• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Sundays 11-9 Hamden, Ct

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
PoF, you don't even like Brawl. And your stage list has problems of it's own. For starters you want a stage banned due to TEMP walk offs but you're leaving on Distant Planet that has a permenant walk off that D3 can CG up. PS shouldn't be a nuetral, not in Brawl unless you have the stage strike system in place. Jungle Japes is fine, and makes a great CP. Yoshi's Island Melee makes for a great MetaKnight Counter(and I believe the hill is TOO steep for D3) which would make at least one GOOD CP against Meta. Castle Seige is a fine CP because the walk offs are all TEMP, but it's borderline. Luigi's Mansion has massive stalling, cave of life, camping issues.

Elitism isn't cool. Don't be a douche. And, honestly, if you're going to be. Try knowing what you're talking about. I don't WANT to be a jerk but your constant pointless brawl bashing and than how rude you were to someone that's new and obviously welcome to help is ludicrous. Learn some respect for people, please.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
PoF why do you act like such an elitist, its kind of lame dude.

edit: telling someone that their tourny makes you laugh etc etc, is not really a great way to welcome someone new to the community obviously he is willing to learn, theres not really a need to act like that.
Neutral Stages: (Set to Random)

Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

CounterPicks:

Delphino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Norfair
Castle Seige
Jungle Japes
Halberd
Pstadium 1/2
Pictochat
Brinstar
Corneria
Pirateship
Rainbow Cruise

This is what i would recommend for stage choices.

Oh yeah, Team Attack is REQUIRED for teams. Without team attack, there are multiple strategies that can be abused and make a team untouchable. If you want this to be a fair doubles tournament, make sure you require team attack on.

All matches should be 3 stock, 2 stock is way too quick for a match and if someone gains upper hand they pretty much can keep it.

Lastly, i'd say most matches are best 2 / 3 but finals are 3/5, and if double elimination that means losers, winners AND grand finals are all 3/5.

Just a few tips to help keep a smooth tourney ran xD
PoF, you don't even like Brawl. And your stage list has problems of it's own. For starters you want a stage banned due to TEMP walk offs but you're leaving on Distant Planet that has a permenant walk off that D3 can CG up. PS shouldn't be a nuetral, not in Brawl unless you have the stage strike system in place. Jungle Japes is fine, and makes a great CP. Yoshi's Island Melee makes for a great MetaKnight Counter(and I believe the hill is TOO steep for D3) which would make at least one GOOD CP against Meta. Castle Seige is a fine CP because the walk offs are all TEMP, but it's borderline. Luigi's Mansion has massive stalling, cave of life, camping issues.

Elitism isn't cool. Don't be a douche. And, honestly, if you're going to be. Try knowing what you're talking about. I don't WANT to be a jerk but your constant pointless brawl bashing and than how rude you were to someone that's new and obviously welcome to help is ludicrous. Learn some respect for people, please.
I will talk or say whatever the heck I feel like saying. If you do not like me nor want to talk to me, don't. I really don't give a crap. Treat ME with respect, and I treat you with respect. Simple as that.

Also: Icylight basically said the same exact thing (aside from Corneria and Jungle Japes...pirate ship is QUESTIONABLE...it's really not THAT bad.) I said Modern so yeah, I must have no idea what I'm talking about. Are you implying that Icy knows nothing about Brawl too? Because I'm pretty sure hes very good at Brawl and knows a lot about the game. :) Why should Pokemon Stadium be a counter pick? There is absolutely NOTHING different about the level as compared to Melee other than the fact that you get caught under the windmill....absolutely nothing. The windmill is not a big deal. Seeing as it was a Neutral in Melee, it should remain the same for Brawl just like Battlefield and Final Destination has.

Yoshis Island is a counter for MK? I stopped reading after that.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
You're right his list was SIMILIAR. Differences, though are PS1 CP, Jungle Japes CP, Castle Seige CP Distant Planet Banned. All things I said or implied in my post critiquing your list.

Corneria he has on and I'll never understand that. But maybe it's just me, personal opinion permenant wall stages are bad thing in brawl. They simply are.

As for Yoshi's being a MetaKnight Counter. It's the entire reason the stage is legal in some regions and/or at some tournaments.

And please, explain to me where the OP was disrespectful enough to you that you felt the need to be so rude to him. Yeah, I'm not being entirely kind to you at the moment, I have a personal problem with how you treated him. It was rude and uncalled for, so go ahead and be a jerk to me that's fine. I just don't understand the need to be rude to him. He's new and trying to run something... he should be encouraged not discouraged. But maybe I'm crazy in thinking new people in the smash scene is a good thing. After all I'm a Brawl player with an '08 date, I couldn't possibly have any idea what I'm talking about.

EDIT: Oh I guess I missed that he also has Luigi's Mansion banned.(despite what a quality Oli level it can be.) My mistake.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
Maybe I came off a bit strong but if someone within the smash community is going to host an event and is unsure of how to run things all they would have to do is go to the smash tourney listings on here (which he clearly knew about....) and take a look at the current tournaments that are being run to get a good general idea of how things are run. The guy is not an idiot, he's in college and is clearly capable of gathering a general consensus of how to run things. There is a difference between being "new to the community" and simply not thinking.

If you cannot get a good effective counter pick with a good 10-12 or so levels, you are not good at this game. You do not need 18 levels to counter pick effectively. Melee has roughly 8-10 to choose from and people seem to be satisfied with that rule set.

And you know what you're talking about with Brawl but don't go off saying I don't know what I'm talking about. I placed well and did moderately well when I played. I averaged about 10th at every tournament.

13th at first two Esticles (out of 80-87 people and tied with Solid Jake both times) Jake also beat me once in tourney, and I beat him once.

2nd out of 20 at Cat Fights first tournament.

I placed 5th at the tournament up at SCSU out of 30 something entrants.

5th at RG II

13th at RGIII

and 7th at Bloomfield

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
::shrug::

Fair enough. You seem to be taking it back a few notches so I'll do the same.

And in his defense, he did seem to simply go by the SBR's recommended rule list, for stages, as flawed as I think it is. I am very picky about stage lists, personally. You and I clearly don't agree so that's a fine example. As for having lots of stages to CP on, there's no reason not to.

There are tons more stages in Brawl than Melee and while many aren't competitive some are, and there's no reason to take advantage of that. In some ways I can understand where the SBR is coming from in having so many stages. There's no reason to rule anything out immeaditly. It's sorta like Evo and items. It's a new game, might as well test it out and see.

I don't agree with Evo or SBR, but I give them credit for trying. Alot of people were insanely conservatitve with their rules early and that wasn't a great idea. With Wave Shining gone I don't even see a huge problem with some of the old stages, but with the ludicrous amount of stuff you can do on a wall I think Walls are still an issue. They make things far too campy, boring, and all around bad, imo. But in all seriousness, Green Hill Zone could be an amazing level and I'm just never going to know it because everyone is so conservative with their lists.

::shrug::

In that sense more power to him for trying something. Hopefully all the input will help him out. And if I came off like an ***, sorry. I just have some issues with how people get treated at times.

EDIT: Stage Rant... wow. I lose track of what I'm talking about sometimes. Than i shrug and just get the point.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Ummm to start, a lot of people stray from SWF rule list because they don't find it necessary all the time. This tournament was originally a very small tournament, allowing them to change the rules for everyones satisfaction quite a bit! They did single elimination, friendly fire off in teams, and had fun. They don't play hardcore and even said they didn't in a previous post in one of these threads. Keep in mind they are new to competitive community and don't want to go crazy about changing their game play rules right away. Other than that. Luigi's mansion should be on but I know for a fact it's a bull **** level for the average character. It's amazing for oli and quite good for mk, but other than that it's not so good for everyone else. Keep these things in mind. Look at Corneria, yeah it's really good level for Oli, Marth, etc. But it's also good for a lot of other cast characters. We don't make stage list based off of 1 or 2 characters.

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
First of all Delfino is in no way a neutral true however, neither is PS1. Luigi's is ****ed IMO and I've already stated why. If anyone really sees any problems with my list I posted on the last page please post why because I would like to know your view on it. To me, there is nothing wrong with those stages I put up.

Pof there are some things wrong with his list but it is his tourney after and you could have gone about it better. PS1 has a lot of problems and definately should be a CP. Castle Siege is plenty fair and the walk off is avoidable for D3 you can camp or bait him to the platforms or simply ban it. You do have 2 after all. There really isn't anything wrong with Pirate Ship honestly. It's not too small and bombs are easily avoidable, I like it because it's different and in some ways makes you change your playstyle, no gimps and such. Distant Planet has a walk off the entire time and is simply too small to avoid, the rain also cause random gay SD's, it should be banned. Corneria needs to be banned because of camping and DDD. I realize this and since his CG to the wall isn't necessarily an infinite ypu definately can't ban it that's dumb. Lastly like, what else? Jungle Japes? It was on a lot of the time for Melee so why not Brawl? Only difference is if you slip off you're not definately done for. Also a good CP for certain characters. Yoshi's Melee is a small level and can help weak characters and is also big enough to avoid CG which I believe is escapable because of the angle of the slope.

Either way in the end it is his choice so I guess we can just wait and see.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Castle Siege is plenty fair and the walk off is avoidable for D3 you can camp or bait him to the platforms or simply ban it.
quoted for truth. Prime example of when i picked d3 against teevee and dark.pch in grand finals last newbs for brawl xD

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
I think Melee had 8-10 CP's because well, that's what it had. Brawl has more levels so what reason is there not to use them?

POF- If Catfight's first tournament was Reaper's Game I then you came in 4th because M-D came in 2nd and Vulcan came in 3rd and I was 5th I remember very clearly.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I would like to know the turnout for this before I decide to go. I have another tournament on this day, but I wanna go to the one with the most turnout.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
Dark, I would really love for you to come to this one (no homo); but I honestly don't know how many people are going to come. They usually get around 15 - 20 people and we are trying to get an extra 10 people to go maybe. I say this tourny is gonna is be in the 30 range for attendence.

Also consider, if you come you are guaranteed profit from doubles haha

Wario4Ever

Smash Cadet
We had 15 people the last time we held the tourney. And since the chances are they are all coming back and there seem to be a number of you here dedicated to come, it looks like the turnout will be over 20 people.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
So basically...

it's 15 + Whoever else we get to come. It should be a pretty decent turnout then.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
yes i'm definitely going to come to this =] i've been waiting for a whole week and i'm getting impatient! TeeVee, don't say gaurenteed to doubles because he might get upset when he loses xD

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I dont care much for teams when I enter them. And if its against you sir, I dont have much to worry about in doubles. I told you before I am always one step ahead of you.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I've been crazy busy this weekend, so I can finally update a bit. Quite a lot has gone on as I can see. I really appreciate all the support and help from the community I've seen so far. I'll add a few posts in a bit in response to certain posts but I'd just like to say thank you to everyone so far and I'm totally psyched about this. Sunday can't come fast enough. This will def be our biggest turnout yet, and I'm trying to make some changes to compensate for it, but I do want to stick to a few points. I don't want this to turn into something so competitive it seems more like a job and loses it's fun. I might have a stage on or two that do seem slightly odd, but remember THE GAME IS ABOUT FUN! I understand the competitive nature and that's why a LOT of stages are banned. I should have a relatively final list by tonight/later today. If any more changes need to come up between now and the start I'll look into them toward the end of the week.

That all aside, I can't wait till Sunday!!!!!!! I'm going to get to the more specific posts now. Thanks again to everyone and I really look forward to competing with you all at this upcoming SMASH SUNDAYS.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
This tourney makes me laugh.

There is absolutely NO NEED for Green Hill Zone, (LOL!!!! Green Hill Zone!) Castle Siege, (DD and Falco Chain grabs anyone???) Corneria, Jungle Japes (No, just no.) the Pirate Ship, and Yoshis Island.

Also, you NEED to make it 3 stock and have team attack be ON.
Alas I agree with you on green hill zone mostly because that was a nice little typo that I didn't catch earlier. Was supposed to be green greens I edited that in the main post. Which is also a little chancy, but I believe that is one of the points of Brawl, a little bit should be up to some chance. Nothing should be totally set in stone and a little danger makes it fun.

Past that it will be 3 stock, always has been. Team Attack will be on this time around. We haven't had a big pull for doubles in general and most people who did play it, while good players, enjoyed it edging more toward casual.

Might want to make your arguments not so harsh. All friendly here:)

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Stages

First of all Delfino is in no way a neutral true however, neither is PS1. Luigi's is ****ed IMO and I've already stated why. If anyone really sees any problems with my list I posted on the last page please post why because I would like to know your view on it. To me, there is nothing wrong with those stages I put up.

Pof there are some things wrong with his list but it is his tourney after and you could have gone about it better. PS1 has a lot of problems and definately should be a CP. Castle Siege is plenty fair and the walk off is avoidable for D3 you can camp or bait him to the platforms or simply ban it. You do have 2 after all. There really isn't anything wrong with Pirate Ship honestly. It's not too small and bombs are easily avoidable, I like it because it's different and in some ways makes you change your playstyle, no gimps and such. Distant Planet has a walk off the entire time and is simply too small to avoid, the rain also cause random gay SD's, it should be banned. Corneria needs to be banned because of camping and DDD. I realize this and since his CG to the wall isn't necessarily an infinite ypu definately can't ban it that's dumb. Lastly like, what else? Jungle Japes? It was on a lot of the time for Melee so why not Brawl? Only difference is if you slip off you're not definately done for. Also a good CP for certain characters. Yoshi's Melee is a small level and can help weak characters and is also big enough to avoid CG which I believe is escapable because of the angle of the slope.

Either way in the end it is his choice so I guess we can just wait and see.

I really appreciate your input a lot. You've made many valid points that have influence/helped my decisions. That being said, Delfino prob will stay in the starter 5, due to the way we do stage striking, it normally doesn't even show up as most players want one of the the other 4 .:) Castle Siege is pretty good for D3, but he can be avoided during that one section, considering it's HUGE with multiple platforms. Corneria Is a valid CP IMO. CP is designed to kill off stages that a few chars have large advantages on, and I believe Corneria fits that bill amazingly. Certain chars are obviously better on that stage so it's up to the players to figure out which ones have more advantage and CP effectively.

On to the most debated one... Luigi's Mansion. This one is the one that seems to be most on the peak with me... I see valid points on both sides of the argument. But in the end, it appears not to be broken to the point many people seem to fear. It is destructible which makes it more fair. It makes all the negatives on the level only count as temp negatives which is why I think it will make a good CP. Not to mention not everyone can take complete advantage of the stage. I've used it against falco and some other range chars just for the walls to help when I'm not a range char. If I see it being excessively used in the next few Smash Sundays, I will rethink my position.

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
Sounds cool man can't wait to see everyone there and new players/ "regulars" as well. :0)

IcyLight

Smash Lord
hey olimar369, it was awesome getting to play with you today. I had fun and enjoyed our ffa's lol. Hey, question, does your college use CRT televisions? (the big ones), or flat screen? There is a lag problem on flat screens which make the tube/crt televisions viable for tourney play. A lot of people refuse to play on laggy T.V's. Just a question, would bring up some differences. Keep in mind if you need people to bring a setup people are always more than welcome!

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
Oli, if I can't there until like 12:15 -12:30ish is that cool can you wait for me a bit?

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Oli, if I can't there until like 12:15 -12:30ish is that cool can you wait for me a bit?
Ya we should be able to wait till then. We want people there by 12 if at all possible, hopefully this will give us a 1 pm starting time... But realistically we want everyone there by 12

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
hey olimar369, it was awesome getting to play with you today. I had fun and enjoyed our ffa's lol. Hey, question, does your college use CRT televisions? (the big ones), or flat screen? There is a lag problem on flat screens which make the tube/crt televisions viable for tourney play. A lot of people refuse to play on laggy T.V's. Just a question, would bring up some differences. Keep in mind if you need people to bring a setup people are always more than welcome!
Well we actually play at my friend Chris's house (the one you met today). We use whatever we have on hand. I bring over my tv and system. My friend will prob bring his over as well, which is the exact same kind as mine, only a few inches larger. I don't think there should be any problems. We haven't experienced any in the past. If there is one, just bring it up to me the day of the event.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
If dark pch doesnt go, im going to need a partner for this...

IcyLight

Smash Lord
wario4ever, i hear you are quite good. I would like to verse ya next sunday at some point if we don't play in tourney =]

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i might not be able to go to this. someone backed into my car a few weeks back and now the insurance company is going to take it. If i can get my jeep fixed by then (looooong hours of work) i'll be able to go, that or if someone can pick me up all the way out here >_>

hopefully i can make this! ><

teevee perhaps you can pick me up at train station in new haven? i can see if i can get on the train up here, check out prices

Top Bottom