• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ball. Useful or non Useful?

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
As we've already seen in some videos (*ahem*, second video being played online, Kirby's Final Smash, *ahem*), a Smash Ball can end a fight with a winner in less than a minute.

However, would brawls be more "Am I gonna win against the *** who said he was gonna win just 'cos he used that Smash Ball which I almost had?" or will you just disable them from the match altogether?

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
il disable them, as you say, they can completely turn a fight on its head in a matter of seconds, it could just be a case of who can jump highest to reach the smash ball (if its flying high). you can win fights purely by luck

Blatherskite

Smash Apprentice
I'll keep em on and play 10 stock matches instead of 5 since half of those stocks will go by fast due to 1 hit KO Final Smashes. The game is already looking boring enough without advanced techniques and its slow pace.

CommanderGrit

Smash Apprentice
If you are a skilled enough player, you should be able to effectively avoid being killed by a final smash.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am playing with the FS becuse it is part of the game and something new from melee

XDead Sexy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah some look like easy kills but the majority of them look like they can be dodged with good timing jumps and what not.Im gonna play with them on just add more stock maybe instead of 3 like 6 or something.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I thought it was only those near him, but it seems everyone gets unlucky. Stupid pink ball getting your way...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I'll probably use them every now and then in casual matches, but I'll have them turned off for the majority of the time.

The game is already looking boring enough without advanced techniques and its slow pace.
Well, pivoting is still in, and we have inkdropping to explore. Wavedashing may be out, but characters with a glide can do a psuedo wavedash by gliding at low altitudes and then airdodging. Lag canceling is also still in, you just have to fastfall before doing the aerial, rather than press L or R near the ground. There are also a bunch of character specific things I'm thinking about, like abusing the fact that Sonic can cancel his upward momentum with a dair, and he can cancel that dair with a jump. Pit aiming his arrows will take a while to master, and I don't even want to think of all the crazy stuff you'll be able to pull off with Omilar. There's still quite a bit of stuff to sink your teeth into, and we're really only losing one advance technique in the first place.

Gerkuman

Smash Cadet
There's at least two ways of stopping Kirby from KOing you. 1) Don't let him get the smash ball or 2) Keep your damage levels low when playing against Kirby. Besides, as many people have said, if you play on stock Kirby doesn't get much from it, unliked Timed Brawls.

Rash

Smash Ace
It's a different game. You can't just keep the Melee mindset. God forbid that Brawl actually has some new mechanics which need to be explored.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget the footstool jump! I know it's bilt to be there, but I've forgotten about it until now. I'm sure that could be of major use.

Besides, it'd be easy to just smash Kirby out, as he's light. Just watch you're not playing against a pro.

Speaking of, are there any pro players who play as Kirby?

IWANTHOTDOG

Smash Apprentice
I'll keep em on and play 10 stock matches instead of 5 since half of those stocks will go by fast due to 1 hit KO Final Smashes. The game is already looking boring enough without advanced techniques and its slow pace.
Ah thats a good idea. With more lives its easier to make a comeback for more skilled players when someone else uses a smash ball.

skiks

Smash Cadet
I see final smashes as a way to balance the game more. Thats just me though. Don't knock it till we actually try it. If it doesn't include containers then by all means.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
that can be said for many final smashes, but not for kirbys. kirbys seems undodgable, if youre at a high percentage when it gets you, thats it.
thats true, but again you could ask, what are you doing with a high % in the first place? SCRUB1!!. Just kidding, but we all know Sakurai is byast in Kirby's case :ohwell:

Bozen

Smash Apprentice
Personally I'd rather play without the smash balls unless I'm goofing around with friends playing some friendly matches. The final smashes just seem to be to devastating in many cases and could cause you to lose a match too easily. In just for fun online matches and friendly matches however, it seems this could add a bit more fun to the match.

marth882

Smash Cadet
Just an FYI that second online video you mentioned... is a timed match... it only lasts a minuet regardless who gets the kills... you should know this come on!

In a stocked match final smashes won't be over powered, I can almost assure you that. Then again as most people said the game isn't out yet it could be a lot different then what your seeing, never know.

S2

Smash Lord
I really have to wait and see how easily avoidable they are. If there is a skill to dodging them, then I'll consider it (actually I'll just go by MLG rules for 1v1s and team).

In FFAs I'll probably turn them on.

As for Kirby's FS... don't you have to be close enough to him to get sucked in by his cook?

jonkil

Smash Apprentice
with final smashes, if your going to use them why not just turn down the drop rate so its more like 1 or 2 balls per round making it a 1 free kill situation, heck sometime you might even be able to dodge them like links or ikes fs. so it completely makes it worthless. that or kill them b4 they can us it :p

KonkerWaddle

Smash Rookie
I prefer for the smash sphere to be there in the battles. Heck...for the fun of it...gotta fear Kirby if hes empowered by the smash ball, grabs everyone on screen. The final smashes makes for dramatics comebacks and good gameplay!

Top Bottom