• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smash side affects

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
something odd happened to me the other day, i was walking with my friend to his car when someone threw a piece of chicken at us and i saw it coming and my only thought was: roll dodge forward then shffl an fair, and it dawned on me, smash has actually affected the way i think. In fact a few days ago i was playing gears of war and i attempted to l-cancel a melee attack. So tell me, has smash affected any of you similarly or am i just crazy?

pdk

Smash Lord
it's made lots of uninformed armchair fighting game professors, that's for sure

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Only in video games. I'm too used to the smash controls. I usually try to shield and stuff. If I fall in a different video game, I try to tech upon landing :laugh:

St. Viers

Smash Champion
it's made lots of uninformed armchair fighting game professors, that's for sure
heh, someone is continuing to be grumpy towards smash theorists :)

really though, it affects how I joke with my friends (luckily they mostly play smash too...<_<)

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Yeah, It's affected the way I think. Mostly the way I think of other on-foot games.

Also, for some reason, now I can't get the image of Marth Roll-dodging a piece of chicken out of my head now.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Well, yesterday this guy came up to me and tried to D-Throw me with Bowser, so I used Falco's Neutral B and than used Falcon's fast run to avoid being trapped in an, um...barrel....
I wasn't here

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I tried to wave-dash while playing Viewtiful Joe(VJ for Brawl!).
My friends and I make Smash jokes all the time.

pdk

Smash Lord
heh, someone is continuing to be grumpy towards smash theorists :)

really though, it affects how I joke with my friends (luckily they mostly play smash too...<_<)
not quite what i was hinting at (think more like people who basically go "lol grandpa what is it with you and street fighter 2, that doesn't even have shieldgrabbing!") but alas

and i'm not grumpy, you're just on my lawn all the time : (

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
I always dash-dance in other games due to a SSBM habit. That and L-Canceling if I'm ever in the air. Normally, there isn't a big effect on how I play other games so I get that a few times. Nothing in real life, though.

Fletch

Smash Master
Dash-dancing, l-canceling, and teching seem to now carry over into a lot of other games for me. While playing any "Zelda" game as well, attempting to wavedash for me is quite common.

t0m0

Smash Apprentice
Not in anyway, I wake up everymorning and Tech my alarm clock, then i wd into my shower, Shffl the eggs into the pan, and FF down the stairs.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Smash has helped me out in other games. Mainly that fact that you must keep yourself unpredictable. MINDGAMES = Fighting Games

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I accidentally misfire into my car and blast out the passenger side door. It's been in the shop three times in the past month!

offcell

Smash Apprentice
I try to tech in any game where you fall too. What a conditioning :p

Sometimes, I can't help but think that under that Falcon mask is Tony Jaa. I'm serious. Fairs ftw!

Weird Jon

Smash Rookie
I tried to shield-grabbing in a different fighting game even though I knew you can't. xD

Artistry

Smash Apprentice
When I'm playing Mortal Kombat and my friend hits me up in the air, when I'm coming back down I always try to tech back up.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Whenever I jump down a set of stairs or jump in general, I make the Sheik Taunt sound *Nngh.* I often hacky-sack at school with my friends, where I often hit the sack not unlike Sheik's bair (though grounded.)

Jeda

Smash Cadet
While playing LoZ I tech in boss battles. I Knee pollows that mysteriuosly fly toward me. Also when my sister hugs me I try to Sheik Dsmash her and then she Ganondwarf Fairs me without ever playing with Ganondwarf! I think thats it:laugh:

Royal

Smash Apprentice
i see mindgames everywhere.
ie: people who have turn signals on, but dont change lanes.

lmao
qft.

not so much smash, but when I was playing Halo, if I ever saw a car coming down the road I'd imagine when I would throw a grenade to time it just right so it exploded right as the car went over it.

or when I grab someones nipple, I yell "all dis nieger do is grabe"

Spot

Smash Cadet
Well today, when I was sleeping in class, I started thinking about SSBM. I imagined doing a sidesmash and my finger twitched. It's happened with wavedashing before too. But I have never experienced anything like that while awake.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Smash hasn't affected me much, I goofed around the same befor Smash as i do now. However when i played through twilight princess i fel like rolling everywhere. It's a whole lot slower and more painful IRL, trust me.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Or use Crouch to dodge by crouching under their punches(Ala Kirby Crouch for Falco's lasers).

I should try that next fist fight.

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
in ur Wii, savin' hyrule from t3h twilight... By t
When I play Soul Calibur 2, I try to tech-roll when I get knocked into the air. The funny thing is that you actually can recover faster, it seems, if you press the G button at the second you hit the ground.
Also, I think I once tried to airdodge while playing Zelda.
The weird thing is, I did that reflexively, 'cause I use Link in Melee, Link in Soul Calibur 2, and of course Link in Zelda(duh). It only affects my gameplay in games where I'm playing as Link. Incredibly weird.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
i often catch myself trying to tech-roll in DBZ budakai tenkaichi 2, even when im floating in midair lol! No i don't actually own the game, and no, i don't care if i didn't spell that right, it's just a bleeping button masher

Corigames

Smash Hero
i often catch myself trying to tech-roll in DBZ budakai tenkaichi 2, even when im floating in midair lol! No i don't actually own the game, and no, i don't care if i didn't spell that right, it's just a bleeping button masher
No it most certainly isn't. I have played that game hard-core and it is actually a very deep fighting engine; it is just eclipsed by the DBZ universe. I could care less about DBZ, but that game is very well done.

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
me and my buddies have gotten really high and tried physically doing nuetral airs and l caneling them

and until you realize it, holding a pose while in a jump is exceptionally hard if its a nair pose of such chars as spacies mario bros etc lmao

Top Bottom