• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
This character is a character.

This character is not Zero Suit Samus. This character might have a red costume. This character is not too big. This character has a recovery. This character is not old. This character has smash attacks. This character is not new. This character can use items. This character is not King Dedede. This character might be Magikarp.

This character is not a homerun bat. This character might have hair. This character is not banned. This character can be selected. This character is not Norfair. This character can jump. This character is not a deku nut. This character has hands. This character is not hard to lose with. This character might be a character.

Can you decipher this hint?
Look at it like a palindrome.

This character might be a character.

This character is not Zero Suit Samus.
This character is not hard to lose with.

This character might have a red costume.
This character has hands.

This character is not too big.
This character is not a deku nut.

This character has a recovery.
This character can jump.

This character is not old.
This character is not Norfair.

This character has smash attacks.
This character can be selected.

This character is not new.
This character is not banned.

This character can use items.
This character might have hair.

This character is not King Dedede.
This character is not a homerun bat.

This character might be Magikarp.

The last hint is the middle hint of the pseudo-palindrome and is therefore the answer.
This week is Magikarp.

Alternatively, you can take each of these small hints, and knock out the ones that contradict each other. But I won't do that, because I want to believe Magikarp's time has finally come.

EDIT:

This character is a character. - Yes
This character might be a character. - Er, Yes
This character is not Zero Suit Samus. - Yes
This character is not hard to lose with. - Like Melee Fox, only good in the hands of pros
This character might have a red costume. - Yes
This character has hands. - Fins are hands too
This character is not too big. - By pokestandards, he's pretty average
This character is not a deku nut. - Yes
This character has a recovery. - The best in the game
This character can jump. - Splash
This character is not old. - The rise of Magikarp began this year
This character is not Norfair. - Lava = Bad for water types as far as habitat goes
This character has smash attacks. - Indeed, it is so
This character can be selected. - Can be select is the keyword.
This character is not new. - Already Established
This character is not banned. - Not yet anyway.
This character can use items. - Since Pokemon Silver and Gold Baby
This character might have hair. - His two big whiskers
This character is not King Dedede. - No, he is something much more
This character is not a homerun bat. - And yet produces the same effect on his forward splash

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Only thing I can bother to say is:

This character is not old/This character is not new: Charizard was a Poke Ball Pokemon in 64 and Melee, but he's not completely old because he is playable for the first time in Brawl. >_>;

Nestec

Smash Ace
Eh, I realize there is a bit of a pattern to the two larger paragraphs of the hint. Both have ten statements, half of which are negative statements. And the negative statements occur every other sentence...

And with the exception of three sentence pairs (a recovery,selected / smash attacks,jump/ and use items, hands) and the five pairs of negatives, all of the sentence pairs have the same style of statement ("might have"s, and "might be"s).

Hope that makes sense, but it's an observation I made. I'll try to do more with it...

EDIT: It would be nice if we could know what to do with the statements.

AgentAO

Smash Journeyman

This character is not old/This character is not new: Charizard was a Poke Ball Pokemon in 64 and Melee, but he's not completely old because he is playable for the first time in Brawl. >_>;
I think its PT in general.

PT, the character himself, is not old in age.
However, he is not new because he's been a character in the pokemon series.
PT, as a trainer, can use items.
PT has hair.
PT can be easy to lose with if you don't know how to handle all 3 pokemon.
AND a Pokemon trainer, in the games, has access to Magicarp.

Thus, its PT.

Ekimaster

Smash Cadet
I thought the hint was "might", but Ganondorf has already been in the spotlight. Is any other character also looking for might?

GGMoneY

Smash Cadet
Look at it like a palindrome.

This character might be a character.

This character is not Zero Suit Samus.
This character is not hard to lose with.

This character might have a red costume.

This character is not too big.
This character is not a deku nut.

This character can jump.

This character is not old.
This character is not Norfair.

This character is not new.
This character is not banned.

This character might have hair.

This character is not King Dedede.
This character is not a homerun bat.

This character might be Magikarp.

The last hint is the middle hint of the pseudo-palindrome and is therefore the answer.
This week is Magikarp.

Alternatively, you can take each of these small hints, and knock out the ones that contradict each other. But I won't do that, because I want to believe Magikarp's time has finally come.

EDIT:

This character is a character. - Yes
This character might be a character. - Er, Yes
This character is not Zero Suit Samus. - Yes
This character is not hard to lose with. - Like Melee Fox, only good in the hands of pros
This character might have a red costume. - Yes
This character has hands. - Fins are hands too
This character is not too big. - By pokestandards, he's pretty average
This character is not a deku nut. - Yes
This character has a recovery. - The best in the game
This character can jump. - Splash
This character is not old. - The rise of Magikarp began this year
This character is not Norfair. - Lava = Bad for water types as far as habitat goes
This character has smash attacks. - Indeed, it is so
This character can be selected. - Can be select is the keyword.
This character is not new. - Already Established
This character is not banned. - Not yet anyway.
This character can use items. - Since Pokemon Silver and Gold Baby
This character might have hair. - His two big whiskers
This character is not King Dedede. - No, he is something much more
This character is not a homerun bat. - And yet produces the same effect on his forward splash
I think its PT in general.

PT, the character himself, is not old in age.
However, he is not new because he's been a character in the pokemon series.
PT, as a trainer, can use items.
PT has hair.
PT can be easy to lose with if you don't know how to handle all 3 pokemon.
AND a Pokemon trainer, in the games, has access to Magicarp.

Thus, its PT.
It's PT with Magikarp

/thread

jehonaker

Smash Cadet
I'd say it's Pokémon Trainer, indeed.

Some of the interesting points:
"Has a recovery": seems like it facetiously refers to the tether-only characters and other poor-recovery characters. Ivysaur is one, but Charizard and Squirtle aren't.

"Has hands": no surprise, if it's human. This actually rules out Jigglypuff...it has no hands.

"Is a character"/"Might be a character"/"Can be selected": he can be selected, but you don't actually control him.

"Is not old"/"Is not new": this incarnation of Pokémon trainer is from generation 3, neither old nor new.

"Not hard to lose with": PT is notoriously tough to use because of his forced-stamina mechanic, making it hard to win as him consistently.

"Might have hair": He has hair, his Pokémon do not.

"Might be Magikarp": PT can use Magikarp in the games (and all four of its attacks; yes, it can finally get a new attack in Pt), and it's the same ambiguity of the "is/might be a character".

That's my rationale. I'm about 95% certain it's Pokémon Trainer.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I know who it is. It's so obvious. It's not Magikarp or Mewtwo or Llamacario. It's none of those guys. You want to know who it is?

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC

You know, I agree with this. Charizard nearly fills all of the requirements, except that he doesn't have hair.

I'm glad we're back to regular hints. ^___^
Yes.

In any event, my guess is Charizard.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Update #33: ????

11/25/08

This character is not Zero Suit Samus. This character might have a red costume. This character is not too big. This character has a recovery. This character is not old. This character has smash attacks. This character is not new. This character can use items. This character is not King Dedede. This character might be Magikarp.

This character is not a homerun bat. This character might have hair. This character is not banned. This character can be selected. This character is not Norfair. This character can jump. This character is not a deku nut. This character has hands. This character is not hard to lose with. This character might be a character.

PT Fits this much:
Not ZSS
Possible red costume
not big
has a recovery
not old
can use items
Not Dedede
has access to magickarp
no homerun bats
has hair (technically)
not banned (34 characters fulfill this)
can be selected
not Norfair
can jump
not a nut
has hands
easy to lose with (unless you're good at it)
is a character

Well, it makes sense. Right now I'm just praying it is so.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master

11/25/08

---

Some of those are so painstakingly pointless or useless that I'm surprised this can actually be called a hint. >_>

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I made a subtle change that might help push you guys in the right direction. If more help is needed later I may add more to the hint.

R0cket

Smash Apprentice
The 2 paragraphs have the same structure, but they differ in the aspect that in the first paragraph it's has, has, can and in the second it's can, can, has.

has has can
can can has
has/can has/can can/has
HHC
CCH
HC HC CH
SSN NNS SNS NNS

Nope.. nothing.. :(

Turfy

Smash Rookie
My guess is Fox.
All the hints would say so, and I've been waiting too long for his smash discussions to come out. :chuckle:

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman

11/25/08

Can you decipher the real hint?

I've been trying to find a pattern in the sentences. It could be something like True/ignore/true/ignore/true/ignore. The first sentence is obviously true, the second could be ignored as we've already done ZSS. The next one could be considered true ( it does or does not have a red costume, anyway you look at it), then ignore the too big part, the character obviously has a recovery, the character is not old should be ignored, the character has smash attacks is obviously true, and so on. If we follow this we end up with:

This character might have a red costume. (it does or does not have a red costume)
This character might be Magikarp. (it is or is not Magikarp)

This character might have hair. (it does or does not have hair)
This character can jump.
This character might be a character. ( ??? )

If this is true, then I have no idea where to go from here:ohwell:

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
Y. N. M. N. Y. N. Y. N. Y. N. M. N. M. N. Y. N. Y. N. Y. N. Y.

True. False. Maybe. False. True. False. True. False.+ True. False. Maybe. False. Maybe. False. True. False. True. False. True. False. True.

I dunno.

Top Bottom