• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros 4's art style?

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Apart the fact we are not fully sure of what Wii U can and can't do, I was more focused on the style, funny yet kinda realistic despite their huge difference in anatomy and size (Mantis is really small and Viper has no limbs), exactly like the characters of Super Smash Bros.!
That was actually a big deal as far as the animation was concerned. Because a human doing those moves imitates the animals, like a mans hand becomes the crane's beak, yet Crane in the movie would never stab with his beak. It's the same reason why there is no major motion capture in smash, those moves are too outrageous and the proportions are just as nuts.

I don't mind how the characters have grown a bit taller and more realistic, but the brighter colors would be a welcome return. For a game like Smash, Wii U will provide everything the developers could possibly want.

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Apart the fact we are not fully sure of what Wii U can and can't do, I was more focused on the style, funny yet kinda realistic despite their huge difference in anatomy and size (Mantis is really small and Viper has no limbs), exactly like the characters of Super Smash Bros.!
As RD said, this would be incredibly difficult for Smash Bros. just like it was for the Kung fu Panda films and tv series.

We're dealing with characters that have vastly different proportions so everything would have to be animated mostly without motion caputre. Also, unlike KFP, we're stuck with fewer frames on attacks. As I said in the frame data thread, the jabs in 3D fighters tend to be 10 or 11 frames in startup while 2D ones tend to be 3 to 5 depending on the game. The startup in the latter is mostly impossible for a human to replicate so that alone makes it unrealistic.

So, if we wanted to have the characters given moves based on actual techniques (which would work for some but not others), they'd have to be completely reimagined.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Or have the moves done in motion capture and adapted to the characters. This would result in most of the characters having their limbs and body stretched and deformed on every move, as much as they are far from the human proportions. But that is just perfect! Realistic characters would be more realistic while toony characters would be more toony.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Well, I'm hoping it will just have HD Brawl style art. I don't want a huge change to the graphics, they're fine as is.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Well, I'm hoping it will just have HD Brawl style art. I don't want a huge change to the graphics, they're fine as is.
But would they look fine as well in HD?
One thing I learned from the untoon meme is that not all the things that looked good in low res will automatic look better in high res, rather than dropping in the uncanny valley instead.
Raising the detail implies even raising the animations and try the best to make them look realistic or at least alive like.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
But would they look fine as well in HD?
One thing I learned from the untoon meme is that not all the things that looked good in low res will automatic look better in high res, rather than dropping in the uncanny valley instead.
Raising the detail implies even raising the animations and try the best to make them look realistic or at least alive like.
High res does not mean more realistic graphics. How many times do I have to say this?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
High res does not mean more realistic graphics. How many times do I have to say this?
True, but then they have to choose if making them looking like organic creatures or just plastic action figures a la Small Soldiers.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
True, but then they have to choose if making them looking like organic creatures or just plastic action figures a la Small Soldiers.
Do the characters in Dreamworks or Pixar films look like they're on either end?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Do the characters in Dreamworks or Pixar films look like they're on either end?
Good point. That art style would work very well with the toony characters, expecially the furry ones. I justy wonder if it would work as good as well with the more realistic characters like Link, Marth, Snake, Captain Falcon and Samus Aran.
I think they will have to redesign them and make them more toony. Very flexible faces, exgaretated expressions and loaded features (as long as Captain falcon stays some steps from being like Crimson Chin).

Spire

III
BRoomer
SSB4 should morph every char...

**** it, I'll mock up some character designs and get back to you guys.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Good point. That art style would work very well with the toony characters, expecially the furry ones. I justy wonder if it would work as good as well with the more realistic characters like Link, Marth, Snake, Captain Falcon and Samus Aran.
I think they will have to redesign them and make them more toony. Very flexible faces, exgaretated expressions and loaded features (as long as Captain falcon stays some steps from being like Crimson Chin).
Realistic in proportions does not mean realistic in appearance.So far, several crossovers, including Smash, have been able to put characters of different proportions in their games without any problems. We don't need to have everyone look like they're out of Steamboat Willie (though that seems like a fun project to do this winter).

Just to start off with KFP as a base point, here's what could be done:
  • Clothes textures can vary per character. This has been seen to not stick out so much in Tekken Tag 2 with their Nintendo costumes.(Sadly, Nina doesn't have the Zero Suit.)
  • All clothes behave in a realistic fashion.
  • Hair will ALWAYS behave realistically. However, the detail in the hair will vary. Mario characters will stay as they do in the art, but someone like Zamus will have her hair appear realistic like a Final Fantasy character.
  • Characters with fur will look and behave realistically, this includes going down and growing darker when wet. Pokemon are more of an exception than a rule, but this depends on the Pokemon in question.
  • Jiggle physics can happen. It's ok. Girls have boobs and they naturally do that. There's nothing wrong with gravity behaving appropriately.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Realistic in proportions does not mean realistic in appearance.So far, several crossovers, including Smash, have been able to put characters of different proportions in their games without any problems. We don't need to have everyone look like they're out of Steamboat Willie (though that seems like a fun project to do this winter).

Just to start off with KFP as a base point, here's what could be done:
  • Clothes textures can vary per character. This has been seen to not stick out so much in Tekken Tag 2 with their Nintendo costumes.(Sadly, Nina doesn't have the Zero Suit.)
  • All clothes behave in a realistic fashion.
  • Hair will ALWAYS behave realistically. However, the detail in the hair will vary. Mario characters will stay as they do in the art, but someone like Zamus will have her hair appear realistic like a Final Fantasy character.
  • Characters with fur will look and behave realistically, this includes going down and growing darker when wet. Pokemon are more of an exception than a rule, but this depends on the Pokemon in question.
  • Jiggle physics can happen. It's ok. Girls have boobs and they naturally do that. There's nothing wrong with gravity behaving appropriately.
Jiggle phisics? **** yeah!

As for all the rest of what you said.
I think the realism, by now, should be concentrated more on the movements (even while standing) than on the appearance. THAT is what I mean for making them look alive!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Who cares if that think has boobs if the rest of it looks so freaky?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I don't agree but that was just a sample. The same could happen to Samus Aran and Princess Peach. Not sure about Princess Zelda thought. However, jiggle phisic can have other employements. Mario and Luigi's Kirby and Jigglypuff's whole bodies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's not an attractive face, and it's clothing is a too basic design. Nothing fashionable about it

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Well, that's the actual version. No one say she can't be elaborated fore the next installement.
I know there are other people besides me be that like and want her, but you are not one of them, period!
The characters section is that way. Let's get back to the thread, shall we?

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I think it should have an art style more similar to Melee; simple and cartoony, but with high res lighting and what not. I'm not a fan of the high-detail, blue-filter stuff in Brawl, it kind of kills the feel of the characters and the game as a whole. I was really disappointed with their representation of Mario in particular.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wii U groundbreaking graphics, as long as the characters don't fall into the uncanny valley. O_O

@KumaOso We all know Palutena, Samus, and Peach are fitting for that role. Plus, it gives another reason why the game should get a T rating (There are plenty of A and B rated games in Japan with jiggle physics).:awesome:

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Gravity does not behave like "jiggle physics," and even if it did, Nintendo characters aren't busty enough for it to be noticeable.

"Girls have boobs and they naturally do that." Seriously? Have you ever seen an actual woman in motion before?

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I like the damage idea, minor stuff though.
I know a broken helmet for the Captain and an X on Meta Knight's face was planned at some point.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What do you guys think about them deliberately sticking to the art styles of the original sources instead of trying to unify them. I mean, look at Gumball.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
But some characters in Gumball do look different, plus like it has been said; maybe for the box and promotional stuff; they should have a unique art like SSB64, but in game; the feeling from their different games must be kept.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's what I'm getting at. The character designs and their very art style are all over the place in Gumball. Perhaps that's how it needs to be.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What do you guys think about them deliberately sticking to the art styles of the original sources instead of trying to unify them. I mean, look at Gumball.
I think that would take too much work and probably wouldn't be worth the payout. All the characters already have unique character designs that reflect the art styles of the people who created them so I don't think there's much of a point of trying to emphasize that even further. Gumball, on the other hand, is the creation of one team and the character's histories are limited to just that show. One of the things that I liked about Brawl's art direction is that despite the differences in their appearances, they still made it appear plausible that all the characters could all somehow exist in the same universe.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
That show is incredibly unappealing visually to me, I can't even watch a full episode. If smash went that route I'd seriously reconsider buying the games.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's actually one reason why I like the show so much.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
well, the characters already have a unique art style depending on the franchise they come from... after all, they were designed by different people.

are you sure these five characters have the same art style...? I don't think so...
[COLLAPSE="Pit, Ness, Mario, Snake and Link"]

[/COLLAPSE]

we even have 8-bit Assist Trophies in Brawl, remember?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, I was thinking more like how they resemble in their games. With the case of Mario, his textures would just simply change. Same could possibly go for Ness.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
you mean less realistic looking appearences?

a good comparison would be comparing Mario's appearences in Brawl and in his original games.
[COLLAPSE="Brawl Mario Vs. NSMBU Mario"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
I like how Brawl's artwork showed alot of the texturing of the characters and their clothing. It made the game seem more realistic

Top Bottom