• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash bros needs more girls? Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

andimidna

Smash Master
Majority of my mains have been female
Zelda, Sheik, Peach, Samus, and Zero Suit Samus are all in my top 10 characters I use.
Rosalina is my favorite SSB4 newcomer.
I support female additions because there were none in Brawl. And I don't really care for male protagonists. Mostly, that is.
A roster full of only male protagonists sets me to sleep.

Mario got Rosalina. That's enough.
Yoshi has no choices. Baby Peach is pretty much it and that's a definite no.
WarioWare had Ashley. That's a no. WarioWare now has Mona and Kat and Ana. Kat and Ana have no reason to upgrade from an assist so Mona is possible. WarioLand has Captain Syrup, and WarioLand deserves much more than it got in Brawl, she's possible.
DK has Dixie Kong who is extremely likely and IMO more likely and deserving than K Rool.
Zelda has a lot. Toon Zelda/Tetra, Midna, and Impa. Wolf Link and Midna could be a transformation for Link. Functioning like ZSS to match Zelda's Sheik. Impa is the most recurring unrepresented character in the series. Tetra is pretty popular and recent. All are very possible.
Metroid has... no.
Kirby has... no.
Pokemon has.... well... they're all kind of... but not... no.
Kid Icarus has Palutena and Medusa. Both are awesome. Palutena is the most likely character IMO. Both are possible.
Fire Emblem has a lot. Lucina is probably the most likely. One of the 2 main lords of the most recent game with more uniqueness potential and story involvement than the other, very popular in Japan. Not given enough credit here. Robin is a possibiity. Anna and Tiki are among the most recurring characters in the series, they're possible, and very unique. Micaiah and Lyn had a larger chance for Brawl, but you can't count them out yet.
Starfox has Krystal, not just for being a female, popularity and uniqueness, so she's possible.
Retro has Lip, she's possible.
3rd partry has Bayonetta, unlikely but possible.

People aren't just adding them to add females. They have merits.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Nintendo buying Sega still doesn't make Amy Rose likely at all. Tails is far more iconic to Sonic, and Shadow is far more popular. Amy Rose has no place in this game.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Nintendo buying Sega still doesn't make Amy Rose likely at all. Tails is far more iconic to Sonic, and Shadow is far more popular. Amy Rose has no place in this game.
Considering how extremely famous the Sonic franchise is, they'd have five characters when or if Nintendo buys up SEGA. Provided, Amy can be playable.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
We're talking Smash Bros. for WiiU/3DS, not Smash Bros. 5.

During development for THIS Smash Bros., Sega is third party. Unless you're suggesting they'd delay development and character choices so that Sakurai can include Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Shadow and THEN Amy Rose.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
We're talking Smash Bros. for WiiU/3DS, not Smash Bros. 5.

During development for THIS Smash Bros., Sega is third party. Unless you're suggesting they'd delay development and character choices so that Sakurai can include Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Shadow and THEN Amy Rose.
They'd not delay the game even if Nintendo bought out SEGA before release of the game.

Smady

Smash Master
I don't know if Nintendo would buy up SEGA in the traditional sense. If it came to the point SEGA can't pay their bills, and the Japanese government won't lend them money or take over, Nintendo would probably just let them go bankrupt. Then they would pick up various assets and teams to liquidate into their own, but an outright buyout would be very costly, as they'd have to take on all the debt. /armchairanalyst

Remember when THQ went down, they sold off all the studios? SEGA has loads of lower level developers like Atlus under their hat. But I don't think SEGA is doing that bad... right?

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Sega's doing fine, I think people just want a way to have Mario vs. Sonic at the Smash Bros. for some reason and Sega getting bought is really the only way for that to happen right now.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I don't know if Nintendo would buy up SEGA in the traditional sense. If it came to the point SEGA can't pay their bills, and the Japanese government won't lend them money or take over, Nintendo would probably just let them go bankrupt. Then they would pick up various assets and teams to liquidate into their own, but an outright buyout would be very costly, as they'd have to take on all the debt.
I seriously doubt that Nintendo would let SEGA dry up like that, plus there have been tons of reports that Nintendo has a lot of backup money, so they could handle it.

Smady

Smash Master
I seriously doubt that Nintendo would let SEGA dry up like that, plus there have been tons of reports that Nintendo has a lot of backup money, so they could handle it.
It's not that simple. SEGA is a very big company to just buy up out of the blue and they'd need to be doing excessively badly for it to even be an option. Of course Nintendo can't just swoop in and say, "you're doing poorly, time to sell up," they need practically unanimous agreement on SEGA's part too. Which is why they'd need to wait for SEGA to go bankrupt, or near enough, and that would naturally allow their price to drop for it to become realistic. This isn't letting SEGA dry up, it's just business practice. So says me, self-proclaimed master of business.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It's not that simple. SEGA is a very big company to just buy up out of the blue and they'd need to be doing excessively badly for it to even be an option. Of course Nintendo can't just swoop in and say, "you're doing poorly, time to sell up," they need practically unanimous agreement on SEGA's part too. Which is why they'd need to wait for SEGA to go bankrupt, or near enough, and that would naturally allow their price to drop for it to become realistic. This isn't letting SEGA dry up, it's just business practice. So says me, self-proclaimed master of business.
They would not just barge in and order them to sell up, that's just rude. They would calmly express the situation. Nintendo and SEGA get along very well, you can not expect Nintendo to do it like a madman mob from one of the Matrix movies.

Smady

Smash Master
They would not just barge in and order them to sell up, that's just rude. They would calmly express the situation. Nintendo and SEGA get along very well, you can not expect Nintendo to do it like a madman mob from one of the Matrix movies.
That's precisely what I'm saying! Nintendo would just pretend not to be interested in SEGA until the right time to buy them up, then they'd get all the good PR that comes with that at a fraction of the price. It's a win/win situation for them to simply wait. But I think SEGA is doing relatively decent so this is at best years away. And I think other investors or the Japanese government may step in first to prevent the company from collapsing. I can see Nintendo helping to keep SEGA going maybe, but I've never heard of them making share deals. They've always just outright bought out companies or make game/IP deals, very cut and dry business philosophy.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
That's precisely what I'm saying! Nintendo would just pretend not to be interested in SEGA until the right time to buy them up, then they'd get all the good PR that comes with that at a fraction of the price. It's a win/win situation for them to simply wait. But I think SEGA is doing relatively decent so this is at best years away. And I think other investors or the Japanese government may step in first to prevent the company from collapsing. I can see Nintendo helping to keep SEGA going maybe, but I've never heard of them making share deals. They've always just outright bought out companies or make game/IP deals, very cut and dry business philosophy.
This is a stupid completely off topic argument, I'm outta here!

Smady

Smash Master
This is a stupid completely off topic argument, I'm outta here!
Ah sorry for getting off-topic.

Personally I imagine we'll get 2-3 more female characters, if we get 12-15 newcomers. Palutena is basically a lock, we already have Rosalina and WFT. I can see Medusa or Dixie Kong making it 4-5, but that's less likely.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I imagine Palutena, Dixie, and Toon Zelda/Tetra being the most likely right now, with TZ/Tetra being the least likely of those.

And then I also imagine female villager and female pokemon trainer, perhaps even female Robin ... I think in terms of adding female representatives, this game is doing particularly well in comparison to previous iterations.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I don't think the Avatar from Fire Emblem Awakening has a chance of being playable. I think Micaiah, and Lucina have a better chance. The former being more likely.

Smady

Smash Master
I doubt they'll add female Villager, just because the male one is more iconic and unlike male WFT, it may not line up perfectly with the prop move animations (WFT is all melee and only a handful of special moves). Same deal with Robin to an extent, as he has to use sword or weapon moves. Pokemon Trainer is also unlikely in my opinion, just because the trainer is always in the back anyway, so having to spend time on making another model for it seems a bit of a waste.

Although I could see Dixie or Tetra make it, sure, but they're definitely less likely than Palutena.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
It's pretty much just "I like Dixie more", if the other Dixie fans are anything to go by.

I personally don't understand how a tertiary protagonist is more important than a primary villain, but opinions are opinions.

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321
It's pretty much just "I like Dixie more", if the other Dixie fans are anything to go by.

I personally don't understand how a tertiary protagonist is more important than a primary villain, but opinions are opinions.
While I would love both of these characters, with Dixie, it comes down to relevance. King K. Rool has absent from the DK games for quite some time. While I can see the argument that Bowser is occasionly replaced with villians like Fawful or Smithy, this has been a lengthy occurence. While I do "like Dixie more," I do want K.Rool as well, and I do feel her chances of inclusion are higher than his based on her current relevance and her missing brawl character data.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well aside from Peach, Zelda, Sheik, Ice Climber's Nana, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Wii Fit Trainer (female) and Rosalina (and Jigglypuff if you count it as a female).

Other female characters I could see joining in is a female Villager alt, a female Mii, Palutena (Especially if that Leak is real), Toon Zelda (Especially if the Phantom really is hinting her), Tetra and perhaps Dixie Kong. I think that's more or less it. A pretty good number I'd think, especially from Melee and Brawl.

I would love to see Lip join in too.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Considering how extremely famous the Sonic franchise is, they'd have five characters when or if Nintendo buys up SEGA. Provided, Amy can be playable.
Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Shadow.

Five slots gone.

Personally in that scenario I'd choose Amy over Shadow (and have him remain an assist) but I'm not certain those in charge would feel the same.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I know ,I'm just curious to what his reasons are behind his statement
Back when K Rool was actually the villain of the DK games, Dixie ended up in Brawl's data. Not him.

Now Dixie has returned, and K Rool has not.
Nintendo doesn't seem interested in K Rool. But is going Dixie-Cranky-crazy. Currently marketing the characters: DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, the Snowmads, and the Tikis
The first 5 for Tropical Freeze, which will probably be the most recent DK game for a long time. And the 6th for Returns, MK7, and MK8.

The Team is backing up their choice of no K Rool and is denying rock formations resembling him. Just seems like they want nothing to do with the character.
Dixie is currently being shown as the 3rd DK character, and Cranky the 4th. K Rool just seems like a fan's dream to me. And he would be great.
I see them equal in uniqueness. Both able to have a complete set of unique moves, but no gimmicks. Neither are gimmicky... but have plenty to work off of.
K Rool is still a viable option, and it's great that so many people here like her. But Dixie's fanbase is actually growing, and almost reaching his. Almost.

Even if you see K Rool as the ideal choice due to reason A, reason, B, and reason C... do you really think he's more likely, and will be added? Or just a great choice that should happen?

When Rosalina was chosen as a 5th Mario rep she was marketed as the 5th hero of Mario in 3d World. If K Rool was to be added, Retro should have put him in Tropical Freeze. And I'm not saying this is a reason to think Dixie is likely, I'm only saying, if K Rool is playable, this is what Retro should have done. To stir up hype for K Rool. His only reasons to not be added would be gone. But this didn't happen. K Rool's want is still extremely high, but I don't consider his chance to be among the top 15. Although, I wouldn't have considered Villager or Wii Fit Trainer this either, despite me wanting Villager, I thought he was unlikely and would have considered WFT unlikely if I had thought of her. These kinds of things are not unheard of. So anything is possible.
I can agree that K Rool would make a great character. But I do like both Dixie Kong and Cranky Kong more. Both were very useful.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
I agree. We need Sakurai to start partying with ladies more often.

We need Krystal, Dixie Kong, Palutena, a female alternate suit for Villager if possible, and Amy Rose in a future title.
If that ever were to happen. Regardless of gender Amy Rose should be the last person they add.
To be honest, I think Amy would, at most, be an assist trophy, if it were to happen.

andimidna

Smash Master
To be honest, I think Amy would, at most, be an assist trophy, if it were to happen.
I think she actually has a very good shot at being an assist trophy.
I'd say 60%... I think 3rd parties are deserving of more than 1.
Shadow, Tails, and Amy are the Sonic assists I want.

But any as a playable character? no.

Kickback

Smash Cadet

I hope its not because thats not really a reason
Even if you see K Rool as the ideal choice due to reason A, reason, B, and reason C... do you really think he's more likely, and will be added? Or just a great choice that should happen?
Hey andimmidna thank you for you're reply( although a bit longer then I expected) unsuprisingly I don't agree on most of what you said but thanks to you're reply I can se where you're coming from. I'm not here to start a argument ( ore to try to convince you that you're way of thinking is wrong)so I'll refrain from doing so. How ever I will answer you're questions.

K.rool is a great choice that should happen, ask any supporter of any charecter and they will say pretty much the same. Is he more likely then Dixie? Had you asked me that before little Mac's revealI would have deffently said no Dixie not beeing reveald in the direct before dkcr:tf In my opinon hurt her chances not saying she's out of the picture just yet but its not favorable to her chances.

Will he be added? I'm not gonna be overly optemistic( seeing that I am a the glass i half empty kinda guy) and say probably not based on the fact that Sakurai is the one calling the shots on who gets in and who dosen't and also that I never get what I want.

Sorry for the derailing of this topic please continue

MYM'r

Smash Cadet
I say if they add the Kalos Trainer then they should use the female one.

andimidna

Smash Master
I hope its not because thats not really a reason

Hey andimmidna thank you for you're reply( although a bit longer then I expected) unsuprisingly I don't agree on most of what you said but thanks to you're reply I can se where you're coming from. I'm not here to start a argument ( ore to try to convince you that you're way of thinking is wrong)so I'll refrain from doing so. How ever I will answer you're questions.

K.rool is a great choice that should happen, ask any supporter of any charecter and they will say pretty much the same. Is he more likely then Dixie? Had you asked me that before little Mac's revealI would have deffently said no Dixie not beeing reveald in the direct before dkcr:tf In my opinon hurt her chances not saying she's out of the picture just yet but its not favorable to her chances.

Will he be added? I'm not gonna be overly optemistic( seeing that I am a the glass i half empty kinda guy) and say probably not based on the fact that Sakurai is the one calling the shots on who gets in and who dosen't and also that I never get what I want.

Sorry for the derailing of this topic please continue
I've heard that before, and I don't think it's true.
Characters can be revealed at any time and can be kept for E3 or be secret.
Diddy Kong promoted Tropical Freeze just as well as Dixie could.
And I see people using the argument that Diddy would have been revealed before to make room. And would have been revealed instead of Lucario for Brawl. But there are many more Pokemon to prepare for. If Lucario wasn't revealed, when would he have been? What about Jigglypuff? What about Mewtwo? What about Charizard? What about Squirtle? What about Ivysaur?
Much more prep needed there.
I'm not surprised at all that Little Mac would take precedence over Dixie Kong.
He's a much bigger deal. And referenced the series regardless of representing Punch Out.
And I don't think not getting a newcomer on Tropical Freeze's release date helps K Rool's chances at all.
Marth links to Awakening. Marth technically was not in Awakening. However, he's the most prominent FE character, so it's fine.
K Rool would link to Tropical Freeze if he was added, there is no other option for a game link. But if there's a general DK website, that would work to.
I think characters from already represented series do not get affected by time of reveal. Like Yoshi. Nobody should doubt Yoshi just because he wasn't revealed for New Island. And nobody is.
I'd even argue Wonder Red is just as viable as he was around the time of Wonderful 101's release. But it's arguably different for series that may receive no character.
But I have always firmly believed that theory on timed reveals and veterans to lead to newcomers is for the most part, baloney.

I hope Sakurai just makes the DK roster: DK, Diddy, Dixie, K Rool
I'd prefer that happen. But I honestly think if a 4th was added it would be Cranky.
They are making such big deals over Dixie and Cranky.
I hope you are right about K Rool, I want to see all the hype spread across the Smash sites! Oh, that would be amazing!
But I also hope I'm right about Dixie, she is one of my favorite videogame characters of all time.
Having both would be the ideal outcome. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I wanna know why everyone expects another Zelda character.
I mean it's entirely possible but everyone seems to be pretty sure there's gonna be another Zelda Character...

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I could see Kachi from Sin and Punishment happening
Guns, Deadly Legs, Hoverboard, Alien, Hell Yes

andimidna

Smash Master
I wanna know why everyone expects another Zelda character.
I mean it's entirely possible but everyone seems to be pretty sure there's gonna be another Zelda Character...
It's Nintendo's 2nd largest franchise and Mario and Pokemon are for sure both getting 5.
The balance was perfect in Brawl, they added in Toon Link as a last minute clone, this could possibly have been to balance the 3 main series.

The reason some think there won't be one, as there is not one stand-out rep (throughout each site)

On Miiverse, Ghirahim is among the 5 most requested characters. He's a big deal on there.

On Smashboards, the popular choice is Tetra.

The reason I definitely think there should be 1, is there are so many great possibilities.
Skull Kid, Phantom Zelda, Twinrova, Saria, and Navi have all been deconfirmed.
But there are so many choices left.

Midna is the most unique character (possibly not just as a Zelda character). And is 2nd/3rd in popularity. There are also rumors of Twilight Princess getting a sequel with her return.
Ghirahim is the most requested character. Epic boss of Skyward Sword. Easily the stand-out rep in most places.
Impa is the most important Zelda character not represented in any form, being in 8 games. Importance and recurrence could get her in. Also recent due to OoT3D, Skyward Sword, and ALBW.
Ganon is the more recurring form rather than Ganondorf, he has been the main villain of 10 games. And is recent due to ALBW.
Tetra is commonly considered the most likely character, 2nd in recency, 2nd in popularity, and some recurrence have lead to hear being the well-rounded inclusion.
Toon Zelda could be included with or without her. She has the same qualifications.
Toon Sheik was intended to be with Toon Zelda in Brawl as a clone character. Since Sheik is only in OoT and a toon version doesn't exist, this is unlikely unless as a last-minute addition. Although it is possible that Toon Sheik was just referring to Tetra as a Sheik clone.
Yuga, Ravio, and Hilda are the most recent characters, and have gained a lot of popularity recently.
Tingle is not only recurring in the Zelda series, but also has his own series of games.
Vaati is the most recurring villain after Ganon/dorf. Somewhat recent due to a re-release on the 3ds.
Fi is the most recent companion. Companions are a very important aspect of the series.
Groose is very popular and recent. In some places, more popular than Ghirahim.
Demise is the main villain/ final boss of the most recent main series title.
Happy Mask Salesman is plenty unique, recurring, and popular due to Majora's Mask getting recent love due to the possibility of a remake.

Their designs are very unique and interesting. Each has there merits. Each is possible. And hopefully, each can get in the game in some form.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Midna is the most unique character I can think of. (personal bias but also detailed knowledge on the character have lead me to thinking this). And is 2nd/3rd in popularity. There are also rumors of Twilight Princess getting a sequel with her return.
Curious. Where did you come across this rumor?

But yeah, I would be overjoyed if Midna or Ghirahim got in.

andimidna

Smash Master
It's a fake rumour that people that want Midna playable cling to in a false hope that she will be playable.
You're wrong.
It came about before Smash Bros for Wii U and 3ds was announced.
Curious. Where did you come across this rumor?

But yeah, I would be overjoyed if Midna or Ghirahim got in.
ZeldaInformer has reported on it. It's a pretty well known rumor... just look up "Zelda U a sequel" and it should pop up.
Zelda is either gonna get Tetra/Toon Zelda, Toon Zelda/Phantom or nothing.
I'm not one of the many on here that find her the most likely
I doubt her more than the rest due to being the only one with basically 0 uniqueness.
Toon Zelda's only move is a light arrow, Zelda's final smash.
Can't get much more lame than that. I doubt Sakurai wants to de-hype everybody with another lame clone, but as a newcomer.
Also, fans have confirmed Phantom Zelda is an Assist Trophy due to the animation Zelda is doing matching the one she used in Brawl. So that's a no.
They already had it in their minds in Brawl that Toon Zelda would be a clone. I think that has a large impact on her chances.
I don't expec last minute clones this time around. I think we'll be getting a much more quality game, they've tried many things, some have worked, some haven't. Well now is the time to make a great game filled of the things that worked. I can't see Toon Zelda's addition being positive, do you?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Fans can't confirm that it's an assist trophy. They don't work for Nintendo so they don't know s*** n__n

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom