• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
You need to chase people down, contact them personally, and make sure they'd feel bad for not coming. This is why people who host tournaments tend to be well-known members of the community with a lot of friends in it; they are the people who can actually achieve this.

Making money off the tuck shop was unrealistic: you had very little idea of what the demand would be like, so had very little idea of the supply you needed to purchase. Not a good recipe for success.
i cant chase down people who dissapear off the face of the earth. and why else would i have gone to the thing at willz desoute the fact i blatantly couldnt afford it? so that i get slightly aquianted with the melee people too. you guys also count yano XD

also, youre missing my point. it was completely realistic, however no-one who actually came gave me things for me to go get. i live like 5 miles from a makro, a mass purchase shop which is incredibly cheap, i could sell thing for half the price the normal shops do (and i did) and still make a profit if it all sold
despite this i bought general **** that the 'confirmed' amount of 50 people would easily empty off the table. but then i ended up with under half of those who confirmed when i bought this stuff cancelling, if i was to include the loss of the tuck shop i would have lost nearly 200 quid. theres apparently a reason no-one hosts outside of big cities

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Anyone up for playing Melee sometime? I could only have 1-2 over.

Regarding Blastzone: While I agree that more effort could have been made in contacting people, I don't think it's really fair to say it's GP's fault entirely. We do have a lazy community, for both Brawl and Melee. I believe we should all put in a good effort to traveling+supporting future out of London events. You have my support for BZ2.

rustediron

Smash Lord
Anyone up for playing Melee sometime? I could only have 1-2 over.

Regarding Blastzone: While I agree that more effort could have been made in contacting people, I don't think it's really fair to say it's GP's fault entirely. We do have a lazy community, for both Brawl and Melee. I believe we should all put in a good effort to traveling+supporting future out of London events. You have my support for BZ2.
But that's exactly my point; we have a lazy community, so if you're going to host, then you need to put A LOT of effort in to make sure people come. Mass posting on every thread in smashboards doesn't really cut it, and is probably going to make people more willing to flake because they'll think you're a bit of a douchebag.

Obviously, if the community wants tournaments, then a good solution might be to stop being lazy. Nevertheless, as a Tournament Organiser, you need to accept that the community IS lazy, and take the necessary steps.

That said, I would be quite willing to go to BZ2 as well, provided it's held during term time.

Jolteon

But that's exactly my point; we have a lazy community, so if you're going to host, then you need to put A LOT of effort in to make sure people come. Mass posting on every thread in smashboards doesn't really cut it, and is probably going to make people more willing to flake because they'll think you're a bit of a douchebag.

Obviously, if the community wants tournaments, then a good solution might be to stop being lazy. Nevertheless, as a Tournament Organiser, you need to accept that the community IS lazy, and take the necessary steps.

That said, I would be quite willing to go to BZ2 as well, provided it's held during term time.
It looks like we agree then. But, I do believe that effort should be put in from both sides of the community.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
quite, however i had contacted just about every brawler ive ever seen in the uk about going (even some i had never seen before lol)
yet i admit i had only spoken to three melee players properly prior to BZ (prof, fuzz, willz) in person. now that i know many of you in person it will be much easier to get it sorted

also hugo sorry to dissaponit but the venue is just about unbookable during term time, its actually a student refferal unit where the bad kids get sent after they get expelled from school, they have to go on weekend of sort things
i can-however-try to book it on the weekend directly after the end of the term. so you wouldnt have to travel away, just stay at someones on the friday night ^^

oh yeah. if i do this, im handing out fliers at the next monthly with info on it. id also like a bit of help in terms of friday night housing for people. within thetford itself i would probably be able to have about 10 people staying on teh friday, everyone of course for the saturday can be in the venue ^^
oh yeah another thing i have to ask. how many melee players are there in northern england (by that, i mean anywhere above/at leichester

Jolteon

quite, however i had contacted just about every brawler ive ever seen in the uk about going (even some i had never seen before lol)
yet i admit i had only spoken to three melee players properly prior to BZ (prof, fuzz, willz) in person. now that i know many of you in person it will be much easier to get it sorted

also hugo sorry to dissaponit but the venue is just about unbookable during term time, its actually a student refferal unit where the bad kids get sent after they get expelled from school, they have to go on weekend of sort things
i can-however-try to book it on the weekend directly after the end of the term. so you wouldnt have to travel away, just stay at someones on the friday night ^^

oh yeah. if i do this, im handing out fliers at the next monthly with info on it. id also like a bit of help in terms of friday night housing for people. within thetford itself i would probably be able to have about 10 people staying on teh friday, everyone of course for the saturday can be in the venue ^^
oh yeah another thing i have to ask. how many melee players are there in northern england (by that, i mean anywhere above/at leichester
I don't mean to sound like you put in no effort contacting people to promote your event, it's just something that you need to put a lot of effort in, doing it repeatedly until you convince people to confirm. I remember when I first considered going to TKI, I had already been to one of Charles' fests and was on the fence about going there (it was near Scotland lol), Kone added me on MSN and tried his best to give me incentives to go, hyped up his event constantly and pestered me until I confirmed for myself and a friend. I believe it's this kind of determination/pestering that is key to getting a good turn out.

Either way, I will be happy to help you promote BZ2 at a monthly in any way I can do.

Northern England has several active (or semi-active) players: jo3/AmcD in the northwest (they actually have several others there, but they no longer travel, maybe you could convince them to attend though), Shiftingshadows/fortunecookie in Scotland, crystalnite is currently residing in Scotland, as is wiggum. There's a few welsh smashers I believe, I think L-J has played them so you would have to contact him.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i get you. and you make incredibly valid points so after this bit im gonna shut up. but the reaction i got for posting everywhere about it and pestering anyonei saw with UK as their location was akin to (one in particular was this exactly) 'G~P stop spamming, no-one cares' kinda sunk me a bit :L

also, im psuedo interest in northern people because there is a chance mum can run a minibus on the morning of the tournament. i know getting to mine is expensive for anyone outside london
as for foods in the venue: who likes bacon? we cna cook bacon in the venue!

Jolteon

Alright, good luck with your endeavours.

I like bacon, but it's not very high up on my list of preferences.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well seeing as youre ofering to help and the like: what sort of thing is right up the top? in terms of cooking it will be fairly limited but i can always have a go

also. anyone whos going to the croydon tournament next month: is anyone willing to give housing to a little large brawler?

Jolteon

I wanna play some melee.

Anyone free this weekend I am still offering people to come mine.......holla.
Hopefully I can make Sat, but I don't have a lot of money currently. :/

well seeing as youre ofering to help and the like: what sort of thing is right up the top? in terms of cooking it will be fairly limited but i can always have a go

also. anyone whos going to the croydon tournament next month: is anyone willing to give housing to a little large brawler?
Uh, snack wise: Crisps (McCoys/Frazzles, but most things work I guess), pot noodles, sandwhiches, waffles, sour skittles, dairy milk, toblerone (not dark). As far as cooked food goes I prefer eggs/sausages over bacon lol.

cong

Smash Journeyman
croydon tourny was today phil, you just missed it.

Its every thursday but the last one in the month is doubles and not singles.

(not 100% Prof/AD should be able to confirm it for you though)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
croydon tourny was today phil, you just missed it.

Its every thursday but the last one in the month is doubles and not singles.

(not 100% Prof/AD should be able to confirm it for you though)
hes talking about the special bigger one that AD is doing on a weekend

Bullet Bill

Smash Master

If the community is lazy then it's their fault more than the hosts. If you are an active melee or brawl player you should WANT to attend tournaments and hosts should not have to nag them to actually attend.

AmcD

Smash Ace
If the community is lazy then it's their fault more than the hosts. If you are an active melee or brawl player you should WANT to attend tournaments and hosts should not have to nag them to actually attend.
Ben reply in your thread. Thanks.

rustediron

Smash Lord
Sure, but given the reality that the community is, in fact, lazy, then said host should be unsurprised at disappointing turnouts if he doesn't motivate people enough.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Sure, but given the reality that the community is, in fact, lazy, then said host should be unsurprised at disappointing turnouts if he doesn't motivate people enough.
The lack of motivation is not the hosts fault. If you are a competitve melee player you should already be interested in going to tournaments. I say again- it is not the hosts fault if the other players are being lazy

Cheez

Smash Apprentice
The lack of motivation is not the hosts fault. If you are a competitve melee player you should already be interested in going to tournaments. I say again- it is not the hosts fault if the other players are being lazy
i dont think he said it was the hosts fault at all....

its the fact that if the host knows people are lazy, its their responsibilty to do something about it and get hyped to make sure they get a good turnout for their tournament, and if they dont do this, they shouldnt be surprised to get a slightly low turnout

it was more about the hosts responsibility to get people going to their events more than saying its their fault for people being lazy and unmotivated

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
i dont think he said it was the hosts fault at all....

its the fact that if the host knows people are lazy, its their responsibilty to do something about it and get hyped to make sure they get a good turnout for their tournament, and if they dont do this, they shouldnt be surprised to get a slightly low turnout

it was more about the hosts responsibility to get people going to their events more than saying its their fault for people being lazy and unmotivated
where did you come from? lol you in Southampton then?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Ain't that a shame ;)
actually its realyl useful. it means i can get some mk practise for apex

i agree. however i do now know how disgracefully lazy all you ****ers are <3

which means ill be trying harder to get people to come, ill be handing out fliers at the next london monthly to people, you best take them and let people know how to get there if you came last time or ill have your head ^^

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
LOL @ Va's Falco

Needs more Prof Style Falco.

No wonder the matches were close, but I am looking forward to playing this Trif individual

Edit - All im seeing is VA's falco getting *****, you still think you're better then him VA???
Hoping I can make it down to that Brighton event to ****.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
LOL @ Va's Falco

Needs more Prof Style Falco.

No wonder the matches were close, but I am looking forward to playing this Trif individual

Edit - All im seeing is VA's falco getting *****, you still think you're better then him VA???
Hoping I can make it down to that Brighton event to ****.
have you sorted it out with Alex yet?

Degree

Smash Apprentice
Couldn't make the last monthly (or "monthly") but I'm aiming to make December 3rd, hopefully bringing my brother along as well who looks to me to have the beginnings of a pretty decent Fox. Only problem is I can't teach him anything about it. ;D

gm jack

Smash Lord
Couldn't make the last monthly (or "monthly") but I'm aiming to make December 3rd, hopefully bringing my brother along as well who looks to me to have the beginnings of a pretty decent Fox. Only problem is I can't teach him anything about it. ;D
I'll likely be hosting over the holidays again, so I'd be happy to help train him up.

Degree

Smash Apprentice
I may well be back around in Reading for part of the holidays (term finishes on the 16th December) to visit family so if it's after that then drop me a line as well.

Top Bottom