• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

Blazin!

Smash Apprentice
Best of 1.

Will save time and it's only pools tbh. Gives no room for flopping witch i think is best.

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
ermm because pools is part of the tournament experience and having straight brackets can cause unfair matches example a complete new person vs fuzzyness..........the whole point is you need to earn your place in the bracket, once you reach that bracket you then know your against the more skilled people of the tournament this is where you make a name for yourself. Straight brackets also put alot of pressure on players with high nerves...

Blazin!

Smash Apprentice
MAKO I JUST READ UR POST

THATS A GREAT IDEA O.O

GET
RID
OF
POOLS
NOW!

DOUBLES. get rid of pools an add doubles and surely there would be enough time, or just loads of friendlies so we can all improve more etc.

Scrap ****ing pools

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I like the idea thing but there has to be a sense of seeding in the brackets, like we can't have Me vs Fuzzynes straight away in the brackets and then Chrisboi vs Frostbyte in the brackets and then it end of Me vs Frostbyte in the losers brackets or Chrisboi vs Fuzzyness cos then the top people could potentially go out earlier, which could potentially make the final results look dumb.

MakoMako

Smash Journeyman
Yeah definately, so it's looking like straight to brackets for singles then doubles afterwards.

Or even, 8 vs 8 crew battle (only Top 16 in tournament) using the top 2 as captains for drafts.

Yeah and what Prof said, we WILL be seeding the brackets instead of letting Loli doing it.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
yeah honestly pools is a piece of **** and I've played in plenty of other tournaments for different games without pools.

they all do fine.

OmegaExile

Smash Cadet
1st place gets 60% of the money
2nd 30%
3rd 10%

I thought you went to the last one lol but Good luck for your first tournament anyway, make sure whatever the outcome don't feel discouraged to play at the tournament but instead try to soak up as much knowledge as you can about the game.

Try to find out if there are any people that play in your area so you could meet up with them cos it's always good to have a friend to play with.

HSAM Don't you lot live in West London? IFFF you do then maybe you could meet up with OmegaExile.
OK! i plan on bringing 5-10 people looool so u guys can get more monaay :chuckle:
oh and i was gonna go to the last tourney but it was 1 chicks bday n we went clubbin instead loooool *****>ssbb :chuckle:

Fishy

Smash Rookie
Re: the pools thing, as a noob who came to the last monthly as his first tournament:

If there were no pools, I would've been pretty discouraged to travel as far as I did just to play one guy (officially) cause of the lack of pools. Most new guys are gonna loose 2-0 (which i did). I think pools definately let you earn your place, but also mean your not totally wasting your time if you get beat straight off.

Also the fact that the pools were seeded meant that I got to play fuzzy as well as some guys nearer (although still clearly above) my level. I learnt loads about edgegaurding with falcon in one match with fuzzy, went straight back to the table to play my mate and suddenly he just wasn't getting back on.

Bottom line: Pools take longer, but they mean that new guys get more experiance, are more likely to come back even if they got beat, and the seeded players in each group means they will learn more and hopefully become a lot better and make the whole scene grow in size and competitiveness. I appreciate you can still learn from the friendlies, but the top guys (understandably) want to play each other.

Just saying, I think pools are fairer for everyone. You'd get more unrepresentative upsets as opposed to earned ones without them.

cong

Smash Journeyman
going stright to brackets seems like a bad idea, ant fuzzy planning on doing doubles events on certain months?

im always seeing new people come to these it seems way more logical to allow people the opportunity to play more tourney games. it probaly takes people atleast an hour or two to get to these events and getting wiped out in 2 games would probaly demoralise people from attending again.

it'd probaly sounds like a good idea to get the singles tourney over to play doubles right now, but with a growing community it's probaly better to give newer and mid skilled players a chance to play more matches so it doesn't feel like a wasted time.

on a side note, Exile gonna be ****** guys in this tourney :laugh::laugh:

Blazin!

Smash Apprentice
Nah, he won't be cong.

And I think we should atleast experiment with this first.

Jolteon

honestly just try no pools, it's good and it means we have loads of time to spare. You'll love it.

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
No pools is fine as long as the players in charge of setting up the bracket are good at manual seeding.

To those who say new players will not get enough matches:
In a pool of 4-6 people, you will get 3-5 tournement matches. In double elimination, you will get 2 matches. While this sounds bad, setups will be less used quicker, so you are able to do friendlies much earlier. It also means we get to do doubles, so you get to enter in more than once. I think that easily makes up for it.

For those worried about seeding:
People like prof and fuzzy etc for melee, and fuzzy, kira, mako etc for brawl will be able to make sure seeding is right. JJ, bad players are supposed to play good players earlier. Ideally, first round the best player should play against the worst player, of course, this may not work out 100% accurate in practice, things like prof vs fuzzy shouldnt happen till finals.

Anyway, I'm all for straight to brackets as long as the seeding is done properly. I'd be willing to help if you want to take up my offer but I could understand if you didn't lol.

MakoMako

Smash Journeyman
Can someone please explain to me how pools gives new players who aren't that confident yet tons of tournament experience. Last time I checked, pools of 4 would mean they get to play at least 3 games before getting knocked out. Brackets means they play at least 2, if 1 extra match is all it takes for all the knowledge of competitive smash to suddenly flow into your brain then I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time by proposing such an absurd idea.
Discarding pools to cut the duration of the tournament in half, boy what was I thinking.

OmegaExile

Smash Cadet
going stright to brackets seems like a bad idea, ant fuzzy planning on doing doubles events on certain months?

im always seeing new people come to these it seems way more logical to allow people the opportunity to play more tourney games. it probaly takes people atleast an hour or two to get to these events and getting wiped out in 2 games would probaly demoralise people from attending again.

it'd probaly sounds like a good idea to get the singles tourney over to play doubles right now, but with a growing community it's probaly better to give newer and mid skilled players a chance to play more matches so it doesn't feel like a wasted time.

on a side note, Exile gonna be ****** guys in this tourney :laugh::laugh:
Loooooool STFU man!!! i cant even play this game properly :(
I'm coming to learn how to play on a competitive level coz i only play my bro offline :chuckle:

cong

Smash Journeyman
didint you guys just say you want to do a doubles tourney after?

how can people play friendlys with anther tourny going on?

LOL Exile, man trust your gonna do sick =P

Jolteon

Doubles doesn't take nearly as long/as many set-ups.

Regardless, even if it was just doubles and not friendlies, you would still get more matches in.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
doesn't it depend upon turnout? With a larger turnout, pools is always a good idea but with a smallish turnout just a bracket could be a good alternative. It would avoid some players who are quite good not getting past pools like in my pool there was King and Crabman who are both v good but didn't get through. Plus, with a bracket there'd be no best of 1 crap

Tamoo

Smash Master
going straight to brackets sounds awesome, and if it means time for doubles, then why the hell not

also tio gets the seeding out of the way easily, just take the top 8 from the last tournament and seed as appropriate i guess in the order they came.

Fishy: remember its double elim, so if you lose once, you come up against someone who is likely around you're level as you are both in the losers bracket at the same point. Also, if you get some competetive doubles matches as a result, potentially more competetive matches???

OmegaExile

Smash Cadet
what the turnout usually like??? i'm gonna bring as many people as i can even tho its a bad date ...CARNIVAL!!!...gotta SHAKK out with the HUNNIES!!!
but those who do come r gonna be those players who think they r good but aint really lol (easy many muhahaha)

Top Bottom