• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Sundays 6 Hamden, Ct 12-7-08

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
We will start this Brawl tourney on Sunday (12/7/08) around 12ish in the afternoon. The address will be 36 New Road Hamden, CT (Special thanks to all in that house for letting us host there again!)

Changes from last Smash Sundays

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
I'm debating trying a big thing to see how it goes. If anyone would like to comment on it, or perhaps... run a small mock tourney to see how this goes, please tell me and we can work on it. The IDEA is a tourney with items. Please look at the link b4 you just initially say "no" out of reflex.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164675

Post up and give me your opinions. I'll decide on trying it or not on either Monday or Tuesday to give us all enough time to prepare if this trial goes into effect.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
**you can ask me if you have any questions, my contact info is at the bottom of the post. **

COST
Some rules can be found below. Same entry fee's 5$ per format entry. Which means if you want in singles, you have to pay 5$ and if you want in doubles you and your partner each have to pay 5$. Don't forget your 2$ venue fee. This means if you compete it both formats it will be 5$ for singles + 5$ for doubles + 2$ venue fee. Total of 12$ so still not too bad. I wish you all the best of luck!!

BRING PEOPLE!! Please bring your friends and tell them about it. The more people we bring, the more fun it will be! I hope to see you all there.

!! Contact Jason with any and all questions through phone/text/e-mail !!

Sincerely
Smash Sundays Crew
Jason Croog
(203)298-8454
Jason.Croog@quinnipiac.edu

RULES:

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stages

Starter Stages will be:

1. Final Destination
2. Smashville
3. Battlefield
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Delfino

Counterpick stages will be:

1. Castle Siege
2. Halberd
3. Lylat Cruise
4. Pokémon Stadium 1
5. Brinstar
6. Corneria
7. Distant Planet
8. Frigate Orpheon
9. Green Greens
10. Jungle Japes
11. Luigi's Mansion
12. Norfair
13. Pictochat
14. Pirate Ship
15. Pokémon Stadium 2
16. Rainbow Cruise
17. Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

All characters and strategies are viable (unless you’re just trying to waste time. The specific time wasting strategies I’m referring to can be looked up at smashboards.com as well any we will be mostly following the recommended rules from smashboards. The smashboards rules can be found here ). We will run 2/3 three stock matches, with an 8 minute time maximum time limit Final match will either be a best of 3 or best of 5 match depending on time constraints. Hopefully best of 5.

This is open to anyone, not just QU students, bring your friends, family, co-workers etc.
Bring your own controllers if you want to play with a decent controller or else you might be issued a semi working one. Don’t forget you can save your control scheme on your wii motes.

If you need a ride from Quinnipiac U. let me know in an e-mail or call or text me at 203-298-8454, we will provide some rides out of the kindness of our hearts.
Food and drinks will not be provided but you can bring/order your own. If you want to bring any alcohol you can, you must provide valid ID that you are 21 to us b4 you drink (sorry we’re trying to keep this legit) Smoking outside only (again keep it legal). Park on the street not in the driveway.

Prizes

Prizes - Winner will take about 70% of entry fees, while 2nd place will get 20% and 3rd place will take 10%. Actual prize money will be determined on the day of the tourney after seeing how many people attend.

Contact

If you have any questions/comments send a text to Jason (203) 298-8454 or you can contact his AIM at anhstinx or you can e-mail him at Jason.Croog@quinnipiac.edu

TeeVee

Smash Lord
In my opinion, items have NO place in competative play.

However, certain items by themselves hold no threat and can be used to be realllll flashy with glide toass combos.

Items SHOULDN'T be on, but if you must ; Smoke ball and Mr. Saturn are the only ones I advise.

noodles

Smash Champion
items shouldnt be on but they are extremely fun. have it in like a third event maybe? last one finished early

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying it would be the same as the tourney's we hold now. I'm just thinking it would be an interesting thing to try out. He seemed to have some good justifications for most, if not all of the items, about why they are/are not banned. I think we might try the side event thing... Wonder how well it would do... Def something to think about.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Well from the people that I've talked to, and the people that have posted on here. It seems to be about an even split down the middle of people that want to do it, and people that don't... I'm thinking I should hold it as a side event. It seems that would be the best course of action. I'm going to go over the rules a bit so I don't just copy and paste this thing :) So pretty much we'll run it as an extra format. Singles, Doubles, and Singles (items on) will be the 3 formats. Sound good to everyone. I hope there will be a good showing for this new format. I know I'll be in. Def something fun to try.

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
Please hold it as a third event after doubles/singles or hold it or something because I would like to go to this but if there's items I won't :0/

blackanese

Smash Lord
New York Citaaay :333 Occupation: Stripper ;]
if anything could u please change the neautral / counter pick stages to how most tourneys are using? if you need the most updated stages being used in almost every tourney i can post it here. or just look at any other tourney rules. doing so would probably bring more people

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
if anything could u please change the neautral / counter pick stages to how most tourneys are using? if you need the most updated stages being used in almost every tourney i can post it here. or just look at any other tourney rules. doing so would probably bring more people
Well, 1st of all, have you been there b4? 2nd of all, with his comment in mind, what stages do you guys think should be changed from counterpick to banned? Also do you think i should switch out Delfino for another different neutral stage to make up our starting 5?

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Items are massive overpowered in Brawl unless you use like a whole whopping 5 of them. So I'd say not to do it. And items add too much randomness anyway. Also, any chance of these moving to a Saturday eventually? I can't go to Sunday tournies.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Items are massive overpowered in Brawl unless you use like a whole whopping 5 of them. So I'd say not to do it. And items add too much randomness anyway. Also, any chance of these moving to a Saturday eventually? I can't go to Sunday tournies.
I agree items are overpowered, more so in brawl then in the previous installments. I want to try out this guys ruleset though. Seems like it might make it a bit more balanced. I do like a limited amount of randomness. It's not like it's every item. I also like the idea of item counterpicks. Adds a whole new dimension to how you view a char. Are they as good with items on? What specific items? Which items would you not want to see in your opponents hand? I really think it will make for an interesting side experiment. I can't wait to try it.

I doubt I'll ever be able to run it on a sat. I work retail... in a liquor store... That means every Fri. and Sat. I NEED to be there by 4, at the very latest. Sunday it will stay, sorry.

blackanese

Smash Lord
Well, 1st of all, have you been there b4? 2nd of all, with his comment in mind, what stages do you guys think should be changed from counterpick to banned? Also do you think i should switch out Delfino for another different neutral stage to make up our starting 5?
been where? if u mean tourneys im usually at 1 every week. anyways ths stages should look like this

Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon
Battleship Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2 (this can be subject 2 change depending no host)
Norfair (this can be subject 2 change depending no host)
Luigis Mansion (this can be subject 2 change depending no host)

each player also has 1 ban of any stage of their choice and 1 stage strike

but yah please let me know if you can change the stages to something around the example used above. and if any time after the tournment, an itmes tourney would sound fun

noodles

Smash Champion
i was thinking of going, but srry bro 12 bucks is not worth it with items on :p
12 bucks can get you in for singles and doubles. honestly i dont know why people are making a big deal out of this seeing as its a THIRD EVENT and doesnt need to be played

blackanese

Smash Lord
12 bucks can get you in for singles and doubles. honestly i dont know why people are making a big deal out of this seeing as its a THIRD EVENT and doesnt need to be played
exactly. people, please read b4 making a post. this tourney is is singles and doubles with NO items on.

people r discussing whether or not an items tourney should be made 4 fun AFTER both singles and doubles -_-

TeeVee

Smash Lord
blackanese, are you coming to this ; if so, bring glick because im gonna need a doubles partner lol

=P

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
We just added the extra event for the people who wanted to try it. I think it will inspire a fun thought process with character selection and item bannings. Not to mention I think it will be FUN to try. You guys remember that one right? Fun? Well I understand it's not for everyone, but I def want to try it out b4 I pass judgment. The ruleset makes his specific set of items look like they can be used for a (different then usual) form of good competitive play. :)

Moon-Doggie

Smash Ace
We just added the extra event for the people who wanted to try it. I think it will inspire a fun thought process with character selection and item bannings. Not to mention I think it will be FUN to try. You guys remember that one right? Fun? Well I understand it's not for everyone, but I def want to try it out b4 I pass judgment. The ruleset makes his specific set of items look like they can be used for a (different then usual) form of good competitive play. :)
This is the same place right...? Last time it was a tad cramped. >>;

Other then that, items seem like a cool idea, counter pick wise how will that work...?

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
im lost whens the next on j?
At the very beginning of the post guys ;)

We will start this Brawl tourney on Sunday (12/7/08) around 12ish in the afternoon. The address will be 36 New Road Hamden, CT (Special thanks to all in that house for letting us host there again!)

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Hey i want to go to this Tournament but i problly cant make this one.... DO you have any idea when the next one will be?
We normally run this every two weeks. So every other Sunday. Although this next time... I'm not sure. I don't know if we will have access to the house during the upcoming school break. For this reason I'm not sure when/if we will have our next one. I'll talk to my friend who owns the place and hopefully we can work something out.

Unzorn

Smash Rookie
Still pushing for Delfino eh? Give it up and put in Lylat instead :chuckle:
Anyway, I'll be there. Items should be interesting; it might actually give me a chance! :bee:

blackanese

Smash Lord
blackanese, are you coming to this ; if so, bring glick because im gonna need a doubles partner lol

lmfao idks if glick can make it, ill ask him anyways, make sure u ask him 2. pressuring people 2 do stuff aka make him go 2 tourneys always work =D... unless hes broke lmfao

=P
lmfao idks if glick can make it, ill ask him anyways, make sure u ask him 2. pressuring people 2 do stuff aka make him go 2 tourneys always work =D... unless hes broke lmfao

yah this will be great, u should make this event like $2 since its just for fun. but youre the host the what ever is fine with me xD

also u think u could change the rules 4 the stages (neutrals and counterpicks?) if u really dont want 2 its perfectly fine with me, but i think most people prefer the most common one

also if i can make it, would any1 like 2 do MMs? (money matches) either teams or singles idc

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Might b there, willing to play both but not the items prob
All good, can't wait to see you there! No pressure to play any of the formats you don't want to. Although for people that are going to try the items out with the rest of us, make sure you read through those rules that were posted earlier.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys great news. We will be able to use the house that we are currently using over the X-mas break!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot to the people that live there! Very happy and very good news. So we be able to keep having Smash Sundays every two weeks.

Hntai

Smash Rookie
Toon Link for the win. I do quite enjoy the idea of having items.

Zro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4356-1415-1117
can anyone pick me and my friend up at the closest station to the venue?
btw what is the closest station? lol
hit me up on aim please.... spikeingking64 =]

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!
We will not be hosting Smash Sudays this Sunday due to a few things.
1st: the pipes burst in the house making it unusable for a while.
2nd: There is supposed to be snow tomorrow morning, seems nature doesn't want it to happen either.

We will have our next Smash Sundays on January 4th. Sorry this notice couldn't come earlier. Busy with life and all. Hope to see you all in just over 2 weeks!

Top Bottom