• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
I'm surprised that no one mentioned how slow the gameplay looked and how there where no combos. Hopefully it will still be as competitive as I hope.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Why are so many people claiming Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Mewtwo are disconfirmed? There is zero evidence for that.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Are you guys sure that Ridley is deconfirmed? Similar to what someone said in the previous comments, the tail of Ridley in the direct was a gray color and the original's is purple. http://smashboards.com/attachments/metaridley-png.11695/ Meaning the one we saw was META Ridley.

Remember when we saw Toon Link in the spirit tracks stage and we all thought he was deconfirmed? Well it ended up that he wasn't. This goes for Ridley as well, he can be a stage character and a character on the roster.
Hopefully. Ridley's fate is seemly not as worst as Mewtwo's fate.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Why are so many people claiming Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Mewtwo are disconfirmed? There is zero evidence for that.
No Transform characters
Both Transform characters ZSS and Sheik are shown because of that

Charizard is shown, but Ivy and Squirtle are nowhere to be seen, not even mentioned. They're not coming back.

As for Mewtwo, hes not disconfirmed, but his chances have gone down dramatically.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I think it's kind of a reference to the Stone Tower Temple.
I still would have preferred the Moon falling.
I mean, Palkia does the EXACT same thing as Skull Kid..
Eh, minor complaint. At least Skull Kid is even in the game.

Shalashaska

Banned via Warnings
Now that I think about it, Greninja was the only really disappointing part of the Direct for me. He looks cool and all, but it just seems like an odd choice, and I was expecting pretty much anyone else. This also kind of goes with his inclusion, but I'm pretty bummed that there's very little chance for both Mewtwo and Jigglypuff to return.

K41Z0

Smash Cadet
Are you guys sure that Ridley is deconfirmed? Similar to what someone said in the previous comments, the tail of Ridley in the direct was a gray color and the original's is purple. http://smashboards.com/attachments/metaridley-png.11695/ Meaning the one we saw was META Ridley.

Remember when we saw Toon Link in the spirit tracks stage and we all thought he was deconfirmed? Well it ended up that he wasn't. This goes for Ridley as well, he can be a stage character and a character on the roster.
Continuing on the Ridley topic, just because he was a boss character in the previous game doesn't mean he can't be a playable character this game. Little Mac was an assist trophy, yet he is one of the newcomers for this upcoming smash bros.

Kokusho

Smash Apprentice
Let's be honest, the 3DS version will pay for the developpement of the Wii U version. If it wasn't for the 3DS, Nintendo wouldn't give a big enough budget, there is just not enough Wii U out there right now to expect ground breaking sales for SSB4 Wii U.
Also the 3DS is a wonderfull device and I can't wait to play Super Smash on it, the sooner the better.
Finally on the plus side, having the 3DS version being release before the Wii U give Nintendo a way to get usefull feedback to further improve the Wii U version.

Stop hating the 3DS.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I think what I like most about this Direct is they're confirming they're going to ****ing try to make Online mode playable.

Last edited:

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
- The divergence from transformations. It's nice that Zamus and Sheik will hold their own ground now. Zelda's new down-special, although it was predictable (to me), is a welcome change. This notion also de-confirms the Diddy / Dixie duo more or less.

Interesting things I noticed:
- Diddy's art that is seemingly kept from Brawl in certain places.
At first I was with you on your no combo situation. But the fact that they keep using Diddy's Brawl art and not the SSB4 art (like they do EVERY OTHER CHARACTER) makes me raise an eyebrow. They are doing that on purpose. They could be hiding the Dixie combo.

Dairz

Smash Ace
The cinematic trailer also shows Darkrai, Chespin, Snivy, and the cotton candy pokemon. Their models match the other confirmed Pokemon, think those guys will be in Pokeballs too?

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to play the devil's advocate here, but Ridley only being shown in shadow isn't necessarily a hint that there's more to it than that. It might just mean that Ridley's model isn't ready yet, which might also be why we still haven't seen even though he was hinted as a boss last August. I mean, Sakurai said clearly that there would be other stage bosses just only to be followed with Ridley's shadow. It seems very conclusive to me and I can't share the optimism. :/

Otherwise, this was a great direct! I only have a 3DS so I am happy that I'll get to play the game relatively soon and that I won't have to buy a WiiU just yet. Greninja was random as hell. I thought it was Mewtwo at first, but deep down I knew that something was very wrong. I'm only familiar with the first two gens so I had no idea what a Greninja was lawl. I'm glad to see Charizard since I was always a Charizard guy in elementary school. Now I'll have to seek out every single one of those Blastoise jerks and rub it in their faces, 15 years later. I do think that Squirtle and Ivysaur are gone. The Fire/Water fully evolved pokemons pretty much serve as good representatives of all Pokemon starters (sorry grass fans, if there is any of you). Substitute LOVE.

Mixed about some of these ATs. Sad that Lyn was snubbed again, but I expected as much, I'm happy that she's still relevant enough to have a role. Same with Midna, whose AT status is actually an upgrage. Lots of LoZ items this time around.

Sakurai got me good with the ZSS thing lol. Namco sure had fun with her model lol. I'm glad that they split her and regular Samus at least, hopefully Zamus will get a much better FS. Yoshi was obvious, way overdue.

The move customizer is very intriguing. And I like most of the tweaks to old characters. This looks very promising for Ganondorf. I can't imagine him not being completely different this time around.

I didn't expect so much info so all in all I'm very pleased!

ZealRed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZealRed
3DS FC
5026-4454-7119
Did anybody notice on the Charizard and Greninja trailer, there is this part where Greninja knocks Mario to the right and Charizard to the left? I think that is a new stage. Correct me if I am wrong please.

James92

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jgrim92
My reaction when Sakurai showed Samus' FS:

Me: Hum... same FS as before. Nothing to get excited about. Wait... why is she not losing her armor?
Sakurai: As you can see, Samus now keeps her armor after using her FS
Me: No... this can't possibly mean...
Sakurai: Unfortunately, this means that ZSS won't be returning this time around
Me: Oh crap...
Sakurai: Just kidding
Me: You mother****er...
I reacted the same exact way. Then when Zelda was shown, I started worrying about Sheik not returning. Obviously that feeling didn't last long.:grin: :sheikmelee:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Here are my thoughts as I'm digesting everything we just saw:

- A Final Destination for every stage and "For Glory" mode. Brilliant. A really well-executed compromise for competitive players.
- Online in general looks really well done this time around.
- I'm not even particularly into the Mega Man series and his final smash nearly brought a tear to my eye. All of the new final smashes look pretty cool.
- No more transformation characters! Makes sense, as it was always kind of a dumb mechanic and left huge openings. Nice to get some clarification on the phantom, it looks like a good move. Zero Suit Samus and Sheik look great in HD, although Samus has not survived Other M without getting sexed-up a bit, which is sad. At least there's a reason for the high heels now! Sort of? Charizard looks boss too. Things aren't looking good for Squirtle or Ivysaur, Squirtle in particular, but who knows. I think those are cuts most people can live with.
- I can't help but notice that Tingle wasn't featured in the long parade of Assist Trophies... And we already have two new Zelda Assists... Hmmmm... I also like that Waluigi is officially the mascot of Assist Trophies. That's a somewhat dignified position to hold I guess. Lots of the new ones look cool (love the pong one) although the fact that Skull Kid is a Palkia clone rather than a Snorlax clone is pretty bewildering.
- Bombchus get added to the increasingly lengthy list of Zelda items, and they look like a lot of fun.
- Yoshi has arrived, so we can finally stop waiting for that. Sakurai's justification for holding off this long makes no sense to me, I guess maybe they were working on balancing the new way he moves or something, but I could hardly tell any difference at all.
- Olimar was my main in Brawl, so while I'm glad to see he has a vastly improved recovery, I'm disappointed to learn that spamming Pikmin no longer seems like a viable option. The other veteran changes are interesting but didn't catch my attention quite as much.
- My other main in Brawl was Snake, who I'll admit is not looking very likely at this point. Sheik getting grenades that look like they work exactly the same way as his was definitely another big nail in the coffin, Kojima's interview being the first. I'm still holding out hope, but preparing myself for disappointment.
- Smash Run looks really fun, and is even making me consider getting a 3DS (that plus getting the game sooner). City Trial has always been one of my favorite multiplayer experiences, and adding it to smash seems like a recipe for kickass.
- Customizable moves look like they'll be a lot of fun to play around with. I think the coolest one I saw was changing Kirby's Inhale into Ice Breath. If that level of change is possible, there's gonna be a lot of interesting possibilities. Although maybe it just turns people into ice when he spits them out, I'd have to see it again to be sure.
- Boss stages... Okay, sure. It's a fairly creative way to include the boss battles from the subspace emissary without giving them an entirely separate mode. However, it's only remotely okay because of the "Final Destination" versions of stages existing.
- Speaking of bosses, we got ********** with Ridley big time. If Sakurai is going to play with us this much and NOT have Ridley be playable, he's kind of a ****. I honestly believe that if Ridley was a boss and a boss only, he would have just shown us more than an ominous shadow with no direct mention of who is casting it. Sakurai obviously knows how many people want Ridley and wants to keep us guessing. Same thing with the Palutena fake out, although the leak has already confirmed her in a lot of people's minds. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that we were totally supposed to think Greninja was Mewtwo while he was hiding in the shadows, like a lot of people did. And we saw Kritters in Smash RUn, so what the ****, let's say K. Rool got teased too. Sakurai is saving the mega hype characters for E3 and wants to keep us on our toes. And hey I don't think I'm in denial, because I will freely admit that Snake is probably gone baby gone. But Ridley, Palutena, and Mewtwo are all on the horizon, I'm telling you.
- I'm kinda meh about Greninja. He's one of the cooler looking new Pokemon, and I just noticed that his scarf is actually his tongue, which is hilarious, but we already have a ninja and a kung-fu pokemon and I'm gonna miss Squirtle. He was totally unexpected and he looks like fun to play as, but he doesn't excite me the way a lot of other reveals would. And for some reason he makes me wary about Takamaru, because we would be hitting Japanese warrior critical mass now if he gets in.
- Add Captain Falcon to the list of characters confirmed by Assist Trophies. No surprise there.
- We've got 30 characters now and lots more obvious returnees still in the pipeline. I think that expecting only 40 characters can officially be declared ridiculously pessimistic.
- Finally, Sakurai seems like a really fun and sharp guy who listens to fans. Even if he is a troll.

Tl;dr
- It was a pretty awesome direct. I really have no complaints. Lots of completely new and exciting info that nobody could have expected. A little less hype on the character front than we were expecting but whatever, there's lots and lots to look forward to after today beyond characters, and lots of teases for more characters to come. That said, here's an exhaustive list of character info:

- Characters who actually got revealed: ZSS, Sheik, Yoshi, Charizard, and Greninja
- Characters who actually got deconfirmed (that had any chance whatsoever): Deoxys, Chespin, Fennekin, Meowth, Arceus, Tom, Nook, Samurai Goroh, Lyn, Midna, Dark Samus, and Saki Amamiya
- Characters who aren't looking so hot: Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Red running around in the background
- Characters who got teased but are still up in the air because Sakurai is a ******* man: Ridley, Palutena, Mewtwo, K. Rool (The Elite Four)
- Characters who seem like they may have a better chance based on the fact that they didn't appear: Tingle and some people are saying Hawlucha because he, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo didn't appear in the group shot in the Greninja trailer.
-Yay!

Last edited:

pitthekit

Smash Ace
No Transform characters

Charizard is shown, but Ivy and Squirtle are nowhere to be seen, not even mentioned. They're not coming back.

As for Mewtwo, hes not disconfirmed, but his chances have gone down dramatically.
Also I would imagine the pokemon series would get a limited number of characters to represent the series.

Shroob

Sup?
No Transform characters

I don't think Mewtwo suffers at all. By that logic wouldn't Jigglypuff too?

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
No Transform characters

Right. I forgot Sakurai never leaves anything ambiguous. Really now.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I don't get why people keep saying Mewtwo is deconfirmed. Do peoeple not realize that we actually lost a rep from brawl leaving even more space for him?
It's not that we have a set list of character slots, mind you.
He already decided what characters he was going to put in from the start, if I remember correctly.

So "more space" for any character is irrelevant. If he wanted to put in 100 characters from the start, then he'd probably do it. I highly doubt "character slots" are an actual thing and people just use it as a crappy way to predict the amount of characters we would get.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Ivysaur. IVYSAUR. WHERE ARE YOU?

That ****ing Charizard is back and he blew *** in Brawl.

I've just gotta hope you do the Zamus/ZeldaSheik thing and please just be a separate character. Don't let me lose two mains in a row.It's not okay I'm having a bit of a crisis right now you guys
There there you poor thing.
If it's any consolation at all (I'm sure it's not) when Charazard showed up in the trailer I immediately thought of you and your Ivysaur.

I'm a big Squirtle fan myself.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I've been meaning for a long time to make a list of all the stuff in Smash that's taken from Kirby games. Gotta get on that...

Also, while Gordos have been nerfed, I'm now 99.999% sure Bandana Dee is in. That's the only logical reason for normal Waddle Dees to be removed.
Ok, this is like the 3rd time I've seen this said.
WAS I THE ONLY ONE THAT SAW WADDLE DEES IN SMASH RUN? OR AM I GOING CRAZY?
Feels like I'm going crazy...
But I think he's basically deconfirmed too

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960

Since Samus is based on her Other M design, Ridley is as well. And as you can clearly see, he has a white part of his tail right there. More than likely, it's probably what happens when he gets damage enough to the point his spike end of the tail is destroy and only his bone is left. Probably the same premise when people in the fray keeps beating him down enough. Of course it showed how it was faded purple to white, but more than likely that's just graphical improvements to the engine and Wii U. Not saying he's deconfirmed, but that is definitely his tail.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I don't see why people say Mii's are in. They totally aren't. I also don't see why the direct helped Ridleys chances.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I certainly don't have the time to read through ALL of these responses, but did anyone else notice how FAST mario dropped shield and turned around? Assuming that's what happened, and there's not something else we're not completely seeing.

D

Deleted member

Not sure if you're satisfied or disappointed, but yeah, this Smash Direct blew up everyone's mind.

So, I know you're a big Mega Man fan, what did you think about his Final Smash? (Other Mega Man fans are welcome to answer! =D)
Mixed emotion. This game looks so awesome, the online is promising, Sakurai hasn't forgotten the Kremlings (potential K. Rool appearance anyone?), and Yoshi looks great as well. Yet on the other hand, Ridley is most likely disconfirmed, which really sucks and Greninja, while great, is so shocking that he just threw EVERYTHING under a ring hole. My head is spinning.

But I will say this, Mega Man's Final Smash is AMAZING! Sakurai has given Mega Man justice and that is something I can't thank him enough for. I need to think about all of this, thinking about making a thread about my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
There there you poor thing.
If it's any consolation at all (I'm sure it's not) when Charazard showed up in the trailer I immediately thought of you and your Ivysaur.
That is.. strangely comforting, thank you

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I don't like what they did with Samus and Zelda. At least everything was mostly canon before. Now they've just cloned characters from the same timeline.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
At first I was with you on your no combo situation. But the fact that they keep using Diddy's Brawl art and not the SSB4 art (like they do EVERY OTHER CHARACTER) makes me raise an eyebrow. They are doing that on purpose. They could be hiding the Dixie combo.
Yeah, it does concern me a little bit, but I also noticed that Diddy still has his bananas, (we knew this for a while) but in action. I have a pretty hard time imagining how she would be incorporated. I guess part of me is also in denial and doesn't want it to happen, as well.

Top Bottom