• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Snail

Smash Lord
LOL

Up B obv is and if you play any ranged spammer you know that over B is great and can even kill at some percents and down B is also good if you use it surprisingly his reg B is the only move that really is in some ways bad but if you do it right while your both off the stage its good.

and for jiggs well almost any move if you miss is punishable
If you play any half decent person, side B is just going to get you owned if you roll at them just like that. Down B is rather predictable, neutral b sucks because any moron can break out in half a second, and up B... Well, okay, up+b is useful, but the hint said some specials, not one.

Seriously, Yoshi's specials aren't horrible but they're nowhere near essential to playing Yoshi except possibly Up+B.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
If you play any half decent person, side B is just going to get you owned if you roll at them just like that. Down B is rather predictable, neutral b sucks because any moron can break out in half a second, and up B... Well, okay, up+b is useful, but the hint said some specials, not one.

Seriously, Yoshi's specials aren't horrible but they're nowhere near essential to playing Yoshi except possibly Up+B.
Down-b is not predictable if used from the ground. It's also a decent killing move. Neutral B is not to be used at low percents where it can be escaped quickly. Down-b can also be used for ledge stalls (which are still not banned).

Snail

Smash Lord
Down-b is not predictable if used from the ground. It's also a decent killing move. Neutral B is not to be used at low percents where it can be escaped quickly. Down-b can also be used for ledge stalls (which are still not banned).
As for killing, Yoshi has better options than a long animation of leaping up and falling back down. And neutral B isn't getting anyone off the edge, nor have I ever seen it used off-stage, but perhaps I'm wrong there.

As I said, the moves are not bad, just not essential, where the hint specified that the special moves were not only good, but essential. I bet it's not too hard to play a Yoshi match without using Forward B, down B and neutral B a single time while I can't imagine playing Bowser without Whirling Fortress and Koopa Claw.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
As for killing, Yoshi has better options than a long animation of leaping up and falling back down.
Please fight Bigman, Chaco, or Mmac, and then come back and tell me that.

And neutral B isn't getting anyone off the edge, nor have I ever seen it used off-stage, but perhaps I'm wrong there.
It's not supposed to be used to get anyone off the edge. Basically if you get swallowed near the edge, you're forced to DI onto the stage which gives Yoshi a free down-aerial.

As I said, the moves are not bad, just not essential, where the hint specified that the special moves were not only good, but essential. I bet it's not too hard to play a Yoshi match without using Forward B, down B and neutral B a single time while I can't imagine playing Bowser without Whirling Fortress and Koopa Claw.
At all of the Yoshi's I've played and seen on youtube, none of them went a match without using up-b or down-b. Neutral B and Side-b are of course his worst b-moves, but can still be used "for catching the opponent by surprise".

Snail

Smash Lord
Please fight Bigman, Chaco, or Mmac, and then come back and tell me that.
I'll have to admit I've never heard of those people, but wouldn't simply Fsmashing an opponent be better than that DownB thing? <__<

It's not supposed to be used to get anyone off the edge. Basically if you get swallowed near the edge, you're forced to DI onto the stage which gives Yoshi a free down-aerial.
Or DI off the stage and jump back. Hey hey :D Except if you're playing Olimar or something. Fun move but essential? >_>

At all of the Yoshi's I've played and seen on youtube, none of them went a match without using up-b or down-b. Neutral B and Side-b are of course his worst b-moves, but can still be used "for catching the opponent by surprise".
The hint never said they couldn't use those moves in a match. The hint says the moves are essential. Yoshi's specials may be fun and useful but I heavily doubt they're essential :/

Now maybe I'm putting too much weight on the essential thing. If it's Yoshi after all, I'll write you an apology letter :D But I'm sticking with Bowser because it simply fits better.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
A single mistake can put you on the defensive for quite a while, and could even lead to your death if the opponent is good at edgeguarding.
I think this quote from the hint seals the deal that it's Yoshi. Do people not understand that Yoshi has terrible shield options, and characters like Bowser don't? Bowser has up-b out of a shield, Yoshi can't up-smash or jump out of a shield, WHICH MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

Snail

Smash Lord
I think this quote from the hint seals the deal that it's Yoshi. Do people not understand that Yoshi has terrible shield options, and characters like Bowser don't? Bowser has up-b out of a shield, Yoshi can't up-smash or jump out of a shield, WHICH MAKES A DIFFERENCE.
True, except Yoshi isn't slow like hell as bowser, nor can he be "comboed" as easily. Shielding is not the same as a single mistake. A mistake is getting hit. And getting hit is a lot more dangerous to Bowser than it is to Yoshi most of the time.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I'll have to admit I've never heard of those people, but wouldn't simply Fsmashing an opponent be better than that DownB thing? <__<
Lawl, you never heard of me? In fact, weren't you just contesting against me at one point?

and there's a huge difference between Half a Second, to Instant. Point Blank Ground DownB's is a completely underestimated move, and it works surprising well against people in the air too.

I'm not contesting against Bowser, but it could be any of the 3 (Bowser, Ike, Yoshi)

BBQ°

Smash Champion
For your own knowledge, they're referred to the best Yoshis on smashboards. Down-b can be comboed into and since it can be used from the air, it makes it more useful than forward smash. Keep in mind that since this is one of his killing moves it won't be used so that it will be predictable.

Or DI off the stage and jump back. Hey hey :D Except if you're playing Olimar or something. Fun move but essential? >_>
Definitely not "essential", but I do believe the hint says "some specials". It also says "can be used for catching the opponent by surprise" ... this is what smashwiki has to say about Yoshi's egg lay (which was written by the same people that made the hint) "Egg Lay can catch opponents by surprise".
If you still have doubts about Yoshi's side-b and it's priority, here is smashwiki on the subject:
"Can achieve great speed with Egg Roll, which also has high enough priority to cancel most attacks when going top speed"

The hint never said they couldn't use those moves in a match. The hint says the moves are essential. Yoshi's specials may be fun and useful but I heavily doubt they're essential :/
Again the hint says "some specials". If you don't agree with that then I'll expect you to back-up how bowser's down b is essential.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
True, except Yoshi isn't slow like hell as bowser, nor can he be "comboed" as easily. Shielding is not the same as a single mistake. A mistake is getting hit. And getting hit is a lot more dangerous to Bowser than it is to Yoshi most of the time.
Yeah, but the hint says

a single mistake can put you on the defensive for quite a while
being on the defensive for quite a while is somewhere Yoshi does not want to be, since he can't handle it as well as other characters. This is what I was talking about where Bowser can easily escape the defensive position easier because of up-b out of shield.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
i dont see how yoshi's tilts/smashes/aerials are punishable so i dont think its him

i think its bowser

Snail

Smash Lord
For your own knowledge, they're referred to the best Yoshis on smashboards. Down-b can be comboed into and since it can be used from the air, it makes it more useful than forward smash. Keep in mind that since this is one of his killing moves it won't be used so that it will be predictable.

Definitely not "essential", but I do believe the hint says "some specials". It also says "can be used for catching the opponent by surprise" ... this is what smashwiki has to say about Yoshi's egg lay (which was written by the same people that made the hint) "Egg Lay can catch opponents by surprise".
If you still have doubts about Yoshi's side-b and it's priority, here is smashwiki on the subject:
"Can achieve great speed with Egg Roll, which also has high enough priority to cancel most attacks when going top speed"

Again the hint says "some specials". If you don't agree with that then I'll expect you to back-up how bowser's down b is essential.
Okay, you win -.-. I don't know enough about Yoshi to refute all your arguments. So... Could be Bowser or Yoshi. I'll go read a Yoshi guide now. Bye. <_<

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
It's probably bowser. Yoshi has quick tilts and a good down smash, and he has pretty good aerials so it's probably not him. Ike doesn't rely on his specials as much as bowser, only "good" special is aether. eruption and quick draw can be useful SOMETIMES.

infomon

Smash Scientist
This is what I was talking about where Bowser can easily escape the defensive position easier because of up-b out of shield.
Except that when Bowser's gone defensive, he can't get into his shield. He's a slow, massive hurtbox; if you land one hit on him, you can probably get in a bunch more before he's able to do anything about it. Once he's in air, he can't escape a whole lot by airdodging. He can't easily defend by using his attacks, because their hitboxes still leave most of him exposed. If his shield gets down any, then most characters can find a way to poke at him around it, because he's just so big.

I deffo think it's Bowser this week, and not Yoshi. Consider the hint,
"With effective tilts/smashes/aerials that can be punished if missed or blocked"

Two of Yoshi's aerials are frantic multi-hits that you can't really defend by blocking, also his other aerials and tilts aren't that punishable. If you miss anything with Bowser, you're going to get smacked around.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
To all the people that think this is Bowser:

This character also has some specials that are not simply good
Can you please explain how Boswer has "not simply good" specials? Bowsers specials are great (except down-b).

Clevr

Smash Apprentice
There's no real need to argue. Both Yoshi and Bowser match Panda's description, and we'll only find out when they post next week.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I just don't know anymore

Yoshi: Too good Tilts/Smashes/Airs that most of them can't be punished?
Ike: Not good against Top Tier Characters?
Bowser: Already has potential and Specials too good?
Sonic: Recovery Good and not easy to edgeguard?

It seems like the hint fits none of these characters. I would actually believe Ivysaur, but I'm with the "They would put them together" crowd.

Or maybe i'm just thinking too hard

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman

Can you please explain how Boswer has "not simply good" specials? Bowsers specials are great (except down-b).
your misunderstanding the hint. it says "This character also has some specials that are not simply good, but are nearly essential to using this character well"

That means that they are good.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

this has been discussed so many times now.

"not simply good, but essential", which means they aren't just good, they are absolutely essential to his style. Course if people could freaking read around here, I wouldn't be restating this.

God the intelligence here is amazing.

xiferp

Smash Apprentice
lol@taking things out of context. I agree with people saying Bowser.

Danteh

Smash Cadet
OMG I saw the light xD. It's NESS

Many people are convinced that this character has no potential, and have barely put time into learning the character.

Yeah

With effective tilts/smashes/aerials that can be punished if missed or blocked, you should make every attack with this character count.

Land a bat in the face and you win, have it dodged and it sucks. Same as the aerials, dair is very punishable but nice when it lands. Dtilt is ok for tripping.

This character also has some specials that are not simply good, but are nearly essential to using this character well, and can be used for catching the opponent by surprise.

Um more obvious???. PK Thunder is essential for Ness and the sentence "can be used for catching the opponent by surprise" is omgperfect, you can land lots of nasty PKT2's by surprise.

Even with all of these attributes, taking this character to the next level requires skill, patience, and consistency.

Ness has always been considered quite difficult to play.

A single mistake can put you on the defensive for quite a while, and could even lead to your death if the opponent is good at edgeguarding.

Obviously is obvious, if your opponent knows how to edgeguard Ness's recovery is one of the most vulnerable to this.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
im seriously getting tired of you yoshi mains. not to be mean or anything but for the last iunno 5? character guesses (not captain falcon of course) You guys went on rants about yoshi. heck You guys extend that even further in 1/3 opf the entire tier discussion and probably the character matchups too. I dont understand what is up with that but you guys are an obnoxious Lot and i am tired of hearing how "good" or Not-horrible Yoshi Is No one cares really. were not here to spite you! we dont hate yoshi
not to be mean or anything, but us Yoshi mains aren't 'praising the hell out of him'. May be if people would be less ignorant and stop making Yoshi hate threads (yes, people DO hate yoshi, may be you don't, but many do) and stop flaming!. And do you have a problem for us guessing Yoshi? Have you noticed how many times people have guessed Toon Link? Pretty much for every character! So what if we guess Yoshi? May be it's because the hint sounds like Yoshi! If you noticed, for the week which was Samus, MOST people, including those who aren't yoshi mains, guessed either or both Yoshi AND Samus. And there's no reason not to have! the hint did say that the char was 'very underestimated'. You have to admit that Yoshi is underestimated. So basically, the idea you have is wrong, we're defending him, not praising him. And most of the 'Yoshi posts' in the Tier List thread were because of coreygames and someone else (i dont know his/her name, it was may be like Lilvia MK 3 or something roughly like that?) and others flaming Yoshi. So just FYI you should blame them.

and thanks for not hating Yoshi, but it is very annoying to see new threads named such as : Burn yoshi! or Yoshi should be sent to Hell! or I HATE YOSHI being created commonly.

so ya... just FYI :)

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Good points, but I'm pretty sure Olimar doesn't stand a chance to Metaknight and people know that Olimar has potential.

Sliq

Smash Master
Trust me, it is Bowser. The last 2 tournaments I went to I placed 4th and 5th with BOWSER, not to mention placing 2nd in Doubles.

Samurai Panda was at both events, and knows I am awesome. It is BOWSER, no doubt about it.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Everyones dumb sliq, they just post and say "OMG OMG IKE SONIC OMG OMG LOL"
Even though you've said it's Bowser like a MILLION TIMES, and I've talked at length about his attributes relating to the hint. Whatev.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It would be funny if Sliq ended up being wrong, because it would give people a great reason to make all sort of fun of him, but I doubt he is, looking further into this. Yoshi really doesn't fit, after looking closer at the way his game is played, and Ike really doesn't seem to have as good a game against MK and other high tiers as Bowser.

Top Bottom