• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
While everyone seems to disagree with my mindset, I still think Ivysaur fits the description far better than any of the other characters mentioned. Please do not respond by saying PT is one character. Use any other reasoning than that to disprove Ivysaur.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
While everyone seems to disagree with my mindset, I still think Ivysaur fits the description far better than any of the other characters mentioned. Please do not respond by saying PT is one character. Use any other reasoning than that to disprove Ivysaur.
"A single mistake can put you on the defensive for awhile."

Ivysaur is almost always on the defensive, and plays best when used defensively. This statement states that the character is best played offensively, but a single mistake could lead to him being pressured extensively.

Bowser is a very good character for this hint. Bowser is usually played best in a rush-down offense making use of his gigantic hitboxes and spacing. However, a single opening in his offense will lead to him being the pressured character.

On the flip side, however, Bowser is never put on the defensive for long due to his amazing OoS option (The Spinning Fortress). However, this move is only an option OoS, so aerial combos still put him on the defensive.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
I was trying to make the case that it fits Ike more than the Mother boys.

A counterattack that has a long startup for counter AND invincibility frames?? I've seen more use for any of the Mother boys' specials than that.

Super armor on moves like Eruption that require you to stand still, but can be worth it if you can use it correctly.

I can kinda understand it being Bowser, since he's alot more specials-based than Ike is. Ike just spaces with F-air and N-air most of the time, with specials thrown in once in a while, but Bowser makes heavy use of his.
What? I don't care who you're campaigning for, but it seems you're trying to make the case that the hint claims that the character's special moves are "not good." This is what I was talking about. The hint says the specials are good.

Read hint.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
No one thinks Wario has "no potential". That sham went away after shELL and Futile ***** the MLG Brawl ladder.

It's more than likely DK (YES). DK is a beast, but it's kinda hard for him to gain momentum when on defense against some characters. Plus his vertical recovery is absolutely pathetic...still extremely fun to play as.
I find it ironic that you pose DK immediately after barring Wario for not having "no potential."

Balls. If only you could delete posts...

10doubleposts

ALSO, the hint is a bit ambiguous when it says that "this character may even have the potential to put up a fight against characters like MK..."

This could mean either this character "has potential against good characters, an example of which is MK," or that this character "has potential against characters similar to MK."

EarthWindandFire

Smash Rookie
Mario ain't #17.
Fireballs are simple but slightly effective spam to use while
camping. The FLUDD can slow down recoveries (but NOT all),
which makes it a good edgeguarding tool against specific chars.
The Cape REVERSES air DI of the opponent, so combine it with
the FLUDD and Mario could be an edgebeast.

..#18 is simply Yoshi.

Sliq

Smash Master
It is 100% without a doubt BOWSER. End the discussion until he is discussed.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I really can't see how it could be DK. Why? Because the only people who don't think DK has potential have their heads stuffed so far up their rectums that hydrochloric acid is burning their faces off. They are wearing big, **** off earmuffs and cupping their hands around their eyes while they look straight at Dedede's infinite chain grab; they don't even see what is good about him. I doubt these philistines are really being included in Panda's consideration, and only if I'm wrong about that doubt could DK fit into that hint.

washy

Smash Apprentice
Dk is B rank on the character rating chart, its not him.

I think its charizrad

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to keep guessing Ness until I get it right. >_> And if it isn't Ness, I'm going to guess it's Bowser. He's definitely underestimated, and his Fire Breath might be a good approach against MK.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
Dk is B rank on the character rating chart, its not him.

I think its charizrad
Hi sandman

Anyways, I don't think its Zard. The SBR is most likely going to clump all three guys from PT into one. But that may be just me.

washy

Smash Apprentice
oh hey jibaku

yeah , i'm thinking pkmn trainer will be all three of them together, but each having their own separate descriptions, and then a final paragraph summarizing how good they are as a whole.

I think its ike now, but not because of what i said above

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Hi sandman

Anyways, I don't think its Zard. The SBR is most likely going to clump all three guys from PT into one. But that may be just me.
I don't think it's Charzard myself, but please stop assuming a fighter isn't an option simply because he is a part of a larger character. We will probably miss the hint outright with this mindset. Besides, how on earth would Samurai Panda make an unobvious hint for Pokemon Trainer?

Popertop

Smash Champion
I'm going to keep guessing Ness until I get it right. >_> And if it isn't Ness, I'm going to guess it's Bowser. He's definitely underestimated, and his Fire Breath might be a good approach against MK.
I did a thourough write up of "Why this hint is Bowser" a couple pages back, go read it.
Also, Ftilt goes through whorenado. For some reason the fire doesn't beat it. >.>' <.<' I dunno either.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Update #17: ?????

8/04/08

Many people are convinced that this character has no potential, and have barely put time into learning the character. But it seems a select few have seen this character's potential, and are taking it to the next level. Surprisingly enough, this character may even have the potential to put up a fight against characters like MK, but not many people would attest to that. With effective tilts/smashes/aerials that can be punished if missed or blocked, you should make every attack with this character count. This character also has some specials that are not simply good, but are nearly essential to using this character well, and can be used for catching the opponent by surprise. Even with all of these attributes, taking this character to the next level requires skill, patience, and consistency. A single mistake can put you on the defensive for quite a while, and could even lead to your death if the opponent is good at edgeguarding.

Can you guess who next week's character is?
Finally, a challenging hint. This hint could be many characters, but I'm thinking it's Yoshi this time.

I hate how so many people disrespect Yoshi. "HE SUX" "BOTTOM TIRE LOL". He isn't half bad if you get to know him. Sure, a lot of other characters are better than he is, but he doesn't suck. Some Yoshi mains, such as Chaco and Bigman, are finding and learning a lot of Yoshi techs. Dragonic Reverse is a technique that basically allows Yoshi to wavedash - a characteristic that no other character in the game has.

I usually lurk the Yoshi boards because I like the community there, and I've seen the match-up post about Metaknight. Surprisingly, this match-up is fairly close, being about 55:45 in MK's favor. I don’t think Metaknight is going to worry about Yoshi and start thinking of counter tactics, but the Yoshi board will, giving them an advantage and hopefully making the match-up neutral or maybe in Yoshi’s favor.

Yoshi’s special moves appear to be made of crap at first, but did you know that Yoshi’s down-b is actually one of his best killing moves? His neutral b on the edge forces opponents to DI towards the stage, which leaves them open to get hit by a dair which does over 9000 damage. His up-b is one of the only few projectiles that can be controlled, it does decent damage, and is easily spammed. You can also ledge stall with this move while the opponent has to worry about not getting hit by the eggs. Although his up-b is bottom tier in terms of recovery, he still gains distance with it, maybe more or about the same distance as olimar’s up-b. In my opinion, side-b is his worst special, but it can be a move to mix up his ground game, and it has decent priority from what I’ve heard.

Being in a defensive position for Yoshi is why he is considered so bad. He’s got a terribly slow roll dodge, he can’t up-smash out of a shield, and he can’t jump out of his shield. Basically, when Yoshi is put into a defensive position, he has the worst options in the game. Why did Sakurai do this? Probably to “balance” out the fact that Yoshi’s shield does not shrink. But still, I’m sure any Yoshi main would rather prefer a normal shield than an egg shield.

Death if edgeguarded? Yes, footstool jump eats Yoshi’s only real recovery, but a good Yoshi will know how to avoid footstools. I actually find that Yoshi’s recovery is one of the harder ones to gimp because he has a lot of direction control and good “gtfo” aerial attacks.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I left that out purposefully because I felt any character except maybe Metaknight can be punished for missing an attack.

And now that I think about it, Yoshi could be punished pretty badly for missing an attack. If you missed an attack with Yoshi, the opponent will have an opportunity to start pressuring/attacking back Yoshi. This means that Yoshi will be forced to play defensively, which is bad (explained in my post above).

Mmac

Smash Lord
Just one question - Is Yoshi particularly punishable? Is there a reason yoshi's attacks must hit with more accuracy than the attacks of other characters?
Only a number of Yoshi's attacks are really punishable. Ftilt, Fsmash, Dsmash, Fair, UpB, DownB, and his Standing/Running Grabs.

I'm not sure who it really is. All the possible characters don't really fit 100% completely into the hint.

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
Look at my name, look at my avatar. Look at my main. Now look away.

That's who is next.

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
Yoshimitsu isn't in Brawl I'm afraid.
Dang! I don't know what I was thinking. XP (j/k. Posting this so the smartasses don't attack.)

Its that green dinosaur that lays eggs and eats things. Yeah that's the one! XB

kkkoala

Smash Cadet
its been quite said that pt is gonna b 1 char, and no ivysaur is a purely defencive person...

yoshi absolutely fits the description completely and betterly than any1 else

ike: not all his b's r useful. sideB is horrendus vs any1 whos ever played vs ike b4. it gets sheildgrabbed every time on the floor, u die when some1 takes the hit offstage, and u die vs ddd if hes using B. his downb is quite useful but thats undebated and not completely nessesary for u to b good @ him. his b is ok if u know how 2 use it but fsmash takes its place in terms of charge up moves, and b is rly only good as an airial mix up. his upb is a normal vertical recovery move ands extremely punishable if u miss w/it (and its got horrible range) onstage.

bowser: his b is unessesary imo, his upb is normal horizontal recov and is too weak to bother w/for onstage mixup, his downb is way too slow, however his overb is a huge part of bowsers game... BUT the hint was plural when refering to the chars b moves.

also, both of those chars have a decent defencive game and are lucky if they get to play it, and in no way are they put on a huge disadvantage by being put on d...

yoshi has the worste defencive options in the game, 1 of the worste recovs in the game as its still a second jump based one as although hes got good di hes no jiggly, all of his aproaches ud better hit w/or ur getting punished, on the surface all of his b's suck alot but u do gotta use them, and hes by far lower teir than almost every char as hes like falcon and is a joke char.

also, IKE AND BOWSER HAVE NO CHANCE VS MK, YOSHI ON THE OTHER HAND HAS A CG VS MK

rinoH

Smash Lord
im guessing yoshi cuz mk cant really gimp yoshi when he uses his 2nd jump(cuz of super armor frame) and yoshi's aerialshave somelag

Top Bottom