• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Mmac

Smash Lord
Sliq, you're nothing more than a troll, trying to force you're opinion because 3/4 of the people don't agree with you.

Lets take a look into the essential part again.

This character also has some specials that are not simply good, but are nearly essential to using this character well
Notice the "but" in there? Now, if it was "Specials are good and essential", that won't be there. If it was, then there will be an "also" after "are". Not Simply Good means that the special is Not Simply Good. Simply Good is just a fancy word for "Great". It's basically saying "Not Great, but are nearly essential".

Notice the problem? Bowser Specials ARE Great. They don't fit into there. Hell you even said it yourself (Though I wouldn't say garbage, but you were probably just blindly flaming anyways). Yoshi's Specials are not that great. However they're still essential for Yoshi Mainers to know how to use them.

I'm going to laugh so much when it ends up not being Bowser.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I think 17 is Luigi. With his low traction, any hit you take "puts you on the defensive for quite a while" because you end up sliding around everywhere whether you have a shield up or not. That is, Luigi can get pushed around easily, and literally.

The Green machine has effective tilts, smashes, and aerials (A moves), but few of them shield pressure. And while his specials aren't good, you have to use them - Fireballs are there to do something, Green Missile threatens a misfire even if 7/8 times it's nothing, Tornado is like the main way to get into the action and do setups, and you don't wanna forget B-up is there.

Obviously the first sentence of the hint does nothing to disambiguate among the characters who are thought to have no potential, since by assumption that character's qualities are "known by few," and moreover may not even exist.
It would be nice if Luigi could fight MK. It seems that Luigi's identity has always been the character that has an advantage over the speed demon.... somehow. As though his design, completely unable to be the pressure, just enables him to slither out of the most pressuring tactics from your opponent. We see this with Fox in both games (64 DNE, lol). Maybe it holds with MK, too.

Lastly,

"taking this character to the next level requires skill, patience, and consistency. A single mistake can put you on the defensive for quite a while, and could even lead to your death if the opponent is good at edgeguarding."

Skill and consistency comments are meaningless. Except for some sort of theoretical character (who I don't think exists, but is possible) who can invent things the entire match, everyone needs consistency. Consistency is the hallmark of the professional competitor.

Patience definitely covers Luigi. As above, with that low traction, and in matchups with speedy characters, you have to take it slowly. If you run after people you'll get knocked around. Rather, you can set the pace, but not arbitrarily - you can set the pace to be slow, or at least, make a fast pace unprofitable for your opponent.

As can clearly be seen on paper, Luigi's moveset gives him a hard time on recovery. With Tornado you can still cover a lot of distance... but your options after that become Green Missile (which is not any more profitable in straight terms of distance than simple DI, anymore), and the vertical Dragon Punch. So if the opponent is good at edgeguarding, you are in trouble.

*~*~*~

Lol @ Sliq.

Mmac

Smash Lord
"Not simply good" means they're more than good.
But if it means "Excellent", then why would they say "But are nearly essential" after that? All great moves are essential. They won't say it in a way that people will be surprised to find out something like MetaKnight's Tornado is essential to his game.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Sliq, you're nothing more than a troll, trying to force you're opinion because 3/4 of the people don't agree with you.

Lets take a look into the essential part again.

Notice the "but" in there? Now, if it was "Specials are good and essential", that won't be there. If it was, then there will be an "also" after "are". Not Simply Good means that the special is Not Simply Good. Simply Good is just a fancy word for "Great". It's basically saying "Not Great, but are nearly essential".

Notice the problem? Bowser Specials ARE Great. They don't fit into there. Hell you even said it yourself (Though I wouldn't say garbage, but you were probably just blindly flaming anyways). Yoshi's Specials are not that great. However they're still essential for Yoshi Mainers to know how to use them.

I'm laughing right now how you fail at english.

Sliq

Smash Master
No, I'm a troll that forces FACT onto people. Some people are stupid, and therefor fight fact for no reason other than that the source is someone whom they don't like.

Let me fill in some gaps for your tiny, tiny brain.

This character also has some specials that are not simply good, but are nearly essential to using this character well.

Let's re word this.

This character has some specials that are good. Not only are they good, but they are (also) essential to using that character well.

The "also" is unnecessary because "also" is implied in the use of a compound sentence. Furthermore, it would be silly to have the word also in that sentence twice. Albeit I can see how this wording is ambiguous enough to warrant your opinion, however wrong it may be.

Notice the problem? Bowser Specials ARE Great. They don't fit into there.
Unless Samurai Panda means Bowser's specials are great, in which case I would be right (which I am) and you would be wrong (which you are).

Hell you even said it yourself (Though I wouldn't say garbage, but you were probably just blindly flaming anyways).
No, Yoshi's specials are pretty much garbage. His neutral b and over b are pretty bad. His up b and down b are decent, but it is very easy to win with Yoshi without ever using neutral b or over b.

However they're still essential for Yoshi Mainers to know how to use them.
No, they aren't. Yoshi's success is in no way related to his use of his specials.

Boy, you sure are going to feel silly.

But if it means "Excellent", then why would they say "But are nearly essential" after that? All great moves are essential. They won't say it in a way that people will be surprised to find out something like MetaKnight's Tornado is essential to his game.
Some characters can be so good that they can win without the use of specials, regardless of how good their specials are. So you could have a character that has great specials, but it doesn't matter since they also have a great movset, and therefore do not rely heavily on them for success.

GG NO RE FAGGOT.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Simply Good means Great. Why do they need "Not" if the word is already used in a positive context? If they add a Negative, then what makes you think it's going to make the sentence more positive?

Sliq

Smash Master
Simply Good means Great. Why do they need "Not" if the word is already used in a positive context? If they add a Negative, then what makes you think it's going to make the sentence more positive?
Not only = the opposite of only = multiple

Said characters specials have multiple functions:

1.) Being good

2.) Being essential

Seriously, have you NEVER heard someone say, "not only...but also"? Have you never seen and infomercial in your life?

http://www.bartleby.com/64/C002/005.html

Remember, correlative conjunctions are always used in pairs. They join similar elements.When joining singular and plural subjects, the subject closest to the verb determines whether the verb is singular or plural.

not only...but also = correlative conjunction

Mmac

Smash Lord
There's no "only" in there! It's just "not"

Edit: ok, send me linked proof that "not simply good, but..." is a correlative conjunction, then i'll shut up

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Bowser needs his specials to be competitive.

Fire Breath is his projectile and pressure move.

Flying Slam/Klaw is unblockable, deals damage, KOs and can be used for infinite jumping which is useful to Bowser's game. Also, Bowercide isn't the best thing ever but it's handy in the right siuations.

Whirling Fortress is quick as shit and is his best OOS option. Can come out so fast that it's nearly impossible to predict.

Bowser Bomb is ok, I guess. I haven't heard much about it but it might work like Yoshi's in that the upward hit can confirm the downward hit which can KO. The lag is pretty bad, though.

One thing I'm not clear on is the edgeguarding bit. I don't main Bowser nor do I play against him alot, but is he easy to gimp? Honest question looking for an honest answer.

Sliq

Smash Master
One thing I'm not clear on is the edgeguarding bit. I don't main Bowser nor do I play against him alot, but is he easy to gimp? Honest question looking for an honest answer.
Not really. Bowser has a huge horizontal recovery, which means he has the option of activating it very far from the ledge and easily landing on the stage. So if someone goes low, you up b over them, and if they go high, you drop below them.

The only time it is gimp able when you can barely make it back to the ledge, and therefor have an extremely predictable flight pattern.

Bowser gets ***** by Falco's CG to dair, though, since he can't meteor it early enough to make it back to the ledge. Spikes pretty much all ruin Bowser, but if you mixup you're recovery enough, it shouldn't be too hard to avoid.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
He meant "Not just good, but amazing."

The more you read the hint, the more it points to Bartolomeo Manfredi Mewtwo.

Sliq

Smash Master
Alright, but there's no "Only" and "Also", and I don't believe this simplified wording crap. Honestly, I think it would be easier just to ask Samurai himself what he meant with the sentence.

Second row, second from the left. It would appear that simply = only. Your move Dumbshit McFucknuts

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Would it be wrong to laugh if you guys were arguing and flaming each other over whether it's Bowser or Yoshi and it turned out to be say, DK or Ike? :laugh:

Mmac

Smash Lord
Second row, second from the left. It would appear that simply = only. You're move Dumbshit McFucknuts
Know what, STFU. You don't have to be a complete asshole about it. Besides, I rather believe his word rather than yours

Sliq

Smash Master
Know what, STFU. You don't have to be a complete asshole about it.
I don't have to, but it is SO much fun.

Besides, I rather believe his word rather than yours.
OF course you would, not only because he is the original source, but also because you just don't like the way I present my information, which is an illogical way to debate, which is what happens when you are a shithead; you do all sorts of illogical things (i.e. stupid things).

Mmac

Smash Lord
OF course you would, not only because he is the original source, but also because you just don't like the way I present my information, which is an illogical way to debate, which is what happens when you are a shithead; you do all sorts of illogical things (i.e. stupid things).
No, it's because you are simply an asshole, and a troll. I don't care how logical you're information is anymore, you're still a jerk, and always have been when you came in here, pressing your facts onto others and just bash everyone who remotely disagrees with you.

I don't care if you are right, you are still an asshole in the end anyways

Sliq

Smash Master
I don't care if you are right, you are still an asshole in the end anyways

Also, if you didn't care if you were right or not, you wouldn't have stuck around and argued with me so much.

Sliq

Smash Master
you're attempting to school him in english and you can't even use the right "your" :mad:

i still love you though.

My shame overflows from me like an unattended pot of corn on the front burner.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Cleared up some grammatical confusion in the hint.

EDIT: Holy hell, there has been quite a bit of debate on the issue. I actually find that pretty funny. Maybe I should've left it the way it is...

Top Bottom