• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Big Red

Smash Journeyman
His eggs are not multiple mid air jumps, maybe the first one is slightly similar to one of Kirby's midair jumps but aftyer that one you start to gain almost no vertical range at all.

And MMac, I don't really think it is that hard, stand there, if he comes at you and airdodges wait till it ends and hit him. If he attacks, most characters will be able to hit him before he hits them so that isn't a problem, again I feel that the safest way by far is to sweetsopt the ledge in the middle of your dj.

EDIT: @ Kupo, I have played Big Man, before, granted it was online, but I think that I would have grasped the mecahnics of the recovery even with lag. And I would also hope that I would have more knowledge of Yoshi's recovery in the hundreds of games that I've played with him then a Pit mainer, but I could be retarted.

Oh and thanks for the degree thing Mmac, I thought it may have been some symbol for blocks or something lol.

kupo15

Smash Hero
just because im a pit mainer doesnt mean I only know pit stuff. That was the most ridiculous statement I heard. Are you saying that Pit players are ******** or dont know anything? That sounded racist (w/e the brawl equivalent is) I have seen a good yoshi, PrIde, and I have seen many ppl struggle to edge guard him. I think we also forgot that yoshi has SA with the double jump

infomon

Smash Scientist
Wow this Yoshi discussion is actually interesting! Forget the hint lol.....

... except I'm bored of Yoshi, let's hav a hint for ICs or Sonic or smthg kthx :)

Big Red

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't saying Pit mainers are stupid, I just think it is stupid of you to think that you now more than me about my own character, and to assume that I have never played/watched anyone good. I can assure that I have seen every Yoshi vid online at least once, and I have played my fair share of games as Yoshi, so I think I know at least a thing or two.

And I'll have to whip out a quote too,

"this is out of my expertise so idk"

maybe you were talking about something else, if so please tell me, but don't say this and then go on telling me I don't know anything...

Mmac

Smash Lord
His eggs are not multiple mid air jumps, maybe the first one is slightly similar to one of Kirby's midair jumps but aftyer that one you start to gain almost no vertical range at all.
His eggs are pretty much like Jigglypuff's Pound. They stall him in the air so that he doesn't lose vertical height. Plus it does move him up vertical a little bit, so you can recover if he's just underneath the ledge

And MMac, I don't really think it is that hard, stand there, if he comes at you and airdodges wait till it ends and hit him. If he attacks, most characters will be able to hit him before he hits them so that isn't a problem, again I feel that the safest way by far is to sweetsopt the ledge in the middle of your dj.
Again, you're doing this Mirror Image thing where you're doing both options at the same time. He's going to be in your face, you are going to have to pick one. Are you going to wait, are you going to defend yourself, or are you going to attack? Is Yoshi going to dodge, is he going to attack, or is he going to go for the ledge and avoid this entire predicament?

Plus if the opponent is standing on the ledge, then he is going to eat a rising Uair to the face

kupo15

Smash Hero
I wasn't saying Pit mainers are stupid, I just think it is stupid of you to think that you now more than me about my own character, and to assume that I have never played/watched anyone good. I can assure that I have seen every Yoshi vid online at least once, and I have played my fair share of games as Yoshi, so I think I know at least a thing or two.

And I'll have to whip out a quote too,

"this is out of my expertise so idk"

maybe you were talking about something else, if so please tell me, but don't say this and then go on telling me I don't know anything...
two things:

First, I never said that I know more about yoshi or that you dont know anything. Im just pointing out things you are overlooking that are obvious that I am seeing being a non yoshi main. I DO however know his mechanics for his recovery, the SA frames, the egg toss stall, his airdodge momentum and stuff. You cant say that you have an ultimate plan that works all the time because you dont know your opponent will do.

It feels your just ignoring what we are saying. If you are charging a Fsmash like you said, the yoshi COULD toss an egg which will interrupt your fsmash which allows him to reach the edge. yet you argue this option because eggs have poor knockback. The knockback doesnt matter because you have the lag from the knockback plus the startup of the Fsmash. Yoshi is already on the edge or attacking you. Its too late.

Second

I had no idea you were a yoshi main seeing as you dont have any char icon in your profile. But I would expect a yoshi main to know that you cant easily FS a yoshi or the tricks yoshis can do to prevent being gimped. And I would assume that you would be saying similar things as Mmac which is another Yoshi main....

Big Red

Smash Journeyman
Alright, think of it like an opponenet is just dashing at you, it really is similair even though it may not seem like it.

They could do a dash attack or running up smash, this equates to yoshi doing an aerial.

Dash at you and then sidestep/sheild, this equates to doing an airdodge.

Or they could jump backwards out of range, basically grabbing the edge.

Obviously in a game they could do more things, but these are the things yoshi could do from the edge.

No think of a character with a low priority and range dash attack. If they are running at you, you will just attack them since they will likeily get hit. Now if you ask me, I think for the yoshi to do an airdodge onto the stage the timing would be such that the airdodge is broadcasted early(this is the part where I could be wrong, but it always happens to me.) Now in the dashing scenario, that would be similair to the player sidestepping or sheilding right in front of you, with you knowing that i was coming, setting up for an easy smsah, or grab.

The grabbing the edge is of course the best thing to do, but I don't feel that it is that easy since if you blow the timing just a little bit, you could end up stuck under the stage, or in an awkward position on the stage.

And you saying that when standing on the stage they could get uair'd? I don't really get that, since you would have to be under them, so then wouldn't you be stuck under the stage? (I don't think that is what you mean, I just think I am missing something.)

Anywho feel free to tear apart my analogy, it made sense to me, but I don't know lol.

EDIT: Kupo, no. as you know the up b stalls, so by the time you are able to jump, the opponent has already recovered from the egg toss hit, so they can get ready to hit you again. Plus those eggs are really easy to sheild...

Mmac

Smash Lord
It's basically a game of Rock Paper Scissors, With Tie going to the Yoshi. Yoshi isn't going to be so obvious with his motives, and if you do something too early, then Yoshi can easily pick the right option to counter

And you saying that when standing on the stage they could get uair'd? I don't really get that, since you would have to be under them, so then wouldn't you be stuck under the stage? (I don't think that is what you mean, I just think I am missing something.)
Yoshi's Uair is pretty much like a Cone shaped hitbox. If he goes near the edge, and he's standing on the edge, then he's going to get hit

Anywho feel free to tear apart my analogy, it made sense to me, but I don't know lol.

EDIT: Kupo, no. as you know the up b stalls, so by the time you are able to jump, the opponent has already recovered from the egg toss hit, so they can get ready to hit you again. Plus those eggs are really easy to sheild...
It only Stalls Vertically, it doesn't effect his Horizontal Momentum. Plus if he shield's the Egg, then he's still wasting time, and Yoshi will probably be on the ledge when he's done shielding.

You know Red, I haven't seen much positive reinforcement for Yoshi from you in about 2 Months.....

Edit:
Holy ****! Give the Yoshi dicussion a rest already! Everywhere I've been to has a argument on Yoshi...
We're bored.... and we need hints......

I dunno, it just happened

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hint #21

This character is underestimated by many players, but in the right hands can give characters like Captain Falcon trouble. With approaches that can be shielded or dodged, this character can sometimes approach through the air. This character's projectile can be used to either disrupt opponents or bait approaches, and can even be used in approaches, even though it can be shielded. However, due to certain characteristics and matchups, this character may not reach the ranks of top tier, but certainly is not bottom tier material.

Can you guess who this week's character is?
Hm...

With the recent discussion going on, I think it could be Pit or Yoshi.

However, Falco can also be this week, since his approaches can also be shielded or dodged as well. His lasers are used to bait approaches, too. He doesn't seem very underestimated by too many players though. Maybe it's Fox.

Or Sheik.

Maybe Lucas.

21wtfs
...someone, play along `.`;

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
for the love of god get the hint up, i can't take any more of this.

kupo: pit isn't top tier, no matter how smart you are

yoshi mains: stop arguing with yourselves

overswarm/panda: stop this madness with a hint

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
This must be the most hardcore 3 hour 10 page paper anyones ever written. Ever.

Whats it about? : D

Grunt

Smash Master
Hm...

However, Falco can also be this week, since his approaches can also be shielded or dodged as well. His lasers are used to bait approaches, too. He doesn't seem very underestimated by too many players though. Maybe it's Fox.

Or Sheik.

Maybe Lucas.

21wtfs
Lol, pretty much how it happens every week.
some ridiculously vague hint and a thousand screaming fanboys.

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Wow, looks like we really need a hint, we just had 6 pages of discussion that had nothing to do at all with the "SBR Weekly character" thing.

Let me just add one more thing to the Yoshi debate.

"When Yoshi tries to get back to the ground using an airdodge, you can wait for him to hit the ground and FSmash him"

It's surprisingly hard to do this. Yoshi has the fastest horizontal aerial movement speed. He can go faster in the air than some characters can run on the ground. If you do your mindgames right it shouldn't be too hard not to get punished for it.

But anyways, we need a hint now, it's Thursday already and I'm not even here over the weekend...

Tenki

Smash Hero
Lol, pretty much how it happens every week.
some ridiculously vague hint and a thousand screaming fanboys.
lol

i tailored it to apply to like, every character left except for the non-projectile ones XD

JJR.O.B.

Smash Ace
Hm...

Or Sheik.

Maybe Lucas.

21wtfs
no you're wrong It is so totally going to be Yoshi. His eggs are one of the best projectiles in the game for forcing people approach you

/sarcasm

Ace55

Smash Lord
When did this become the Yoshi discussion thread? And Samulai Prada's hint is way to specific.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
That 3 hour limit he had to write his exam paper...must have been hours in Dragon Ball Z time.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
lol u guys mentioned the '9000' thing. i was considering saying ITS OVER 9000!!! today just for fun cus i feel impatient for the hint.

ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!

GIVE ME MAI HINT ALREADZY!ONE1!

...srsly I want hint plzkthx
u mean "plxkthx"

or "pl0xkthx" etc.

:)

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Anyway, hint for #21 is up:

This character is underestimated by many players, but in the right hands can give characters like Captain Falcon trouble. With approaches that can be shielded or dodged, this character can sometimes approach through the air. This character's projectile can be used to either disrupt opponents or bait approaches, and can even be used in approaches, even though it can be shielded. However, due to certain characteristics and matchups, this character may not reach the ranks of top tier, but certainly is not bottom tier material.

Can you guess who this week's character is?

mindgameslol
This could be Kirby.

But if it's not, it's definitely - finally - Yoshi. The hint implies the character has a single projectile, and only so many characters have a projectile which satisfies all the properties given. Notice that the hint indicates the projectile cannot be spammed. Called "this character's projectile," it sounds that it was thought of as a singular thing, and with the explicit hint that it can be shielded (making it sound unspectacular), it has to be something you can't have more than one of at once.

Hence, why I think the field is narrowed to Kirby and Yoshi.

What the hell are "characters like Captain Falcon" though?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Said Hint is not real hint
Yes I can see that now.

I suppose I should have thought longer on the inconsistency I perceived between the hint and the non-updatedness of the thread title or first post, but I make no admission that I am too trusting. I just didn't see a joke.

Tenki

Smash Hero
It's fun anyway.

Until Samulai Prada comes in and gives us a real hint >_O

Mmac

Smash Lord
I see samurai online alot, but he's not updating it >_>

Maybe he's making some sort of SUPER HINT!

Mmac

Smash Lord
He's online, but he hasn't been posting lately, so he might just be busy. I don't want to bother him >_> ....

Ganon4President

Smash Rookie
Why is Peach not near the top in that tier list?

My 2nd best is Peach and how is peach worse then bowser? Peach has a high combo rate because of her foating abilities, her turnips are effective projectiles, her right and left aerial attack can kill in the 90s, her ability to float and her neutral and right or left b give excellent recovery options, and because of to float or to not float on the stage she can confuse people what kind of combos she will do. Again, why is Peach not up there in tier list.:confused:

Top Bottom