• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Mmac

Smash Lord
Is this your way getting around the fact you don't know crap about him After Dawn?

You posted about 3 times that he's an "Obvious" Bottom Tier character, but never have you once said why. If you knew why, you would have posted them by now. Yoshi has the most obvious weaknesses you can pick off of. Crappy Shield Game, Slow and Punishable Regular Grabs, Below Average Power, Complex Recovery.

You either know nothing about him, or extremely lazy

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
And yet you have listed no reasons on why Yoshi is such a terrible character.
Yoshi has more lag on his shield animation than most characters, and doesn't have the best defencive game. His air game, while respectable, still places him at a severe disadvantage when returning to the stage. He doesn't have the best range on his attacks, nor are they the fastest, although personally I feel the speed of his attacks are more notable than his range when listing his most beneficial attributes. Yoshi has great horizontal air speed, but all things considered, he can be topped by at least a few other characters in any given attribute.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I know more about this game than you ever will, Mmac. His ATs are gimmicky and basically useless. Anything you can do with him, you can apply and do better with a different character. Quit being a scrub and face reality.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I know more about this game than you ever will, Mmac. His ATs are gimmicky and basically useless. Anything you can do with him, you can apply and do better with a different character. Quit being a scrub and face reality.
And yet you STILL don't post reasons! You know more than me why? Because you are a fancy Tournament Director? You say his AT's are gimmicky and useless. I want you to do right now, list all the AT's he has and list why they are gimmicky and useless, before you do anything else.

And the "Why play this character when that character is better?" Card can be played on every character. Why play Marth when MetaKnight basically outclasses him in every field?

And lawl at pic :laugh:

bigman40

Smash Master
Super lolz @ the pic.

Seriously, lets get back to guessing. No need for ANOTHER argument about Yoshi. Just keep your own opinions to yourself (and I mean how bad/good this or that character is. No one really gives 2 ****s after so much arguing).

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
And the "Why play this character when that character is better?" Card can be played on every character. Why play Marth when MetaKnight basically outclasses him in every field?
Marth has better range, grab releases, earlier kill moves and better specials. Marth/MK is one place you definitely can't play that card.

Tenki

Smash Hero
FEAR

Yoshonic for top tier​

Werehog is weird enough.

It can make him go almost fast as Sonic's Natural Running speed when used in a multiple succession quickly, and can use any attack out of it.

.... or so Chaco tells me, Haven't really learn DR's myself
Eh, that's not really what I see DR being used for. At least if you DR, you can reverse your movement momentum almost instantly while still being able to do any move out of it.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Marth has better range, grab releases, earlier kill moves and better specials. Marth/MK is one place you definitely can't play that card.
His range only slightly outranges MetaKnight's, and I think MetaKnight has better specials.

But I guess you're right

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Nobody has to list reasons, Yoshi is, without a doubt, a bottom tier character, and one of the worst in the game. Anybody who argues otherwise is pretty much a noob or just a biased fanboy who doesn't know what he / she is talking about.
If the hint actually is Yoshi, this quote must be preserved.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Eh, that's not really what I see DR being used for. At least if you DR, you can reverse your movement momentum almost instantly while still being able to do any move out of it.
I think it's a variation called the Dragonic Trot, or something, what I've been describing....

bigman40

Smash Master
-___- Take it from someone that uses the DR to tell you what it's purpose is....Dragonic Reverse is not for speed...No one really cares how fast you get from one stage to the other (my opinion on that). It's primary means is to open up options to atk and mindgame. DR is to make countering more effective since most of the times, Yoshi isn't in range to counter. The mindgames part can be used to change your speed from one way to another with little turning lag. You can alter your approach since most believe you'll be either Bairing, Dash grabbing, Dash atking, or Usmashing.

EDIT: Dragonic Trot isn't anything different but speeding Yoshi's normal running speed. It's still the same basics that are applied to Dragonic Reverse.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Update #22: ?????

9/01/08

This character can be quite scary to some people. Relatively unknown to most smashers, this character has tricks galore that can take people by surprise when they play against someone with actual skill, but finding those people can be difficult as there aren't many. This character is the embodiment of potential right now, as it is only a matter of time until a breakout player starts sweeping the big names and will make everyone know who that player is. However, tapping into the character's potential will prove to be a difficult task, as the character demands technical skill, which is rare and difficult in Brawl. Despite this blatantly obvious potential, there are still people who think this character isn't going anywhere, but the people who use this character are certainly dedicated and won't stop until they prove their point. But we're still waiting for them to prove it.

Can you guess who next week's character will be?
That's gotta be Yoshi, unknown (I've never played a good yoshi johns are quite common). Not sure about embodiment of potential (I even think most of yoshi's ATs are gimmicky, not useless but gimmicky none the less, I can't use them fluently btw so that might cloud my judgement). and the won't stop until they prove their point but everyone is still waiting for them to prove it is too true and lolz

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
It could be Luigi. Everything except "tricks galore" fits. Luigi has few ATs if that's what it's referring to.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
It could be Luigi. Everything except "tricks galore" fits. Luigi has few ATs if that's what it's referring to.
SHōRYū-REPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Also, I refuse to believe this week is any character other than Yoshi, and it's about time Yoshi's had their turn in the spot light. I don't think any other character community has campaigned harder.

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Nobody has to list reasons, Yoshi is, without a doubt, a bottom tier character, and one of the worst in the game. Anybody who argues otherwise is pretty much a noob or just a biased fanboy who doesn't know what he / she is talking about.
I don't normally take part in these kinds of discussions, because experience tells me they're usually pointless, but this statement just begs to be torn apart. And not from a Yoshi standpoint either. You could pretty much insert anything there, it doesn't matter.

Nobody has to list reasons
There is no such thing as a claim that is valid without giving reasons. If I went outside and told everyone I had supernatural powers without giving reasons, explanation or some other sort of proof, would you think anyone would believe me? No. So why should we believe what you say then?

Yoshi is, without a doubt, a bottom tier character, and one of the worst in the game.
"without a doubt" doesn't make your statement any more valid if you don't give us reasons on why we shouldn't have any doubt. The rest of the statement is just an unsupported claim.

Anybody who argues otherwise is pretty much a noob or just a biased fanboy who doesn't know what he / she is talking about.
Again, you didn't give any reasons on why you tihnk this is the case. Even better, you insult everyone who doesn't agree with you. Extremely polite, thank you.

I've seen stuff like that from new people that only just entered the smash community, which is okay, because they just don't know any better. You're a tournament director. You should know better.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
The Halloween Captain's synopsis of:

Jigglypuff

This character really is the embodiment of potential at the moment. With the best horizontal air speed in the game, this character is primarily about it's air game, which strongly relies on capitalizing on Jigglypuff's deceptively long range and ability to punish any wiffed attack. This character relies strongly on a punishment game, and because its best moves are arials attacks, is one of the characters who suffers the most from stale moves reduction. However, this can also help the character, as you can be sure Jigglypuff's kill moves will be fresh.

Her main downside is her light wieght, and mistakes are very dangerous for this character. However, she can dodge almost anything by staying in the air, as her recovery enables her to stay off the ground for extended periods AND she can move faster than any opponent in the air. With tricks such as rising pound, and powerful kill moves that require extreme accuracy and knowledge to use, Jigglypuff is the embodiment of potential. The player who realizes her potential will undoubtedly make their name known, but unfortunately, no such player has appeared.

Heavenly Spoon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeavenlySpoon
Epic bias:
Jiggly

It's not gonna be her, but getting her on the potentials list might increase her chances of not being the last character to be rated.

This character can be quite scary to some people.
FEAR THE PINK BALLOON.
Relatively unknown to most smashers,
Jigglypuff is in the game?
this character has tricks galore that can take people by surprise when they play against someone with actual skill,
Dair-to-rest, very lengthy/fast boost smash, perfect shield-SH-punishmentrest, Ledge-cancelled-sing, shield-pressure with dair, what's left of WoP, ...
but finding those people can be difficult as there aren't many.
Like, none.
This character is the embodiment of potential right now, as it is only a matter of time until a breakout player starts sweeping the big names and will make everyone know who that player is.
Because up until now, there have only been a few really good players. Most notably Bowyer, who quit Brawl, and mango, who's still got mad skillz, but doesn't even have Brawl.
However, tapping into the character's potential will prove to be a difficult task, as the character demands technical skill, which is rare and difficult in Brawl.
Read above.
I still fail at dair-to-resting and boost-smashing consistently.
Despite this blatantly obvious potential, there are still people who think this character isn't going anywhere, but the people who use this character are certainly dedicated and won't stop until they prove their point. But we're still waiting for them to prove it.
I'm gonna laugh so very hard if I'm actually right.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure "Yoshi" is only one word.
Even though Samulai Prada's lost his touch on making challenging and confusing hints since the Ganondorf one (and... I guess the Mewtwo one lol), you don't have to ruin it all the time ;__;

ElectroBlooper

Smash Cadet
How could this not be the ICs? I've been a little bit out of touch lately, but as far as I know they aren't exactly ruling the tournament seem. At the same time, their infinite CG scares the hell out of me, even if not many people have really mastered it. IC's CG = "tricks galore" and "obvious potential," but from my understanding is pretty ****in hard to pull off. Sorry Yoshi mainers but as much as I like Yoshi, I can't see him being anywhere near as likely as ICs. Yoshi's tricks do not make him frightening or full of potential the way ICs' tricks do.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Is Wario all that technical? I don't think he's that underplayed, he does fairly well in tournaments.... and it's not the technical skill that are holding his players back afaik.

It's Ice Climbers, or maybe Yoshi. ICs are still fairly unknown in high-level tournament play, from what I can tell; not many of the pros main ICs, and even the pros are held back by the tech skill required for them. But admittedly it could be Yoshi, although I don't think he has as much potential as Mmac would have you believe... he does require technical skill, is definitely unknown, and we're all waiting for his dedicated fanboys to prove their point :laugh:

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
There's already a good Yoshi. There's already good IC's. I have yet to hear of a good Jigglypuff.

The character in Panda's hint can have ZERO GREAT PLAYERS, because NO ONE HAS FULLY REALIZED THE POTENTIAL OF THE CHARACTER IN QUESTION.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
With the way you've been championing your character Mmac, it's a wonder that everybody on Smashboards doesn't know what Yoshi can or can't do.
People don't listen.

And I'd like to know who this "good Yoshi" is that you people are talking about. I can name a few but none are really getting their names out there just yet.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Is this your way getting around the fact you don't know crap about him After Dawn?

You posted about 3 times that he's an "Obvious" Bottom Tier character, but never have you once said why. If you knew why, you would have posted them by now. Yoshi has the most obvious weaknesses you can pick off of. Crappy Shield Game, Slow and Punishable Regular Grabs, Below Average Power, Complex Recovery.

You either know nothing about him, or extremely lazy
and i know know than both of you,any questions?

People don't listen.

And I'd like to know who this "good Yoshi" is that you people are talking about. I can name a few but none are really getting their names out there just yet.
PRiDE...oh and burntsocks so 2 actually

its still either yoshi or IC...

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Oh of course.... how could I have forgotten Chrono?

Besides you, who is there, honestly?

The closest thing I can think of is Bwett, but I don't know if he has really been getting his name out there.

@ mc: Pride has retired. Stocky doesn't really attend tournaments consistently.

Top Bottom