• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Boards 1337 sp33k- I don't get it

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
The first day I joined smashboards, I knew there was going to be some internet abbreviations. (LOL, ROFL) I've encountered some abbreviations that baffle and confuse me. The purpose of this thread is to shed some light on phrases smash n00bs (like myself) won't know. Here is the list of abbreviations I don't understand:

1. QFT (Quote for that?)
2. 10 "[insert thing here]"s (I don't understand this one...)
3. Scrub (Same as a noob)

Please add more, but these are all that I can think of. Also, I apologize if this thread is out of place, I just can't think of anywhere else to put it. :chuckle:

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
1. Quoted for Truth. Basically agreeing with above poser.
2. There's a 10 character minimum when making a post. So when people make a real small post people throw in "10chars" to meet the requirement. Sometimes people will try and be funny (BUT FAIL) and put like "10 blahblahs" or something.
3. Yes.

The more you know...

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
The first day I joined smashboards, I knew there was going to be some internet abbreviations. (LOL, ROFL) I've encountered some abbreviations that baffle and confuse me. The purpose of this thread is to shed some light on phrases smash n00bs (like myself) won't know. Here is the list of abbreviations I don't understand:

1. QFT (Quote for that?)

Please add more, but these are all that I can think of. Also, I apologize if this thread is out of place, I just can't think of anywhere else to put it. :chuckle:
1. Quoted For Truth. If someone says something and somebody else quotes it and says 'QFT,' they agree with it.
2. Because posts on SWF need to be at least 10 characters long (Games aside), people used to get around the censor by posting '10char(acters, if it's a really short post). Recently, it's become an inside joke. 10charmanders, 10fails, and 10lamejokes are pretty common. Don't do this too much, you'll look like an idiot.

There's also some Smash terms we have, like AT (Advaned Technique) and DI (Directional Influence).

...Actually, there is a way around the character-limit, but I'm not allowed to share it with the newbies.

Killress

Smash Ace
1. Quoted for Truth. Basically agreeing with above poser.
2. There's a 10 character minimum when making a post. So when people make a real small post people throw in "10chars" to meet the requirement. Sometimes people will try and be funny (BUT FAIL) and put like "10 blahblahs" or something.
3. Yes.

The more you know...
cheap_josh has the answers :)

Skywalker

Space Jump
OP can refer to "Original poster" but not so much on a forum with user names

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Attention: If you seeing anybody doing the "10char" thing anywhere please send me a PM so I can warn some people :)

Ilex

Smash Ace
Attention: If you seeing anybody doing the "10char" thing anywhere please send me a PM so I can warn some people :)
Are people actually lame enough to rat other users out?

Here's some more jargon:

Buff: Got stronger from one game to another.
ie 'Game and Watch was buffed big time'.

Nerf: Exact same only the said noun was weakened.
ie 'Sheik got nerfed from Melee to Brawl'.

It took me a bit to understand those terms.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
how the hey is he passing the limit without even posting the 10chars or anything?

MSTK

Smash Cadet

1. QFT (Quote for that?)

Did you seriously make an entire topic about this? You might not be internet-saavy, but I'm sure you've heard of a little tool called Google.

I can't remember the URL off the top of my head, but I'm going to try to guess...
http://www.google.com

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I learned how to pass that 10char thing after seeing a bunch of posts from Matt ages ago.

But anyway, when it comes to leet speek, the only things I struggled with was all the Smash technical terms.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I gave Vulcan infractions for:

Spam (10char dodging), One-lined posts, and signature violations. Don't be like Vulcan.

If he keeps doing these, I'll keep infracting him.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I gave Vulcan infractions for:

Spam (10char dodging), One-lined posts, and signature violations. Don't be like Vulcan.

If he keeps doing these, I'll keep infracting him.
If that's the case, Xsyven, I'd like to encourage Vulcan to continue his posting ways.

I had the same problem as Pluvia did. Is there a 'Smash Term' thread somewhere? If so, it should be stickied. Or moved to General Brawl Disc...

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
There's a general Q&A thread for SWF related questions in the PRoom, and a general Q&A thread for Smash related questions in GBD.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I don't mean to rat out, but it's a common to see "10chars" in the General Brawl Discussion, but then again they are mostly n00bs so I guess they wouldn't know any better

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
YourTooSlow, one-liner + minor spam + signature violation. You're lucky I only gave you one point. ;)

Also, you used the wrong 'your' in your username... that should be punishment enough. :p

YourTooSlow

Smash Apprentice
sorry i was just trying the 10char thing by quoting someone who posted under 10 characters to see how it worked. is my signature too big? i;ll make it smaller. told my GF to register me and she spelled your wrong. =/

also. what points did you take? what do these points mean? is my internet going to blow up?

Top Bottom