decayed as hell. F-Smash remains her best option after that for the easier KO. Other moves can KO also, but not until the high 100's to low 200%, assuming you haven't decay them also.

KingK

Smash Apprentice
1. This character is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible.
Sounds like they are probably a Low or Bottom Tier character. List from this hint: Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Samus, Yoshi, Ike, Bowser, Mario and maybe Sonic?

2. But in reality, with enough persistance, this character can become a force to reckon with in the future.
Too vague to get anything from this part. They've said this in many of the last few ones.

3. With a strong long range game and an awesome aerial game that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it right, this character can keep up with the rest.
After this part I'm thinking Yoshi, or maybe Sonic. Although, the "long range" part only applies to Sonic if you consider the use of his specials as ranged moves. They really do count more as approaches though. However, besides Yoshi I can't think of any other characters that actually have good projectiles (that haven't been talked about yet) that would fit this part of the hint.

4. This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be the character's weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well.
Sounds about right for Yoshi (tilts), though Sonic could maybe fit here? I'm not sure.

5. Although, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.
Yoshi and Sonic definitely fit into this category. Though to be fair, many characters have this problem.

I think it's Yoshi, though it could be Sonic.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I think Peach is a good guess based on stealthsushi's post.

I'd like to introduce the possibility of Ness being #13 as well. I don't think everything fits, in that I don't think he was ever considered horrible (though Lucas was heavily favored for a long while), and due to the Deathgrab issue, he really isn't a force to reckon in the future.

Having said that, other parts do match up.

- PK Fire, PK Thunder, and PK Flash make his long range game. Mainly, PK Thunder is excellent in chasing opponents, edgeguarding them, and initiating PK Thunder 2, which can destroy unsuspecting opponents. PK Fire can be a nuisuance and limit approach options. PK Flash is always a nice option for pressuring off-staged foes or even make people think twice about approaching from high in the air.

- Ness's aerial game is one of the best things about him. All of his aerials auto-cancel quite well and NAir, FAir, and even DAir can be used in combos. BAir can be use too, but it works much better as a finisher. UAir can do the same, though not as well; Even then, it provides a good vert KO option.

- Ness's short range game looks lame with pretty low range and F-Smash really being the only viable KO option. On the other hand, D-tilt can hit multiple times and trip opponents, F-Tilt can knock 'em away and help distance Ness. F-Smash reflects projectiles and is still pretty good when combined with PK Fire. U-Smash and D-Smash are able to stay out and block projectiles and even catch approaching foes, limiting their options.

- BAir, UAir, Back Throw, DAir, F-Smash, PK Thunder 2, PK Flash. These are Ness's most recognized finishers. The latter 3 are either very situational or difficult to connect. That leaves the former three. BAir and Back Throw are definitely Ness's best KO options. UAir is good, but slightly telegraphed. DAir is supposed to be the best spike in the game, but it's quite difficult to land. Overall that leaves only two truly reliable finishers. Back Throw pretty much CAN'T be used if one is expected to KO the opponent quickly. BAir can be saved, but it's such a great aerial that it's tough not to take advantage of it, so it'll rarely be completely fresh. Every other KO option is pretty situational.

ShenCS

Smash Cadet
My first thought was Olimar, with his dependance on his B move to even attack (minus a few) meaning he's under-estimated and seen as horrible, but has a great long range game and his short range attacks are powerful with the right Pikmin.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Peach. Everyone thinks she blows now (except Peach fans like me :D) They see her lack of Float Cancelling and crazy nerfed D-Smash and just walk away.
Peach's aerial game has to be one best. Despite the lack of Float Cancelling, there are huge auto-cancel windows for all of her aerials that allow her to combo quickly from air to ground. Also, all of her aerials have relatively short start-up lag or non (like the N-Air). Spaced float-approaches with F-Air and D-Air supplement her approach game well. Her long range game translates into her Turnip use, F-Tilt, and U-Tilt.
This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be the character's weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well.
Short range game is quite nice given Peach's fast jab, F-Tilt's range, U-Tilts disjointed hitbox, speed, and crazy priority. D-Smash was weakened, but it still works well as a shield stab and roll/spot dodge punish. D-Throw and F-Throw have short knockback allowing for easier follow ups.
Although, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.
F-Air, B-Air, and N-Air will get used so often in the match that they'll be decayed as hell. F-Smash remains her best option after that for the easier KO. Other moves can KO also, but not until the high 100's to low 200%, assuming you haven't decay them also.
I was thinking peach, and this sealed it for me.

Mmac

Smash Lord
It's most likely Yoshi, Samus, or Peach, with the most likely to least likely in that order. I really doubt it's Olimar, because he's hardly ever considered Underestimated or even Horrible

mirkdddlhppr

Smash Cadet
Mario?

He is HUGELY underestimated due to his inability to KO, his close range game, etc.

He does have a great aerial game though, what with his Bair, Uair, Nair, and Dair.

Fireball approach, cape, his Dsmash and Fsmash his only real kill moves...sounds like our italian boy that's NOT overshadowed. Lol.

ChaoticSamus

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking Yoshi, Samus, or Peach. Sonic isnt really underesthmated like these 3. People consider these three, especially Samus, bad/horrible. Peach and Yoshi have a great aerial, Samus...not so much. They all have little KO moves

Top Bottom