• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Why are people concerned about spoilers? It's literally watched just for the information. It doesn't have a plot or shocking things or anything.
I'm just doing it for fun.
Sure, while I'm not overly hyped so there's really no point. I like to be surprised every now and then.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
YES!!! That's what I'm hoping for tbh.
As are all of us.
Yeah, I heard about that, too bad I wasn't there to see it. Guess I'll have to settle for the Johnknight has Ridley confirmed girly squeal. *shurgs*
1. I don't have girly screams.
2. It won't be as loud because my Mega Man hype was higher than my Ridley hype.
3. We're getting K. Rool because of my streak of my #3 newcomer picks being confirmed is a perfect 3/3 for every newcomer reveal (although another streak was broken, so the rule of streaks continuing may be out the window).
4. If we get K. Rool, that means unless we get Ridley as well tomorrow, Ridley is my #3 for E3.
5. If we get K. Rool and Ridley tomorrow, that makes Palutena my #3 pick for E3.
6. I scream in the most testosterone driven voice ever.
7. You can't handle THE INTENSITY I BRING!!!!

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Okay, so, just a weird question coming from an uninformed peasant, but everyone is expecting Shulk to be in the game, but he's not really a Nintendo character, is he? I mean, Xenoblade Chronicles was published by Nintendo, and only available on the Wii, but it was produced by Monolith soft, so technically it's not a Nintendo franchise, right? I'm trying to think of other characters that are in Smash Bros. that have that same sort of background and I'm coming up short.

I mean think about it, every other character in the game is from a game made specifically by Nintendo themselves, third-party characters aside. The only exception to this I can spot is Diddy Kong, who was created by Rare, which Nintendo owned at the time. Nintendo bought the rights to Diddy Kong after Rare got bought out by Microsoft, so again it comes down to it being a Nintendo-owned franchise character. Ness is in a similar boat, I suppose, seeing how the EarthBound games were produced by Hal, but I'm pretty sure Hal is at least partly owned by Nintendo as well, since they produce the Kirby games too.

Sorry if I'm being a pigeon pooping on a picnic here, but I guess I'm confused as to why everyone seem so confident and certain Shulk will be in Smash when it doesn't seem he's owned by Nintendo in any way. Someone educate me. :p

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It doesn't have shocking things or anything.
I would beg to differ.

I am quite certain there will be some shocking thing will be unveiled. it would be under best dramatic effect if it was watched in the direct.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Mario always gets the spotlight, it's kind of generic at this point for him to be leading the pack. I just liked the pic of him jumping on Bowser, because it has more personality than "Oog Mario at front he strong man"
Yeah, I know. I thinks that's cool, just saying. Also yay Luigi nose.
legendofrob1 I meant plot twist way in life. Worded it wrong.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Okay, so, just a weird question coming from an uninformed peasant, but everyone is expecting Shulk to be in the game, but he's not really a Nintendo character, is he? I mean, Xenoblade Chronicles was published by Nintendo, and only available on the Wii, but it was produced by Monolith soft, so technically it's not a Nintendo franchise, right? I'm trying to think of other characters that are in Smash Bros. that have that same sort of background and I'm coming up short.
Monolith Soft is 100% owned by Nintendo, which makes Monolith Soft a 1st party, which makes Xenoblade Chronicles a 1st party franchise.

Pretty much Monolith at this point is the same as the Nintendo R&D teams that make Mario and Zelda games.
....and I would really appreciate Professor Layton to be in this fine game.

Please, be a gentleman about who you support.
Wario ain't be gentle to no man or woman that doesn't give him the gold. :troll:

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please do keep your posts at least a little substantial. It is hard to contain the hype, I know but don't spam this thread with unnecessary posts.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I would find great hilarity if Iwata doesn't make that hand gesture this one time! :laugh:
You know he will probably do. :p

The real question is whether or not Sakurai will do it as well.

Less than one day to this big event. Wow. Many hype. Such excited. Much people. Wow.

I'm also positive we'll get a character reveal, as with previous Directs. This being a Smash themed Direct, there may be more than one...

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270

I mean think about it, every other character in the game is from a game made specifically by Nintendo themselves, third-party characters aside. The only exception to this I can spot is Diddy Kong, who was created by Rare, which Nintendo owned at the time. Nintendo bought the rights to Diddy Kong after Rare got bought out by Microsoft, so again it comes down to it being a Nintendo-owned franchise character. Ness is in a similar boat, I suppose, seeing how the EarthBound games were produced by Hal, but I'm pretty sure Hal is at least partly owned by Nintendo as well, since they produce the Kirby games too.

Sorry if I'm being a pigeon pooping on a picnic here, but I guess I'm confused as to why everyone seem so confident and certain Shulk will be in Smash when it doesn't seem he's owned by Nintendo in any way. Someone educate me. :p
I was wondering this too, being as I never played it

From what I could see on a list of Monolith Soft's games, they've been pretty buddy buddy with nintendo the last several years. Nintendo might own the rights to Xenoblade (hint: it's not xenogears or xenosaga but something new)

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well, i gotta say i never thought Rosie had quite a sexy voice, yep i just said this.
You certainly wouldn't be the only one! :p

-----

I wish I could join some people in watching it, but I'll probably have to do it solo. I also considered filming my reaction, but I'm sick now, and I don't want to do it in such a state. :c

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
well, to pass the time, I've been listening to this on repeat. It really does make time fly! I might eventually try listening to this while reading a good book sometime.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Monolith Soft is 100% owned by Nintendo, which makes Monolith Soft a 1st party, which makes Xenoblade Chronicles a 1st party franchise.

Pretty much Monolith at this point is the same as the Nintendo R&D teams that make Mario and Zelda games.
Ahhhh, okay. After reading up on their Wiki, I do see that now. Thank you for the information. I forgot they were the ones who produced Baten Kaitos as well.

I think that's Chrom's pose on the Awakening box art.

OOOOOOOHHHHHH now I see it. I thought his cape was an arm and Ridley's hand was the hand. Made him look like he had one massive clawed arm.

The character I imagined actually sounds pretty cool. I'm going to draw it.

D

Deleted member

....and I would really appreciate Professor Layton to be in this fine game.

Please, be a gentleman about who you support.
He also needs to fix his grammar.:p

@ Bauske Bauske I checked the back of the Xenoblade box and it says "(C) 2010-2011 Nintendo/Monolith Soft."

Last edited by a moderator:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
What if they decide not to put shulk, but put in the main protagonist from Monolith Soft's upcoming game currently titled "X"?

How would you feel about this?

CrimsonVallier

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KipVallier
3DS FC
3866-8291-8606

Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo thats why.
Also The game is a MASTERPIECE!
EDIT/Ninja'd

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What if they decide not to put shulk, but put in the main protagonist from Monolith Soft's upcoming game currently titled "X"?

While I do want Shulk in, I'm fine with X's protagonist taking his place. He seems more likely anyway.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I'll be going to bed really soon.

I'll probably stay in bed until 12 tomorrow because I'm sick, so that's a lot of time killed with just that.

I'll TRY to make some progress on a Web Authouring project. Failing that, I'll mess around on here or play a game (might play Smash in anticipation).

My family will be doing a small cake for me and a few relatives might come over.

At that point it should at least be 8 o'clock, so I'd probably have a shower and maybe watch more of the F-Zero anime, and maybe watch some South Park too.

In the half hour before the Direct, I'll use my brother's computer to open the stream page, so I can watch it on a big HDTV.

And yeah. I should be fine tomorrow. Bonus points if tomorrow's PotD is easy to get a discussion out of.

As for newcomer and veteran, Professor Layton is my most desired newcomer, while Snake is my most desired veteran.
Man, I hope you can enjoy your birthday. Get better dude. Enjoy the Direct.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
While I do want Shulk in, I'm fine with X's protagonist taking his place. He seems more likely anyway.
But...Smash might release in a few months time and we don't even know anything about X's protagonist, or really the game in general. Shulk on the other hand is a very popular character worldwide with lots to obviously pull from, and a game with a rich amount of content to utilize.

X does seem like a really cool game that's going to pull quite a good bit from the success of XBC, but honestly I don't get why people keep focusing on X's protagonist. This is Smash, not PSABR.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
My ways to pass the time: programming classes, listening to video game and anime music, reading manga, being on these forums, among others...

He also needs to fix his grammar.:p

@ Bauske Bauske I checked the back of the Xenoblade box and it says "(C) 2010-2011 Nintendo/Monolith Soft."
Much like how Fire Emblem games say "(C) <YEAR> Nintendo / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS".

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I'm glad I'm off for the Direct. I can't contain hype very well. :p

metaknave

Smash Apprentice
Glad I've got a full day tomorrow. Wake up at 8, English, Stress Management, get home by 4:30, make dinner, then it's Direct time at 6! Lady Palutena, I'm rooting for ya! 22.5 hours to go!

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes

It would be an odd choice - especially considering the last trailer heavily suggests Shulk will also be in X. It wouldn't be awful if they chose this possible new protagonist, but the lack of any established information about him makes Shulk the more believable choice, especially with his continued relevance in X.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
After the Direct, I'm going to watch the reaction videos. Those are always hilarious.

Kumatora

Smash Cadet
So... why's everyone expecting Layton? I mean, the series isn't owned by Nintendo, so he'd end up being a 3rd party character. Are people actually expecting him, or just kind of hoping?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I wish I actually had a top-hat like the Professor's.

Oh, sorry, was I being off-topic? My sincerest apologies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm glad I'm off for the Direct. I can't contain hype very well. :p
Well, hype is known to be a quite volatile substance. HANDLE WITH CARE. It can cause explosions, induce lack of sleep, chronic forum browsing and excessive feelings of excitement.

....um.

that just doesn't seem right...
That's Prince Layton or Professor Sable or SOMETHING ELSE. Someone thought doing the fusion dance would be a good idea. How wrong that went! :troll:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So... why's everyone expecting Layton? I mean, the series isn't owned by Nintendo, so he'd end up being a 3rd party character. Are people actually expecting him, or just kind of hoping?
I don't think it's as much as "expecting" as people are just "hoping" to see him.

His third party status does put him on shaky grounds though I agree...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I know it sounds curious, but my gut intuition doesn't lie.

Last edited:

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
It would be an odd choice - especially considering the last trailer heavily suggests Shulk will also be in X. It wouldn't be awful if they chose this possible new protagonist, but the lack of any established information about him makes Shulk the more believable choice, especially with his continued relevance in X.
Shulk or X protagonist, I just want him to say "huge succeeded" at the end of a match, because that's about the extent I'm familiar with the games :chuckle:

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
I personally think that a character like Shulk is extremely likely. Just take a look at all the characters we got from last years E3. Megaman, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer all share one particular thing with each other, they all represent franchises that haven't been represented before in a smash game. Now I don't know if they deem this Direct as important as the E3 one, but I would assume they might want to keep following that trend they set themselves with last direct.

Of course they might decided to take a whole different route with this direct, maybe by showing fan favourites this time around. That said I do think Sakurai tried to get a point across last E3 with the character reveals which makes me very positive about the chances Shulk has of being in this game, regardless of if they show him this direct.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
This is so right. The Ustream was almost impossible to watch; I was at like 144p on all 3 streams (Japan, Europe, and Americas) on Ustream that was very choppy and kept having video and audio issues, but on the US/Japanese Youtube stream, I got it all at a smooth 720p with literally no issues whatsoever.

The ending sucks because it's entirely fan made and the fan(s) who made it had to make something randomly.
No I mean the ending of the actual Smash 4 theme in that original trailer. Where it just adds in that random little jingle and limply ends.

Top Bottom