• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Terms and Spelling

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I wanted to make a thread highlighting an often used (and ignored) aspect of Smash discussion: grammar and spelling. Basically a thread that answers the question:

How do you properly spell "glidetoss"?

And other terms.

Now, my main problem is that I'm not a fully studied grammarian. I merely care to have things written properly. That's where you come in. Help me out. How do I spell the below terms? Can they be spelled properly? Are they just invented words with no proper way of spelling them?

"Glidetoss"

"Chaingrabs"

"Wavedash"

"Knockback"

"Autocancel"

Basically, are these one or two words?

I'd also like to bring to light words that are very much English, but aren't being treated like they are. Words like:

"Canceled"
Not "cancelled".

"Sweet spot"
Two words.

And probably others.

Anyways, halpz.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Nobody really cares.

It's sort of like "How do we type out Fair, bair, N-air, AUA, or Down-Aerial Standard Attack?"

TheMike

Smash Lord
Well, according to Smash Wiki, Glide Toss and Chain Grab are separated. Knockback and Wavedash are not. I cannot say why as I do not know much of English's grammar because it is not my native language. :x

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I don't care that nobody cares. I CARE.

:mad:

It's not like I'm calling for strict spelling standards to be enforced forum-wide or something. I'm just wondering if those standards even exist.

@mike

Thanks! Smash Wiki is a feeble source though, and I'm not totally trusting of it.

It's sort of like "How do we type out Fair, bair, N-air, AUA, or Down-Aerial Standard Attack?"
Wait, that's a terrible example. "Fair, bair, n-air", all of that is slang. Inherently, it's not gonna be tied by any grammar rules. The formal way of spelling them would be "forward aerial" with variations.

Aegri Somnia

Smash Cadet
Examples like Nair and FSmash are not separated, at least to my knowledge.

Wavedash is not separated, as it hasn't been for years.

As for Chain Grabs and Glide Toss, I usually spell it the more professional looking way.

It all boils down to preference and your understanding of incorporating slang into the English vocabulary.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
"Glide toss" looks better to me, though thinking grammatically, it should be easier to keep track of a whole new noun than an additional meaning for the adjective "glide". However, I guess since everyone you'd want to say either to would know what you're talking about anyway, it would be better to say "glide toss".

"Chain grabs" would look fine if the word for what we call a "chaingrab" didn't exist, so I guess my vote goes for "chaingrabs" like you said.

For "wave" to become an adjective is too much, we might as well have it be one new word, plus everyone already calls it a "wavedash" anyway.

"Knockback" is definitely one word. Neither of "knock" or "back" are even nouns (when "knockback" is supposed to be).

"Auto" is already a prefix for many English words, so I think it goes without saying that "autocancel" should be one word, however, I think that "auto" is a bad prefix for what it is meant to describe, because when most moves autocancel, it is not as simple as the aerial being over completely.

Also, lol @ everyone capitalizing the terms.

Laurel

Smash Ace
tomayto tomahto I suppose (but instead of saying it, it's writing it). If I recall, slang never had a definite spelling.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Okay, my second degree is in Linguistics, so you can be sure this comes with a fair bit of experience when I say:

It doesn't matter one bit.

You might have a point with "cancelled vs. canceled," because that refers to common spelling practices for suffixation, although the misspelling of canceled is far from the greatest spelling problem on these forums. But as far as where the space goes in words like wavedash, it doesn't really change the fact that every example you listed is one compound morpheme. The space in any such word is superfluous and the mental grammar treats it as one word no matter how its spelled. Don't worry yourself about how you spell it.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Okay, my second degree is in Linguistics, so you can be sure this comes with a fair bit of experience when I say:

It doesn't matter one bit.

You might have a point with "cancelled vs. canceled," because that refers to common spelling practices for suffixation, although the misspelling of canceled is far from the greatest spelling problem on these forums. But as far as where the space goes in words like wavedash, it doesn't really change the fact that every example you listed is one compound morpheme. The space in any such word is superfluous and the mental grammar treats it as one word no matter how its spelled. Don't worry yourself about how you spell it.
That's settled then. Thanks Phoot. :bee:

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Wait, that's a terrible example. "Fair, bair, n-air", all of that is slang. Inherently, it's not gonna be tied by any grammar rules. The formal way of spelling them would be "forward aerial" with variations.
Idk about the formal name in Brawl (I don’t have a Brawl manual, you see), but the official name for those attacks in melee, according to my official Super Smash Bros. Melee manual goes:
Uair is called Midair Attack: Up
Nair is called Midair Attack: Neutral
Dair is called Midair Attack: Down
Etc

So if we’re looking for the formal acronyms for these attacks, in Melee atleast it would actually be MAU (up air), NAU (neutral air), DAU (down air), etc.

Just saying.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I believe you meant

MAU
MAN
and MAD

Also, I believe that there is currently a project going on in the Smash Lab to release such a list for people unsatisfied with the lack of a standard.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
this is a waste of energy.
you could contribute more to the smash community by being a potmonster.

that is all
Just wanted to say I'm sigging this.

Oh, also to anyone who doesn't care, just don't post here. Threads go away when nobody gives it attention.

And Meno, your thread is legit. Good poop.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
@Pierce: Oh yeah, you're right.....

Probably shouldn't try and write stuff like that early in the morning when I can't think properly :p

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Also, I believe that there is currently a project going on in the Smash Lab to release such a list for people unsatisfied with the lack of a standard.
Good, because I am very unsatisfied.

Top Bottom