• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros vs. Playstation All Stars

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Consider what your saying. We should be comparing this game to Smash, but it's sales are so bad that it has to be compared to TMNT. It's by far not a victory.
Never said it was a victory. Sure, there are parallels to TMNT given the numbers and similar position, but last time I checked Smash is still the game most everyone compares this to.

Sales are all that matters. These companies have to make money, and whether or not a sequel will happens depends how much income Sony can get.
I don't play sales, I play games, and for my money, PSABR is the closest any game has come to Smash Brothers, while still obviously falling short. Sales matter to companies, they don't matter when it comes to forming an opinion on a piece of entertainment.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Never said it was a victory. Sure, there are parallels to TMNT given the numbers and similar position, but last time I checked Smash is still the game most everyone compares this to.
My original comment was that TMNT is more competition. Even if Sony Smash over takes it (which is still uncertain), their sales numbers will be comparable. Yeah, Smash is the mold, but the figures are so far away to even discuss it as competition.

I don't play sales, I play games, and for my money, PSABR is the closest any game has come to Smash Brothers, while still obviously falling short. Sales matter to companies, they don't matter when it comes to forming an opinion on a piece of entertainment.
Whoa, let's back up here. This is the comment I originally responded to

Underwhelming sales aside, it's probably the closest any game has come to being a true competitor.
If we are going to even try and call the game competition, then we need to look at sales numbers and other financial results. In your little world, it may be competition. But when Nintendo executives make business decisions about their series, is Sony Smash gonna have them shaking in their boots? No. Sales are awful and they are right now worse than TMNT and aren't getting better (still in the bottom of the top 100 for week 3). It's clear Nintendo's customers aren't rushing out to buy Sony Smash and there isn't enough money to try and pursue their customers. Is Nintendo going to try and compete? No. They won a long time ago.

You can like it. That's no problem. But to call it competition is a false and misleading statement.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
I said "underwhelming sales aside", as in everything else having to do with the content the game. I think it's perfectly fair to say what Superbot created with PSABR is the most notable effort to challenge Smash and the most likely to draw comparisons in the future. Sure, looking only at sales, it might not be the biggest competition, but you don't need to be nipping on the heals of the leader to be considered a competitor.

I personally haven't made up my mind on PSABR yet, and do get the desire to rip on it, but Smash isn't going to be around forever. I'd rather see this genre grow than live and die by one franchise.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I said "underwhelming sales aside", as in everything else having to do with the content the game. I think it's perfectly fair to say what Superbot created with PSABR is the most notable effort to challenge Smash and the most likely to draw comparisons in the future. Sure, looking only at sales, it might not be the biggest competition, but you don't need to be nipping on the heals of the leader to be considered a competitor.

I personally haven't made up my mind on PSABR yet, and do get the desire to rip on it, but Smash isn't going to be around forever. I'd rather see this genre grow than live and die by one franchise.
Again, I'm just going to quote myself.

If we are going to even try and call the game competition, then we need to look at sales numbers and other financial results.
The reason I say this is
1)Sales are all that matters. These are companies trying to sell a product, so the ability to sell that product is the focal point of decisions. None of these guys are doing a charity, and all that stuff that you think is competing doesn't matter if it can't create a return. Do you think Sony is gonna keep making the game "just cause" or because they can make money.
2)If this game is competitive, it needs to compete. It needs to be where Nintendo would lose if they didn't act to the competitor. There is no proof that this game is competing. It's not in the same league. Again, see #1 as Nintendo wont change unless their profits get hit which Sony Smash isn't doing.

Let me put it this way: if this game is going to draw comparisons, it's going to be how NOT to do a game. This game is doing very poorly and all the evidence shows it. That's the situation and why it's not competitive. It's the same as taking an Olympic runner and put him against a 350 pound man for a 100 meter dash.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
The only comparison I've made is PSABR is the closest competitor Smash has yet to have. Not that it's a threat to Smash's sales, or even quality speaking on the same level.

There's a huge difference between all I've said and how you are choosing to interpret it with your sales tangent.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The only comparison I've made is PSABR is the closest competitor Smash has yet to have. Not that it's a threat to Smash's sales, or even quality speaking on the same level.
Then how the hell is it competing?

There's a huge difference between all I've said and how you are choosing to interpret it with your sales tangent.
If it's not sales, then how the hell is it competing? There is no point to this argument because there is no benchmark. You have gone so far as to ignore the obvious benchmark.

Basically, what the heck is your point. We've gone 4-5 post and you don't actually have a point.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Then how the hell is it competing?
Selling like gangbusters is not a requirement to compete; going after a share of the same market, offering an alternative, and/or attempting to make a contending product is. As a game, PSABR happens to be the closest attempt to reach that same game mascot, multiplayer platform-fighter audience. Not only is it the most relevant competition, PSABR is also Smash's biggest rival considering the content, budget, online play/support, and potential to sway some PS3 owners from buying a new Nintendo product for that kind of experience.

A week or two of less than expected sales is pixie dust for your crystal ball, not a means to disqualify a tittle as a competitor.

We've gone 4-5 post and you don't actually have a point.
My point is still the same, PSABR is a notable competitor by accomplishing things Smash is either behind on or other Smash inspired games have fallen short with. No need to inject more sales talk into the conversation.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Selling like gangbusters is not a requirement to compete; going after a share of the same market, offering an alternative, and/or attempting to make a contending product is. As a game, PSABR happens to be the closest attempt to reach that same game mascot, multiplayer platform-fighter audience. Not only is it the most relevant competition, PSABR is also Smash's biggest rival considering the content, budget, online play/support, and potential to sway some PS3 owners from buying a new Nintendo product for that kind of experience.
You realize everything you mentioned has to do with sales. Heck, you used the word "market share," for pete sake. You basically solidified my argument.

A week or two of less than expected sales is pixie dust for your crystal ball, not a means to disqualify a tittle as a competitor.
Remember that example with the 300 pound guy and the Olympic runner in a race. If that were to happen in real life, people wouldn't see it as a competition. They'd see it as a joke. You know who's going to win. The runner can jog his way to victory.

My point is still the same, PSABR is a notable competitor by accomplishing things Smash is either behind on or other Smash inspired games have fallen short with. No need to inject more sales talk into the conversation.
Seeing the data, it hasn't accomplished anything. heck, there may not be a sequel with such poor performance.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I think psa is better than smash is now. Based on actual gameplay. Sales don't really mean anything. That being said, it's a tad silly to compare sales with brawl because at the time Smash already had a dedicated fan base built from two previous games.

:phone:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
That being said, it's a tad silly to compare sales with brawl because at the time Smash already had a dedicated fan base built from two previous games.
This is the most sensible thing you've ever said.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think psa is better than smash is now. Based on actual gameplay. Sales don't really mean anything. That being said, it's a tad silly to compare sales with brawl because at the time Smash already had a dedicated fan base built from two previous games.

First, Smash on the 64 sold over 5 million copies. As a first game, it's doing poorly
Second, sales mean everything. Why do you think this game was made? It was made because Sony want Smash brothers sales. This game will likely not get a sequel because of poor sales.

I love Sony Smash because it proves that accessibility and not appealing to hardcore fans works. This game was made to trey and tap into dedicated fighting game fans and it's struggling. Smash appeals to everyone and prints money.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
You basically solidified my argument.
That what, PSABR not selling as much as Brawl somehow keeps it from being a competing product? How does me addressing this loony claim solidify your skewed logic? Last time I checked Kindle is still a competitor to the iPad and MacOs is still a competitor to Windows. It's no different here, PSABR is a competitor to Smash.

Seeing the data, it hasn't accomplished anything.
Great, so now sales numbers not only dictate what is a competitor, they also dictate if a game has accomplished anything. Please continue, I bet next you come up with some zany conclusion about Smash's audience based on PSABR sales... oh wait, you just did.

heck, there may not be a sequel with such poor performance.
You do know they are pretty clearly hiring for one, right? Care to explain, under your sales logic, how they are justifying a sequel?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That what, PSABR not selling as much as Brawl somehow keeps it from being a competing product? How does me addressing this loony claim solidify your skewed logic? Last time I checked Kindle is still a competitor to the iPad and MacOs is still a competitor to Windows. Don't understand why you think this is any different.
You defined competition as sales using phrases like "market share" and making a competitive product.

As for your example, the difference is that Kindle sell as do iPads. Sony Smash doesn't sell. Also, Windows and MacOS don't compete as Apple and Microsoft are in two totally different businesses. Again, I don't think you understand how businesses work, so you think they compete when they actually don't.

Great, so now sales numbers not only dictate what is a competitor, they also dictate if a game has accomplished anything. Please continue, I bet next you come up with some zany conclusion about Smash's audience based on PSABR sales... oh wait, you just did.
Seeing as, when asked what competition is you said "sales," I think it is.

I find your comment hilarious, actually. It shows how little you know of business or money. Again, the whole point of making these games is money. Sony and Nintendo exist to try and make a profit. It only makes sense that profits, and sequentially, sales, would be the main determiner of success. The rest doesn't matter if the company can't produce enough money to stay afloat.

The reason you think it's "zany" is you don't see the money. Video games are a business, so profits drive decisions. This is why everyone is trying to make another Call of Duty. It's also why the company behind Darks Souls want to make it more like Skyrim. Because Skyrim makes money. Heck, this game exist because Sony wants Smash Brothers sales. profits are the name of the game. With such a disparity in sales numbers (10.7 million last reported from Nintendo vs 0.22 million during the busiest shopping season).

It's pretty natural that the measurement of success for an entity that's sole purpose was to create a profit for its owners would be profits.

You do know they are pretty clearly hiring for one, right? Care to explain, under your sales logic, how they are justifying a sequel?
We'll see when it comes out. I'm saying it wont because it doesn't look like it's making money. Then again, this is coming from a company that is expected to go out of business in a few years.

Sales are low and there had to be quite a cost to acquire third party characters. Don't think Sony would pursue the series.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
You defined competition as sales using phrases like "market share" and making a competitive product. As for your example, the difference is that Kindle sell as do iPads. Sony Smash doesn't sell.
PSABR is selling, you posted numbers didn't you? May not be meeting sales expectations, but it's still technically competing for a share of consumers that enjoy Smash, some of which may not be as tempted to buy a WiiU for that experience now.

Success is one potential outcome of competition, but not every competitor starts or ends successful. Sales are just a metric, and at that, one of many ways games can be in competition with each other. Sorry that you think nothing else matters, or that a limited amount of sales data is enough to write a game off.

Windows and MacOS don't compete as Apple and Microsoft are in two totally different businesses. Again, I don't think you understand how businesses work, so you think they compete when they actually don't.
Any credibility you may have had on business or competition just flew out the window. Honestly, have you been living under a rock for the past 20 years? There is an unbelievable amount of conflicting interests they compete over, OS related and beyond:
*sigh

We'll see when it comes out. I'm saying it wont because it doesn't look like it's making money. Then again, this is coming from a company that is expected to go out of business in a few years.
PSABR is worth a lot more to Sony than what these initial numbers pull in. It's essentially in-game advertisement for their other products, a way to gauge consumer intrest in characters and older franchises, and dampen the pull Smash has for some Sony consumers. It's an investment for them that's not paying off immediately, but very well could in the long run.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
PSABR is selling, you posted numbers didn't you? May not be meeting sales expectations, but it's still technically competing for a share of consumers that enjoy Smash, some of which may not be as tempted to buy a WiiU for that experience now.

Success is one potential outcome of competition, but not every competitor starts or ends successful. Sales are just a metric, and at that, one of many ways games can be in competition with each other. Sorry that you think nothing else matters, or that a limited amount of sales data is enough to write a game off.
Currently, the game has sold 0.22 million. While it hasn't released in Japan, I doubt it's going to do well there. With Brawl at 10.7 million, Sony Smash has 2.1% of Brawl's sales. From it's current growth pattern, it will be lucky to break .5 million. Generally, for any big title, 1 million is average. Anything below that is weak. Using VGchartz's Brawl numbers (11.37) the percent would be 1.9%. None of this is very strong. Nintendo would easily hold 95% of the market share. This is pretty close to a Monopoly. 5% is also generous.

The problem here is Sony Smash is not successful at all. It's doing flat out pittaful, especially for a game with the purpose of bringing in Smash like sales.

Any credibility you may have had on business or competition just flew out the window. Honestly, have you been living under a rock for the past 20 years? There is an unbelievable amount of conflicting interests they compete over, OS related and beyond:
*sigh
I find your comments very funny. You scream "YOU DON'T GET BUSINESS. SEE! SEE!," yet you have no idea how the market works. tisk tisk.

Follow the money. Microsoft makes money by selling software and licensing out Windows. They would care about OS usage because that's how they make their money. Microsoft is in the software business. Apple is in the hardware business. Apple actually sells products like computers and phones. They make no money off the OS. Essentially, their OS-es are no different than Nintendo's. They are both just functions of the products. This is also why Apple has done better than Microsoft in consumer electronics markets.

Again. They are in different businesses. if you understood money, you'd see that.

Also hilarious how you dodged this. Might be more funny if you tried to reply.

[COLLAPSE="Quote"]
Seeing as, when asked what competition is you said "sales," I think it is.

I find your comment hilarious, actually. It shows how little you know of business or money. Again, the whole point of making these games is money. Sony and Nintendo exist to try and make a profit. It only makes sense that profits, and sequentially, sales, would be the main determiner of success. The rest doesn't matter if the company can't produce enough money to stay afloat.

The reason you think it's "zany" is you don't see the money. Video games are a business, so profits drive decisions. This is why everyone is trying to make another Call of Duty. It's also why the company behind Darks Souls want to make it more like Skyrim. Because Skyrim makes money. Heck, this game exist because Sony wants Smash Brothers sales. profits are the name of the game. With such a disparity in sales numbers (10.7 million last reported from Nintendo vs 0.22 million during the busiest shopping season).

It's pretty natural that the measurement of success for an entity that's sole purpose was to create a profit for its owners would be profits.
[/COLLAPSE]
Our argument ended a while ago and this is why.

PSABR is worth a lot more to Sony than what these initial numbers pull in. It's essentially in-game advertisement for their other products, a way to gauge consumer intrest in characters and older franchises, and dampen the pull Smash has for some Sony consumers. It's an investment for them that's not paying off immediately, but very well could in the long run.
Games are meant to sell, not to advertise. There are far better ways to advertise than make a whole new studio and make a full video game. Your basically moving the goal post.

This discussion isn't so much on if the game is successful or not It obviously isn't; a child could see that. It's that you want to believe it is. Sony Smash tried to be competitive while still retaining Smash like gameplay. Nintendo, however, has decided not to try and be a competitive friendly game. This game could be fuel to show why Nintendo should make a competitive friendly game. However, it proved the opposite. In it's first three week (when games sell the best) and in the holiday season, it can only muster up about 0.22 million. Even 1 million would be a far cry for Brawl's 10.7 (or 11.37). It shows this path is not successful, and Smash should not be tournament friendly. But if you can define the game as a success, then you could say Nintendo should be competitive friendly. That is what this argument is. It's pulling at straws and moving the goal post to try and define it as successful.

Smash becoming tournament friendly died with the release of Sony Smash. It's shown that the game can't survive trying to appeal to competitive players. Accessibility is a big reason why Smash is the best selling fighting game in the world. Sony Smash only proved that.
EDIT:wow, there were a lot of typos the first time I wrote this.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
The problem here is Sony Smash is not successful at all.
And like I mentioned success, which largely depends on context and your perspective, is not a requirement to compete. Now can you please stop pushing this stupid idea that PSABR cannot be referred to as a competitor? Sales-wise, it's currently not a big competitor, that's all.

Microsoft is in the software business. Apple is in the hardware business.
Apple is absolutely in the software business, they just tie everything to their hardware. Every mac you buy has the OS/software cost factored in. It's one reason why the price is so inflated for what hardware you are getting. Apple also makes money on the more frequent OS upgrades that cost money. Those can certainly total up with the rate software becomes incomparable with older versions of macOS. Sure, they have a different business model, but a big part of that business still falls into the software category.

Keeping it relevant to our discussion, Apple is still competing with Microsoft over creating the best user experience. PSABR and Smash are now doing the same in their space. Quite frankly, with 3 games deep, a little competition is long overdue. Last thing we should want is the Smash dev team resting on their laurels. I want them on their toes, maybe even a little worried about potential future comparisons in reviews if they do not in every aspect deliver the better game.

This discussion isn't so much on if the game is successful or not... It's that you want to believe it is.
The only thing I believe is as a first attempt, SuperBot made a comparable fighter with room to grow. I really could care less how well it sells relative to Smash, and I really don't care about any attempt to guess the reasons, cite the conjecture as evidence, and pretend it's proof of something in a different topic.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Let's all go on a magical ride though the warped mind of El Duderino. What logical inconsistencies will we find this time.
And like I mentioned success, which largely depends on context and your perspective, is not a requirement to compete. Now can you please stop pushing this stupid idea that PSABR cannot be referred to as a competitor? Sales-wise, it's currently not a big competitor, that's all.
Basically, you don't have an argument.

Let's retrace our steps. This is what you said on success
Success is one potential outcome of competition, but not every competitor starts or ends successful. Sales are just a metric, and at that, one of many ways games can be in competition with each other.
So sales are a metric for success. As I said, the game is selling very poorly, which tends to mean the game is NOT successful. See how easy analysis is.

You never game another metric. Even still, it's doubtful you'll give me something measurable. You'll likely say how it appeals as competition (which we proved it's not) or something subjective how it's another product (which isn't measurable and means every game is successful).

This proves you want to believe the game is successful. You talk in subjectively and give no credence to your argument. You have never been able to define success or competition outside of my context proving my arguments right. There isn't anything else to really discuss. You are picking paragraphs to respond to create the illusion that your not delusional. Heck, you pretty move said it yourself.

Quite frankly, with 3 games deep, a little competition is long overdue. Last thing we should want is the Smash dev team resting on their laurels. I want them on their toes, maybe even a little worried about potential future comparisons in reviews if they do not in every aspect deliver the better game.
You basically can't prove it's a success or competition but you keep saying it is. All for the purpose that SSB4 will change because the developers have to worry. Again, Sony Smash actually proved Smash is going the right way while Sony Smash went the wrong way. It says that competitive Smash should not be a focus as a competitive-friendly game couldn't muster enough sales and profit. In the end, the game is a failure and no competition at all. But this argument will continue because you want it to be a success.

Apple is absolutely in the software business, they just tie everything to their hardware.
Listen to yourself for a minute. Apple is in the software business because they bundle their software with the hardware they sell. But they are selling the hardware. Wouldn't that make them a hardware company?

I took the rest of it out because it was trying to say "Because Apple has cost for creating an OS, it's a software company." We call those production cost. Please go read an accounting text book before we continue with this line of though.

The only thing I believe is as a first attempt, SuperBot made a comparable fighter with room to grow. I really could care less how well it sells relative to Smash, and I really don't care about any attempt to guess the reasons, cite the conjecture as evidence, and pretend it's proof of something in a different topic.
Translation: "I lost and I'm mad. Sony Smash is great and you're a big poopy head." Your telling me you can't defend your reasoning and resort to very general statements of why it's not a failure. You ignore a measurable metric saying it doesn't matter while at the same time not giving another one. There is no reason for what you say. It's what you want to head. This argument is about hopes and dreams for you, not reality.

To sum this up, money means A LOT. It's the reason Nintendo has been able to hire 1200 new employees and while everyone believes Sony's downfall is all but inevitable. If you want to understand something, look at the dollars and cents.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Smashchu, your desperation to put words in El Duderino's mouth in order to try to make your side of the argument more salient is...kind of funny, actually.

His viewpoint has been pretty clear from the beginning; and before you ask, it really is there and readable, a little bit before you started literally bantering and beating the dead horse about sales.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Smashchu, your desperation to put words in El Duderino's mouth in order to try to make your side of the argument more salient is...kind of funny, actually.

His viewpoint has been pretty clear from the beginning; and before you ask, it really is there and readable, a little bit before you started literally bantering and beating the dead horse about sales.
His argument is the game is successful and is serious competition for Smash when data proves neither of those. The facts make my argument. Nothing more to it.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
His argument is the game is successful and is serious competition for Smash when data proves neither of those. The facts make my argument. Nothing more to it.
Erm, no, you're just kind of pulling that out of thin air. But you're just going to find some way to repeat that "Smash has sold millions, so everything else sucks" anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
For the sake of brevity, why don't we just agree that PSABR is currently not a big sales competitor, but rivals the game in a number of different aspects. That's really all I've said. No reason to jump on me for such a simple observation or waste both of our time trying to read between the lines. It's tomfoolery.

flyingfilipino has it right, that is not in any way, shape, or form what I have said.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Erm, no, you're just kind of pulling that out of thin air. But you're just going to find some way to repeat that "Smash has sold millions, so everything else sucks" anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
Well, let's actually see what he said.

The only comparison I've made is PSABR is the closest competitor Smash has yet to have.
I think it's perfectly fair to say what Superbot created with PSABR is the most notable effort to challenge Smash and the most likely to draw comparisons in the future.
Selling like gangbusters is not a requirement to compete; going after a share of the same market, offering an alternative, and/or attempting to make a contending product is.
Smashchu's notes: Consider how everything he said has to relate to profits and sales. He's even using business terms.
The argument was that Sony Smash is the first competition to smash. Basically, my argument is that it's not successful or competitive and it only shows that what Smash is doing is right and should not change. I like how you didn't care about what I was saying.

As an aside, let me say this. No one here is going to like my argument. In this whole debate, I've shown that Sony Smash Brothers has failed at trying to create a competent competitive friendly game. Many people here what Smash Brothers to be more competitive, and Sony Smash does try to do that. But it's sales and profits are very weak. Smash has far exceeded it (even the first one beat it by over 20 times as much). As such, it wouldn't make sense to make a competitive friendly game. Smash shouldn't go that route.

People also hate sales talk because they don't understand it. When challenged, El Duderino shows he doesn't understand cash flows and business. At the end of the day, we are talking about competing for profit entities. Sales is always going to matter, especially when comparing two competing company's offerings.

EDIT:
For the sake of brevity, why don't we just agree that PSABR is currently not a big sales competitor, but rivals the game in a number of different aspects. That's really all I've said. No reason to jump on me for such a simple observation or waste both of our time trying to read between the lines. It's tomfoolery.

flyingfilipino has it right, that is not in any way, shape, or form what I have said.
Part of this argument was that you never gave a reason for why it was a competitor. When asked, you claimed business elements like market share were (which is what I was saying). The argument started because your observation was flat out wrong. You had no basis for saying that and couldn't defend it.

Otherwise, we can drop it.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
PSA won't be a competitor until after it's outsold brawl? Is that what you mean? That's enough chu, just let yourself lose.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
PSA won't be a competitor until after it's outsold brawl? Is that what you mean? That's enough chu, just let yourself lose.

What I mean is it wont be a competitor until it makes a dent in Smash sales. Heck, 1 million would be enough for that, which is the norm for most big titles. Right now, Sony Smash's sales are 2 percent of Brawl's. I doubt Nintendo would lose a wink of sleep over that.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
The dent is ridiculously small, but it's there. I for one picked up psa and ever since I've had no desire to play brawl at all.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
SmashChu, you do realize you are just arguing with yourself at this point right? I've got no reason to defend anything you are implying I said. It doesn't line up at all with my stance.

Part of this argument was that you never gave a reason for why it was a competitor.
Paragraph #2. Or you could also just look at the game. They are clearly striving to gain some ground on Smash (pick whatever context you like). At the most basic level that is all the act of competing is.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The dent is ridiculously small, but it's there. I for one picked up psa and ever since I've had no desire to play brawl at all.

2% is not a dent. That's almost a monopoly.

Paragraph #2. Or you could also just look at the game. They are clearly striving to gain some ground on Smash (whichever way that is), which at the most basic level is all the act of competing is.
I addressed that a long time ago. I actually just reposted it.
The problem is what you are talking about doesn't line up with reality. It's nice they are trying to make a Smash like game, but results are what matters. It doesn't help anyone is their game fails like everyone else before it. Again, part of my argument is you never gave a clear measure. I went down your thought because you made a claim with little support. The numbers show it wasn't competing. Gotta have a baseline.

We can refocus here and forget about arguing. One thing this thread taught me is people don't really get business. Should be expected when schools don't teach it. It would be better to talk about the sales then argue about them. If any cares, I could go over some analysis and it might make what I was trying to say clearer. It might be more interesting then reading another internet argument.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
If I had a ding in my car that took up 2% of the body, I would still call that a dent. ;)

I could also come dead last in a race and still be a competitor because I took part in it. What you have been referring to all along is the baseline for success. Competition is an activity, and as such, is not defined by a measurement.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
If I had a ding in my car that took up 2% of the body, I would still call that a dent. ;)
Let's talk Monopolies, and it will make more sense. A Monopoly doesn't have to be only 1 person in a market (yeah, I know we are talking about a type of game, but just roll with it). A monopoly can exist when one company has so much of the market that they control it. As I've said, Sony Smash is 2% of Brawl's sales. Using the latest VGchartz numbers, Sony Smash only has 1.9 percent of the market. (Calculated as 11.37+.22=11.59 or total market. 0.22/11.59=1.898). This means that, while Sony Smash exist, Smash controls far more of the market. Sony Smash will have little bearing with such a lot percent, so Smash has no real competition and it can do as it pleases (or, at least, keep going as it has). Monopolies exist in that they have all the power. While, yes, the game does exist and it's going for the same kind of game as Smash, it's not competition has it has not way to topple the giant.

Here is the definition from Investopidia
A situation in which a single company or group owns all or nearly all of the market for a given type of product or service. By definition, monopoly is characterized by an absence of competition, which often results in high prices and inferior products.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/monopoly.asp#ixzz2FjtGGiXO

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Last time I played Monopoly, I controlled most of the board, but I still had competitors.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Playstation All Stars needs time to grow as a franchise. No doubt it's a solid game, but since Smash Bros. is the reason for it, it'll take more than one game to become more established as one of Sony's key franchises.

And it's not competing with Smash Bros nor vice-versa. Both franchises are made for their respective fanbases, so in a way, both games live on as if the other doesn't exist.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Playstation All Stars needs time to grow as a franchise. No doubt it's a solid game, but since Smash Bros. is the reason for it, it'll take more than one game to become more established as one of Sony's key franchises.
Super Smash brothers on the 64 sold 5.5 million and started the series. Smash started as a success where Sony Smash clearly didn't. I don't think there is a lot of room for the series to grow in it's current state. It will have to change it's views. OIne of the biggest changed needs to be shedding off the idea of being competitive-friendly. It will have to be a game where many different kinds of players want to jump in and play. Right now, that is not the case.

I do think SuperBot needs to go back and look at what made Smash Brothers successful. I

And it's not competing with Smash Bros nor vice-versa. Both franchises are made for their respective fanbases, so in a way, both games live on as if the other doesn't exist.
Actually, SuperBot has talked a lot about their game and Smash. There is also the image below.

Last time I played Monopoly, I controlled most of the board, but I still had competitors.
Let's go back to our definition of Monopoly. It doesn't hav to be total control, but significant control where others can not compete in the current market. If you can compete, then you don't have a monopoly. From the data, we can see Smash does have a monopoly. Another way we can see that is that Sony Smash has been framed in the context of Smash. Consider how many times the developers talk about Smash and how many times Nintendo or Sakurai mention Sony Smash. We also have this.

The thing to remember is who is doing what. SuperBot and Sony are trying to get Smash sales and are the ones working in Smash context. Nintendo, on the other hand, is kind of just coasting. They are doing what they would have done if Sony Smash had never existed. That is a Monopoly.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
How many more possible ways can you reiterate ad nauseam that Smash has currently sold more units than PSABR has? Never mind all the other statements that you've tangentially "proven" citing this as a reason.

As an aside directed at anyone: I wonder what percent of people that have bought PSABR so far are also Smash players?

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i got both. i am a big fan of both. frankly i see bigger possibilities for Battle Royales future than i do for smash at the moment.

Top Bottom