• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash in HD--the easy way

HoT89

Smash Rookie

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I've record some videos, too, with 480p. But youtube cant' show it in HD. If I want to render it, the video hasn't a audio track for editing. I use Sony Vegas Pro 9.
Where is the audio track? Are the settings wrong?

I used this settings at all.
http://www.youtube.com/user/xXxWeaponsxXx#p/search/2/MSDhRemgqxw

Look at 2:40.

If i upload the normal Rawformat on youtube then it looks like this. But no HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXyjMGoA_iQ
First link is showing in 720p.

Second link doesn't exist.

Is there a question in all of this...? :confused:

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Related to the audio track, it has become clear that I've done. I recorded some videos. But it doesn't get to create the optimum quality paramters. You know how I can optimize it in PAL, kazoo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WWrA3yByuY
The guide I made was definitely for NTSC televisions.

Since most people (& this site and their owners) are located in the states, I can't help you too much with this.

@Vlade: If you know anything to help this guy, please do.

I'm not shure if this has been mentioned yet, but if you record in .M2TS format, you get really good quality, much better than the quality you'd get from recording in .mp4 format. It just deinterlaces what you recorded better. It looks almost like you recorded uninterlaced footage.

(Paragraph is referring to recording with composite or S-video cable)

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I'm not shure if this has been mentioned yet, but if you record in .M2TS format, you get really good quality, much better than the quality you'd get from recording in .mp4 format. It just deinterlaces what you recorded better. It looks almost like you recorded uninterlaced footage.

(Paragraph is referring to recording with composite or S-video cable)
Thiiiiiissssssss guuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyy.

Excellent point. When I originally started writing the guide, I used to record in .mp4. However, sometimes the raw files will just magically lose the sound for them (guess I know how HMW feels. :dizzy:) Recording .m2ts completely removes the problem, plus higher quality.

I will update this.

Thiiiiiissssssss guuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyy.

Excellent point. When I originally started writing the guide, I used to record in .mp4. However, sometimes the raw files will just magically lose the sound for them (guess I know how HMW feels. :dizzy:) Recording .m2ts completely removes the problem, plus higher quality.

I will update this.
However, I need to mention one drawback: Audio may randomly desynce.

example

The video quality is mediocre because I used Windows Movie Maker to separate all the recorded games. Sony Vegas takes waay too long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtByv8nBbmo

If you're not recording from component cables, record from S-Video while the yellow composite cable is being used for the TV. Be shure that the encoding bitrate is 10 MB and it's set to constant. Your device should be set to record in MP4 format since it's supported by more programs that M2TS and TS. You will get interlaced footage but there is a really good and easy way to de-interlace it; the TotalMedia's MediaConverter that comes with the HD PVR. Use that little program and convert your interlaced recorded footage to Microsoft > XBOX 360. It looks really good and it de-interlaces really fast. And if you want to separate footage, simply use Windows Movie Maker. It's really easy to use and really fast at rendering. The quality does not suck. See link above for proof.

If you can't afford and HD PVR, you can still download TotalMedia Extreme from the link below. The recording program is really good and if you already record in TS, MTS, M2TS, MP4, or M4V format with interlaced footage, you'll need this media converter.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WSXSN69U

(I haven't tested this link because I already have TME on my computer, so I didn't want to waste time uninstalling and reinstalling)

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtByv8nBbmo

If you're not recording from component cables, record from S-Video while the yellow composite cable is being used for the TV. Be shure that the encoding bitrate is 10 MB and it's set to constant. Your device should be set to record in MP4 format since it's supported by more programs that M2TS and TS. You will get interlaced footage but there is a really good and easy way to de-interlace it; the TotalMedia's MediaConverter that comes with the HD PVR. Use that little program and convert your interlaced recorded footage to Microsoft > XBOX 360. It looks really good and it de-interlaces really fast. And if you want to separate footage, simply use Windows Movie Maker. It's really easy to use and really fast at rendering. The quality does not suck. See link above for proof.

If you can't afford and HD PVR, you can still download TotalMedia Extreme from the link below. The recording program is really good and if you already record in TS, MTS, M2TS, MP4, or M4V format with interlaced footage, you'll need this media converter.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WSXSN69U

(I haven't tested this link because I already have TME on my computer, so I didn't want to waste time uninstalling and reinstalling)
I promise I will update the guide with this. Good information once again.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Can this record in 480p and 60fps?

The Vbox2 can record Wii in 480p mode, but only at 30fps.

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
tl;dr

just kidding :p Wow, this could be very useful :D Thanks for writing this up! I might try doing this sometime.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Can this record in 480p and 60fps?

Stuff about Vbox2
Of course it can record @ 480p & 60fps. That was even stated on the OP, so read the thread before you post.

To be technical, it is a little better for rendering's sake that you set the framerate to 59.940000. If you are complaining about losing .1% of your frame rate, you need a life. ;)

tl;dr

just kidding :p Wow, this could be very useful :D Thanks for writing this up! I might try doing this sometime.
You're welcome.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Of course it can record @ 480p & 60fps. That was even stated on the OP, so read the thread before you post.
I did only read that you render in 60 fps, I didn't find anything that says that you actually record 60 fps.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure the console outputs 60/1.001 fps instead of 60, meaning the in-game timer actually goes 0.1% slower than real-time.
If you change that into exactly 60, the sound will go out of sync.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure the console outputs 60/1.001 fps instead of 60, meaning the in-game timer actually goes 0.1% slower than real-time.
If you change that into exactly 60, the sound will go out of sync.
I don't know about this. I'll check sometime later though...

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
BUMP! anyways,anything cheaper?
No there isn't. It's still around $150 min, so save up!

For the same MSRP for the HDPVR, there is a passthrough that records with HDMI now. The specs to using it are quite high though, and you can't use a laptop with it.

unfortunately that won't be able to record videos. supposedly it's not hard now to record via emulator and im looking to learn it soon.
This.

There is more to do than just deinterlace.

Before = just deinterlaced
After = some magic added

Before 1 - After 1
Before 2 - After 2
Before 3 - After 3
Before 4 - After 4
If you're still using that scripting program to edit... :rolleyes:

Not that it's bad, but just not particularly practical for most.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
If you're still using that scripting program to edit... :rolleyes:

Not that it's bad, but just not particularly practical for most.
Still using Avisynth, yes, no reason to switch as I don't know of anything else that gives you this much control over your video.

I know it's not practical if you don't want to learn to use it, just saying that there's more to do than just deinterlace...

Oh, and I just found something new that IMO improves the quality even more, and doing so at 3x the speed of the previous one. Edited my previous post with screenshots. Now that's smash in HD, with a $50 capture card.

Do your tricks only work on interlaced footage or can it work on uninterlaced stuff as well?

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
It's that fact that it's interlaced that makes it look as bad as it does. A real progressive source would be oh so much better.

gijn

Smash Cadet
I'd just like to make a quick note that after 2004 Gamecubes everywhere didn't have composite options. In PAL regions it didn't support it at all so if you're in europe and you want decent quality use a wii :). I nearly just bought a hausppauge, now I'm going to wait to see if I can be bothered to switch my gamecube for my wii at uni first.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Nice bump with semi-false information.
You're correct though that after 2004 *something* was removed.

What was removed was the digital YCbCr port, whicih supported progressive scan, and was only useful together with a converter into analog YPbPr (aka "component video"). This port and its removal was the same in NTSC and PAL cubes.

The analog port supports composite and S-Video in NTSC, composite and RGB in PAL. This means that PAL cubes have the image quality advantage if you have an RGB cable. Pretty much every TV supports this, but unfortunately capture cards generally doesn't. Maybe this is what you were trying to say?

PAL games never supported progressive scan though, so the digital port never had an advantage over RGB in PAL anyway. And RGB is theoretically still the best you can get out of a Wii (except Wii games in 480p), but component is more supported by capture cards.

Kadano

Magical Express
What was removed was the digital YCbCr port, whicih supported progressive scan, and was only useful together with a converter into analog YPbPr (aka "component video"). This port and its removal was the same in NTSC and PAL cubes.
As far as I know, HDMI uses YCbCr as well. Does that mean that if I manage to connect the pins of a HDMI cable to the ones in the GC's digital av out port, I can use 480p on a HDMI-monitor?

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
HDMI might need some additional data through its pins, but it might be possible with some extra circuitry.
Not all TVs support YCbCr through HDMI though, but afaik it could be anything between 1% and 99% =).

joY

Pot splitter
I realize I am bumping this thread. Meh.

I'm looking to upgrade my streaming set-up right now and have a few questions.

Is there a noticeable difference in on-stream quality when switching from the Wii composite to the Wii component cables?

I am currently using a DVC170, which was enough for streaming my NES/SNES etc (where 30 frames was sufficient), but now I would like to reliably run a 480p (or 720p) @ 60 frames set-up.

Also, I would like to use my laptop (for tournaments, mobility and so on) so most internal and USB 3.0A/B capture cards are out of the question.

Can I just get a PVR and stream Smash at 480p / 60 frames with composite cables?

And is streaming Smash in 720p / 60 frames impossible with composite cables?

Boxman X

Smash Ace
Look here steakhead, I didn't ask for your 2 bit
I realize I am bumping this thread. Meh.

I'm looking to upgrade my streaming set-up right now and have a few questions.

Is there a noticeable difference in on-stream quality when switching from the Wii composite to the Wii component cables?

I am currently using a DVC170, which was enough for streaming my NES/SNES etc (where 30 frames was sufficient), but now I would like to reliably run a 480p (or 720p) @ 60 frames set-up.

Also, I would like to use my laptop (for tournaments, mobility and so on) so most internal and USB 3.0A/B capture cards are out of the question.

Can I just get a PVR and stream Smash at 480p / 60 frames with composite cables?

And is streaming Smash in 720p / 60 frames impossible with composite cables?
You probably got an answer already but I'll post anyway incase someone else needs help.

Hauppauge PVR

Streaming with a PVR is difficult because it forces you to output 480p to the tv you're playing on as well. It also doesn't use directshow so it doesn't integrate well into streaming applications(at least, the last time I used it)

So if you want to stream in 480p using a PVR you have to go like this:

Wii in 480p mode>Component Cable>HD PVR
then into the PC with USB and the TV with component.
This is a problem because most tvs that support 480p will lag for Smash. If there's one thing Smashers hate, it's lag.

720p/480p over composite

Also it's impossible to do 720p over composite because:
a. Composite doesn't handle 720p, at best you can get 360p or 480i with S-Video. 480p is also impossible over composite.
b. The Wii doesn't support 720p.

60 FPS

This can only be done over component. Assuming you use xSplit, you also need to have a xSplit pro license to output to 60 FPS, otherwise your stream will just end up at 25 FPS or whatever the default highest on the free version of xSplit is.

This is honestly one of the last things you should worry about in a stream because YouTube will just encode your videos at 30 FPS, it requires a lot more bandwidth to stream it(It is doubling your frames in most cases) and doesn't really add much to your stream overall.

My advice

Just stick with the Dazzle unless you have some lag-less tv that you and/or tournaments players would play serious matches on in-which case you can try the Hauppauge but I and many others agree that it's not worth the headache to try to stream with. The upgrade in quality would not be too noticeable and would be better spent on including things like: commentary, player-cam or an xSplit license if you have any need for the features you get from upgrading(Assuming, again, that you use xSplit)

Hauppauge is good for recording replays in 480p, however. That's what bizkit047 does at http://www.youtube.com/user/Bizkit047

Top Bottom