• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash on Wii vs. Gamecube

Jumbley

Smash Rookie
In light of the Wii's backwards compatibility, Super Smash Bros. Melee is definitely an interesting game to try on the new system. Being a Wii owner, I can only be curious as to whether Smash on the Wii is different (dare I say better?) than on the Gamecube. I would expect the Wii to provide better performance, but I wonder if it is a noticeable increase? As well, would controller response time be changed at all? If anyone has any thoughts (or, if possible, facts) please share!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I've heard that Wii isn't much better than gamecube. The hardware is just about the same technology, nothing really worth mentioning.

Jumbley

Smash Rookie
Wow, those were some FAST responses!
Though the Wii's hardware is similar to the GCN, it does have an upgraded processor (and the video hardware is actually smaller, but with all of the other stuff in there it doesn't show very well).
And yeah, it IS kind of annoying to have to go through the Wii Menu to play GCN games...

The Darkness

Smash Cadet
something i noticed when i played smash in the wii, is in the character menu, the names seem to be kinda brighter, thats the only diference between my cube and wii =)

iankobe

Smash Lord
Ok...you guys need to observe a little better. THe graphics on the Wii is SLIGHTLY better than the graphics you see on the cube. (smash, dunno about other games) For example, on the character screen, when you pick Marth, you can literally see the cool patterns on his armor around his chest; Zelda, you can see the 3D like patterns on her shoulders as well....etc.

Other than that, I don't think I see anymore differences besides the loading speed of the wii in the begining of the Menu screen.

I

i8waffles612

Smash on the gamecube because you dont have to do 6 things just to play some freaking smash:
1:Turn on Wii
2:press A
3: Disc channel
4:press A:
5: go to start game
6: press A
Lol you cant possibly be that pissed off... it takes like 30 seconds!

And i wouldnt know because I have never Played Smash on the Gamecube....

pdk

Smash Lord
pretty much everyone has said that the only difference is graphical (thanks to the nice output cables available for wiis; you could still get these results on a cube if you had component-out cables on hand); not even the bad lag in, for example, 4-player mute city matches is alleviated

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Wii has a sharper image, while the GC has less load time. Personally, the image doesn't matter much because it's only a slight change, though it does look nice. Also the load time is only about 30 seconds longer, so if you're impatient, like me, this sucks. xD

You decide which is more important to you. :)

Jumbley

Smash Rookie
Given that the Wii has better performance, would that open up any previously banned 2v2 stages that had originally been tagged because of bad frame rates?

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
The only stages with bad frame rates that were banned weren't banned because of that. Take Big Blue, for example. It was banned because you would have to keep moving to survive.

pdk

Smash Lord
Given that the Wii has better performance, would that open up any previously banned 2v2 stages that had originally been tagged because of bad frame rates?
nope, they're still lagtastic

Fiiii

Smash Apprentice
The Wii hardware is fairly better than the gamecube hardware, but the better graphics will mainly be applied in Wii games. A few resolution, color, and brightness properties will be different, but playing Smash on the Wii is essentially the same. That said, I now only play it on the Wii because its more convenient and I can put up the Gamecube.

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
No real diffrence
not that woul matter in competitive play at least
graphics a little nicer
thats all though

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
That's the thing lots of people are getting mixed results. Some say it lags some say it doesn't. But nobody is gonna play this game on a Wii in a tournament scene anyways (I think) so who cares.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
it feels that when playing teams on fountain of dreams, it runs a wee bit (i really mean, wee bit) better in performance to reduce lag, but seriously theres no decent or huge difference between them, i think it wont be since its using the gamecube disc, and with that, u cant change the resolution and texture details like u would on a computer anyway.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
out of all the stages i played, fountain of dreams has the most noticable lag when playing teams, theres no lag when u play 1v1 most of the time, if not all the time.

other stages however, i dont notice any lag, plus fountain of dreams is banned in team battles anyway, since it lags too much.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
The Wii still lags because when its running it's "GC emulator" it's put in sandbox mode, meaning that it's clocked down to whatever the GCN specs are, this saves processing power and thus uses less power. Almost all ofthe extra Wii features (Home menu for example) are turned off and the Wii is limited to the GC mode. So besides maybe a neglible difference in graphics (The Wii has slightly better contrast), there's no difference in gameplay on any game.

If you doubt that it has to be clocked down, look at the PSP emulators or computer emulators. Both use the same premise, creating an emulated processor of a certain speed to run games, if you clock that processor up (Turbo Mode) it goes faster, so the Wii is clocked down in order to emulate it more efficiently.

Nintendo could have made it so that it ran at full Wii capacity and no GCN game would ever lag no matter what, but that would have been extra work and 99% of game time a waste of power.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
there are a few differences
-wii has in depth detail on char
-wii distorts white text, especially if moving(appears brighter or rainbow-like outline)
-wii has higher brightness
-ah, the major bad thing for the wii: the wii is good at single frame graphics, but when you make them move, they are pixely and distorted. Dont believe me. go play marth(white marth easier) on FD or any other stage and start attacking with your sword you may see some pixelly animations
The easy way to see these wii distortions is go lose a match with black marth or some marth, and watch him clap close up. the face is distoreted and claps are pixelly. also if you scroll down the text with bonuses and stuff, you will see a rainbowish outline.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
there are a few differences
-wii has in depth detail on char
-wii distorts white text, especially if moving(appears brighter or rainbow-like outline)
-wii has higher brightness
-ah, the major bad thing for the wii: the wii is good at single frame graphics, but when you make them move, they are pixely and distorted. Dont believe me. go play marth(white marth easier) on FD or any other stage and start attacking with your sword you may see some pixelly animations
The easy way to see these wii distortions is go lose a match with black marth or some marth, and watch him clap close up. the face is distoreted and claps are pixelly. also if you scroll down the text with bonuses and stuff, you will see a rainbowish outline.
Buy a new TV.

I've never seen that happen and I've played on multiple Wiis on many different TVs.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
If you guys have a Wii, why do you still have your GCN hangin' around?

Sell it. Get a new Wii game.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
seeing as how my Wii has component cables, yes, yes there is a difference =P.

well worth the extra cash to for over too for my sweet delicious progressive scan.

Jumbley

Smash Rookie
The Wii still lags because when its running it's "GC emulator" it's put in sandbox mode, meaning that it's clocked down to whatever the GCN specs are, this saves processing power and thus uses less power. Almost all ofthe extra Wii features (Home menu for example) are turned off and the Wii is limited to the GC mode. So besides maybe a neglible difference in graphics (The Wii has slightly better contrast), there's no difference in gameplay on any game.

If you doubt that it has to be clocked down, look at the PSP emulators or computer emulators. Both use the same premise, creating an emulated processor of a certain speed to run games, if you clock that processor up (Turbo Mode) it goes faster, so the Wii is clocked down in order to emulate it more efficiently.

Nintendo could have made it so that it ran at full Wii capacity and no GCN game would ever lag no matter what, but that would have been extra work and 99% of game time a waste of power.
Thanks Aftermath. I think that was the definite answer we were looking for.
Also, nice to meet you online! I`m learning Samus to get into the tournament circuit, and your online guide is my bible. You rule!

Joner

Smash Cadet
FYI, my smash lags on no stages >_>
at least not on wii, and I think it doesn't on the GC either.

Top Bottom