• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Tenki

Smash Hero
But how many Non-Yoshi user's say that he has potential? I see all the time about people saying that he has no potential. Hell, I still hear people who say that he's the Worse Character in the game!
You still can't argue against the Ike boards saying that Ike has no potential. When your core group starts going around doing that, you know it's bad lol.

Down-B can catch people off guard. It happens to me, too.

Also, Ike's counter usually doesn't work as a counter due to its startup time for the counterframes, and, sometimes, startup to its actual attack :[

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Lol, anyone who's saying "I don't see Ike being able to counter MK" is actually proving its Ike even more.

Surprisingly enough, this character may even have the potential to put up a fight against characters like MK, but not many people would attest to that.
Also, note "potential to put up a fight", not "currently dominating all MK's in a 30 mile radius". He wouldn't even need to be a counter to have to "put up a fight", but some of you automatically assumed so.

I support Brock Obama.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
This does sound VERY much like Ike. I'd say Yoshi and Ness are other possibilities, but this seems to fit Ike to a T.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
The annotations in that vid were way too funny Tenki.

Anyways, Ike sounds like a really good guess. Sonic actually seems very plausible to me as well, although Ike is definately a better guess.

Lemme break it down for these two guesses:

Many people are convinced that this character has no potential:
Fits both Sonic and Ike, perfectly. Not even these characters' respective boards ahve much faith in them.

and have barely put time into learning the character:
*Sighs*, so many Ike+Sonic noobs.

But it seems a select few have seen this character's potential, and are taking it to the next level:
Although I don't know any specific data for Ike tournament wise, I have played a few really good Ikes, and I have seen some as well. As for Sonic, I definately know there are some amazing Sonics around. Mr. 3000 did afterall place 3rd in a tournament of 88 using Sonic, among so many other likely high/top tier characters.

Surprisingly enough, this character may even have the potential to put up a fight against characters like MK, but not many people would attest to that.
Not sure about Ike, although it certainly seems Ike has some options against meta because of his superior range and absurd killing power. As for Sonic, for me personally I don't see the MK match-up as being hard, but I'm like the only one =P. However Mr. 3000 it seems went against some good MKs and placed well. Also, the hint says "like" metaknight, which means that might not be exclusive to the MK match-up.

With effective tilts, smashes, and aerials that can be punished if missed or blocked, you should make every attack with this character count.
Fits Ike perfectly. if you connect with any of those attacks, then your opponent is in for hurting. Fsmash=Instadeath. However they are definately all very punishable. This could also apply well for Sonic, although not to a lesser extent. His aerials especially are punishable if shielded or missed. For both Sonic and Ike, every attack counts, but again moreso with Ike.

This character also has some specials that are not simply good, but are nearly essential to using this character well, and can be used for catching the opponent by surprise.
UpB, SideB and B are totally essential for Ike. I haven't seen Ike's use DownB much so I dunno about that, but the hint says "some" specials anyways, so it doesn't necesarily mean he needs to use all his specials. And Sonic of course is defined for his specials, so its equally applicable for both.

A single mistake can put you on the defensive for quite a while, and could even lead to your death if the opponent is good at edgeguarding.
The first part is equally applicable for both. As for the second part, its pretty obvious for Ike. Most people wouldn't think that of Sonic because his UpB is an amazing recovery, but if you grab Sonic out of his UpB near the edge, then he is doomed. Likewise, his UpB doesn't auto sweetspot, so if you can get Sonic low enough so he needs to grab the edge, he can have a tough time. I have not however seen many Sonics fall for that.

So yea. My guesses are Ike 80%, Sonic 20%

Tenki

Smash Hero
I hope it's not Sonic.

The Sonic boards are rotting too much recently.

Sliq

Smash Master
Next one is Bowser. I know this because Samurai Panda knows that I play Bowser and that I am awesome. End thread.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Seriously. I miss the intelligent discussion on the Sonic boards, lol.

Bowser? Definately fits well in many categories, but I haven't even really seen anyone bring out his potential(although of course it does say only a select few have), nor do I think he fits any better in these categories than Ike.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
My guess for this week is ike. Huge range, amazing KO power, devasting tilts and smashes (though hard to hit with in lag). And if his moves are missed or blocked the ending lag pretty much screws him if the other character takes advantage of it. And lots of people don't really think he has that much potential. With his awesome range on many attacks, he wouldn't be that bad of a matchup for a character like Meta Knight.

One thing that keeps nagging at me that Ike isn't correct is the fact that this character can catch opponents by surprise with his/her specials. I mean, their kind of essential, but I don't think anyone can get caught offguard by his specials, excluding the counter obviously.

As for Sonic and Yoshi, I'm going to have to say probably not for sonic and maybe for Yoshi. Neither of their specials are that good, which fits the bill, though I think Yoshi's have more potential to surprise people than sonic's do. Neither of them are good matchups against meta knight. Yoshi can be edgeguarded easily, and his tilts/smashes/aerials are all pretty effective as well.

isomorphism

Smash Cadet
Sounds like Bowser, but then again, the last one sounded like ZSS, so who knows? Definitely not Olimar given the "some people think this character has no potential" part; in fact, the only part that screams Olimar in there is the edgeguarding.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
i say lucario, azen is ****** **** up against everyone on EC with lucario.
I don't think its Lucario...he isn't a good match-up for meta knight. And his neutral and forward specials are definetly not bad.

And Lucario is not only being used by a select few, Lucario's are fairly common in tournaments these days and doing well (Azen, d. disciple, among others).

Popertop

Smash Champion
This is Bowser hands down.
Ftilt goes through Tornado and outranges a majority of Meta's moves.
Up-B OoS catches a lot of stuff and overrides dsmash with invincibility frames i think.
Claw hop catches them off guard.
Powerful aerials and such used for punishment? Yes plz.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Ike

Bowser has great special moves, I don think I've heard people ***** about his specials. Ike has some rather crappy specials like QD and Eruption, but they have their uses.

This has gotta be Ike, or at least some kind of a heavy character.

isomorphism

Smash Cadet
Ike

Bowser has great special moves, I don think I've heard people ***** about his specials. Ike has some rather crappy specials like QD and Eruption, but they have their uses.

The hint doesn't say the character has bad specials:
SamuraiPanda said:
This character also has some specials that are not simply good, but are nearly essential to using this character well, and can be used for catching the opponent by surprise.
"Not simply good, but nearly essential" != "not good."

Popertop

Smash Champion
Ike

The hint says not only good, but essential to playing the character.

Side-B.

Don't you remember when everyone was johning about getting caught by the Flying Slam?
18% fresh? Oh man! Claw hop towards > turnaround claw hop catches a lot of people.
Even Side-B OoS works wonders. His Down B is REALLY STRONG now, killing at like 90%.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Neither of them are good matchups against meta knight.
Well Define a good matchup against MetaKnight. Nobody really has a good matchup against him (Except for maybe ROB). To me, a "Good" Matchup is someone who is Neutral or 6:4 Disadvantage against him. Yoshi actually has a Neutral Matchup against MetaKnight (No Joke) Thanks to his Pivots, and it really comes down to who is the better skilled and smarter player. I still say that Ike has a bigger problem with people edgeguarding him than Yoshi (A good Yoshi is actually surprising hard to intercept).

I don't think it's DK, he was just unpopular. Plus he doesn't really fit in with everything else (None of his Tilts are punishable). Bowser maybe, but Ike and Yoshi fit the hints better. Plus I think most people know he has some potential (Though I maybe wrong). And I'm for certain it's not Olimar, Pit, or Lucario.

I say Ike = Yoshi > Bowser > Sonic.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Update #17: ?????

8/04/08

Many people are convinced that this character has no potential, and have barely put time into learning the character. But it seems a select few have seen this character's potential, and are taking it to the next level. Surprisingly enough, this character may even have the potential to put up a fight against characters like MK, but not many people would attest to that. With effective tilts/smashes/aerials that can be punished if missed or blocked, you should make every attack with this character count. This character also has some specials that are not simply good, but are nearly essential to using this character well, and can be used for catching the opponent by surprise. Even with all of these attributes, taking this character to the next level requires skill, patience, and consistency. A single mistake can put you on the defensive for quite a while, and could even lead to your death if the opponent is good at edgeguarding.

It is DK for sure, he can do good against MK!

Mmac

Smash Lord
"Not simply good, but nearly essential" != "not good."
I think they mean that the Special isn't really good (Ie. it's a below average special attack compared to the other specials), but you still need to learn how to use it well because it's important to that character's game.

Yoshi's UpB Eggs is a perfect example of this. Yoshi's Eggs are a pretty average projectile, but it's still important to learn how to use.

Edit:
It is DK for sure, he can do good against MK!
DK isn't the only one who can do good against MetaKnight. There's actually quite a bit of people who can actually do well against MetaKnight.

Plus everyone knows by now that DK matches MetaKnight, but how many actually know (or even believe) Yoshi does just as good against him? Hell I even heard Link actually does well too

Top Bottom