• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Entries 6: Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Most Disappointing Game of 2011?

D

Deleted member

Link to original post: [drupal=3311]Smash Entries 6: Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Most Disappointing Game of 2011?[/drupal]

OK, so I know that I don't have a Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, but that doesn't mean you can't hype it. Beside, I am planning on getting a Playstation 3 anyway, once I can scrap up the cash (AKA get a job, which I'm hoping to get soon). For people anticipating Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, I'd recommend reading through this and discussing this potential issue.

Originally, I didn't see why the Marvel Vs. Capcom series was so popular. Sure it was a cross-over, but I didn't think it mattered that much. However, when Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 was announced for Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network, I was interested. However, it was not coming to WiiWare due to file size limit, so I basically ignored it.

A sequel was always in high demand, but due to massive licensing issues, it seemed impossible. However, rumors were floating around that Capcom was working on Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, but once again, I ignored it, especially since I was highly anticipating Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars.

On April of 2010 (This month), Capcom announced Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. As a Wii-only owner, you would expect me to be disappointed about it not coming to the system and I will admit I am. However, rather then complain about that, I decided to join the hype train, since I know I'm getting an Playstation 3 in the near future, so might as well get it now.

However, while I am highly anticipating the game, I want to keep the anticipation to a minimum. Not because it's going to suck, I know it won't. As a matter of fact, it'll probably be an great game. However, I really doubt it'll be one of the best for both systems. I don't consider Super Smash Bros. Brawl to be one of the best titles for the Wii and it's universally acclaimed. Street Fighter IV for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 is also considered a massive disappointment. I'm worried that Gran Turismo 5 might be on the same path.

Here are the reasons why I'm worried that Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 might be the most disappointing title of 2011:

1. It will most likely be hyped out of proportion. Remember how hype you were for Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Sadly, it didn't meet most people expectations. I expect Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 to be almost as hyped if not as much or even more, making it difficult for people to reach expectation for that particular game. Heck, I wouldn't be surprise if that happen, consider that we over 150 posts in the Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 thread in the Light House, and that's coming from a non-Nintendo platform game.

2. Balancing issues. People constantly complain about balancing issues in the series, especially with Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. Unless they reduce the amount of character to 30 top, the sequel will most likely face the same problem.

3. Possible delays. If there's one thing we hate, it's delays. If Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 is to be expected to reach Triple A statue, don't be surprise if we have a few delays (Maybe even a year from it's tentative date now). However, this will only cause more hype, helping to support #1 why this game could be so disappointing.

But is it possible for us to avoid being disappointed that much? Yes it is.

One way to avoid disappointments is to avoid as much information about the game as possible, expect when concerning release date. Or you could do what Finalark did with Super Smash Bros. Brawl.. Check the (Possible) site of Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 only and do not look at secret contents. I might do the latter if a site dedicated to this comes up.

Another suggestion is to not have an "This will be the greatest game ever!" expectation that we have with most very highly anticipated games like we do with most games. Rather, just have an Double A expectation. Some like "I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not expecting it to be perfect.". That can avoid disappointments in the long run.

And if there's delays, don't moan. Consider this a good thing and realize it will most likely make the title better.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm getting a Playstation 3 for this (And other games) and will be looking forward to playing this. I'm sure most of you are thinking the same thing. However, don't be surprise if it doesn't meet the Triple A expectation we have out of the game, because not many titles can truly be considered excellent by most gamers.

If you want to discuss this, go ahead.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
1. It will most likely be hyped out of proportion. Remember how hype you were for Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Sadly, it didn't meet most people expectations. I expect Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 to be almost as hyped if not as much or even more, making it difficult for people to reach expectation for that particular game. Heck, I wouldn't be surprise if that happen, consider that we over 150 posts in the Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 thread in the Light House, and that's coming from a non-Nintendo platform game.
Of course I am hyped, but let's be honest, most of the people who disliked Brawl were already in the competitive scene of not just Smash but other fighting games as well, including MvC 2. The amount of people that hate this game, imo, will be akin to the people hating on the SF IV series, lulzworthy and ignorable.

2. Balancing issues. People constantly complain about balancing issues in the series, especially with Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. Unless they reduce the amount of character to 30 top, the sequel will most likely face the same problem.
That's what they have planned now. If it wasn't for the top 4 there would be a lot more diversity in tourneys, and to help with balance, make options like air dashing universal instead of character specific.

3. Possible delays. If there's one thing we hate, it's delays. If Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 is to be expected to reach Triple A statue, don't be surprise if we have a few delays (Maybe even a year from it's tentative date now). However, this will only cause more hype, helping to support #1 why this game could be so disappointing.
Wow, really? Delays? OH MY GOD CAPCOM HOW DARE YOU BETRAY US!!!!! -_-

Another suggestion is to not have an "This will be the greatest game ever!" expectation that we have with most very highly anticipated games like we do with most games. Rather, just have an Double A expectation. Some like "I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not expecting it to be perfect.". That can avoid disappointments in the long run.
Problem here is that this IS GOING TO BE THE BEST GAME EVER.

Your not being into MvC and only owning a Wii really does show in this post.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
So hang on a second here; a game being hyped, then delayed, and not living up to the ridiculous expectations some people will give it makes it a disappointment?
I know when Brawl was ocming out people hyped that like crazy to be the best thing ever, which it clearly wasn't, but that was because all Nintendo did was give us screenshots for like a year. If Capcom actually release some gameplay clips showing people how it plays, then people will know what to expect from the game, and can get hyped appropriately. And it being delayed is a horrible reason for it being a disappointment, the previous game was released 10 years ago, and got re-relesased for newer consoles. Waiting one or even two years is hardly a long wait when you put it that way, especially since the game is easily accesible to get for most people now, and considering Capcom have just released a new fighting game recently, it's not like fans of Capcom will have nothing to do for a year.

Balance could be a problem, but like you said, it's hard to balance a cast so large, and whilst some people will want a focus on balance over characters, people will complain if there are less characters than the previous game, and will request DLC that people will probably have to pay for, or like in SSFIV's case, an upgrade to the game.

I doubt this'll be the best game for the consoles it is released on because face it, fighting games nearly always fare better in arcades rather than home consoles (that's if there's going to be an arcade release), but that's not to say it won't be a brilliant game.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
So is the OP speaking for the general public?

MvC3 is going to be way more hype than Brawl ever was, and a reason for that is its hardcore following. Delays aren't going to be an issue, as it's been ten years since MvC2 rose to prominence.

If we are still taking into account fans of MvC2, then balancing isn't an issue. Having less than 10 tournament-viable characters out of a cast of 56 didn't matter because of the team aspect. Even with 10 or so characters actually used, considering the fact that their combination, order, and assist choices were all selectable made for quite a number of teams. And low-mid tier tournaments for MvC2 do exist as well.

But the fact is that it is BECAUSE only a few teams are really viable for the game (which only those OUTSIDE of the Marvel scene would consider as broken) that the game gets so hype. Marvel 2 stopped with the official tournaments quite awhile back, but Marvel Money Matches are amongst the most epic money matches ever and they're still going strong.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 may very well be a disappointment, but the reasons you posted do not take into account the hardcore Marvel 2 crowd.

finalark

SNORLAX
Wait, how was SFIV disapointing? Everyone who is into SF that I've talked to loved it.

Anyway, I've just learned to keep my expectations low for games. That's usually how I learn to enjoy them for what they are. Now, as for balance... yes this was an issue in the previous game. But hey, it's well remember by everyone who played it during its inital release (including myself) and despite the fact that the game isn't very blanced, it is fun to play. I do plan on playing it competitively, so it isn't an issue for me. Plus the fanboys will make up some bull**** to make it sound balanced. Honestly, though, delays don't really bother me unless they acted like they were all set for launch on a date then they suddenly delay it (two words: Twilight Princess). But usually delays let the hype drop for me, and I'm okay with that.

But yeah, MVC3 is going to be awesome. I want to get the 360 version just because the 360 is closer to a Dreamcast than a PS3 is...

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Street Fighter 4 is a pretty legit game.

Super Street Fighter 4 is very good.

My only concern is that MvC3 goes the route of TvC for the design, which I didn't like.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Street Fighter 4 is a pretty legit game.

Super Street Fighter 4 is very good.

My only concern is that MvC3 goes the route of TvC for the design, which I didn't like.
Cell shading tends to get these results, but while TvC is to look like retro anime, MvC 3 is to look like a modern Marvel comic. they sort-of succeeded.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I can't believe Marvel and Capcom skipped an April Fool's joke possibility with a fake name of "Disney vs. Capcom." :grin: :laugh: :chuckle:

But all seriousness aside, this will get more hardcore gamer hype than Brawl did, and some will probably overhype it. That's a mistake a lot of people did with Brawl. I hyped it a lot, but I foresaw terrible online, a 40-ish cast, 2-4 3rd party characters top, and clones; other people were hyping a 80 plus character roster, 70 third party characters, and yes-there was a juge Dragon Ball Z character thread! :laugh:

Something similiar will definitely happen, especially considering how over the top many (but definitely not all) Marvel vs. Capcom/Street Fighter fans are going to be. They'll face a lot of disappointments a lot of us saw with Brawl.. Well-minus the crap online. If Capcom screws that up, the reviews are gonna **** them on that! :laugh:

Basically if you're gonna hype it, don't expect many more characters numerically than there were in MvC2, don't expect any Disney characters (keep your Kingdom Hearts out of my Smash Bros!), don't hype it to the heights of previous games in the series, and also don't expect it to be like the previous games in the series. Considering how consistent and good Capcom usually is, you can however-expect a great and enjoyable game. Don't be afraid to hype or express your joy (or angst!) either-just keep it reasonable! :cool:

Edit: Also they better have good DLC-or expansion packs. What they've done for Super Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5 via new game discs and DLC has been great! It's a crying shame Nintendo probably won't catch on until halfway through the next generation of gaming... >_>

Lurker guy

Smash Apprentice
Anything that happens, happens.
Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.
It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
The only problem I have with this post (and its not even due to the post) is the Comments on SSBB. Brawl is an amazing PARTY game, it achieved what it was made for. It is one of the best titles on the Wii. However, it may not be the competitive fighter everyone wanted it to be (this area is opinionated so I'ma stray away from it.) Otherwise you bring up very valid points, even though this game will be INCREDIBLE!!!!!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Remember how hype you were for Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Sadly, it didn't meet most people expectations
I'm going to ignore everything else in the OP and just focus on this. It actually did meet most peoples expectations - just not most competitve/hardcore Smash players. The minority that you surround yourself with (by coming to SWF) was disappointed in Brawl, while anyone would have trouble finding even a single person who doesn't come onto this website that wasn't completely satisfied by the game.

Top Bottom